[RESOLVED] M-Mewtwo-EX Ignores Resistance Blizzard?

Tesagk

I was just in a game against a deck with M-Mewtwo-EX in it.

I already had my Regice in play, so I built up his energy and used Resistance Blizzard to kill off his initial Mewtwo-EX.

He played a M-Mewtwo-EX from his bench along with dimension valley, then used Vanishing Strike.

It killed my Regice.

I've looked at the card text several times, but I can't see any reason why my Regice should have taken any damage from his M-Mewtwo-EX. If I'm missing something, please let me know. Otherwise there's a glaring bug going on.

NO BUG HERE. SORRY.

I was just in a game against a deck with M-Mewtwo-EX in it.

I already had my Regice in play, so I built up his energy and used Resistance Blizzard to kill off his initial Mewtwo-EX.

He played a M-Mewtwo-EX from his bench along with dimension valley, then used Vanishing Strike.

It killed my Regice.

I've looked at the card text several times, but I can't see any reason why my Regice should have taken any damage from his M-Mewtwo-EX. If I'm missing something, please let me know. Otherwise there's a glaring bug going on.

Take a look at the part (I) bolded from the card:

"If there is any Stadium card in play, this attack does 50 more damage, and this attack's damage isn't affected by Resistance or any effects on your opponent's Active Pokémon."

Resistance Blizzard is an effect, and thus it gets ignored by Vanishing Strike if there is any Stadium card in play. In this case, there was a Dimension Valley in play, so Vanishing Strike's effect kicks in.

Ah ha. I read it several times and that part didn't sink in, I guess. I figured it simply did the additional damage, for some reason the "or any effects on your opponent's Active Pokemon" bit didn't exist. Nasty stuff. Wish I had a couple of my own.

Playing games has gotten brutal lately, everyone else seems to have these awesome deck setups, and I'm limping along with hobbled facsimile decks that are just weak imitations.

Thanks for the help.

Just remember that EXs aren't invincible. There are several non-EX cards that can handle them, such as Regice (as you know), Beautifly, and Garchomp, among others. M-Mewtwo could still give Regice and Beautifly trouble (as you know), but Garchomp can OHKO it with any combination of Strong Energy, Muscle Band, and Machamp support, and it only needs 2 energy cards to do it.

BTW, Hydreigon-EX's attack also ignores effects, so watch out for that. You could also use it yourself, as it's weaker but requires less setup than M-Mewtwo-EX.

Archived