Lets talk about whats unhealthy for the growth of PTCGO

JohnnyBlaze

Ill get to the point NOT OFFERING GENERATIONS PACKS for sale via tokens in PTCGO has resulted in an over-inflation of said Generation cards especially Jolteon-EX.  When a typical offer of Jolteon-EX is between 50-60 packs this is very unhealthy for the growth of the game. Not only does it result in an uneven playing field but little Johnny or Susie cant get proper testing in for upcoming tournaments.  Do you want to drive players away to sites like TCG One?  Where they can test for FREE?  There is absolutely no excuse or reason not to offer Generation packs in the online store.  It gives players the incentive to play for Tokens so that they can purchase Booster packs in the store.Thank you.

Ill get to the point NOT OFFERING GENERATIONS PACKS for sale via tokens in PTCGO has resulted in an over-inflation of said Generation cards especially Jolteon-EX. When a typical offer of Jolteon-EX is between 50-60 packs this is very unhealthy for the growth of the game. Not only does it result in an uneven playing field but little Johnny or Susie cant get proper testing in for upcoming tournaments. Do you want to drive players away to sites like TCG One? Where they can test for FREE? There is absolutely no excuse or reason not to offer Generation packs in the online store. It gives players the incentive to play for Tokens so that they can purchase Booster packs in the store.Thank you.

Believe me when I say that I'd like to see Generations packs in the shop as much as anyone else, but the way in which you present the problem is a bit overly simplistic.

First and foremost, it has already been officially confirmed that Generations packswill not be available in the token store, althouh it is possible they maybe be given out in future events. Refer to Mike's thread:

Generations packs will not be available for sale in the Game shop as they are a special release and are only available for sale through special physical products like the Mythical Mew Collection. With that said though, now that the Generations packs are in the system it would not be unusual for us to use them for future special events :)

Secondly, this isn't a new policy regarding promocional expansions. When Double Crisis was released it received the same treatment as Generations.

Thirdly, the reason for Jonteon's high price isn't its low availability but it's high gameplay value and potential as a tech in lightning decks. Of course, the price is inflated due to its availability, but don't think it would become affordable for little Johnny or little Susie if Generations were to be included in the shop. In the best case scenario, its price would drop to Shaymin EX level (15-20 packs), whichis still unaffordable for newer players unless they dump a good amount of cash on pack codes. 20 packs is obviously way better than 60, but it's still by no means affordable for people who aretrying to get into the game.

Fourth, opening tradelocked packs from the shop is not a reliable method to obtain a specefic card. Let me go back to the Shaymin EX analogy. It's worth around 20 RS packs. If you had a reasonable chanceof pulling at least 1 Shaymin EX in 20 packs, why not just open the 20 packs yourself? You would be getting 1 Shaymin EX plus 199 other cards, including several rares. The answer: because the pull ratio is to low to be reliable. I don't know the actual chance offinding 1 Shaymin EXif you open 20 RS, but I can guarantee you it's low enough that most people would rather buy the Shaymin at that price than open the packs. This is comming from an idiot who sold his first Shaymin EX for 17 RS packs and opened them all. I got it from my first RS pack, when I was still starting out. In hindsight it should have been obvious it wasa bad idea.

So the point of that entire wall of text is that even if Generations were to be in the shop, you could buy 20+ packs (that's a whopping 4000 tokens) and still not pull a single Jolteon. At that point you're better off grinding packs from tournaments untill you can buy one.

Sixth, I think it's too early to say that Jolteon will make a big enough difference to put players that can't aflford it in a clear dissadvantage. You have to consider that althouh Jolteon is a wonderful tech, dueto its lightning energy cost it becomes pretty hard to incorporate in non-lightning decks. Rainbow energies can help, but you're still dedicating space in your deck with the express purpose of making a tech card work. There's also the fact that many of the currently popular decks right now have evolved attackers.

If in the future Jolteon does become a staple, much like shaymin did, I think the PTCGO staff will have to do something to increase its availability. Giving Generations packs as a special rewards in tournaments and other such events is one possibiliy.

Lastly, you can't do proper testing on any deck without obtaining all of its pieces, so this isn't a problem exclusive to generations packs. I have a friend I met here recently who just joined a few weeks ago, and told me he wanted to test a Toad/Bats deck. And guess what, he can't, because Toad is super expensive, and opening packs from the shop untill you get 2-3 isn't an option when you don't have thousands of tokens nor the time to grind them.

Ill get to the point NOT OFFERING GENERATIONS PACKS for sale via tokens in PTCGO has resulted in an over-inflation of said Generation cards especially Jolteon-EX.  When a typical offer of Jolteon-EX is between 50-60 packs this is very unhealthy for the growth of the game. Not only does it result in an uneven playing field but little Johnny or Susie cant get proper testing in for upcoming tournaments.  Do you want to drive players away to sites like TCG One?  Where they can test for FREE?  There is absolutely no excuse or reason not to offer Generation packs in the online store.  It gives players the incentive to play for Tokens so that they can purchase Booster packs in the store.Thank you.

First off this is a "special set" and to my knowledge they have NEVER had a special set in the shop(although DC did get a tournament) and they actually have EVERY right to not put them in the shop or tournaments. And also, Jolteon-EX Is just as expensive IRL as it is in-game and generations packs are almost as hard to get also, but prices will go down with time so just be patient, and while I have the ability to buy a few, I'm gonna wait a month or so before I get any.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they going to soon? It took them some time to put BP in the stores too.

No I do not believe so, and BP just took longer due to some malfunctions during the game update. :)

let me break down this argument bit by bit:

1. firstly, all rights to gonzomd1993 for everything he said before I did. I agree with pretty much every line in his post.

2. generations packs has a slow release over multiple mythical boxes. meaning you have 9+ chances to get generations packs over the year and that it was MEANT to be rare.

3.Building on the fact that it was meant to be rare, we can see that jolteon-ex is a wonderful card. it's a very good tech in decks, and though it can only be used 1-2 of in decks, you can easily see why it is there.

4. this is the same argument that was made for tropical beach. The fact that tropical beach was in fact more than 1.5 x the price of sr ultraball at one point pretty much denotes the fact of what I have to say. It's probably the only other expensive card (over 40ish packs) which is exclusively available in the expensive version. Meaning it has no substitute and was expensive. Lets face it, there are gonna be expensive cards. Considering that only one mythical box has released, it would just be a bad idea for their business to give out something so early. From a theoretical standpoint. It's going to drop anyways

Things That Are Unhealthy For The PTCGO:

• The Apocalypse
  • WWIII
  • Lack of Internet
  • Lack of Snacks
  • Night March

Please change my post to this.. Fix all the above problems and then worry about jolteon :P

First of all, this.

I cannot even begin to describe how true this is

Things That Are Unhealthy For The PTCGO:

• The Apocalypse
  • WWIII
  • Lack of Internet
  • Lack of Snacks
  • Night March

Also, Generations IRL has an MSRP of $12.99 USD per box, but as of now, I Have not been able to find it for under $29.95. Is this unhealthy for TPCi?

First of all, this.

I cannot even begin to describe how true this is

Also, Generations IRL has an MSRP of $12.99 USD per box, but as of now, I Have not been able to find it for under $29.95. Is this unhealthy for TPCi?

that's rough. I was lucky enough to get them at retail price for the 4 boxes I have bought so far. they are becoming harder and harder to find though. I don't think the stores are getting more than a box or two at a time of them.

Forgive My ignorance but do the 20th anneversary boxes come with the same sleeves found ingame?

They come with the Mew/Celebi sleeves you have seen in the game, depending on which box you get.

Forgive My ignorance but do the 20th anneversary boxes come with the same sleeves found ingame?

I haven't gotten a box, due to the overinflated expense at all of my local mass merchandisers, but I don't think the physical boxes come with sleeves.

and IMO if a set has cards you can get in other sets, then those cards should be offered in the store, this is supposed to be a causal fun game, so the only way to get generations packs is through RNG (LOL THAT...) or through buying them in shops... this is a casual game, not pay2win.

so this needs making fair.

oh and ladder grind is creating toxic games.

and IMO if a set has cards you can get in other sets, then those cards should be offered in the store, this is supposed to be a causal fun game, so the only way to get generations packs is through RNG (LOL THAT...) or through buying them in shops... this is a casual game, not pay2win.

so this needs making fair.

oh and ladder grind is creating toxic games.

How is it not fair? I have to work a job to pay for my cards just like anybody else. What's not fair is expecting a handout because mommy and daddy won't buy you a pack of cards.

How is it not fair? I have to work a job to pay for my cards just like anybody else. What's not fair is expecting a handout because mommy and daddy won't buy you a pack of cards.

You should try not to take phalanx too seriously. Talking to him is as fruitful as talking to a brick wall xd

Secondly, this isn't a new policy regarding promocional expansions. When Double Crisis was released it received the same treatment as Generations.

Actually Double crisis is available in the shop...Gems only though.

Actually Double crisis is available in the shop...Gems only though.

I.e. Canada sends its regards to the rest of the world xd I get what you mean but what I was getting at is that Generations won't be added to the token store as OP requested.

Distribution of pokemon cards IRL was amazing during WoTC's operation, once it was sold out, the game has never been the same! :( Sadly, in this generation, this now includes the online getting the same negative treatment.

I've been saying the same thing about single pack promo's not getting codes, or some being released (like jirachi) being somewhat competitive staples and the shop not reflecting the need to feed the communal saturation. I could understand this game trying to simulate the real life version if; We had actual real tournaments online, (similar to VG but not having to show up to LAN to participate) IMO this is why hearthstone is leading on the current market and will hold that market digitally for years to come, due to them realizing that we are living in a digital age, and that the game should reflect as such!

Sadly I doubt pokemon will ever go back to the glory days of WoTC as far as distribution, or that it will improve for the online community! We are little more than a joke I feel as far as TCG/CCG players. Having anyone listen on here either, I doubt will be helpful, sorry if this sounds negative, but returning back after 17+ years, hasn't been the best experience online, or in real life thus far, especially in real life, due to every place in my area treating pokemon like the plague and not having any real events! Or if they do have them, they don't nearly take them as serious as they do MTG.

So, my hope was that the online would get better, or at least add a more competitive environment in the future, but my hopes are slowly fading, and the sad part is, there's so much potential, and so little who care..... (Being the health of the game and general concerns.)

I'm in my thirties and have seen this franchise go from major popularity with all ages, to being saturated so much so that is only acceptable for ages 13 and younger tbh. From the pokemon (yes POKEMON, "Pocket Monsters!") turning into my little pony spoon-fed, ******** veggies, wash your hands, morale compass guide for kids. Pokemon used to be "cool" with a concept of interesting design and great distribution, now it seems for the TCG that it is a quick buck off the kiddo's and new-comers alike to the franchise.

Online, I don't see this game getting better or fairer! People might see this as the accessible norm, but yet again, using HS as an example, there is a better way to do it that satisfies the consumer as well as the company. Sadly this is going the be the fate of PTCGO though. [A low population, unsaturated secondary market, and frustrated fan base online, and IRL due to some locations having little to no events this gen.)

I'll still be around, still playing, still building decks, but obviously, this feeling wont shake off, and probably wont unless the something is done to appease the fan base for a whole new gen of fans, that are growing up in a digital age! As well as the old-school base.

that's not the point though is it, the point is, I buy my box (and did) I got 2 packs.... and a code for ONE

I could buy them.. but guess what.. sold out, out of stock.

and my 2 RL booster packs were better then the 4-5 I have had in game (1 FA ex and 1 EX in the same pack...)

and the price of these boxes are nearly double the price of the average blister pack.

oh and all i see at main ******* here are "out of stock", so no money will get me the box will it?

what does working and paying for YOUR cards have to do with anything? I was making the point that the game turns into P2W as soon as they are unavailable in game themselves.

that's not the point though is it, the point is, I buy my box (and did) I got 2 packs.... and a code for ONE

I could buy them.. but guess what.. sold out, out of stock.

and my 2 RL booster packs were better then the 4-5 I have had in game (1 FA ex and 1 EX in the same pack...)

and the price of these boxes are nearly double the price of the average blister pack.

oh and all i see at main ******* here are "out of stock", so no money will get me the box will it?

what does working and paying for YOUR cards have to do with anything? I was making the point that the game turns into P2W as soon as they are unavailable in game themselves.

EDIT: lol your name is censored for some reason. Go figure. I had to shorten it out a bit.

Dej can sometimes be brutally honest but I do understand his point. If I understood correctly his point was that Generations packs are not that impossibly hard to obtain.

Saying that the game is turnng into p2w is a massive stretch of the current situation. There are some really good cards that are really hard to obtain if you don't spend a lot of money on codes, but that's limited to only a handful of cards, and while they're definetly good (the typical example being promo jurachi, although there are others), they aren't game-breakers. You can most definetly win consistantly without spending a cent in this game. Buying stuff helps but it's not a requirement to win.

I honestly don't know why I even bother trying to use logic on you when you don't listen to jack of what anyone has to say xd I swear to god I need to fix this habit of compulsively answering to everything. Oh well.

what logic are you bringing?

if these packs were easy to obtain, the cost of the cards wouldn't be extreme in the first place, then there would be no thread.

I have opened FIVE of these boosters in game, and got for rares

Dodrio - reprint from breakthrough

Golem - reprint from flashfire

Hitmonchan - reprint from Furious fists

Parasect -  reprint from Breakthrough

and FA sylveon EX

and 5 energy cards - one pack contained 2

so yes.. give me a reason to trade away those cards for a generations booster again and give me a reason to spend money on codes, and also the actual things are OUT OF STOCK, therefore I cant buy them anyway.

therefore I can not get these cards.

and the actual act of buying the cards with REAL MONEY makes it pay to win, especially given the market for them in game is player controlled.

I can not buy them for 200 credits, they are not on ladder, only way to get them is RNG, or BUYING.

and given what I have received from the packs, I see no value in it.

can win without spending.

yea I wish i could have multiple generaions EX cards... 4 greninja breaks, with manpahy ex etc... if anything the game has got harder to earn anything since they added the last set.. I dont have time for Ladder AND tournies, and haven't since the Ipad app was crashing TWO UPDATES AGO, its already 1-2 hours for 100 points on the ladder.

50 minutes of losing because of RNG, and people playing easymode, oh generations decks..

really. its time this rubbish was fixed so players are not crippled for doing dailies or unfair match ups.

until ladder is made easier then "powerful" cards are too hard to reach for average joe, because they still have to get the cards, if you cant get the cards you cant compete, if you cant compete you win nothing, diddly squat.

The generation set only has one pokemon that is useful for competition, which is Jolteon-EX, everything else isnt any better than other cards released in the past.  The point made about dailies taking forever has been answered repeatedly, there not that tough, you just make it that way.  Finally your complaint about only pulling a Sylveon-EX in 5 packs, gave me a laugh, 1 EX in 5 packs isnt that bad, could you get more sure, most players would, but getting 1 in 5 packs is much better than what others have gotten.  

edit: also greninja and manaphy are easily obtained, they can be traded for a 4 packs each at most, nothing expensive like shaymin.

Reality check!

Generations isn't going to be added to the game shop, so this heated debate is kind of pointless... In all honesty, it's also threatening to turn into a flame war.

For those of you who want the world handed to them on a silver platter, good luck. You'll need it.

For those who are willing to struggle along to get what they want, and not whine about how long it's taking, congratulations! You have achieved enlightenment.

This is the guru, and I'm leaving this thread before someone gets killed...

Adios,

-Da Señor Guru

what logic are you bringing?

if these packs were easy to obtain, the cost of the cards wouldn't be extreme in the first place, then there would be no thread.

I have opened FIVE of these boosters in game, and got for rares

Dodrio - reprint from breakthrough

Golem - reprint from flashfire

Hitmonchan - reprint from Furious fists

Parasect - reprint from Breakthrough

and FA sylveon EX

and 5 energy cards - one pack contained 2

so yes.. give me a reason to trade away those cards for a generations booster again and give me a reason to spend money on codes, and also the actual things are OUT OF STOCK, therefore I cant buy them anyway.

therefore I can not get these cards.

and the actual act of buying the cards with REAL MONEY makes it pay to win, especially given the market for them in game is player controlled.

I can not buy them for 200 credits, they are not on ladder, only way to get them is RNG, or BUYING.

and given what I have received from the packs, I see no value in it.

can win without spending.

yea I wish i could have multiple generaions EX cards... 4 greninja breaks, with manpahy ex etc... if anything the game has got harder to earn anything since they added the last set.. I dont have time for Ladder AND tournies, and haven't since the Ipad app was crashing TWO UPDATES AGO, its already 1-2 hours for 100 points on the ladder.

50 minutes of losing because of RNG, and people playing easymode, oh generations decks..

really. its time this rubbish was fixed so players are not crippled for doing dailies or unfair match ups.

until ladder is made easier then "powerful" cards are too hard to reach for average joe, because they still have to get the cards, if you cant get the cards you cant compete, if you cant compete you win nothing, diddly squat.

you're complaining that you didn't get pulls? sounds very... (dang I can't even say the word here cuz mods or someone else will get offended.. Sorry guys but i'm beating you to the censor)

if you find no value in the packs, it pretty much makes no sense that you would want them available.. in that way, pokemon would be doing you a favour by saving you two hundred coins!

"4 greninja breaks, with manpahy ex etc... if anything the game has got harder to earn anything since they added the last set."

what the (fill in my next word here if you know it guys) greninja and manaphy aren't even in generations. They are by far two of the cheapest new cards I've seen (I've been able to get greninja breaks at 2 and manaphy at 4- far far less than some other cards- points at shaymin-ex)

and wow dude. Average joe needs a lot of information about the game since clearly he didn't realize that 80% of generations was either a reprint or a relatively weak card compared to tier 1 cards. (only useful ones are jolteon-ex and maybe flareon-ex)

all in all.. dude just research a bit before making an argument.. The speed at which it falls apart is hilarious.

A shout out to my man gonzomd for not getting them hands dirty.. I however couldn't resist it

Archived