Lots of disconnects in the middle of tournaments and versus matches

Poké-Prophet

Mind you, I can play other games just fine... such examples include League of Legends, Fiesta Online, Minecraft (on a remote server), and Guild Wars 2. But if I wanted to play those right now, I would; I'd rather play Pokemon Trading Card Game Online.

What happens is in the middle of a battle versus another player (tourny or versus) - and it happens multiple times a day - the little connection icon with a ? will appear... and then I'll eventually get the countdown. And my messages won't go through to the other player. And I won't be able to concede. And neither will they. The only way to get out of it is to close the game itself. No error message pops up or anything, but this problem still occurs.

This problem only came with the newest patch, so I can assume it's a new problem rather than an old one.

Any way I can fix this? I already tried reinstalling and restarting and it's still a problem that persists.

Verizon FiOS 75mbps up and down

Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4 GHz)

16 GB RAM

Windows 10

welcome to the club. these disconnects happen all too often.

I got all excited when I saw a message here, only to see you weren't someone who was part of the Pokemon team with a solution. :(

I got all excited when I saw a message here, only to see you weren't someone who was part of the Pokemon team with a solution. :(

sorry to let you down. I've been dealing with daily disconnects ever since I started this game. After several support tickets and posts on this forum, with no help given, I have just given up and accepted the fact that their servers are trash.

I don't think this is a problem of the servers alone. Many people do experience frequent disconections, but not everyone does. If it were just the servers everyone would be disconecting, no exceptions.

It's clear that it's not a problem of your computer specs either, since you have a pretty strong computer and can run other (more demanding) games without problem. I have a much weaker computer than yours, and yet I rarely ever d/c.

I'm not that tech savvy so I can't really pinpoint the cause myself. If I had so speculate though, only 3 ideas come to mind:

• Some OS seem to have more trouble running the PTCGO than others, for whatever reason. I'm using Windows 8 and it works perfectly. You would need to ask other Windows 10 users to know if they're experiencing the same problem.

• Distance from the physical location of the servers. I used to play league about a year ago, and the distance from the server made a massive difference. In the NA server I had 150 ping permanent (you can probably imagine how disgustingly bad that is), while over here in the LAS server (which to my luck just so happened to be located in Chile, my country), using the same computer and internet connection, I had 10 ping permanent. The strange thing though is that the high ping in the NA server never caused any d/c for me, it only made me lag super hard, so I'm not sure if server distance could really make you d/c that often (assuming you're far from the server in the first place, since I have no idea of where you're located nor where the servers are located).

• Internet connection. A weak internet connection would make you lag and/or disconect easily, regardless of the strength of your computer. The thing is that if you have no problem running league with your internet connection I don't see how you would have a bad connection here.

If it's none of those then I have no idea. These are the only causes I can think of.

I've been playing for a long time as well, but the disconnects that I've experienced today have been more frequent than any I've ever experienced.  The game is simply shutting down unexpectedly.  I haven't been able to finish a single Versus match all day.  

I don't think this is a problem of the servers alone. Many people do experience frequent disconections, but not everyone does. If it were just the servers everyone would be disconecting, no exceptions.

It's clear that it's not a problem of your computer specs either, since you have a pretty strong computer and can run other (more demanding) games without problem. I have a much weaker computer than yours, and yet I rarely ever d/c.

I'm not that tech savvy so I can't really pinpoint the cause myself. If I had so speculate though, only 3 ideas come to mind:

• Some OS seem to have more trouble running the PTCGO than others, for whatever reason. I'm using Windows 8 and it works perfectly. You would need to ask other Windows 10 users to know if they're experiencing the same problem.

• Distance from the physical location of the servers. I used to play league about a year ago, and the distance from the server made a massive difference. In the NA server I had 150 ping permanent (you can probably imagine how disgustingly bad that is), while over here in the LAS server (which to my luck just so happened to be located in Chile, my country), using the same computer and internet connection, I had 10 ping permanent. The strange thing though is that the high ping in the NA server never caused any d/c for me, it only made me lag super hard, so I'm not sure if server distance could really make you d/c that often (assuming you're far from the server in the first place, since I have no idea of where you're located nor where the servers are located).

• Internet connection. A weak internet connection would make you lag and/or disconect easily, regardless of the strength of your computer. The thing is that if you have no problem running league with your internet connection I don't see how you would have a bad connection here.

If it's none of those then I have no idea. These are the only causes I can think of.

1. It was working prior to this patch for me, so I don't think it's Windows 10 inherently, if it has to do with my OS.
  2. I live in NYC. If their servers are as west as California, as south as Brazil, or as east as Ireland, my ping should be (based off of my League experience) no more than 110ms... which is plenty playable.
  3. My internet is good. 75 mbps upload and download. I run league and play regularly on the EUW server without lag or losing my connection.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the problem. Ping is simply how many hops it takes for one computer to talk to another computer, in this case, the server. My knowledge of networking sort of ends there. However, I'm wondering if the game gives up too easily on connections with high ping, waiting for a response, not getting one, and promptly disconnecting the player.

But it isn't disconnecting, the entire program is "unexpectedly quitting."  Not sure if that's helpful, but that's what I'm getting.

I read somewhere that other programs like Skype for example can cause problems to PTCGO. Try closing all or your programs before using PTCGO. And if that doesn't work, try right clicking on PTCGO and then click on "run as administrator". These steps helped fix my problems and i hope it fixes your's too :)

nothing to do with other programs, it happens when you play for a time period, i just lost a game because it went to red (and I had a connection...) then back to yellow with game completely frozen.

its happened for 2 patches now, and the Ipad version is even worse for this.

and now first match of the night lags out again.

fed up of this now.

But it isn't disconnecting, the entire program is "unexpectedly quitting."  Not sure if that's helpful, but that's what I'm getting.

I played for two days, no issues and today it either closes completely with no message or anything, or it freezes looking for a match.

This happens to me like once a day. Connection seems to just drop regardless of your own internet connection.

Hopefully they can fix it in the future or find another way to make it more stable.

Ps: Pay no mind If someone tells you it's your internet connection

and once again, it disconnects mid battle and I lose, when i was winning the game and doing a daily.
this is beyond a joke, fix the servers or stop penalising players for this, on Limited time this is just slowing down ladder progress, would have got 15 points for that win, instead i get 0 and wasted time.

especially as I had to RESTART again for buttons to work.

Archived