New Player's Queue for Tournament

GonzoMD1993

First of all, I want to mention that I have no idea if this suggestion is even feasible given how problematic it seems to add new queues, but I think something needs to be done about matchmaking in Tournaments.

Today while playing tournaments I run into a guy who had just started playing 4 days ago. I am no PTCG master myself but I had  an obviously massive advantage by having the stronger deck and more game experience. This has actually happened a few times and every single time I feel like a horrible person for beating them. Sometimes I just concede to allow them to move on, but I can't do that every single time either.

I think the matchmaking works fairly well in VS, but that's because there isn't a single queue where several different people with very different collection sizes and game experies join to play. My suggestion to give new players a fair chance at playing tournaments without getting matched up with the more experienced players every single time is to make a special queue for them.

So I know this wouldn't exactly be easy to implement and I'm not even sure if it's viable in the first place, but here's a few ways in which I can imagine this being done:

• Make a queue that only shows up if your MMR/ELO is below a certain level. There would obviously still be a difference in skill between the players who just joined and those who are on the upper limit of the MMR, but it would be less notorious than now.

• Make a queue that only allows players below a certain Trainer Level. As far as I can tell, smurfing isn't something that people do in this game, so I don't see someone making a new account exclusively to go stomp new players in the tournaments. I guess the people who just never bothered with dailies could also access the queue, but such players would know better than to go stomp newbies on purpose right? (I really hope I'm not overestimating the veteran's goodwill xd).

• Make a queue that only allows players who have a collection that's below a certain amount. I would expect new players to have small collections so this might work.

• Make a queue that only allows players with less than a predetermined amount of games.

• A combination of any of these limiters.

I know that there's the theme format (which avoid the problem of having the better deck) and that they can just avoid Tournaments altogether until they're ready, but I think I'd be nice if they could get to experience Standard tournaments earlier without having to play against people they stand zero chance of winning against.

I definitely agree. I enjoy winning booster packs as much as the next guy but twice today I could tell these players were new and did not stand a chance of winning. Both of them were basically using basic blue in a standard tournament and the game was over in less than 5 turns.

I will be honest, I don't really like people so I won't say it hurts my feelings too much when I wipe the floor with the new guy. However, this can't be good for the game as a whole if new players are turned off right away because they are getting demolished.

Excellent Idea Gonzo, I really do hope something like this gets implemented in the future.
I recently got into TCGO as well and felt the disappointments that come about when new players join tournaments.

Since starting a few weeks ago I only managed to win 1 tournament out of maybe 15ish tries.

I chalked it up as good luck since the person in the finals seemed to have a much better deck but a terrible draw.

(And I consider myself very lucky to find the cards I needed for my Gardevior and Trevenant decks, but still only have 1 of each.)

Excellent Idea Gonzo, I really do hope something like this gets implemented in the future.

I recently got into TCGO as well and felt the disappointments that come about when new players join tournaments.

Since starting a few weeks ago I only managed to win 1 tournament out of maybe 15ish tries.

I chalked it up as good luck since the person in the finals seemed to have a much better deck but a terrible draw.

(And I consider myself very lucky to find the cards I needed for my Gardevior and Trevenant decks, but still only have 1 of each.)

Hey, thanks man. I really do hope this gets taken into considerationin the furue. 

You could say it was bad luck, but the thing is that there are a LOT of eperienced players playing tournaments, it's sadly really common for new players with incomplete decks to get matched against veterans using competitive decks. It's not really anyone's fault but it's how the current state of tournaments is for new trainers and I feel like you guys could really benefit from having a dedicated queue where you can gather experience and booster packs, so that by the time you have to face the experienced players you will have an adecuate deck and game experience.

Archived