[CARD] Forest of Giant Plants (Ancient Origins #74) - When this card is in play, Evosoda (XY #116, Generations #62) cannot be played

Akherousia6

Been running my Serperior deck lately 'cause I'm working through a Grass challenge and consistently Forest of Giant Plants has been nothing more than a waste of space. I figured it was a minor situational bug, but it's occurred a dozen times now and has not once been useable when I needed it to be.

First turn, draw Snivy, an Evosoda, and Forest of Giant Plants. Play Snivy, throw down Forest, still won't let me use Evosoda?

Next turn, draw Serperior and use Evosoda. Can't evolve Servine to Serperior..?

Been running my Serperior deck lately 'cause I'm working through a Grass challenge and consistently Forest of Giant Plants has been nothing more than a waste of space. I figured it was a minor situational bug, but it's occurred a dozen times now and has not once been useable when I needed it to be.

First turn, draw Snivy, an Evosoda, and Forest of Giant Plants. Play Snivy, throw down Forest, still won't let me use Evosoda?

Next turn, draw Serperior and use Evosoda. Can't evolve Servine to Serperior..?

This has been reported a few times and it's still unclear as to wether it is intentional or not. It would be really nice if someone from the staff could confirm it.

It doesn't say so explicitly in the card, but it would seem that FotGPs effect only works when you play the evolution from your hand. I'm actually gonna go post it in TPCi Mike's thread to get this doubt cleared once and for all xd Who knows, he might know the answer.

Exactly @felidae_...

The thing with Evosoda is that the card specifically says that you can't evolve a Pokemon that has been put into play this turn. This is not reminder text, it is a condition that must be met in order to play the card (note the lack of parentheses on the rule that states when you may not use the card).

Remember when I said it's happening in multiple contexts? It's but one example, I'm having trouble evolving even straight from the hand. The card isn't working like it used to whatsoever.

This isn't a bug.

please check out this thread, where I try to explain in detail what works and waht doesn't work under FogP :).

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/32899-card-forest-of-giant-plants-ancient-origins-74-this-card-allows-multiple-evolutions-in-one-turn/

Exactly @felidae_...

The thing with Evosoda is that the card specifically says that you can't evolve a Pokemon that has been put into play this turn. This is not reminder text, it is a condition that must be met in order to play the card (note the lack of parentheses on the rule that states when you may not use the card).

I should have done a more in depth search before I posted that xd Thanks for pointing me towards the answer.

Remember when I said it's happening in multiple contexts? It's but one example, I'm having trouble evolving even straight from the hand. The card isn't working like it used to whatsoever.

That would sound like a bug, but under what conditions can you not evolve from the hand using FotGP?

are u sure its grass ur evolving?

i just tested it out 3 times. i was able to evolve 3 grass types no issues. with them from hand to bench.

i was even able to use evosoda. tho i think that was a bug tho. but i can evolve my grass types no issue

are u sure its grass ur evolving?

i just tested it out 3 times. i was able to evolve 3 grass types no issues. with them from hand to bench.

i was even able to use evosoda. tho i think that was a bug tho. but i can evolve my grass types no issue

That probably wasn't your first turn or the turn said pokemon came into play. Evosoda still works normally when FotGP is in play, so if wasn't the first turn you can still use it to evolve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Trainers!

To clarify, Evosoda cannot be used on your first turn or on a Pokémon that was put into play that turn (even when Forest of Giant Plants is in play) because it specifically says so on the card.

However, there is currently a known issue with the interaction between these two cards. From the Known Issues thread:

• Evosoda (XY #116): This card can occasionally target ineligible Pokémon while Forest of Giant Plants (AOR #74) is in play, causing the evolution card selected to be discarded.

Does this sound like the problem you've been experiencing? If not, we'd appreciate if you could provide some more detail.

Thanks for your patience! :)

Archived