kevster888

There are a couple of things I've noticed in the online game that need serious improvement, and some that just confuse me. I want to talk about a few of these issues.

First of all, the coin flip. During the match it seems about 50/50, but at the beginning of the game my odds are WAY lower. Before the latest update, I could choose tails for the coin and get it frequently. But now, whatever I choose seems to be the exact opposite of what is flipped! When my opponent flips, they always get what they call. I don't know if it's a bug, bad luck, or karma for all the times I flipped tails at the beginning. It's just confusing.

The versus ladder could be improved as well. At the beginning of a versus match, one player gets an "advantage" for some reason. I know if you're not the person with the advantage and you win, you get an extra five points on the versus ladder. But what if YOU'RE the one with the advantage? Let's say for example you are against a new player and you get the advantage. You win like the game expects, and what happens? You get ten points, while the poor rookie gets none. I feel like the person without the advantage should get five versus ladder points if they lose (without being inactive, conceding, or disconnecting) to make it a bit easier for those people not as skilled.

Finally, I have an idea. Some people (such as myself) don't like to do Tournaments and just rack Tournament Tickets up without spending them at all. My idea is that the tickets should be able to be traded for normal cards, booster packs, or anything else. If not that, then you should be able to redeem your tickets for coins. It's just an idea, but I think it'll work nicely.

Thank you for reading and have a merry Christmas. :)

You can "redeem" your tournament tickets for uncommon chests, if you want. Entering a tournament and then conceding/leaving without playing will get you an uncommon chest for last place. You can get good stuff in those uncommon chests, and they're trade-able (unlike stuff from the in-game shop).

As for the coin flip, It may just be a perception thing. I hate relying on attacks that use coin flip, because I feel like tails is way more common when I play. Sometimes in Trainer Challenge, the first guy on that ladder lands 5 or 6 heads in a row with that stupid Bidoof. Yet I can't seem to ever deal any damage with Kyogre's coin flip attack. 

I don't really understand the whole "advantage" thing, and I didn't know it worked like you say, so can't help there. Did they ever play what the advantage meant, in the tutorial or anything?

I had a suspicion the coin flips are inherently rigged, this is what ive seen past years. The more you win, the less likely the flip is in your favor, it is rarely 50/50, when it happen 5 times in a row. but statiscally it should be around this. Also, playing a deck you havnt played in a long time, always benefit coin flips in your favor. Maybe you can graph the heads and tails, to see how much you are actually getting.

You can "redeem" your tournament tickets for uncommon chests, if you want. Entering a tournament and then conceding/leaving without playing will get you an uncommon chest for last place. You can get good stuff in those uncommon chests, and they're trade-able (unlike stuff from the in-game shop).

As for the coin flip, It may just be a perception thing. I hate relying on attacks that use coin flip, because I feel like tails is way more common when I play. Sometimes in Trainer Challenge, the first guy on that ladder lands 5 or 6 heads in a row with that stupid Bidoof. Yet I can't seem to ever deal any damage with Kyogre's coin flip attack. 

I don't really understand the whole "advantage" thing, and I didn't know it worked like you say, so can't help there. Did they ever play what the advantage meant, in the tutorial or anything?

No, no mention in the tutorial about what advantage really means. :/

From what I've noticed, when you get advantage, it seems to give you better card combinations needed to make easy wins. That seems to be the only difference I've noticed because I've gone from:

Opponent has advantage: I pull no energy in 5 turns with most of my supporters never appearing until the end. 

I have advantage: starting hand is Sceptile EX, spinarak, ariados, forest, professor's letter, and two other cards. 

I've tried it with many different decks and that always seems to happen. Maybe it's a bad draw but even in tournaments, I'll have the advantage all three rounds and will win the tournament in 10 turns total. To me, it's 

the only conclusion. 

I have played this game way to much...

My understanding of advantage, is what player have the best wining stat.

Example:

If player A wins 50 % of every battle and Player B wins 65% of every battle. Then Player B has the advantage.

But i think there is more to it...

If the differens between players is only 5-10% then no advantage, if the differens is bigger the 10 then a player is mark as an advantage.

Regarding the coin flip I am absolutely positive it's not 100% random, some cards have higher chances than others, if you doubt me go play Kyogre or reserved ticket for example, you'll pull your hair off before getting a head.

Regarding the coin flip I am absolutely positive it's not 100% random, some cards have higher chances than others, if you doubt me go play Kyogre or reserved ticket for example, you'll pull your hair off before getting a head.

I agree 100%. Of course, the mods have clearly stated that there is no "rigging of the coin flip", but we all know there is something up with it, as do they. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I don't play coin flip cards for a reason, with a couple extreme exceptions.

The coin streaks in certain ways for certain cards\combos\players. Playing the game regularly proves that substantially.

I think its psychological used to think that a lot but now i don't notice more tails then heads.

do a coin toss over +1000 games and record results otherwise it's just a wild superstition

for second part i do like the idea of converting tourney tickets into tokens but as pktyrantrum already pointed out you can enter tourney conceed and get a chest and or tokens depending which tourney it is.

The game uses a pseudo random number generator, which means that the coin flips are not completely random.  There is a formula that is used that mimics the chances, but it is not 100% accurate.  Anyway, I might keep a graph and post it here after a few hundred coin flips.

Also, I support the idea of the loser getting 5 points for losing against an advantaged player.

Hello Trainers!

Coin Flip: The coin flipping mechanic is monitored very closely by the Development team to make sure that it is working as intended. There are currently no issues with the formula used to calculate coin flips, or it would have been reported to the community. Coin flips are an important part of the Pokémon TCG, so this is taken very seriously. They are not rigged in any way or stacked in a particular player's favor.

Advantage: This is determined by each player's previous wins. The player without the Advantage will get extra prizes from their win, including more Versus Points and Trainer Tokens. This doesn't allow either player to draw better hands or get any advantages during the match but merely affects the prizes. I will certainly pass along the suggestion for players losing against the Advantage player to receive some Versus Points. :)

Tournament Tickets: I'll submit your suggestion to the Dev team for consideration, kevster888! We've had a few similar suggestions recently, so they'll have a few to look over.

Thanks for your input, and I hope this was helpful! ^^

Archived