Best Deck as of January 2nd 2016

anthony7245

I'm trying to figure out what the best decks are right now as of January 2nd. Here are some decks I've noticed to be strong.

1. Dragon (Giratina ex, Vileume) *ive also seen Latios ex/mega Latios ex and Heiregon ex I this deck*

2. Sky Field, Mega Rayquaza ex (normal), Aromatise

3. Yveltal ex, Zoroark + Zoroark BREAK, Malamar ex

4. Mega Mewtwo ex (both are good)

5. Night March (this deck seems to be doing better unfortunately)

6. Sceptile/Ariados (sometimes I've seen Machamp ex, vileplume and mega Sceptile ex in this deck)

Let me know what you guys think and if there are better ones that I missed. Also post a top 5 of what you think are the best decks right now!

Bare in mind that I didn't play to much Standard and Expanded during the last weeks, so those picks might be a tend more personal preferences, than actual representations of the meta game.

As for Unlimited I only included decks with an even or positive match-up against Shiftry, which isn't a fair representation of the format by any means, but unfortunately it reflects the way you have to play in order to advance on the ladder fairly quickly.

Standard:

1. Yveltal + Zoroark + Gallade

2. Lucario + Bats / Lucario + Marowak + Bats

3. M-Manectric + friends

4. Night March

5. Raichu + Bats

honourable mentions: Metal + friends, Vespiqueen, M-Rayquaza, Sceptile + friends, M-Mewtwo

Expanded

1. Yveltal + friends

2. Archie's Blastoise

3. Night March

4. Metal + Tyrantrum

5. Donphan

honourable mentions: Toad + friends, Vespiqueen, Metal + Rayquaza, Lando + Bats

Unlimited:

1. Toad variants

2.Yveltal variants

3. Shiftry

4. Groudon Prime + Wobbuffet

5. Genesect + friends

honourable mentions: Wobbuffet + friends

i've been working on a M-manectric / Articuno AT, very consistent type of deck, and Machamp ex / Lando/ Ariados, also proving it's worth but less consistent. I'm using expanded versions, though they're usually standard.

Bare in mind that I didn't play to much Standard and Expanded during the last weeks, so those picks might be a tend more personal preferences, than actual representations of the meta game.

As for Unlimited I only included decks with an even or positive match-up against Shiftry, which isn't a fair representation of the format by any means, but unfortunately it reflects the way you have to play in order to advance on the ladder fairly quickly.

Standard:

1. Yveltal + Zoroark + Gallade

2. Lucario + Bats / Lucario + Marowak + Bats

3. M-Manectric + friends

4. Night March

5. Raichu + Bats

honourable mentions: Metal + friends, Vespiqueen, M-Rayquaza, Sceptile + friends, M-Mewtwo

Expanded

1. Yveltal + friends

2. Archie's Blastoise

3. Night March

4. Metal + Tyrantrum

5. Donphan

honourable mentions: Toad + friends, Vespiqueen, Metal + Rayquaza, Lando + Bats

Unlimited:

1. Toad variants

2.Yveltal variants

3. Shiftry

4. Groudon Prime + Wobbuffet

5. Genesect + friends

honourable mentions: Wobbuffet + friends

This is pretty accurate, but your understimation of Mega Mewtwo X is too much, it is one of the best decks in standard imo, besides i use Tyrantrum in standard and it does wonders !

PS: Groudon Prime ??

This is pretty accurate, but your understimation of Mega Mewtwo X is too much, it is one of the best decks in standard imo, besides i use Tyrantrum in standard and it does wonders !

PS: Groudon Prime ??

I think "metal + friends" should cover Tyrantrum, but I'm sure you have more experience with the current Standard format, hence I'll trust you on the M-Mewtwo evaluation :).

At least now I know what to prepare for should we play against each other in any tournament soon :P.

Oh, I meant Primal Groudon, silly typo on my part :D.

Talking Standard here:

Mega Mewtwo (either one) is defiantly a top deck.

Mega Rayquaza is still a top deck.

Sceptile, no.

Yveltal, no.

Lucario, no.

Giratina-EX I don't know what to say. I can never seem to play any variant of Giratina very well, but it seems like others do pretty good with it.

Night March is still Night March.

Vespiquen seems to have taken a step down.

Primal Groundon is still very good, perhaps better because Grass seems to be weaker. Also Float Stones helps too.

Gengar-EX variants are good, in part because of Float Stone and also because of the weakness. Gengar-EX is the only major psychic type that is weak to Darkness instead of Psychic, and since Mewtwo is big, being able to hit Mewtwo for weakness without *********** for weakness is a big deal. I run a single Mega Gengar in mine and have used it against Mewtwo several times FTW.

Noivern BREAK is very good. Not sure its in the top 5, but its very good.

Mega Manectric is still very good.

I'm really liking Medicham.

IMO Metal and Fairy are weaker because of Parallel City. They get hurt too much by bench restrictions.

Mega Houndoom is very strong, despite water weakness because of its speed. Not sure its top 5 though.

I think "metal + friends" should cover Tyrantrum, but I'm sure you have more experience with the current Standard format, hence I'll trust you on the M-Mewtwo evaluation :).

At least now I know what to prepare for should we play against each other in any tournament soon :P.

Oh, I meant Primal Groudon, silly typo on my part :D.

Oh yes M Mewtwo X is surprisingly good, while M Mewtwo Y didn't do as expected.

Yes i figured you meant Primal Groudon but since i saw it was Unlimited i was confused, i use this deck in Standard mostly, i understand it can be great VS Shiftry  but it's a standard deck :)

@rgp: I know that you usually have a different taste in decks, but your evaluation is way of the charts:

Lucario + Bats and Yveltal not being a good archetype ? Kinda surprising to see that those decks have prob. taken the most tournament wins during City Championships this winter season.

Gengar EX w/e Trevenant would be a solid pick, wouldn't it be for the weakness to one of the most popular decks ( Yveltal).

Noivern Break feels good to you, because you have been playing the archetype for such a long time. Fact of the matter is though, that the deck is as lowtier / rogue as it gets. Sure it can catch some people by suprise, but those decks usually don't win tournaments.

Medichan is a solid budget solution that has a few problems against the top decks, but can in theory beat almost the entire field. I'd set it in the mid tier section.

Parallel City did not make a huge impact in the format whatsoever (surprisingly just as I told you before the set was released. Gesh where are all of those Ninetails + Wally + City decks you were so hyped about?), hence neither fairy nor metal ( which is currently the better deck, due to Tyrantrum EX) are affected by the card.

Mega Houndon is mediocre at best, because the other Mega decks (Manectric, Mewtwo, Rayquaza) are ahead in almost any aspect.

Sorry for scolding you on this, but you keep on misjudging your online game experience and results with real life results. Any deck can look amazing online, because 90% of the player base are casual players, who don't know how to play.

Maybe, but I've never seen anything good from Lucario or Yveltal recently. IMO most regular EXs are just bad now. 

They give up 2 prizes, but are still too easy to kill using Megas. 

Mega Turbo is just insane. It makes Megas far more powerful than regular EXs. IMO the top decks are all either Megas or non-EX decks. I do still kind of like Machamp-EX, which I'm sure many people will disagree with, but it's because of Focus Sash and his first attack, which makes it possible to revenge OHKO anything at the very least, but other than that I'd say most EXs are just bad.

I still use Malamar because of her ability, and Aegislash and Dialga, but Yveltal and Lucario? I just don't see it. Lucario is weak to Psychic on top of it all, and Yveltal is weak to Lightning. Yikes. 

I'd say the top decks are:

Mega Rayquaza (I'm using fairy with Whimsicott and Promo Jirachi to handle Giratina-EX)

Mega Mewtwo X

Mega Mewtwo Y

Primal Groudon

Night March

Yeah, Parallel City hasn't been quite as big a factor as I anticipated, that's true but it still wrecks games from time to time. I've used it to good effect vs Metal decks and had it used against me where it changed the course of the game.

And I still think Gengar-EX with Mega Gengar is a very good deck. I run mine with 1 Mega Gengar and I break him out all the time. He wrecks face against Mega Mewtwo and Lucario, etc.

I think I understand your misconception now:

You have solid points and I'd agree with you that the regular 170-180 HP Pokemon EX might be a bit to rusty, compared to the raw speed of Mega Turbo and 220+ HP Mega Pokemon.

Yet as the game evolves, so do the archetypes and I'm fairly sure you might simply have an outdated picture of some of those decks.

Let's just talk about Yvetal for now.

On the surface the card doesn't look that powerful anymore, especially in the Standard format, where you miss such crucial pieces like Darkrai, Laser, Dark Patch, Keldeo and so forth.

In order to be competitive the deck got a full blown makeover, dishing the once so mighty bird for new all-stars.

Yveltal as an archetype utilises baby Yveltal for Energy Acceleration, Maxies + Gallade to deal with the Lightning Weakness, as well as providing a solid tool for deck manipulation and surprising KOs, Zoroark as a Keldeo substitute that packs in a solid attack for the cost of a single DCE, as well as Zoroark Break, which can deal insane amounts of damage out of nowhere.

Yveltal EX is more or less the back up plan of the deck nowadays, still providing solid punching power, but not really in a position to carry the game on it's own.

Following your thesis you could go as far and call this a non-EX deck with an back-up EX attacker.

As far as I can tell from my limited experience online in the Standard format ( I only play Unlimited on the ladder and Standard / Expanded solemnly in tournaments) the deck isn't as popular as it should be, I'd presume because it is a bit more complicated to play, given the resource management, yet I dare you to trust me when I say that it easily amongst the best decks in the format, if not the best deck.

Maybe that's the case. I usually play in the middle of the night or early morning, If you happen to be on at those times maybe we can play a few games to see. I'm not sure what my best deck is right now. I don't really like playing what I think are my top decks for some reason. I think my two best are Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Rayquaza / Whimsicott.

The decks I play the most though are Medicham, Mega Manectric / Articuno, Gengar-EX / Wob, and Xerneas / Bats. 

What I like about Medicham is that its extremely efficient in the prize exchange. I run all non-EXs so that there is almost no chance to take double prizes, and with Focus Sash it means you have to get more than 6 KOs against it to win typically. Plus with Medicham it's great against non-EX deck because you can often take double prizes in a single turn. This is excellent vs Night March or Vespiquen, but also even vs Metal or fairy decks, where you can Lysander a bench supporter and get a KO and then go on to hit another pokemon as well, sometimes getting a second KO.

I've even won against good Mega Mewtwo and Mega Rayquaza decks using Medicham, all because of Focus Sash. I can't say it's the best deck out there, but I really, really like it right now. 

I don't like running decks like Yveltal or Lucario anymore because those "backup EXs" just seem like a liability ready to give up two prizes. My decks mostly either use Megas and try to be super fast (I run 3 or 4 Mega Turbo is pretty much all my Mega decks), or run all non-EXs, which is much easier now with Octillery. I have been playing Xerneas bats for fun, though, but I don't consider it a serous deck, but I do get some nice wins with it sometimes. But its way too susceptible to energy disruption. It plays a lot like Lando-Bats.

I kind of have to side with Felidae on this one. Yveltal EX in active, attach one energy per turn and keep attacking. Wins an awful lot of games. If you go first, you KO Meditite (for example) and tha benched Meditite you were smart enough to attach energy to instad of your active needs 3 boosts (muscle band+strong+fighting stadium) to One 'turn' KO Yveltal EX. extreme example, but. . .

You run 2 Yveltal EX instead of 3 now, since the essence of the deck is to select the strongest attacker for the board state or to preserve a positive prize exchange. The worst matchup will be Garbodor in Standard, since Premonition and Rush In will be nullified. Having 2 strong non EX attackers is the thing, and Yveltal EX still sucks the fun out of the game for anyone playing a big slow Mega. Zoroark and Gallade give you powerful one prize non weak attackers against Manectric EX, less so Zoroark, since you want to attach a tool. ..

As for Lucario EX, Focus Sash kind of takes care of the Psychic weakness and keeps the prize exchange even, no?

The problem is that newer basic EX's suck. That's because Ptcgi wants you to jones for the Mega. Look at NXD Mewtwo vs BKT Mewtwo - X ball vs photon lame? Psysomething for PPC or psysomething for PPCC? terrible. EX used to hit for like 150, not 130 or 150 sometimes.

Anyway, NVM me.

Hey RGP, notice how Medicham mirror sucks??

Totally rambling, should prob. ******* now.

Yo rgp, did you saw this article about the recent results for the City Championships ?

http://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/city-championship-contenders/#deck-roberto-lozada-night-march-standard-format

Those people must be really bad, playing Yveltal and Lucario, when there are so much better decks out there, like Noivern Break, or Medichan. If only they knew, if only they knew....

Sorry for pouring salt into the wound mate, nothing personal ;).

It always seems like tournaments are behind the times. I don't see how Yveltal competes with turn 2 Mega Mewtwo X. In my Mega Mewtwo deck I'm getting turn 2 Mega Mewtwo about 85% of the time. And if not, then turn 3 for sure. Yveltal needs 9 energy between the two to OHKO Mega Mewtwo. 

For sure, though Night March is hard for Mega Mewtwo. I can see that Yveltal is good against Night March, so if Night March is dominating then maybe the Night March is culling out the Mega Mewtwo and thus leaving space for Yveltal, but I'd pick Mega Ray, Primal Groudon, Mega Mewtwo and Mega Manectric over Yveltal any day. 

And I noticed that the Yveltal deck they listed runs 3 Enhanced Hammers, obviously for Night March, but most of the Mega decks don't run any special energy. None of the ones I listed except Mega Ray do. So that's 3 dead cards against most Mega decks. 

Seems like that Yveltal deck would be way too slow vs Mega Mewtwo, but maybe I'm wrong. BTW, here is my Mega Mewtwo deck below. I have actually beaten Night March decks with it, though surely not top quality players. If I were trying to really compete with this deck I'd probably put in a Target Whistle to be able to call out the Night Marcher's Shyamins. But I have no doubt this deck will beat Yveltal and Lucario 80%+ of the time. 

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 12

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
1 Smeargle BKT 123
3 Deoxys ROS 33
1 Mewtwo-EX BKT 61
2 Mewtwo-EX BKT 158
3 M Mewtwo-EX BKT 63

Trainer Cards - 36

1 Skyla BCR 134
2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
1 Professor's Letter XY 123
1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138
2 Shrine of Memories PRC 139
4 Dimension Valley PHF 93
1 Lysandre AOR 78
2 Shauna PHF 104
4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
2 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
1 Xerosic PHF 110
3 Mewtwo Spirit Link BKT 144
1 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 105
4 VS Seeker ROS 110
1 Switch BCR 135
4 Mega Turbo ROS 86
2 Professor Sycamore XY 122

Energy - 12

5 Psychic Energy Energy 5
7 Fighting Energy Energy 6

Total Cards - 60

I really want to construct this deck.  Mega Mewtwo Y is my curreny nemesis.  It's very simple to mega evolve turn 2 and attach DCE, Mewtwo X is harder by comparison to power up, but I really want to defeat this one trainer and his Mewtwo Y deck.  I can't bear to spend the money on a bunch of Mega Mewtwos and so on, I don't really want to hunt down a decent Gengar deck either.

The problem is that with a single energy attachment Mega Mewtwo Y can put some real pressure on, so even energy denial decks can't really stop it.

Mewtwo X is awesome, but so much more difficult to play, don't you think?

Anyway, I'll take any suggestions on how to stop Mewtwo Y, I think it is also an Aromatisse XY deck.  Obviously going for Aromatisse might cause some difficulty, but not that much IMO.

Just to be clear, Y = Psychic Infinity crazy hairdo.
Mewtwo X = killer fighting psychic Vanishing Strike type

I see your list and I totally believe it works awesome, aside from ******** evil item lock, since it looks dependent on Mega Turbo largely.
I notice that having a Xerosic, Skyla and Pokemon Centre Lady compressed is awesome, the 1 - of Skyla can really make the difference in so many games, just having it there in discard so you can VS Seeker it for that clutch scenario is sweet.
You can't deny that Mewtwo Y (Infinity) is sooooo much easier to play.
from DCE to (P)(F)(F), whaaaaaa?
Psychic Infinity sucks.

I totally agree that Vanishing Strike is way cooler than the Psychic Infinity, it's simply the difference between, say attaching DCE to Seismitoad EX and going to town vs having to spend a turn attaching a typed energy to Virizion EX, Yveltal EX, M Manectric EX, M Sceptile EX blah blah blah.  Mewtwo Y is terrible because any simpleton can Mega evolve turn 2 and attach a DCE and energy denial doesn't work wheh they can just dig for DCE and lay a smack down.

Mewtwo X is a good counter since it can OHKO Mewtwo Y because Vanishing Strike hits for weakness whereas Psychic Infinity cannot. 

Plus, on a whole different note, it demonstrates that you are not just a hack with DCE if you can get it going.

Archived