Raticate BREAK/Ariados Viable?

BerryBlox

Is Raticate BREAK and Ariados something that would be good in tournaments? I want to make some competitive decks so I can learn more about what is good in the current meta.

Is Raticate BREAK and Ariados something that would be good in tournaments? I want to make some competitive decks so I can learn more about what is good in the current meta.

Yes, I use a Doublade Variant. when Raticate BREAK pops into standard it will be a good deck to mess around with.

Edited by Eevee_Fairy

Yes, I use a Doublade Variant. when Raticate BREAK pops into standard it will be a good deck to mess around with.

Ok, thanks! My only question is, what if you run into a Pokemon that is grass type? Ariados only affects pokemon who are not grass type.

Ok, thanks! My only question is, what if you run into a Pokemon that is grass type? Ariados only affects pokemon who are not grass type.

Run a bats line.

Raticate break is almost certantly going to be a lower tier deck but still decent enough to mess around with on PTCGO.

Yah, I really want to make a real life deck with Raticate BREAK/Ariados. I really want to use the deck to enter some tournaments. What do you suggest I do if I run into a grass type deck? fitzy72 says run a bat line, but isn't the point of this deck is to pretty much OHKO anything? If you used a bat line, you would have to wait a turn, and that will really slow you down.

PS: I guess it isn't really an OHKO, but you know what I mean.

Yah, I really want to make a real life deck with Raticate BREAK/Ariados. I really want to use the deck to enter some tournaments. What do you suggest I do if I run into a grass type deck? fitzy72 says run a bat line, but isn't the point of this deck is to pretty much OHKO anything? If you used a bat line, you would have to wait a turn, and that will really slow you down.

PS: I guess it isn't really an OHKO, but you know what I mean.

Grass pokemon aren't all that common to start, but i guess this deck will need something to counter them, so far since we haven't really tested it we can't tell for sure, but my first thought would be a pokemon with free retreat and a low cost attack, or maybe Shaymin-EX since its helpful in any deck

Edited by ChawkyV

Grass pokemon aren't all that common to start, but i guess this deck will need something to counter them, so far since we haven't really tested it we can't tell for sure, but my first thought would be a pokemon with free retreat and a low cost attack, or maybe Shaymin-EX since its helpful in any deck

Wait, how would that solve the problem that you are trying to knock them out in one turn? Also, for me at least, Shaymin-EX is not an option because of its cost. This is my first deck so I will need at least $60 probably $80.

EDIT: I am thinking something like hypnotoxic laser, but maybe there is a better option?

Edited by BerryBlox

Spinda,

Uproar.

I once knocked out two M Sceptile EX's with Spinda's Uproar.  Unable to poison them with Ariados, one had retreated to the bench, the active had been Swiped.  Spinda KO's them both.  My opponent quit in disgust.

Expanded is way easier for Doublade, since you can run a copy of Victory Star and a few Lasers for Doublade, but Raticate Break doesn't need that.  Lasers would still be very handy though.

Gengar BKT's first attack would be cool. . .  it has free retreat. . . however it's far from being a basic.

The biggest issue I can see with Raticate Break is that it's a Break.

I dunno if I would prefer the coin flip or the requirement to evolve again between Doublade and Raticate Break.

Edited by fr33land

Spinda,

Uproar.

I once knocked out two M Sceptile EX's with Spinda's Uproar.  Unable to poison them with Ariados, one had retreated to the bench, the active had been Swiped.  Spinda KO's them both.  My opponent quit in disgust.

Expanded is way easier for Doublade, since you can run a copy of Victory Star and a few Lasers for Doublade, but Raticate Break doesn't need that.  Lasers would still be very handy though.

Gengar BKT's first attack would be cool. . .  it has free retreat. . . however it's far from being a basic.

The biggest issue I can see with Raticate Break is that it's a Break.

I dunno if I would prefer the coin flip or the requirement to evolve again between Doublade and Raticate Break.

Raicate BREAK is definitly better than Doublade because of free retreat, status immunity and more HP, but  i guess something basic that does spreading damage would be the best pick to counter Grass types as we wanna keep this deck Standard so no Lasers :)

Raicate BREAK is definitly better than Doublade because of free retreat, status immunity and more HP, but  i guess something basic that does spreading damage would be the best pick to counter Grass types as we wanna keep this deck Standard so no Lasers :)

So what you are saying is: if we go against a grass type Pokemon, you just have to knock them out in 2 turns?

So what you are saying is: if we go against a grass type Pokemon, you just have to knock them out in 2 turns?

Well since there are no other Standard Alternatives that seems to be the case, yeah

You're welcome to make some suggestions too :)

+ like i said before other than Sceptile-ex , grass decks are basically non-existant :/

Yeah, I guess. . .  having finally looked at XY9's Raticate it is pretty sweet.  Really there's  no question Raticate Break is in all ways superior.

What is the 1 energy attack?  I'm guessing it's outrageously useless, but maybe not?  Zoroark also had a killer attack.

I counted leaf decks as near auto losses, but then I was playing BCR-on and there was an option.

I suppose Vespiquen doesn't really count as a leaf deck, but maybe worth mentioning.

I found that was a problem with Doublade Ariados, pokemon that would otherwise have been easy KO's for a deck that dealt damage in a conventional manner became a whole thing that was too much work for the reward.  I kept one copy of Aegislash Primal Clash for Miracle Guard (in case of fire deck) and the 80 damage attack as a last resort.

I would still put Spinda PRC forward as the best candidate.

Uproar does 10 damage to all opponent's pokemon for 1 energy, Spinda has 80 HP so it can use Level Ball and isn't as delicate as it could be and only 1 retreat cost.  Also, it's got the whole Panda thing going for it.

Rough Seas can be a rough go if you cannot complete the KO with poison for some reason.  I was just lucky my opponent didn't have energy in hand when it KO'd Doublade, otherwise. . .

There are other things that would prevent the KO, Sparkling Robe, Steel Shelter and creepy Fairy abilities. . . btw Wonder Energy is a real problem since placing those damage counters with Super Fang or False Swipe is an effect, good thing it's not too common.  One other issue is reliance on Double Colourless.

I never made Doublade Ariados work in XY-on, BCR-on made it a lot easier.  Mew-EX, Fliptini, Lasers, Level Ball (at the time) and Computer Search were huge.

Edited by fr33land

Another option instead of spinda, although more costly unless you already have them, would be the promo celebi, for a grass energy it places 1 damage counter on every one of your opponents pokemon, plus its ability allows the possiblity of not giving up any prizes when KO'd and only a one retreat cost for it like spinda

Another option instead of spinda, although more costly unless you already have them, would be the promo celebi, for a grass energy it places 1 damage counter on every one of your opponents pokemon, plus its ability allows the possiblity of not giving up any prizes when KO'd and only a one retreat cost for it like spinda

Yes !

That is actually a good replacemnt even thou it has 10 Less HP, but the ability and AT Stop are a lot more helpful imo, thnx i completely forgot about it !

I believe it would also have the benefit of going through Mr.Mime as well since celebi's attack places damage counters rather than an actual attack like spinda, but I could be wrong as I havent tried that yet

• Upvote 1

To handle grass opponents the best thing to do is simply run fire pokemon. Run something like 3X3X3 Raticite BREAK, 2X2 Araidos, and 3 Entie, with Scorched Earth as the stadium and 4 DCEs with 6 Fire Energy and 1 or 2 Blacksmith.

Bats and Spinda and such are useless. Raticite puts damage counters down to 10 HP left, so it doesn't matter how much damage they already have on them, they will end the turn with 10 HP remaining. That's why poison works, because it hits them for 10 more damage AFTER the attack. 

This has the added benefit of dealing with Steel Shelter as well since all Metal types are also weak to fire.

Edited by rgp151

To handle grass opponents the best thing to do is simply run fire pokemon. Run something like 3X3X3 Raticite BREAK, 2X2 Araidos, and 3 Entie, with Scorched Earth as the stadium and 4 DCEs with 6 Fire Energy and 1 or 2 Blacksmith.

Bats and Spinda and such are useless. Raticite puts damage counters down to 10 HP left, so it doesn't matter how much damage they already have on them, they will end the turn with 10 HP remaining. That's why poison works, because it hits them for 10 more damage AFTER the attack.

This has the added benefit of dealing with Steel Shelter as well since all Metal types are also weak to fire.

Spinda / Bats / Celebi were meant to finish off the pokemon whin it has only 10 HP left, not as attackers ....

Here's my Decklist for this deck (it will definitly see a lotta change when XY9 comes out thou)

Pokemon: 18

4-4-4 Raticate

2-2 Ariados

1 Shaymin-EX

1 Celebi AT

Trainer: 34

4 Sycamore

3 Birch

2 Lysandre

1 Delinquent

1 Az

1 Brigette

1 Skyla

1 Winona

4 Level Ball

4 Vs Seeker

3 Parallel City

3 Hard Charm

2 Assault Vest

2 Escape Rope

1 Sacred Ash

1 Startling Megaphone

Energy: 8

4 DCE

4 Grass

This decklist definitly be changed thou

Edited by ChawkyV

If you don't have a Stadium card in mind, Faded Towns would be good to finish off Megas like M Sceptile when Ariados can't. That is, once it's reinstated into TCGO in February.

Both are sick ideas.

Celebi AT and Faded Town.

Excellent.  you guys are awesome.

TBH, it works.

You only need that spread damage maybe 1 in 10 games, often they retreat to the bench or stay active and revenge kill Doublade or in this case Raticate, so it's awesome because it doesn't need Lysandre and it can be sneaky, you can level ball and make the KO if Celebi isn't already active because it was in play when Raticate got KO'd.

Grass pokemon aren't the only problem, special condition immunity also, so fire types might not be the answer all the time. 

Glad I picked up that promo pack now, couldn't figure out a use for Celebi, never occured to me since that was after I was playing Doublade.

Edited by fr33land