"Concede" benefits suggestion

TheDZone586

Hi,

So currently mostly anyone who is down to their last play or knows its their last play concede's.  This happens after like a 10-15 minute game and leaves the winner feeling a little empty handed.  

I'd like to start a suggestion into rewarding the winner something more than a normal win for this.  Like in a tournament it's not major but the 3 week ladder it's annoying.  

Recommendation:  award the winner 5 more points for the win.  Consequences is something I thought about too, but I mean that would be too complicated.  But currently would prefer if something could be done to help the player who plays the whole game.  

Maybe like after 5-6 minutes into the game is good, because sometimes people get frustrated early if they get bad draws and shouldn't play a whole game, but that's different then conceding when you know you're going to lose on your next turn, etc.

Thanks, 

The issue with this is that conceding because you know your going to lose is a fair move since theres players out that who will still take excessively long turns when they  clearly have the game won.  Also there are players who have limited time and want to play the most possible so why not concede in a clear lose, and move on to maximize games played?

Yeah, I hate when people take long turns, but its normally not like that. Still though, especially when you are **************** on one hit and knocked out 2 guy in a row before they take their last turn and before i can quickly attack, WELP! The opponent concedes.

Feel like its abused overall.

or just reward losers of games, so they are not stuck playing 20-30 minutes for nothing, yesterday constant rubbish hands against mewtwo ex.. or fighting easymode gets tedium, when you get nothing.

Why would you want someone who is going to lose stay in the game anyways? I can only think of one reason, and it's not a very positive one.

The only reason I see for being upset the opponent left is if I was attempting a knockout challenge although I usually let them know before, and even if they did leave I wouldn't really be that upset since its not that tough to complete for the most part

The only reason I see for being upset the opponent left is if I was attempting a knockout challenge although I usually let them know before, and even if they did leave I wouldn't really be that upset since its not that tough to complete for the most part

to be honest this is the only reason I see where someone could be upset about the knockout (for what I consider to be valid reasons)

and the easiest solution to that is to let your opponent know what you're attempting- a lot of them are nice people and help you out- who knows maybe they're doing the same challenge too?

to be honest this is the only reason I see where someone could be upset about the knockout (for what I consider to be valid reasons)

and the easiest solution to that is to let your opponent know what you're attempting- a lot of them are nice people and help you out- who knows maybe they're doing the same challenge too?

I agree, if my opponent lets me know he's doing a challenge I usually have no problem helping them complete it, but at the same point if my opponent has the game clearly won and starts playing tons of cards drawing his turn out I just quit no point in remaining to watch them play around.  

To be fair, with the ladder being the "main farm" and me neither having time nor a desire to spend 3 hours per day on PTCGO watching unwinnable games finishing, I always concede when I know I can't win and I appreciate if my opponent is doing the same thing. It saves us both time to finish that ladder. I can only see 3 reasons for wanting to play the game all way when winning:

1. Challenge. Then announce it! Most of the time (unless it's like 3am, yes, sometimes I have to play at that time due to how much of my days that can be full with stuff) I'll be helpful and stay if you play as quickly as you can. I'll not sit through watching you drawing cards to slow down the process if I do you a favour. Because remember, that IS a favour. Not a right you are entitled to which some people actually seem to think.

2. Playtesting. When playtesting it IS good to see how the deck plays the endgame (even when its winning) as it is helpful to know against decks that can get out of that situation. However, I would NEVER expect a stranger to take time out of their day to help me with playtesting, it would be disrespectful of me to expect that. That is what one has friends and a helpful competitive community for.

3. Pure gloating. There is a special kind of person who enjoys playing a winning game for hours just to see their opponents suffering, While I also have some ******* of this trait in my personality I do not expect my opponent to stay just to satisfy this feeling for me, and neither will I do that same "favour" for someone else if I sit in an unwinnable game. Unless I am, as mentioned above, playtesting with someone I know.

TL;DR:
If you have a challenge you are in a hurry to do, please say so! Otherwise, respect your opponent's time.

personally, i dont want token benefit if opponent concede. But, can dev teams make they only can concede in their turn? So opponent cant concede in our turn, Im tired every time im going to make last hit, they concede without said anything, many times.

I think it's fine as it is. The Winner still gets his prize with reduced effort

The Loser gets atleast 1 gold or better results the more prize cards they claim I think (Or it's purely the wheel)

Anyways it seems balanced considering there's a lot of chance and luck involved. 

personally, i dont want token benefit if opponent concede. But, can dev teams make they only can concede in their turn? So opponent cant concede in our turn, Im tired every time im going to make last hit, they concede without said anything, many times.

Erm... That would be a sincerely bad idea. I can see infront of me people trolling by not doing anything during their turn. :P

i'm getting rather fed up of this now

20 minutes of time wasted, constant "draw the worst cards from deck" or damage depending on stuff benched or energy card easymode, grass junk that counter my grass deck.

this is tedium and no fun, i'm already behind on ladder, and this is extra time i have put in to catch up and do dailes (a reason i'm using this deck)

I gain NOTHING, NADA, ZERO for these RNG BASED SCREWUPS, except frustration, especially when the game gives ME the advantage when giving me bellsprouts and freaking wurmples.

not only is this taking any tactics out of the game, but fun as well... 20 minutes for zero progress just takes the mic, especially given i have level balls, EX cards..

Why would you want someone who is going to lose stay in the game anyways? I can only think of one reason, and it's not a very positive one.

I can think of one. The daily challenge. I like my 60 or so coins I get for knocking out 16 Pokemon with my really badly build grass deck because I don't have any Septile ex's.

But if it's with one of my really good decks and I am seriously set up and the player leaves me hanging with 3 prize cards to go. Then I have to start all over in a new game with the same results.

I never concede. Not even with the copy cat "night march/beedril" decks. I almost always let these decks go first, because you can tell what deck you are playing when you start and only put out 1 Pokemon and let them go through half their deck on their first turn to knock out 1 card.

Glad some people agree with this, the best suggestion was to allow the final turn.  

Also about respecting people's times, the whole point was that it was my time too which needs to be respected and an added benefit would be thoughtful of the people who play through on the last play of the games.  

Do you same people who complain, quit on the last play of the game in-person? no i doubt it.

So a benefit for the victim and no punishment for the conceder late in the game, why would that be a problem? 

Do you same people who complain, quit on the last play of the game in-person? no i doubt it.

Erm, yes, I sorta do that in-person actually... When I play TCGs in person it's very often in tournament environments (or playtesting with friends or a team, but that I covered in my earlier post). In these cases everyone is even more thankful about saving a minute or two as days are usually very long and every second of rest one can get inbetween games are worth more than you can believe if you've never played in these environments. It can be the difference inbetween getting a real lunch or having to live the entire day on a Hot Dog during some cases...

I just simply see the problems this might bring up like people stalling on purpose to make the opponent concede. All that can be abused will, as proven multiple times, be abused in this game (as seen back in the days when all cards weren't trade locked...). And really, It shouldn't be a problem to begin with if someone quits to save both some time unless you're simply that eager to draw that final prizecard.

If doing daily's, fine! I get you. If you tell me I'll stay to help you finish them (unless as I stated that it's 3am in the morning and I really need to do an evolution daily which are best done by quitting and replaying the first couple of turns of a game over and over). Usually though, I see it as a good thing to leave as it saves both me and the opponent time as the ladder is the thing that takes time to farm in PTCGO.

I can't say I've ever had people complain about this stance as they are plenty of happy to save inbetween 1-5 minutes of not having to play a winning game to get their 10-15 points towards the ladder.

A valid complain about giving away 5 extra points towards the ladder for concede though: It wouldn't take long before the community collectively come up with a gentlemens agreement about conceding if they lose the coinflip. It has already happened with some Shrifty farmers. Because if given 5 extra points for a concede it would make this the by far best way to farm no matter if your deck has 80-90% winrate or not and the entire point of the ladder would be gone, which was to make Versus more active and competitive.

I can think of one. The daily challenge. I like my 60 or so coins I get for knocking out 16 Pokemon with my really badly build grass deck because I don't have any Septile ex's.

But if it's with one of my really good decks and I am seriously set up and the player leaves me hanging with 3 prize cards to go. Then I have to start all over in a new game with the same results.

I never concede. Not even with the copy cat "night march/beedril" decks. I almost always let these decks go first, because you can tell what deck you are playing when you start and only put out 1 Pokemon and let them go through half their deck on their first turn to knock out 1 card.

actually the 60 coins reward is for evolution- which in fact is probably better if your opponents concede- since if you're running a normal deck, you'll have all your evolutions out (or at least a fair amount) by turn 2-3

and conceding isn't such a bad option.. for example, let me assume I want to test my raichu deck vs dialga for a regionals the next day.. I can either sit and play out my games (which may be an almost known loss vs lando bats/ an almost known win vs ray), or try and find a dialga deck my friend has or actually concede and move on to the next game which is the most likely way to get a dialga matchup

also telling what deck you are playing is easier than just letting them go first.. you can actually just take a look at the deck preview

Glad some people agree with this, the best suggestion was to allow the final turn.  

Also about respecting people's times, the whole point was that it was my time too which needs to be respected and an added benefit would be thoughtful of the people who play through on the last play of the games.  

So a benefit for the victim and no punishment for the conceder late in the game, why would that be a problem? 

all I have to ask to this is do you really want to see a rise in stall decks? because that's exactly what this suggestion is going towards..

if you are really interested in keeping your opponent from forfeiting, just message him that you're doing your daily challenge or whatever.. if they don't want to help, I suppose that's their choice.. i'm sure you wouldn't force a person to wait for you irl if you had got a sponsor who'd pay you money for two more minutes of play time.. suggest? maybe.. force? no..

all I want to say is, some people legitimately want to finish their challenges while others legitimately stall/showboat.. considering one side of the spectrum and projecting it to be the only thing happening is a mistake

the problem isn't stalling though, doing dailies when you got no chance.

recent situations I have had include:

nightmarch doing 120 on first attack

typhlosion rare candied on turn 2. hitting 160

as well as the usual mewtwo/lugia/darkrai ex spams.

giving you no or little chance to do anything if so much as draw something rubbish.

the problem isn't stalling though, doing dailies when you got no chance.

recent situations I have had include:

nightmarch doing 120 on first attack

typhlosion rare candied on turn 2. hitting 160

as well as the usual mewtwo/lugia/darkrai ex spams.

giving you no or little chance to do anything if so much as draw something rubbish.

you're not even on the right thread lol.. this is about giving benefits to the winner of a conceded game.. which means you give a bonus when you quit a game of whatever you don't want to play and encouraging the decks which you just mentioned..

plus 120 on night march is relatively minimal.. so not worth mentioning here.. I've seen 200's first turn many times (without weakness)

What id instead of an auto-bonus the victor had to flip a coin? Heads you receive (X) additional coins/points, tails nothing?

Just an added metric to make things a little more palatable. 

• 2 weeks later...

omglob. I feel so bad. I've been taking medications that make me sleepy and I've been falling asleep during games.

Here I am this whole time complaining about people conceding  and I'm here letting the time run out because I'm falling asleep. 

I must have lost about 4 games this way <_<

Archived