Why do trades cost so much?

BalticBananza

Hello, I am fairly new to this game. I have done trainer challenge so I have gotten quite a few locked boosters. My question though is why does it cost so many coins to make a trade offer? I don't have many tradable cards, and I like to spend my coins on boosters. But if I do that, then I don't have enough coins to try to trade for the cards I need for decks or to grow my collection. I could understand maybe 3 coins for a trade, but 8 seems like a lot to me. Does everyone feel the same or is there a better way to get coins? Or maybe I should not buy locked boosters from the store?

On Public Trades, you get those coins back if someone actually takes your trade offer. So it's essentially free if you offer decent trade offers. The fee is there to prevent people from flooding the market with awful trades offers that nobody would take. Think of it as a quality-assurance deposit that you'll get back if your trade is good.

Private Trading is completely free. You can talk to people on the Trading chat and make trade offer agreements with them, then you can post the Private Trade offer directly to them. It's absolutely free. If you want, you can even sent random trade offers to strangers without talking to them before hand. They may accept them or reject them, at no additional cost to you.

I hope all that makes sense. If not, let me so so I can try to clarify better. :) Good luck trading.

In my opinion is better to get the Theme decks. Knowing in advance wich ones are better than the rest and wich interesting supporting pokémon and trainers come in is very interesting to get some of the theme.

The way to get coins is playing, just playing. They are for free everywhere (tournamentes, wheels, ladder...)

I think the trades should not have to cost coins, as it was before but, they did that to make the people only to publish trades that are really interested in. and trying to be fair trades because if not, you loose the coins. On the other hand can be a fair trade but nobody interested in so, youu loose the coins anyway.

The only "problem" is if you daon't have so much time to play, but that's another thing... (It was 3 months for me to get the cards I needed to make my 1st competitive deck and it was a Night March which is a cheaper one so don't surrender, now it's easier with all that prizes and coins everywhere)

The trade cost was put in place cause some people would literally spam hundreds oh insanely bad trades and everyone was getting sick of it. But, as Tyrantrum said, you do get your coins back if your trade gets accepted. And coins are very easy to obtain, you can get them from playing and from chests but i do agree that it would be nice to have no trade cost or a reduced trade cost.

Now you can get a competitive deck in a day, I know someone who started in mid January and within 4-5 days had a very playable deck, now if they play or not is another thing but that is just goes to show that you can make a good deck in a very short amount of time. :)

Thank you all for your responses. I do play in real life, so I know a good bit about the meta game, making good decks and such. I just feel like there are not alot of public trade offers going on because people don't want to lose coins. I started this game from the suggestion of a friend who as far as I know is a big trader, and coin costs is something he is not a fan of either. My problem is that I don't have a ton of time to play games every day, and also that I think people want too much for their cards when privately discussing trades. I still think it could be lowered, but at least I understand why the fee is there now. 

I for one am an advocate of lowering the cost, or removing it altogether. I understand that it did take away the vast majority of spam trades (I was here for a very long time when it was free to make 8 hour trades), but it also did what in my opinion is very bad: making far less offers. People don't want to lose coins, so they do not  post trades. Especially when you are looking for something older and more expensive, it is very rare that even a fair trade gets accepted the first time. 

Personally I would suggest not buying locked cards. Use your coins to try to get the cards that you need through public. Once you get your hands on a competitive deck (Night march is very cheap to get, and many players will help you out if you are kind), you can get tradable packs from winning games in tournaments. Then you can trade those for cards you need to start a better deck :) 

Unfortunately, I'm almost positive that the 8 token cost is here to stay, but there are ways to still make public trading work. Like Chickenman said, there are lots of ways to get coins. Playing games, daily challenges, chests, etc. Then making fair trades that get accepted doesn't cost a thing :)

Are there other good ways to earn coins besides playing games and doing challenges? Or do I just need to grind games with theme decks or mediocre decks in standard format to work my way up?

Are there other good ways to earn coins besides playing games and doing challenges? Or do I just need to grind games with theme decks or mediocre decks in standard format to work my way up?

Pretty much just grind your way up lol.

Archived