Better, but...

rgp151

First off, it does look like the game devs were listening to the feedback, so that's great. Overall I think this update is a step forward.

However, I still like the old UI better, as it was crisper and cleaner when all the animations were turned off. The new one now looks basically like the prior update, but on fast forward. 

I still don't like the drag and drop interface and am hoping that we can go back to the old single click way of play. Still would like Undo back and ways to back out of things that are in process, like if I click on Scorched Earth but then decide I don't want to do it after all before I've discard any energies, it forces you to discard, you can't back out. Same with Ultra Ball.

But overall, yes, thumbs up.

Hi rgp151,

Thanks for the feedback.  I appreciate that you're giving things another look and the thumbs up.  Thumbs up on your constructive feedback.

let me clarify a few of your issues to help set expectations.

Undo will not be coming back.  As we have stated previously, we want the Pokemon TCG Online to be a competitive play environment.  Just like there are no "take backs" at competitive organized play events, so too there will not be the ability to Undo in the online version.

Because there is no Undo, we want game play to be deliberate.  By having you have to pick up your card and then to deliberately place it down, it gives you the opportunity to rethink that play before you place it.  

Hopefully that helps!

First off, it does look like the game devs were listening to the feedback, so that's great. Overall I think this update is a step forward.

However, I still like the old UI better, as it was crisper and cleaner when all the animations were turned off. The new one now looks basically like the prior update, but on fast forward. 

I still don't like the drag and drop interface and am hoping that we can go back to the old single click way of play. Still would like Undo back and ways to back out of things that are in process, like if I click on Scorched Earth but then decide I don't want to do it after all before I've discard any energies, it forces you to discard, you can't back out. Same with Ultra Ball.

But overall, yes, thumbs up.

People want the game to be at the excellent state. (Not Perfect ... no such thing is being at perfect state)

The new discard pile concern many players...not able to view all card at once (with scrolling) to ease their gameplay.

Yeah, the new discard pile I defiantly don't like. 

I didn't notice if you can now select all cards without the card list disappearing (like it originally was), but if that behavior has not changed then that is still bad as well. 

Also, the card draw animation at the start of the game, while faster, is still way too slow. 

But again, overall, its good.

Honestly I still can't even update the game, whenever i try the updater keeps repeating and going back to the start, i left it for over an hour an nothing !

Mods can you please help with this !

Samhayne, thumbs down on your post. I am once again truly disappointed by a post of yours.

You keep comparing this game to the physical game, which is obviously a fair comparison since that's what this game is based off. However, you're now specifically making adjustments to make it more like "competetive organized play events" which is just disappointing.

First of all, "competitive organized play" isn't the only Pokemon TCG format - I'd say that it's probably the least common one, as events only happen once in a while and many people can't or don't want to attend them. Many people prefer casual matches with friends rather than TCPi sanctioned tournaments.

For that reason, it's awkward to make the core TCGO experience reflect on "competitive organized play" - there are no real life rewards, it's not competitive. It's just a game for its own sake, something that you play for fun and to kill time, maybe test some decks to use in the real life game.

"Competetive organized play" could be simulated during tournaments, since they are the only form of direct competition in this game at a lack of a ladder system, NOT the general game, including friend battles. You're disappointing so many players by doing that.

Secondly, you seem to be forgetting that this is a COMPUTER game, which is distinctly different than the real life game, where you actually hold the cards in your hand and are immersed in the play environment. For example,

• Misclicks happen in computer games. You changed the interface to drag-to-play to make it more "deliberate", whatever that's supposed to mean, but a player might STILL make a mistake and misclick while dragging the energy to his active Pokemon, attaching it to a benched one instead. The real life equivalent of this would be dropping a card by accident - whoops, I guess you've attached that energy to that benched Shaymin now... No wait, that'd never happen, no one would punish an honest mistake liek that.
  • Lack of focus / being distracted happens in computer games. You have the game on a small window and you're browsing the web, listening to music or talking to a friend on Skype. You play that Pokemon down but you didn't mean to, you were just distracted. Whoops, tough luck!
  • Actions are explicitly announced in the physical game. If I play a Hex Maniac in the physical game, I'll announce it to my opponent and I'll leave the card on the board for him to see until its effect fades, so if he plays a Shaymin without realizing that it'll do nothing, it's his own fault. In the TCGO however, the opponent might play a Hex Maniac when you're not completely paying attention and it'll go straight to the discard pile, followed by another 3-4 cards so if you missed it, tough luck. You should have been looking at the game log non-stop!

These fundamenetal differences separate the physical game from the computer version and no matter what you do, they'll still be problems unique to the computer version. The undo button helped bridge the gaps however and it was a handy tool that made the play experience a LOT better for many people. It only worked with energies and benching Pokemon, which are common misclicks, as well as being able to cancel out of Ultra Balls etc following a misclick.

All of that is now gone and the reason you give for it is disheartening at best, it suggests that TCGO staff are probably not actively playing either the physical or the computer game for these obvious problems to be of any concern to them.

Finally, I just can't get around the wording you used to communicate with the OP:

Undo will not be coming back.

So gameplay decisions are non-negotiable? Is there really no way you'll consider player input and revert the change if you believe that removing it was a mistake?

That is a truly terrible attitude for a company to have towards their player base. I guess turning off animations, proper prize placement and actual tool/energy cards rather than pips will not be coming back either, right? Someone made up their mind and that's it.

Well, here's a tip for free, if you're seeing lower player numbers it might be because all of those players who were massively disappointed with the previous update "will not be coming back" either, given your attitude towards player feedback.

But that's alright, because you're following the course that someone arbitrarily decided on, regardless of whether it meant that a great game was ruined in the process. At least you're appealing to a younger demographic now!

Perhaps it would have been better to say, "We have not plans to bring Undo functionality back"

We'd love to give out Champion Points for aspects of TCG Online play (Tournament standing, for example) and provide players who are interested a path (in part) to compete in the World Championship.  With goals like that, yes, the core game is being changed.

I can appreciate your feelings and thoughts.

Hopefully you can also appreciate that I am shooting straight with you.  I'd rather not lead anyone on.

Honestly I still can't even update the game, whenever i try the updater keeps repeating and going back to the start, i left it for over an hour an nothing !

Mods can you please help with this !

Chawkyv, your best course of action is to visit www.pokemon.com/support and enter a Question to the Support Team and include the details of what is happening.

Chawkyv, your best course of action is to visit www.pokemon.com/support and enter a Question to the Support Team and include the details of what is happening.

I'll give it another shot by letting it get even more time to finish updating and if it doesn't work i'll try that

Perhaps it would have been better to say, "We have not plans to bring Undo functionality back"

We'd love to give out Champion Points for aspects of TCG Online play (Tournament standing, for example) and provide players who are interested a path (in part) to compete in the World Championship.  With goals like that, yes, the core game is being changed.

I can appreciate your feelings and thoughts.

Hopefully you can also appreciate that I am shooting straight with you.  I'd rather not lead anyone on.

not that i might agree with the direction the updates and decisions that are taking place now but to see at least a reply from staff is a step in the right direction.

For a good while I thought this was just an pointless sub forum so that mods could have a good laugh while many players pour out their angry comments about the recent changes.

so thumbs up for being here at least :P

As we have stated previously, we want the Pokemon TCG Online to be a competitive play environment."

Then why are you doing seemingly everything you can to make the play experience NOT uniform to the real game? If the developers really wanted to give us a competitive play environment, we wouldn't have our prizes stacked instead of spread out like they should be.

Old UI still better, but its okay with new 2.33 :)

Thumbs up for dev team to respond our feedback (y)

Mods, just curious, i have some glitch in game.

-My breaktrough pack always untagged by it self, so sometime i cant see my breakthrough pack when i want to make a trade.

-since new update i cant see my alternate 2015 sleeve and box that i have, where are they going?

-sometimes filter in public trade cant work propperly.

Archived