Matching System?

Tesagk

What sort of matching system is used in Versus matches?

I ask, because, since my fiance and I have only begun to play, most of our decks lack EX pokemon and all of the other bells and whistles that some of the more competitive decks have. Yet we routinely face decks where the benches are saturated in EX pokemon. As fun as the game is, it's not particularly fun to face a deck that you simply cannot do anything to.

So how are matchups made? Is it random? Is there an ELO?

It has never been confirmed 100% (as far as I know) but we are pretty sure it has to do with the amount of total points. You can check this on your statistics under the Lvl Tag.

What sort of matching system is used in Versus matches?

I ask, because, since my fiance and I have only begun to play, most of our decks lack EX pokemon and all of the other bells and whistles that some of the more competitive decks have. Yet we routinely face decks where the benches are saturated in EX pokemon. As fun as the game is, it's not particularly fun to face a deck that you simply cannot do anything to.

So how are matchups made? Is it random? Is there an ELO?

There is, in fact, an ELO system that determines your opponent in Versus. It is sometimes reffered to as MMR (match making rate). The exact things that factor into your ELO are unkown to the players, but the more obvious ones would be the number of games played and winrate.

Now, do keep in mind that having a deck full of pokemon EX does not make the deck good necessarily. Many of the stronger decks in the current meta are either EX free or use very few EX that are necessary for support (with the most notable one being Shaymin EX, which can be replaced by a 2-2 Octillery line if you don't have any Shaymins). The most popular example would be night march / vespiqueen variants, and currently Trevenant XY which has seen a rise in popularity.

I think I'm not gonna plague this thread as well with my massive, unreadable walls of text xd But I made a post the other day explaining why having a ton of EX pokemon is not necessarily good and about strategy/metagame basics. I'll leave you the link in case you're interested (it's very long but I think it's an interesting read). Here it is: http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/38860-format-problems/

Archived