Format Problems

TimmyFTW3

Sooo I just recently got back into TCG Online. I ended up making a couple decks to have fun with, head into versus and what do I get out of the Standard format?

EVERY player I get matched against uses nothing but EX cards. So what's the point in standard if megas, ex's, and break cards are allowed?

I figured maybe the Expanded format should be the only format to have these cards. 

It's just not fun when every deck in standard is made of nothing but EX cards.

Not to mention EX cards ruin all the evolution rules of old.

Ruins the game for me when I see the same 3 or 4 decks of EX cards and nothing else.

These cards should be banned from Standard.

And yes I understand these formats are like because of the real life tournaments and such... 

But when it's all virtual, those EX cards are much more easy to find or trade for...  allowing players to use nothing but them.

At least can we have a Limit on how many EX cards are allowed in Standard? 

EX cards being played in EXpanded just makes sense, not standard.

good luck with your request, bud. not sure how long you have been away from the tcg, but ex cards are about as normal as energy cards these days. but hey, maybe the pokemon company will completely change the game and outlaw ex cards, just for you.

Sorry, pal. 

For now, stick to Theme decks. Open booster packs until you have enough cards to make a Standard deck.

You can buy booster packs in the shop using tokens, and you can also win them from Theme-deck Tournaments in Tournament mode. And you can get them from using Theme decks to finish Trainer Challenges.

I could have sworn I made this post earlier but it's not here...

Actually the least of most people worries are the Ex pokemon, the little monsters of the game are the evil yellow joltik, the ugly Trevenant, the even uglier sableye, the OP Garchomp....

The only Ex posing a constant threat is the ugly toad full of warts, that's one evil toad...

It seems to me that you don't really understand the meaning of formats. First of all, the division of the total cardpool in formats has nothing to do with balance. The only exceptions to this are Lysandre's Trump Card and Giant Fan Shiftry. I can only speculate as to why they were banned to Unlimited as opposed to banned from every format, but my best guess is that they wanted them to still be playable without affecting (too much) the health of the game, so they instead moved those 2 cards to the only format without officially santioned tournaments (Unlimited). Following that same logic, the only reason First Ticket was banned from every format was because there was a rule change regarding the coin flip at the sart of the match.

The way formats work is that every so many expansions, the existing expansions rotate. Some of the older expansions rotate out of Standard into Expanded (and [possibly] some of the even older expansions rotate from Expanded into Unlimited] although I'm not certain about the later). For the most part, cards are not moved from formats due to balance reasons, unless they're deem to be way to unhealthy for their respective formats, and even in that case, such changes are beyond the PTCGOs staff's jurisdiction. Any balance changes (or format changes) come from the physical TCG, which then only get replicated over here.

As for the EX card spammage, you still got a lot to learn about the TCG's metagame my friend. I can understand how from a new player's perspective it's unfair to have a deck without any EX pokemon while your opponent has a deck full of them. But in reality, having an all (or mostly) EX deck is a really, really bad idea.

A wise man named Aristotle once said "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts," and that holds true for pokemon TCG as well. The most key factor in any deck is the synergy of its cards, not the individual strength of its cards. EX pokemon have massiv HP and overall strong attacks, but each EX pokemon has its own "strategy" or way of playing the game. If you make a deck with many different EX cards what you'll end up with is a cluncky deck that gets nowhere, because you have 1 EX that wants to do damage spread, 1 EX that wants to burst down your opponent's active, 1 EX that wants to snipe the bench, 1 EX that wants to play board controll, etc. And in the end neither can do its own job properly because they just don't help each other.

I'll give you a specific example so that this isn't a bunch of theory jargon. There's this EX card, Gallade EX and its evolution M Gallade EX. M Gallade EX does 30 damage to each benched pokemon that already has any damage counters + a decent chunk of damage to the active. This is what's called a damage spread deck. But for it to work, Gallade needs other pokemon that help it place damage counters on the bench.

So, a serious M Gallade deck would run something like a 3-3 M Gallade EX line with 2-3 spirit links, a 3-3-3 bat like (give or take a few bats) [btw bat line means zubat-golbat-crobat], and a few support/draw pokemon like a 2-2 octillery line or 2 or so Shaymin EX. You could also consider a Forretress line but bats generally work better here.

That's how you build a focused, strong deck around an EX attacker. However, when you're playing against someone newer with less of an understanding of the meta, you're more likely to see something like this: 1 Gallade EX, 1 M Gallade EX, 1 Mewtwo EX, 1 Sceptile EX, 1 Latios EX, 1 Glalie EX, etc. While this looks more intimidatin than the previous gallade deck, this deck is actually terrible and has zero chance of beating a more experienced player, even (or perhaps even more so) against non-EX decks. To list some of the problems it has:

• No deck strategy. Each card has a different job which they can't do without proper support.

• Low amount of copies of each card; very high chance of one of them being prized.

• All EX means even a puny little Regice is enough to destroy your entire deck on its own.

• All of your cards give 2 prized when KOd. Normally not an issue if you can keep them from getting KOd, but with a deck like this, good luck with that.

• Mixed energy costs. Can be worked around but it requires other support cards that a new player would (probably) never consider using.

• On the note of cards that don't support each other, some EX cards pretty much require you to have a particular non-EX card in your bench to work properly. Sceptile EX won't be doing much of anything without a benched Ariados providing it with the necessary poison for Unseen Claw. Sleep poison is unreliable. BP Darkrai EX absolutely needs something to put your oponent to sleep to do any damage. Malamar EX works, but personally I think BP Hypno works better. Machamp EX also pretty much needs Ariados because the confusion of its first attack is unreliable. The list goes on and on.

Lastly, there are several, very strong decks that do not require more pokemon EX than maybe a couple of Shaymin EXs to work. Examples:

• Night March. It's scaling is completely absurd. it can 2HKO any EX by turn 1, and start getting OHKOs by turn 2-3. By turn 4-5 it can start OHKOing megas. Very snowbally deck. If you can't stop it early on via an item lock you can't stop it from gaining damage.

• AT Medicham. Very cheap deck, no EXs, does tons of damage. It benefits from Fighting Stadium (your fighting pokemon do +20 damage to pokemon EX) as well from the other fighting support cards.

• Trevenant XY. Recently got more popular with Trevenant BREAK. I made a thread about this in Deck Construction, but the turn 1 item lock is BRUTAL. Your oppoent literally can't do anything. Currently decks rely a lot on items, since you can use as many as you want per turn (unless you're item locked of course, which doesn't let you use any).

• AT Entei. Very fast, hard to kill, does tons of damage. Nuff' said.

The list goes on and on. Most of the decks that are strong in the current metagame are either a main EX attacker with a vast non-EX support team or even completely EX free (excluding the obvious shaymins).

I hope that this thread has taught you a little bit of the metage and deckbuilding. If you desire more advice on how to build decks you could go to the Deck Construction section, of if you want to ask about or discuss about the metagame you can go to the PvP section. You will be more than welcome there, and I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

EDIT: TL;DR Verion for those not fond of massive walls of text xd:

>Formats exist due to card rotations and are unrelated to game balance.

>Card synergy >>>>>>>> Individual card strength. Ergo, a focused deck with a few well chosen pokemon EX is way better than EX spammage.

>Along the same line of thought, many non-EX decks are not just viable, but some of the strongest in the current meta.

It seems to me that you don't really understand the meaning of formats. First of all, the division of the total cardpool in formats has nothing to do with balance. The only exceptions to this are Lysandre's Trump Card and Giant Fan Shiftry. I can only speculate as to why they were banned to Unlimited as opposed to banned from every format, but my best guess is that they wanted them to still be playable without affecting (too much) the health of the game, so they instead moved those 2 cards to the only format without officially santioned tournaments (Unlimited). Following that same logic, the only reason First Ticket was banned from every format was because there was a rule change regarding the coin flip at the sart of the match.

The way formats work is that every so many expansions, the existing expansions rotate. Some of the older expansions rotate out of Standard into Expanded (and [possibly] some of the even older expansions rotate from Expanded into Unlimited] although I'm not certain about the later). For the most part, cards are not moved from formats due to balance reasons, unless they're deem to be way to unhealthy for their respective formats, and even in that case, such changes are beyond the PTCGOs staff's jurisdiction. Any balance changes (or format changes) come from the physical TCG, which then only get replicated over here.

As for the EX card spammage, you still got a lot to learn about the TCG's metagame my friend. I can understand how from a new player's perspective it's unfair to have a deck without any EX pokemon while your opponent has a deck full of them. But in reality, having an all (or mostly) EX deck is a really, really bad idea.

A wise man named Aristotle once said "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts," and that holds true for pokemon TCG as well. The most key factor in any deck is the synergy of its cards, not the individual strength of its cards. EX pokemon have massiv HP and overall strong attacks, but each EX pokemon has its own "strategy" or way of playing the game. If you make a deck with many different EX cards what you'll end up with is a cluncky deck that gets nowhere, because you have 1 EX that wants to do damage spread, 1 EX that wants to burst down your opponent's active, 1 EX that wants to snipe the bench, 1 EX that wants to play board controll, etc. And in the end neither can do its own job properly because they just don't help each other.

I'll give you a specific example so that this isn't a bunch of theory jargon. There's this EX card, Gallade EX and its evolution M Gallade EX. M Gallade EX does 30 damage to each benched pokemon that already has any damage counters + a decent chunk of damage to the active. This is what's called a damage spread deck. But for it to work, Gallade needs other pokemon that help it place damage counters on the bench.

So, a serious M Gallade deck would run something like a 3-3 M Gallade EX line with 2-3 spirit links, a 3-3-3 bat like (give or take a few bats) [btw bat line means zubat-golbat-crobat], and a few support/draw pokemon like a 2-2 octillery line or 2 or so Shaymin EX. You could also consider a Forretress line but bats generally work better here.

That's how you build a focused, strong deck around an EX attacker. However, when you're playing against someone newer with less of an understanding of the meta, you're more likely to see something like this: 1 Gallade EX, 1 M Gallade EX, 1 Mewtwo EX, 1 Sceptile EX, 1 Latios EX, 1 Glalie EX, etc. While this looks more intimidatin than the previous gallade deck, this deck is actually terrible and has zero chance of beating a more experienced player, even (or perhaps even more so) against non-EX decks. To list some of the problems it has:

• No deck strategy. Each card has a different job which they can't do without proper support.

• Low amount of copies of each card; very high chance of one of them being prized.

• All EX means even a puny little Regice is enough to destroy your entire deck on its own.

• All of your cards give 2 prized when KOd. Normally not an issue if you can keep them from getting KOd, but with a deck like this, good luck with that.

• Mixed energy costs. Can be worked around but it requires other support cards that a new player would (probably) never consider using.

• On the note of cards that don't support each other, some EX cards pretty much require you to have a particular non-EX card in your bench to work properly. Sceptile EX won't be doing much of anything without a benched Ariados providing it with the necessary poison for Unseen Claw. Sleep poison is unreliable. BP Darkrai EX absolutely needs something to put your oponent to sleep to do any damage. Malamar EX works, but personally I think BP Hypno works better. Machamp EX also pretty much needs Ariados because the confusion of its first attack is unreliable. The list goes on and on.

Lastly, there are several, very strong decks that do not require more pokemon EX than maybe a couple of Shaymin EXs to work. Examples:

• Night March. It's scaling is completely absurd. it can 2HKO any EX by turn 1, and start getting OHKOs by turn 2-3. By turn 4-5 it can start OHKOing megas. Very snowbally deck. If you can't stop it early on via an item lock you can't stop it from gaining damage.

• AT Medicham. Very cheap deck, no EXs, does tons of damage. It benefits from Fighting Stadium (your fighting pokemon do +20 damage to pokemon EX) as well from the other fighting support cards.

• Trevenant XY. Recently got more popular with Trevenant BREAK. I made a thread about this in Deck Construction, but the turn 1 item lock is BRUTAL. Your oppoent literally can't do anything. Currently decks rely a lot on items, since you can use as many as you want per turn (unless you're item locked of course, which doesn't let you use any).

The list goes on and on. Most of the decks that are strong in the current metagame are either a main EX attacker with a vast non-EX support team or even completely EX free (excluding the obvious shaymins).

I hope that this thread has taught you a little bit of the metage and deckbuilding. If you desire more advice on how to build decks you could go to the Deck Construction section, of if you want to ask about or discuss about the metagame you can go to the PvP section. You will be more than welcome there, and I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

I agree! 

By the way, you have my vote, so Gonzo for president! :)

I agree! 

By the way, you have my vote, so Gonzo for president! :)

My vote also goes for him (all the time actually) but you can tell he's got a lot of free time!  :lol:

Hahaha thanks a lot guys xd I really enjoy helping out here and making these posts when I have time. Sadly for me, the days of my free time are numbered. Tomorrow my college classes start so I won't have nearly as much free time as I've had for the past 2 months (these were my summer vacations because I live in the southern hemisphere, so that's why they were so long).

Don't worry though, I fully intend to stick around here. I'll probably still have a good amount of free time during the weekends.

I didn't read this cause it was to long and I am lazy, but I agree anyway cause it is gonzo! XD

Your speech was amazing sir! Maybe moderator should hire you :D

I didn't read this cause it was to long and I am lazy, but I agree anyway cause it is gonzo! XD

Hahaha thanks man xd I think I'll add a quick TL;DR version at the bottom to make my wall of text easier to read xd

Your speech was amazing sir! Maybe moderator should hire you :D

Thanks a lot man :) I honestly doubt I have what it takes to be a moderator, but your compliment is very much appreciated. I'll still do eveything I can to help this comunity as one of its members.

Ok, I have a few different types of decks(and my lists) that you can try out.

Also wanna apologize if any of my chosen lists are unheard of, I just like weird decks! Also some are not the best but I like them so feel free to throw in better lists if you need! Also this WHOLE post will be a topic in deck building. :P

1. Speed Decks

Sets up on turn 1 normally doing anywhere from 120-200+ damage on turn 1

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 11

4 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

3 Celebi TM 92

3 Genesect-EX PLB 97

1 Virizion-EX PLB 96

Trainer Cards - 37

4 Colress Machine PLS 119

3 Ultra Ball PLF 122

1 G Booster PLB 92

3 Switch HS 102

3 Bicycle PLS 117

4 Acro Bike PRC 122

1 Lysandre's Trump Card PHF 118

2 Dual Ball CL 78

3 Skyarrow Bridge NXD 91

1 Professor Oak's New Theory HS 101

1 Professor's Letter XY 123

2 VS Seeker ROS 110

4 Junk Arm TM 87

1 Seeker TM 88

4 Trainers' Mail AOR 100

Energy - 12

4 Plasma Energy PLF 106

8 Grass Energy CL 88

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

2. Power decks

Usually take 1-2 turns to set up but are VERY powerful once set up, they are generally all EXs with some techs for pyroar, safeguard, and regice.

Pokémon - 9

1 Bouffalant DRX 110

3 Darkrai-EX DEX 107

2 Sableye DEX 62

2 Mewtwo-EX NXD 98

1 Keldeo-EX BCR 142

Trainer Cards - 39

1 Computer Search BCR 137

3 Ultra Ball PLF 122

4 Professor Juniper PLF 116

4 Hypnotoxic Laser PLS 123

1 Hex Maniac AOR 75

3 Virbank City Gym PLS 126

2 Colress PLS 135

1 Skyla BCR 149

3 Energy Switch HS 91

4 VS Seeker ROS 110

3 N NVI 101

2 Random Receiver PLS 138

2 Muscle Band XY 121

1 Lysandre FLF 104

4 Dark Patch DEX 93

1 Eviolite NVI 91

Energy - 12

4 Double Colorless Energy HS 103

8 Darkness Energy CL 94

Total Cards - 60

3. Energy accelerator decks

Uses cards such as blastoise, magnezone, and xerneas to get extra energies in play, and in some cases they can also be considered speed decks.

Pokémon - 11

2 Black Kyurem-EX PLS 95

1 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

1 Shuckle PR-HS HGSS15

1 Exeggcute PLB 102

1 Shaymin UL 8

1 Jirachi-EX PLB 98

2 Keldeo-EX BCR 142

2 Blastoise PLS 137

Trainer Cards - 39

4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109

4 Ultra Ball PLF 122

1 Professor Juniper PLF 116

3 Superior Energy Retrieval *******

****** Bike PRC 122

1 Dive Ball PRC 161

1 Lysandre's Trump Card PHF 118

4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92

1 Super Scoop Up UL 83

1 Professor Oak's New Theory HS 101

1 Professor's Letter XY 123

1 Scoop Up Cyclone PLB 95

4 VS Seeker ROS 110

1 Lysandre FLF 104

4 Junk Arm TM 87

2 Archie's Ace in the Hole PRC 157

4 Trainers' Mail AOR 100

Energy - 10

8 Water Energy CL 90

2 Lightning Energy CL 91

Total Cards - 60

4. Anti-EX

These decks are quite useless now imo due to the fact that almost everyone runs counters for them but they are out there.

I don't have a list but a typical list runs 4 PB Suicune and 4 Safeguard Sigilyph.

5. Troll Decks

These are by far some of the most annoying decks out there. They basically deny energy, trainers, evolution, or abilities.

This deck is not the best example, but a deck revolving around Siesmitoad-EX is much better.

Pokémon - 19

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

1 Sableye PR-XY XY92

4 Wobbuffet PHF 36

4 Zubat PLS 53

4 Golbat PHF 32

4 Crobat PHF 33

Trainer Cards - 34

2 Ultra Ball PLF 122

2 Professor Juniper PLF 116

3 Level Ball NXD 89

2 Switch PRC 163

3 Professor Oak's New Theory HS 101

3 Super Scoop Up UL 83

4 Dimension Valley PHF 93

1 Scoop Up Cyclone PLB 95

4 VS Seeker ROS 110

4 N NVI 101

2 Repeat Ball PRC 136

2 Muscle Band XY 121

1 Lysandre FLF 104

1 Silver Bangle PLB 88

Energy - 7

7 Psychic Energy CL 92

Total Cards - 60

6. Mill decks

These basically try to make you deck out.

Pokémon - 10

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

4 Durant BKP 9

2 Slowpoke BKP 19

2 Slowking BKP 21

Trainer Cards - 42

4 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99

4 Ultra Ball PLF 122

1 Super Rod DRV 20

1 Xerosic PHF 119

1 Switch HS 102

4 Team Aqua's Secret Base DCR 28

1 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 159

1 Hex Maniac AOR 75

2 Enhanced Hammer PRC 162

4 Professor Sycamore XY 122

3 Trick Shovel FLF 98

1 Skyla BCR 149

1 Team Flare Grunt XY 129

3 VS Seeker ROS 110

1 Lysandre FLF 104

2 Float Stone PLF 99

1 Judge UL 78

4 Crushing Hammer KSS 34

3 Head Ringer Team Flare Hyper Gear PHF 97

Energy - 8

4 Rainbow Energy HS 104

4 Grass Energy CL 88

Total Cards - 60

Besides what Gonzo said, i would suggest you follow the money and see that a vast majority of the Exs are just not playable. Take a look at Chickenman's "support forum" (Cheeky (:) and see that a lot of the Exs go for less than 2 standard packs. After all, as Gonzo said, Exs need synergy and other cards for it to be useful and non-Ex decks like Night March depend on just being able to knock out 3 Exs to be successful.

You guys are.... Awesome! Gonzo, thank you for your very insightful advice.

I come mainly from a Magic the Gathering background where formats are more about balance then expansions.

Sorry if I seemed a little rude in original post, was a little on tilt.

Since posting I took it as a challenge to build an Anti-EX Deck using Trevenant Break, Jirachi, Aegislash, Gengar EX and several stalling pokes that confuse or paralyze.

If the opponent powers up 1 main EX, I'll use supporters or Jirachi to pull Trevenant out, 

If the opponent decides to stall behind a high HP EX, I'll pull the Gengar EX and Aegislash, avoiding the active pokemon and target their bench, crippling them while they stall.

Trevenant Break also seems good for this due to the Silent Fear ability he has.

The Painful Sword ability Aegislash has doubles all damage counters on opponents, allowing it to ignore a high HP active if needed.

I have to admit it was quite effective, I even traded for a Dimension Valley and a Registeel to turn the deck up a notch.

... Okay. Good NON-Ex decks (since I don't think chickenman's deck with 4 Shaymins is gonna help the topic creator, sorry..) include:

Night March

Vespiquen

Typhlosion

Trevenant (BREAK)

Greninja (BREAK)

Raticate BREAK + Ariados

Noivern and Gengar

Noivern/Trevenant + Aegislash

Medicham decks

Garchomp decks

AT Swampert + Huntail

LOL! It was too long for me to read too-so I just +1 him too ^_______^

!!!GO SUPER GONZO!!!

... Okay. Good NON-Ex decks (since I don't think chickenman's deck with 4 Shaymins is gonna help the topic creator, sorry..) include:

Night March

Vespiquen

Typhlosion

Trevenant (BREAK)

Greninja (BREAK)

Raticate BREAK + Ariados

Noivern and Gengar

Medicham decks

Garchomp decks

AT Swampert + Huntail

NICE List! well put together. Don't forget Archie-Greninja or Donphan decks too. ^_____^

Trevenant (BREAK)

How did you know I'd build this? Sorcery! Though I have no Noiverns, it's nearly the same.

... Okay. Good NON-Ex decks (since I don't think chickenman's deck with 4 Shaymins is gonna help the topic creator, sorry..)

Ah! I find this very offensive an my lawyer will contact you shortly! XD JK, yeah some non-EX decks would have been good, but I didn't really have any non ex speed decks(no I have not made an entei deck surprisingly lol).

You guys are.... Awesome! Gonzo, thank you for your very insightful advice.

I come mainly from a Magic the Gathering background where formats are more about balance then expansions.

Sorry if I seemed a little rude in original post, was a little on tilt.

Since posting I took it as a challenge to build an Anti-EX Deck using Trevenant Break, Jirachi, Aegislash, Gengar EX and several stalling pokes that confuse or paralyze.

If the opponent powers up 1 main EX, I'll use supporters or Jirachi to pull Trevenant out, 

If the opponent decides to stall behind a high HP EX, I'll pull the Gengar EX and Aegislash, avoiding the active pokemon and target their bench, crippling them while they stall.

Trevenant Break also seems good for this due to the Silent Fear ability he has.

The Painful Sword ability Aegislash has doubles all damage counters on opponents, allowing it to ignore a high HP active if needed.

I have to admit it was quite effective, I even traded for a Dimension Valley and a Registeel to turn the deck up a notch.

Hey, don't sweat it man, it's all good. It's understandable you had a different idea of what formats were if you used to play MTG. I like to believe it's more important to be open of mind and learn than to never make mistakes, so I'm glad my advise was of use.

Oh and about that Aegislash, it's kind of a gimicky card but holly molly it's fun to use. I have a Trev BREAK / Aegislash deck. I don't do too great with it but when it works it's awesome. I onced KO'd all 6 of my opponents pokemon and took all 6 prized with a single Painful Sword (Trev break had put 90 damage on each pokemon beforehand). I was literally rolling on the floor with laughter when that happened xd

Hey, don't sweat it man, it's all good. It's understandable you had a different idea of what formats were if you used to play MTG. I like to believe it's more important to be open of mind and learn than to never make mistakes, so I'm glad my advise was of use.

Oh and about that Aegislash, it's kind of a gimicky card but holly molly it's fun to use. I have a Trev BREAK / Aegislash deck. I don't do too great with it but when it works it's awesome. I onced KO'd all 6 of my opponents pokemon and took all 6 prized with a single Painful Sword (Trev break had put 90 damage on each pokemon beforehand). I was literally rolling on the floor with laughter when that happened xd

So you have basically the same deck as the one I made! I feel like even as a gimicky card, with the right support it can shine.

(Jirachi, Gengar EX, 2 of Furfrous that draw or paralyze, 2 Honedges that confuse, and a Wobuffet to create a stalemate when you need it. As well as a Lysandre, Team Rocket Grunt, Steven, Sparkling Robe, Dimensional Valley.)

Also I feel like a Heavy Ball or two pull out Trevenant or Aegislash or Wobuffet when you need them help a lot.

Archived