The Kids Want to Play

LostDad80

My son got a deck of cards from somewhere, a random birthday present from a friend or something. He of course has lost the sheet with the real rules. Now he has a mish-mash of cards and makes up the rules as he goes when he plays with his sisters to beat them.
Anyhow, I want to get them each a deck and rules and teach them how to play for real. I am leaning towards these 60 card starter packs with the two player mat. I see that there are different themes like Ancient Origins, Break Through, XY, Roaring Skies. Can all of these be used to play the same game or do you have to have matching themes? Do the booster packs have to match the theme of the deck? I have to get 4 kids set up and I would prefer to get them each a different box of cards.

Oh, I need to specify that at least to start with, they won't be playing on line.  Just the physical card game. 

Yes each starter deck can be used to play against each other, they don't have to be from the same set, however certain theme decks will have type advantages against others so depending on if your kids will rotate decks it might be unfair depending on what theme decks you do buy, if they rotate obviously that wont be a problem but if each will keep a deck as their own then it might be good to look into making sure the decks are well balanced,

There are Theme decks with consist ************ pre-constructed deck which is usually not very good but great for a starter it also has a coin and a playmat i believe, each Set has 2 different Theme decks (sets come out each 3 months and usually have 90 to160+ cards) and then there are booster packs, which are packs that have 10 cards from that particular set and it is the only way of getting the super rare cards that you can't get from a theme deck and yes all of these can be used and played with even thou when it comes to competitive playing some older sets cannot be used in official tournaments (old ones) but those are rare to begin with,

My advice is get them a theme deck each (a different one so they can get different cards) and it should have a rulebook, if not just google it and then when they get used to playing get them booster packs either by 1 or by booster box which has 36 of them, right now the Set Roaring Skies is very popular because it has a lot of good cards.

Silly question but to the backs of the cards all look alike?  If i buy four different decks and mix them up so that they all have a better mix of types of pokemon...

Silly question but to the backs of the cards all look alike?  If i buy four different decks and mix them up so that they all have a better mix of types of pokemon...

Yes they all look the same since i can remember, but you can buy different sleeves for them, I recommend buying Elite Trainer Boxes; as usually 1-2 come out each new set, it has 8 booster packs of that set, 60 sleeves, some dice and play counters (for damage & special conditions) and a playmat, come to think of it, getting them one or 2 would be a great start !

Archived