Kyurem EX. The best card yet?

DotCopple44

I was looking into my card collection and I noticed a Kyurem EX I obtained recently from the Ancient Origins expansion. I noticed something peculiar about the card.

On its second attack, Icecalibur, four energy for 130 damage is pretty decent, discarding an energy is common for a Pokemon like Kyurem, but not letting the opponent attack next turn. IS THAT BEAST OR WHAT!

Tell me what you think

It's the defending pokemon, not the opponent, which is a big difference.  This effect can be cleared by switching the active pokemon.

Pokemon have had attacks with the same or similar effects for years and none of them are considered OP.

It's the defending pokemon, not the opponent, which is a big difference.  This effect can be cleared by switching the active pokemon.

Pokemon have had attacks with the same or similar effects for years and none of them are considered OP.

actually dialga-ex was pretty op at its point in time just because of its ability to block exs. Extrapolating that, kyurem would be a pretty neat card. However:

1. Kyurem-ex needs 4 energy-

say no more. 4 energy is just too much in today's meta

2. kyurem-ex does an awkward amount of damage-

it cannot ko even with muscle band and empoleon/other 20 damage support

3. glaciate is too weak a supporting attack-

not much more to be said right there. Dialga had its 150 damage attack which obliterated a lot of the 170 hp-exs

4. no support-

whether it be in the form of bronzongs/eels/other cards, or an accessory attacker such as cobalion/terrakion/suicune in older decks. It just doesn't have the support it needs to pull this off.

I've actually been playing that Kyurem-EX in standard... The trick is to give it a lot of support around it. But once you do, it can make for some awesome matches!

Cards to consider:

-Palkia-EX to help with energy acceleration. It can also work as an alternate attacker, too, in case of issues of weakness.

-Max Elixir to add even more energy quickly: You need energy coming from all fronts to help develop it.

-Fighting Fury Belt to increase Kyurem-EX's HP by a good amount.

-Cassius - Okay, it's an odd card choice, but using it will salvage all the resources you had to put on a Kyurem that's about to get Knocked out back into your deck to reuse on your next Kyurem-EX you develop.

-Slowking is a very good partner to move energy off of opponents - and so that you can use Glaciate much more effectively: Move an energy to your opponent's benched Pokemon you're about to knock out, for instance.

-Manaphy-EX is the best option for retreat for this EX.

Sure, one could argue that Seismitoad-EX might just be the superior EX for this deck build I've used... And yet, I just don't like playing Seismitoad. It's too boring. v_v

that card is not fun to play lol. i hated it. i traded mine due to how bad it was when i played it.
but to be fair it can be a good attacker if you can keep the opponent from switching. as one person said if the opponent switches it will not work with the oponent not able to attack. i did that and was still able to attack.

now there was a bug with it tho. but it did get patched.

i would say palkia-ex from bp is the best way of going to get it set up tho. same with manopy for switching with no energy cost.

Kyurem-EX has actually gotten much better with the new release, because now you can pair him with Palkia and use Max Elixir. And yes, his attack is quite awsome. I've used him with Mega Manectric. The ultimate combo is you ***** Muscle Band on him, then when you hit an EX for 150 you can KO them on the following turn, even if they retreat. A lot of times when the active can't attack the opponent will try to retreat and bring out someone else, but if its a 180 HP EX and they retreat they will have only 30 HP left, so you can then use the first attack and hit them on the bench for 30 and KO them anyway.

That may not work as much now with Fighting Fury Belt, but just run like 1 Megaphone and 1 Xerosic and you should be able to deal with that pretty well too.

It could even be possible to do something like Palkia-EX, Kyurem-EX, Manaphy-EX and Vileplume to prevent switching, but that may be too much of a challenge. However, if you ran only 2-2-2 Vileplume and didn't try for the turn 1 lock it may actually work.

One key with any water pokemon that does bench damage is you can't really run Rough Seas, or if you do, only run 2 and also run 2 of some other Stadium, becuase against water or electric you want to be able to discard Rough Seas. Delinquent also works for this.

Kyurem-EX has actually gotten much better with the new release, because now you can pair him with Palkia and use Max Elixir. And yes, his attack is quite awsome. I've used him with Mega Manectric. The ultimate combo is you ***** Muscle Band on him, then when you hit an EX for 150 you can KO them on the following turn, even if they retreat. A lot of times when the active can't attack the opponent will try to retreat and bring out someone else, but if its a 180 HP EX and they retreat they will have only 30 HP left, so you can then use the first attack and hit them on the bench for 30 and KO them anyway.

That may not work as much now with Fighting Fury Belt, but just run like 1 Megaphone and 1 Xerosic and you should be able to deal with that pretty well too.

It could even be possible to do something like Palkia-EX, Kyurem-EX, Manaphy-EX and Vileplume to prevent switching, but that may be too much of a challenge. However, if you ran only 2-2-2 Vileplume and didn't try for the turn 1 lock it may actually work.

One key with any water pokemon that does bench damage is you can't really run Rough Seas, or if you do, only run 2 and also run 2 of some other Stadium, becuase against water or electric you want to be able to discard Rough Seas. Delinquent also works for this.

yes but if they switch they can attack tho. if its like a mewtwo ex with aero ball or mega mewtwo y that poke is done in one hit tho.

or if they use safeguard poke against it then it does no good lol. but it can be a decent poke tho if it set up right. but it has allot of disadvantages to my opinion.

I actually do follow much of the other advice listed: I put in a Delinquent, and Split my stadiums between 2 Rough Seas and 2 Sky Field - Sky field helps to add space for the Slowkings.

Another tech I put in is an Energy Switch. That card adds more consistency in the Max Elixir engine, I'm finding.

Archived