XY9: BREAKPoint Standout Cards Review (EARLY)

ChawkyV

So, because you can only retreat once in a turn, it'll be: 4 Greninja XY + 2 Greninja BREAK + 6 [W] = 240

But you can still spread the 360 if you use switches or escape ropes.

And that end my conclusion, that this deck can still do a lot of damage. The only thing is that you also need at least 3 turns to get all the frogs out.

and u should throw at least throw 4 energy for those shurikens every turn. Thats makes u need more fisherman in hand for keeping water energy stock in your hand.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, because you can only retreat once in a turn, it'll be: 4 Greninja XY + 2 Greninja BREAK + 6 [W] = 240

But you can still spread the 360 if you use switches or escape ropes.

And that end my conclusion, that this deck can still do a lot of damage. The only thing is that you also need at least 3 turns to get all the frogs out.

Yes despite that drawback it still does a lot of damage, I presume Like you said Switches and Escape Ropes will be a must here.

and u should throw at least throw 4 energy for those shurikens every turn. Thats makes u need more fisherman in hand for keeping water energy stock in your hand.

Of Course, this deck needs Fisherman & Energy Retrievals !

From my experience, this can't can't afford many switches/escape ropes, of course, in theorymon it's easy to say but when you play this deck properly, even without the BREAKs, it's very compact and just can't keep up with all these fast deck's without a good start (turn 3, 2 Ninjas, constant Miltanks). I'd say having 1 BREAK in play will be fine, having more than 1 and switching seems too extensive. But of course, this is still all theorymon so we'll just have to wait till it comes out. Just remember though, a Stage 3 deck (in essence) doesn't really play much role in these days of EXs and Night March...

From my experience, this can't can't afford many switches/escape ropes, of course, in theorymon it's easy to say but when you play this deck properly, even without the BREAKs, it's very compact and just can't keep up with all these fast deck's without a good start (turn 3, 2 Ninjas, constant Miltanks). I'd say having 1 BREAK in play will be fine, having more than 1 and switching seems too extensive. But of course, this is still all theorymon so we'll just have to wait till it comes out. Just remember though, a Stage 3 deck (in essence) doesn't really play much role in these days of EXs and Night March...

I know but even if it's stage 3, Frogadier makes easier by skipping 1 stage alltogether, and i disagree, i think it need s at least 3 Greninja Break to function properly, and using 1 Switch/Escape Rope each turn, will guarantee 90 per Break + 30 for 1 benched Greninja each turn, + you can attack for 1 energy and do 50 dmg that's a total of 260 dmg each turn which will wipe out any Night March cancer, all for 6 energies total, that you can easily get back with Fisherman / Energy Ret, but as you said it takes luck and at least 3 turns to set up properly, but we'll need to try it to find out for sure, it could be great and it could also crash ans burn, for now we'll never know for sure ...

Well, as I said, I've been tinkering with a Greninja/Miltank deck and I have to say I completely disagree with you, as I said before, you're using Theorymon, as in assuming you can Fisherman/Ret every turn (which would either take a supporter or use limited Ret which you can only have 4 and only gets 2 water). As for the Night March matchup, from my experience getting out 2 Greninjas pretty much closes ANY chance they have since they have to take 6 prizes and you OHKO all their mons with Miltank + 1-2 Greninjas take out either Joltik or Pumpkaboo in one turn respectively. I have 1 Switch and 1 Float Stone and I get the turn 2 Ninja maybe 75% of the time. And thats with 8 energy, now just imagine, having THREE more pokemon (BREAKS) and according to one of the previous comments SEVEN more energy (someone said 15 energies in this deck) and 2 or 3 more switching cards. Even with Frogadier thats asking way too much. Trust me when I say, having 3 Greninjas out and being able to consistently attack with Miltank is REALLY difficult to counter, once you have three you can 2HKO any EX with a muscle band or 1 Shuriken and still be left with 2-3 energies for Shurikens, against Mega's its much easier even with devoting more Shurikens/KO. And energy disruption is not a factor since you expect to have Miltank get KO'd each turn and you shouldn't have more than 1 energy in play. Oh and having Greninja as an attacker is absurd, that will in no way be useful and I don't ever see that deck working out if your Greninja's are getting KO'd every turn.

Well, as I said, I've been tinkering with a Greninja/Miltank deck and I have to say I completely disagree with you, as I said before, you're using Theorymon, as in assuming you can Fisherman/Ret every turn (which would either take a supporter or use limited Ret which you can only have 4 and only gets 2 water). As for the Night March matchup, from my experience getting out 2 Greninjas pretty much closes ANY chance they have since they have to take 6 prizes and you OHKO all their mons with Miltank + 1-2 Greninjas take out either Joltik or Pumpkaboo in one turn respectively. I have 1 Switch and 1 Float Stone and I get the turn 2 Ninja maybe 75% of the time. And thats with 8 energy, now just imagine, having THREE more pokemon (BREAKS) and according to one of the previous comments SEVEN more energy (someone said 15 energies in this deck) and 2 or 3 more switching cards. Even with Frogadier thats asking way too much. Trust me when I say, having 3 Greninjas out and being able to consistently attack with Miltank is REALLY difficult to counter, once you have three you can 2HKO any EX with a muscle band or 1 Shuriken and still be left with 2-3 energies for Shurikens, against Mega's its much easier even with devoting more Shurikens/KO. And energy disruption is not a factor since you expect to have Miltank get KO'd each turn and you shouldn't have more than 1 energy in play. Oh and having Greninja as an attacker is absurd, that will in no way be useful and I don't ever see that deck working out if your Greninja's are getting KO'd every turn.

you're taking all the fun out of what it seemed to be like a fun deck to use, but again as it is for me it is also Theorymon for you as well, we can't know for sure till we try, and tbh not EVERY deck is Night March, there are some slow decks out there as well and besides Greninja Break deck good or not won't be a Tier 1 competitive deck that's for sure it just seems fun to use

If I did the math correctly, 4 (Greninja XY + Greninja BREAK) + 8 [W] = 360

. . . . .

(Trying to figure out how to counter this deck)

x4 Garbodor. The perfect counter to this deck. XD

Running only 2 Froakie, there will be times when both your Froakies are prized. It won't be that uncommon either. Definitely not competitive, since if both Froakies are prized then the whole deck shuts down. Think about it. If those 2 cards are prized, it's an auto loss. That's pretty brittle.

Even if only 1 is prized you are in a pretty bad spot, because if you have 1 prized and get a Froakie start then that Froakie will likely get KOed, and then you'll be stuck.

I'd defiantly run at least 1 Ace in the Hole in a deck like this just to have some kind of way to get another pokemon out if you are stuck on Froakies.

For me right now it's:

Fighting Fury Belt as a replacement for Muscle Band when it moves out, unless it gets reprinted in a set like Lysandre/Skyla. Once Furious Fists is gone though, I'll be in trouble, losing Landorus, Korrina, Lucario-EX, Fighting Stadium and Strong Energy will be something my deck can't recover from.

Delinquent is just a stupid card that it just begs me to use it, and if you open with it and Red Card it'll place your opponent under considerable pressure. And since no one will hesitate to dump it on me, I've no reason not to use it either.

All of the new EX's and Mega EX's, I collect EX's so even if they're absolute **** my binder still wants them!

Running only 2 Froakie, there will be times when both your Froakies are prized. It won't be that uncommon either. Definitely not competitive, since if both Froakies are prized then the whole deck shuts down. Think about it. If those 2 cards are prized, it's an auto loss. That's pretty brittle.

Even if only 1 is prized you are in a pretty bad spot, because if you have 1 prized and get a Froakie start then that Froakie will likely get KOed, and then you'll be stuck.

I'd defiantly run at least 1 Ace in the Hole in a deck like this just to have some kind of way to get another pokemon out if you are stuck on Froakies.

Well you do choose your basic starting pokemon before the 6 prized cards are set so you only need 1 froakie and pray it won't get KOd, well we have to test and tweak this deck before judging :)

Ace in the hole might be a good tech here, but i personally find it too hard to play to be good

Yeah, but if you run only 2 Froakie, then most of the time you won't be starting with Froakie. I don't know what the statistical chances are, but I do know that in decks where I run 2 of pokemon it seems like about one of out every 10 or so games I'm in a situation where both are prized. But even having just 1 prized can lead to some pretty fragile starts...

2-4-4-2 chain seems like living in crazy theory-land where nothing bad ever happens tbh. Sadly, that IS needed if building a deck solely around Froakie line. I wouldn't though and would rather have a good main attacker and then having the Froakies as extra firepower when needed. I would rather play something like 3-3-3-2 (for a total of 11) as deck spots are limited and I want atleast 1 good attacker in the deck (i.e. 3-4 copies of it to ensure it's not prized) and then I certainly want a couple of the new Manaphy. That's 16-17 Pokémon spots right there, which is far more than I am normally comfortable with to begin with. This means I'll have a maximum number of slots for 13-14 energies (which I would really not want to go lower at if I aim to use Greninja's abilities) as I want at least 30 trainers in any standard deck I build. This means that the dream scenario where I can just throw every Shuriken I want each turn is a dream... :P I would rather be more consistent and have it as an extra damage engine/bench removal engine.

The fact that Garbodor is a thing also makes me VERY hesistant towards depending on this line as my only realistic way to win. It would maybe be nice in a Golduck BREAK/Palcia EX deck, Mega Gyrados EX deck or Mega Gladlie EX deck as a way to put on more damage and keeping the opponent's bench clean from supporting powers, but I would never rely on them as main attackers as 50 damage attacks are simply too weak even with all the shurikens flying around.

Takeaways:  

My fire deck, 4 Delphox XY is going to have a tougher time, but still doesn't scare me. 

Time Puzzle could get Blacksmith used TEN TIMES!!!!!! 20 free energies

Need some fire cards, that Camerup would be okay in this fire deck

I think Max Elixir with Blue Mega Mewtwo is going to be pretty devastating. I think I'll get rid of Dimension Valley altogether and just run 4 Shrine of Memories, with just straight up 4X4 Mega Mewtwo with no other pokemon in the deck with 4 Mega Turbo and 4 Max Elixir. Should be able to pretty consistently get her going on turn 2 like that.

I think Max Elixir with Blue Mega Mewtwo is going to be pretty devastating. I think I'll get rid of Dimension Valley altogether and just run 4 Shrine of Memories, with just straight up 4X4 Mega Mewtwo with no other pokemon in the deck with 4 Mega Turbo and 4 Max Elixir. Should be able to pretty consistently get her going on turn 2 like that.

I already run it 4x4 with Valley but yes Max Elixir willbe a huge help before you mega evolve and it will make M Blue an even bigger threat with Shrine and Damage Change, My favourite deck just got better !

2-4-4-2 chain seems like living in crazy theory-land where nothing bad ever happens tbh. Sadly, that IS needed if building a deck solely around Froakie line. I wouldn't though and would rather have a good main attacker and then having the Froakies as extra firepower when needed. I would rather play something like 3-3-3-2 (for a total of 11) as deck spots are limited and I want atleast 1 good attacker in the deck (i.e. 3-4 copies of it to ensure it's not prized) and then I certainly want a couple of the new Manaphy. That's 16-17 Pokémon spots right there, which is far more than I am normally comfortable with to begin with. This means I'll have a maximum number of slots for 13-14 energies (which I would really not want to go lower at if I aim to use Greninja's abilities) as I want at least 30 trainers in any standard deck I build. This means that the dream scenario where I can just throw every Shuriken I want each turn is a dream... :P I would rather be more consistent and have it as an extra damage engine/bench removal engine.

The fact that Garbodor is a thing also makes me VERY hesistant towards depending on this line as my only realistic way to win. It would maybe be nice in a Golduck BREAK/Palcia EX deck, Mega Gyrados EX deck or Mega Gladlie EX deck as a way to put on more damage and keeping the opponent's bench clean from supporting powers, but I would never rely on them as main attackers as 50 damage attacks are simply too weak even with all the shurikens flying around.

It is after all still just a Pre-release theory, we have yet to test and tweak it but Yes With Garbodor around the chances of using this deck are dropping each day .... :( 

too bad it seems like a really fun deck to use

Hey guys what do you think of this?

Click Here

If I am correct, and I am probably not because I am relatively new at Pokemon, but rage of the broken sky has 8 ex's and BREAKpoint has 11 ex's? Please correct me if I am wrong. Does this mean that BREAKpoint could have Jolteon EX? Is there some way that Jolteon EX will get released in english? I am asking because I really want to make a deck that revolves around Jolteon EX. Everyone is afraid of the Fighting Spirit Belt because basic ex's can get really strong, but that also means more people will use basics, maybe? This could increase the power of Jolteon EX a lot, especially since it can counter ex's with an attack and not with an ability, which can easily be stopped by Garbador.

I was thinking that I could make a deck around Jolteon EX, Espeon EX, and Regice. I could use Jolteon EX to counter basics. I could use Regice to counter ex's. And I could use Espeon EX to devolve my opponents pokemon to make Jolteon EX a more viable option.

I realize that since I am a new player, there could just be too much hype for Jolteon EX, but I feel like if it is combined with some other pokemon it could be powerful.

Tell me what you guys think about Jolteon EX. Is it going to be really powerful and see some play? Or is it going to be like pyroar and just be shut down? (I guess pyroar was shut down mostly because of Garbador, but I just want to know what you guys think).

Jolteon-EX looks really annoying and, IMO, too powerful. All it will do really is just push the meta even more toward Megas. Kind of disappointing really. More M-Ray and More Mega Mewtwo..

Yep then more Night March will come out to counter the Mega's and therefore we get a vicious circle of Night March > Mega's > Jolteon > Night March. But luckily we still have a very viable Meta and Evolutions are not all dead (Garchomp, BREAKs) I'd say this standard is a lot more versatile than BCR-on.

Hey guys what do you think of this?

Click Here

If I am correct, and I am probably not because I am relatively new at Pokemon, but rage of the broken sky has 8 ex's and BREAKpoint has 11 ex's? Please correct me if I am wrong. Does this mean that BREAKpoint could have Jolteon EX? Is there some way that Jolteon EX will get released in english? I am asking because I really want to make a deck that revolves around Jolteon EX. Everyone is afraid of the Fighting Spirit Belt because basic ex's can get really strong, but that also means more people will use basics, maybe? This could increase the power of Jolteon EX a lot, especially since it can counter ex's with an attack and not with an ability, which can easily be stopped by Garbador.

I was thinking that I could make a deck around Jolteon EX, Espeon EX, and Regice. I could use Jolteon EX to counter basics. I could use Regice to counter ex's. And I could use Espeon EX to devolve my opponents pokemon to make Jolteon EX a more viable option.

I realize that since I am a new player, there could just be too much hype for Jolteon EX, but I feel like if it is combined with some other pokemon it could be powerful.

Tell me what you guys think about Jolteon EX. Is it going to be really powerful and see some play? Or is it going to be like pyroar and just be shut down? (I guess pyroar was shut down mostly because of Garbador, but I just want to know what you guys think).

It is likely, yes. About the Jolteon EX being playable? I am not too hot on it. While Pyroar was good even with the posibility of being shut down an added issue for Jolteon EX is the fact that we have Mega EX's now that are not basics. That was not a problem when Pyroar was in the format. Another issue is that it needs to attack to turn on it's effect. There are many ways to kill this from the bench before it has been turned on.

The last, and maybe biggest issue, is that Regice is better at everything Jolteon EX wants to do. It turns off ALL effects and isn't an EX itself plus that it also hits most Mega EX's. While I know that it is a water pokémon and Jolteon EX is a lightning Pokémon splashing a couple of water energies isn't a big deal in a mono-coloured lightning deck. If going multicoloured deck, Rainbow Energy is back.

While it might be sideboard tech in tournaments I don't really see it being a main deck card in Standard (even on PTCGO where there is no sideboarding). We might see what the future offers though! ;) It DOES answer Lugia EX splenditly which is a good bonus. And it does counter Nightmarch which might be very relevant in PTCGO as its one of the easiest available sort-of-competitive standard decks.

It is likely, yes. About the Jolteon EX being playable? I am not too hot on it. While Pyroar was good even with the posibility of being shut down an added issue for Jolteon EX is the fact that we have Mega EX's now that are not basics. That was not a problem when Pyroar was in the format. Another issue is that it needs to attack to turn on it's effect. There are many ways to kill this from the bench before it has been turned on.

The last, and maybe biggest issue, is that Regice is better at everything Jolteon EX wants to do. It turns off ALL effects and isn't an EX itself plus that it also hits most Mega EX's. While I know that it is a water pokémon and Jolteon EX is a lightning Pokémon splashing a couple of water energies isn't a big deal in a mono-coloured lightning deck. If going multicoloured deck, Rainbow Energy is back.

While it might be sideboard tech in tournaments I don't really see it being a main deck card in Standard (even on PTCGO where there is no sideboarding). We might see what the future offers though! ;) It DOES answer Lugia EX splenditly which is a good bonus. And it does counter Nightmarch which might be very relevant in PTCGO as its one of the easiest available sort-of-competitive standard decks.

Regice doesn't do everything JoleonEX does, JolteonEX protects itself from non-EX basics which is why people mentioned Night March which Regice doesn't help against.

Jolteon-EX is indeed very good, but the Umbreon-EX revealed today as part of XY10 is the BEST eeveeluttion EX ever omg it's amazing !

Umbreon-EX – Darkness – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C] Night Veil: 20 damage. Discard any number of cards from your hand. Then, draw an equal number of cards from your deck.

[D][C][C] End Game: 70 damage. If damage from this attack Knocks Out your opponent’s Active Mega Evolution Pokemon, take 2 additional Prize cards.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 1

4 Prize cards, 4 !

Jolteon-EX is indeed very good, but the Umbreon-EX revealed today as part of XY10 is the BEST eeveeluttion EX ever omg it's amazing !

Umbreon-EX – Darkness – HP170

Basic Pokemon

[C] Night Veil: 20 damage. Discard any number of cards from your hand. Then, draw an equal number of cards from your deck.

[D][C][C] End Game: 70 damage. If damage from this attack Knocks Out your opponent’s Active Mega Evolution Pokemon, take 2 additional Prize cards.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)

Resistance: Psychic (-20)

Retreat: 1

4 Prize cards, 4 !

Holy Cow!!! Theoretical Situation:

You have knocked out an ex and have picked up 2 prize cards. You have damaged your opponents mega ex. You retreat your active pokemon and bring your umbreon ex to your active position and knock out your opponents mega. You win. LOL!

This could be really powerful, but it is definitely very situational. So pretty much, if you don't go against a mega Manectric deck, its not very useful

Holy Cow!!! Theoretical Situation:

You have knocked out an ex and have picked up 2 prize cards. You have damaged your opponents mega ex. You retreat your active pokemon and bring your umbreon ex to your active position and knock out your opponents mega. You win. LOL!

This could be really powerful, but it is definitely very situational. So pretty much, if you don't go against a mega Manectric deck, its not very useful

as good as it is it is obviously NOT gonna be the main attacker, the best options right now for it would be Yveltal-ex & Giratina-ex , I personally am gonna try both decks to see which is better !! but Umbreon-ex really is a great game finisher, people love AT Articuno and Umbreon is a step further 'despite its damage output capped at 90 with Muscle Band)

Archived