Maxie's

fr33land

I've been practicing Maxie's because I want to make a Gallade Maxie's deck.

I don't have Gallade online, so I've been fetching Primal Groudon instead.

3 Landorus

2 Hawlucha

2 Lucario EX

2 Maxie's targets

4 Unown

4 Ultra Ball

4 Acro Bike

4 Trainer's Mail

4 Battle Compressor

4 VS Seeker

2 Focus Sash

2 Muscle Band

1 Switch

1 Professor's Letter

4 Strong

8 Fighting

The supporters I'm torn on, I figure I can drop a few items if I need more, but fewer is better.

I know I want Lysandre and Giovanni's.

2 Maxie's (2-of is a must I figure, if I plan on not just hoping it's not a prize card)

1 Lysandre

1 Giovanni's

1 Judge

1 Sycamore

1 Korrina

That would be 7 so. . . I figure Battle Compressor and VS Seeker is going to give me pretty much instant access to any of them, but there are a few I want extra copies of, Giovanni's and Sycamore in particular, or at least some draw and Giovanni's.  Korrina would be nice to have reliably, but again, too many supporters hurt the chances of turn 1 or 2 Maxie's. no?

I tried taking a few items out and putting Mega Turbo for Groudon, but it really sucked, I was taking out cards  that help  Maxie and adding 3 cards which are unusable until you've made the conversion.

I'm not a huge fan of Maxie's / Archie's. IMO, they are only worth it for mega game changing cards like Blastoise. Archie's > Blastoise can lead to turn 1 victory. Maxie's > Gallade typically cannot, not the least of which because Gallade is going to go onto your bench and not the active spot, so even if you could drop a DCE on him, you'd also have to ******* active to hit anything. So most likely you're just going to be using him to reorder cards on the turn you bring him in.

Having said that, any Maxie's deck needs Maintenance, especially with all of those VS Seekers. The problem I have with it is that in order to pull Maxie's you build the whole deck around that and end up with a far inferior deck that's basically only good at pulling off Maxie's.

Just look at the deck, what really takes more cards, Maxie's or an evolution line with Rare Candy?

You could easily run 2-1-2 Gallade with 1 or 2 Rare Candy and 1 or 2 Level Balls, so that's a total of 5 to 8 cards to support getting out Gallade. Now look at Maxie's. It's more like 14 cards, plus you are giving up running 4X Korrina.

Not worth it IMO...

You;re right there, Blastoise has the ability to swing the game immediately.

I think it's mainly the challenge of getting the Trick to work that attracts me to the game mechanic.  I really just don't want to run 3 basics and a stage 1 that will never attack or confer any advantage.

It's kind of rude to always try the trick though, since often your first turn consumes 3 minutes of running game time, where your opponent isn't able to do anything except watch you 'play with yourself'.  Pun fully intended.

Even Primal Groudon, though, which I suppose is a special case, since it is able to sit on the bench, immune to trainer cards is kind of fun to play this way. . .  I've been doing very well, even though it takes ages to power Primal up, it's really really potent.

I see Maintenance: able to shuffle resources like VS Seeker back into the deck.

You've got a point though, Korrina is really pretty excellent, it means you can cut down to two-ofs of crucial items since you can call on them with ease, you just need to make sure you have two so that critical card isn't prized.

I think Hidden Groudon is actually currently undefeated (so far).  It's mangled quite a few decks.  You know what happens though, too, is I only want 1-2 copies of a stadium, so Gaia Volcano. . . isn't . . .  That's a pretty huge sacrifice for the flashy move I'm so married to.

That's the thing too RGP, it's impractical to run Octillery, like I want to, if I am commited to Maxie's, I can basically only run basics, and 4 Acro Bike / 4 Unown is pretty terrible compared to a 2-2 Octillery line.

What about running 2-1-3 or 1-0-2 or 1-0-3 Gallade, and 3 Korrina and 2 Maxies and the rest of the deck just normal and then just use Maxie's if it happens to work out but don't make it so its the focus? I had a Medicham/Machamp like that one time and it was decent. Some games I never pulled off a Maxie's but others it just happened naturally...

The conditions for Maxie do seem to come up on their own if you are using Korrina repeatedly:  Your hand does not refresh and will go down by one each time (assuming you're not using Korrina to search for something you can't play (?)).

Better yet, what about Gallade/Groudon and run like 1-0-2 Gallade and 2-3 Primal Groudon with 2 Maxie's and then just decide situationally which one to pull first?

Also, really check out Maintenance. If you run a basically standard deck, but with 2 or 3 Maintenance in it, and like 2 Maxie's, then you'll be surprised how often you can pull it off. Not turn 1 typically, but within 3 or 4 turns quite often.

Also, Maintenance helps with Mega Turbo, cause you can Ultra-Ball away energy, then use maintenance to preserve your Mega Turbos and still get them back to take advantage of the energy you discarded for Maxie's. Also Landorus....

Thanks, RGP. Maintenance is definitely a good addition. I only have the two copies, but it's come in handy a few times.

Primal still seems to be pretty unbeatable. Even beat a 4 x Seismitoad EX deck.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 13

2 Primal Groudon-EX PRC 151

3 Hawlucha FFI 63

2 Landorus FFI 58

2 Lucario-EX FFI 107

4 Unown AOR 30

Trainer Cards - 35

1 Fighting Stadium FFI 90

4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92

1 Giovanni's Scheme BKT 138

2 Switch PRC 163

1 Lysandre ******

****** Bike PRC 122

1 Professor's Letter BKT 146

1 Korrina FFI 95

4 Ultra Ball FLF 99

4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92

2 Focus Sash FFI 91

1 Judge BKT 143

2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick PRC 133

2 Professor Sycamore XY 122

1 Muscle Band XY 121

4 VS Seeker PHF 109

2 Maintenance FFI 96

Energy - 12

4 Strong Energy FFI 104

8 Fighting Energy XYEnergy 3

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I've been trying it in tournament mode now, to see if it still stacks up against more fanatical players. Still undefeated somehow. I won one only because M Mewtwo's trainer played Judge on his turn when I had 0 cards left and a bunch in hand, that was an extremely close match though. Psychic Infinity is outrageously bad, just like Evil Ball and so on for Primal, but Omega Barrier at least lets you get the drop on them since they cannot force Primal into the active. Suffered massively from only having the one stadium though. I think Silent Lab would be an excellent inclusion, dunno what to sacrifice though, it would have the bonus of allowing Hawlucha to hit for weakness and perhaps shut off a critical ability for my opponent.

I kind of figure this list would work for anything fighting . hidden ball, if I had a M Lucario EX, I'd try it for fun. Of course I am always ' going for it', and I select basics based on match ups, discarding Lucario EX if I can't play it with focus sash against NM and so on.

Omega Barrier is still such an outrageously unfair 'ability' or whatever, the fact that it's an ancient trait and it can't be turned off is just plain stupid.  Love it.

So I've had now a couple losses.

Gengar EX / Trevenant

and I got donked by Medicham when both copies of Maxie's were prized, on turn 2 he Yoga Kicked for 80 on an Unown and a Hawlucha.

I imagine Giratina EX would shred me, but seeing as how it seems tailor made to declaw Primal G. . . meh.

Maybe there are less competitive players on PTCGO now?  I don't play against a lot of Meta decks it seems, even in tournaments, where btw, I seem  to be stomping things recently.

Archived