[CARD] Multiple - Energy retrieval cards can get Special Energy cards that should not be selectable

Taco

I have noticed that cards that retrieve energy like Blacksmith and Bronzong, which do not have a basic restriction but are restricted to type are sometimes able to retrieve the special energy of the appropriate type, i.e. Burning Energy and Shield Energy. I do not know if they are supposed to do this but I have had them both able to return and then unable to return that type.

I am running Windows 7.

Rendevoir reported something similar a bit earlier about the Blacksmith/BE interaction, but I've noticed that this happens with all special energies and with all the abilities, supporters, attacks, etc. that allow you to reattach an energy from the discard pile, including the Blacksmith, Bronzorg's Metal Links, Houndoom EX's Grand Flame, Yvetal's Oblivion Wing, among others.

Basically, it works with all effects that don't specify that it must be a basic energy. And here's the thing: ALL the special energies (except the DCE, which doesn't matter since it can't be recovered with these effects) have this little bit of text that reads as it follows:

"This card provides X energy ONLY WHILE THIS CARD IS ATTACHED to an X Pokemon"

Which means that in the discard pile, not only are they not basic energies, they don't even count as energies at all.

There's also the Rainbow Energy that has something similar: "WHILE IN PLAY, this card provides every type of energy" i.e. in the discard pile it provides no energy.

So from what I can gather you were not supposed to be able to reattach special energies this way, so I'm reporting it as a bug. I looked at the known bugs list and couldn't find anything relating to this, so I'm posting this here.

Regarding Bronzong's ability to return metal energies, should that include energies that provide all energy types? A player was able to use this ability to return double dragon energies from the discard because the card provides metal energy. Is this intended? I feel that the "ONLY WHILE THIS CARD IS ATTACHED to an X Pokemon" as stated above implies that the card cannot be targeted as an energy whilst not attached.

Regarding Bronzong's ability to return metal energies, should that include energies that provide all energy types? A player was able to use this ability to return double dragon energies from the discard because the card provides metal energy. Is this intended? I feel that the "ONLY WHILE THIS CARD IS ATTACHED to an X Pokemon" as stated above implies that the card cannot be targeted as an energy whilst not attached.

That's the thing. At the very least, the wording of these cards would imply that they provide no energies while in the discard pile, which would mean it shouldn't be possible to recover the DDE with Metal Links since it does not count as a metal energy while not attached to a dragon type pokemon. Ditto for all the other special energies.

As far as I can tell that wasn't intended to be possible, which would make this a bug.

for bronzong to work this way, there also has to be basic metal energy in the discard.  oddly enough, it can't search directly for the dragon energies if it is the only kind there.

Archived