Deck for new players to have an edge in the game... (spoilers long winded)

Soubadguy

This deck is meant for new players as most cards are already available at the start of the game. Its an unorthodox, non standard but expanded deck that i am using in player versus.

Table of Contents

- Introduction

- Decklist

- Reasoning

- pokemons used

- optional

- trainer cards used

- Alternatives

- Strategy

- Summary

Introduction

This deck is made up of grass, psychic and heavy water pokemon deck.

As new players you will be given starter cards. Note worthy ones based on damage-wise, i think there are only gyarados(water) who can do insane damage and if you are also given the mental might starter you will have the powerful gallade(psychic). Both of them can easily do 100+ damage if set up fast and correctly and u can one hit most pokemons. Yes and i am talking about even mega evolution pokemon with hp ard 220 within 10 turns if you manage to survive.

Forgot to mention about delphox(fire). You might want to take a look at TheDZone586's topic if you looking to make a fire deck.

http://forums.pokemontcg.com/topic/36717-hot-fire-decks-with-little-fire-pkmn-cards-available/

In every deck you make, you would want to have at least one or two game maker pokemons. You need to protect it carefully and set your deck to work with those pokemons.

Decklist

Pokémon - 20
1 Sceptile-EX AOR 84
1 Deoxys ROS 33
1 Wurmple DRX 6
1 Silcoon DRX 7
1 Beautifly DRX 8
1 Ralts PLS 59
1 Kirlia LTR 124
1 Gallade PLS 61
1 Articuno ROS 16
1 Feebas DRX 27
1 Milotic DRX 28
1 Froakie KSS 12
1 Frogadier XY 40
1 Greninja XY 41
1 Lapras XY 35
1 Magikarp AOR 19
1 Gyarados AOR 20
1 Spheal PRC 46
1 Sealeo PRC 47
1 Walrein PRC 48

Almost all cards mention here are readily available at the start of the game

Please note: Essential pokemons are ones mark in bold

Trainer Cards - 23
2 Teammates PRC 141
1 Professor's Letter XY 123
2 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
3 Evosoda XY 116
2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
3 Steven ROS 90
2 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
2 Dive Ball PRC 125
2 VS Seeker PHF 109

1 Rare Candy PRC 135
1 Cilan NXD 86

Almost all cards mention here are readily available at the start of the game

Energy - 17
3 Double Colorless Energy

3 green basic

8 water basic

3 psychic basic

Reasoning

Pokemon used:

Using gyarados is easy, all u need to do is bang all your water energy to it for aqua tail especially when u know u need huge amount of damage to win. Aqua tail gives 90 plus damage and for every water energy attach to it u got a chance to get 30 extra damage.

Gallade is abit different. Powerful storm's damage basically works on how many energy cards u have in the field x 20. So basically in ten turns u can easily dish out 200 damage only if u place energy cards at every turn.

Utility tanks there are 3 noteable ones in water deck they are free at the start of the game. That would be articunos, lapras and milotic.

articunos with sleep

with hp 120, it can help u tank with only one water energy and you can delay your death by using its sleep skill. Not only that, its retreat cost is only 1.

articunos with find ice

although it doesnt provide you with sleep. It helps you get 3 water basic energy from your deck with the price of one.

Lapras with seafaring

With seafaring. you can get 3 energy back from your discarded pile to your active and bench pokemon with 3 chances. This actually helps your gallade if you still remember how powerful storm works(mentioned above). You can combo with heavy ball if you know what i mean.

Milotic with clear search

This pokemon can help u get any 3 cards in your deck with just one water energy and its retreat cost is only 1. Its second skill can cause sleep status.

If you intend to use other better cards as tanks. just a slight advice use someone with high hp with a good utility and low retreat cost if possible. Anything that can make gyarados and gallade come out fast is good utility.

Optional

Adding green to this deck is really optional but its because i have those cards i implement them into my deck.

Sceptile ex

with one green energy i get the chance to sleep and poison a pokemon. With two energy i can deal 60 damage. If the opponent pokemon is poisoned or sleep it becomes a 130 damage hit at one go. Retreat cost is only 1.

Beautifly(Triple energy)

I need an alternate pokemon to mass up damage for gallade's powerful storm fast. Beautifly(Triple energy) with one green energy u can search for 3 different types of energy and set them to any pokemon you like.

Its retreat cost is only one and its second skill can heal all bench pokemon for 40hp. 

Besides that at 1st stage, Silcoon can use protect with one energy cost! it can help tank for awhile.

Seal

other than sealeo with freezing headbutt that can stun and walrein with knockout to remove stadium cards and frozen splash to deal ton of damage to fighting pokemon.

Greninja

Decent hp 130hp, it can stun at stage 1 too and low retreat cost. Final evolve skills are useful too. Discard 1 energy to deal 30 damage to engage pokemons that my opponent are dying on the bench. Besides one energy to deal 50 damage is sick based on my opinion. You can work with lapras to get those discarded energy back too or combo with feraligatr.

Deoxys

Decent hp 110hp, it helps you draw more cards even if you start first. Overdrive smash's damage is decent at second hit and last but not least low retreat cost.

Trainers cards used

Having energy to use at every turn is crucial. This goes with every single deck out there. So your utility/assist pokemons and trainer cards u use are also important for anyone out there to win. So what if you have a mega evolution pokemon without energy its garbage.

With the above mentioned list, at every turn i can place an energy to any pokemon i intend to field.

Alternatives

If you dont have some of the pokemon cards mentioned above, You would want to look for something that has a good utility.

For example,

- search cards

- draw more cards

- search a basic pokemon or more

- increase your survival chances

anything with sleep or confusion or even skills that can prevent activation of your opponent's pokemon skill.

- having low cost retreat is a bonus 

Strategy

- Try to survive at the start with utility/tanks.

- Try to get your gallade or gyarados up as fast as possible. Do not tank with their   basic.

- Dont hestitate to change yr cards in your hand if you think you dont have an edge.

- Dont hestitate to retreat with pokemons that have low cost.

- lapras is especially useful once you have at least 2 discard water energy cards.

With milotic and trainer cards quickly find out if you can have gyarados or gallade up in bench fast! Note when doing clear search, notice what cards u have or might need later, this may change yr gameplay at the get go.

Summary

Some tips i believe,

If you make a deck at least have one or 2 main killers that can deal with mega evolution pokemons.

If you dont have powerful cards work on those that have high potential and utility. Example would be before i started using sceptile ex into this deck, i was using simisage.

Look for pokemons that can deal decent damage with least amount of energy required

Look for pokemons with low retreat cost is a plus.

Note: This deck requires you to think on spot as you play. Once you build a deck with similar usage test it out so you know what to do whenever anything bad crops up. Have fun and try it out. I will share other decks i have after i get the cards i need and test it on other players.

Any questions do ask but im also new with limited cards therefore I may not be able to help so dont blame me when it happens >_>

Sou

peace out...

(New Improved Version) - Edited on 24/12/2015

Table of Contents

- Decklist

- Possible changes

- Alternate

Decklist

Pokémon - 16

(Colorless)
1 Skarmory ROS 69

(Grass)
1 Sceptile-EX AOR 84
1 Wurmple DRX 6
1 Silcoon DRX 7
1 Beautifly DRX 8

(Psychic)
1 Deoxys ROS 33
1 Ralts PLS 59
1 Kirlia BKT 69
1 Gallade PLS 61

(Water)
1 Articuno ROS 16
1 Feebas DRX 27
1 Milotic DRX 28
2 Lapras XY 35
1 Magikarp AOR 19
1 Gyarados AOR 20

Trainer Cards - 26

2 Professor's Letter XY 123
2 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 94
2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
3 Evosoda XY 116
2 Teammates PRC 141
2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
4 Steven ROS 90
2 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
3 Dive Ball PRC 125
1 Rare Candy PRC 135
2 VS Seeker PHF 109
1 Cilan NXD 86

Energy - 18

8 Water Energy XYEnergy 9
3 Double Colorless Energy PHF 111
3 Grass Energy BLWEnergy 5
4 Psychic Energy XYEnergy 8

Possible Changes

- Might remove skarmory in the future if further testing suggest its safe to do so.

Most likely replace with a pokemon(Virizion with bail out) or item card(sacred ash) that can revive key pokemon cards.

- Remove beautifly for ariados poisonous nest ability. This will greatly strengthen the use of Sceptile or go for beautifly with miraculous scales.

- Might reduce the amount of energy after more further testing.

Alternate

You can change this deck into complete blue expanded deck by using better cards.

Instead of using

Green

1 Sceptile-EX AOR 84
1 Wurmple DRX 6
1 Silcoon DRX 7

1 Beautifly

Psychic

1 Deoxys ROS 33

1 Ralts PLS 59
1 Kirlia LTR 124
1 Gallade PLS 61

and removing 3 green and 4 psychic basic energy.

You have 15 cards more card slots to add.

You can either work on getting the 2 copies of Totodile, Croconaw and Feraligatr or 2nd copy of magicarp and gyarados to replace the missing gallade. However if you have gallade its definitely worth using.

Note: you can get Totodile, Croconaw and Feraligatr from the bolt twister theme deck.

If after adding those cards mentioned above and there is still space left, you can also work on adding more trainer cards.

Sou

peace out

I want to know about this tbh i do but i can't read all that i'm sorry :) way too long

Was editing it... the words just lump together >_>

Feel free to take a second look =) should be readable by now but still lengthy i cant help it lol...

Sou

peace out

1. Provide your deck list, its way easier to follow you this way ( you can copy and paste the deck directly from the game client).

2. Try to structure your content a ***** i.e. introduction, talking about your deck, tipps and tricks, talking about general concepts, etc.). Use bold and underscore to lead us smoothly into another chapter, with that it's much easier to follow your text

3. Check your spelling. I know that this isn't an essay for chool, but given the lengh of your text I'd imagine you (for the love of Allah write this word out) put some effort into it, so go the extra mile and run the text through word / read the whole thing again and look for unclear phrases, etc.

4. Last but not least we should take a look at your deck and I'm sorry to say but this list looks terrible by all means. Just taking a look at your Supporter and Item line-up goes against anything that a basic deck building class would teach you. I know that you are building with limited resources here, but even the basic decks from the game provide cards that are better in comparison to a lot of your cards.

So yeah, I appreciated the effort, but maybe it would be wise to play the game a bit more and learn about proper deck building, because your guide is lacklustre to say the least.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If ever there was a thread needing "TL;DR", this is it. I can't even decipher this because it's like somewhere between a technical manual and teenage girls talking.

Intro (or Strategy if not apparent) > Decklist > Reasoning. This is the format you should use. I can't offer any more advice because I lost all will to read after the second paragraph.

The formatting is much better. But the deck still needs work. Thin evolution lines and several energy types make for a convoluted, inconsistent deck. It's best to pick a couple pokemon that work well together, and run more consistent lines of those pokes.

Any deck that claims it is for beginners to the game should not have EX in it, or cards from Expanded. I am tired of seeing people say that "here's an easy deck for a beginner" and then the decklist has several EX that are hard to get. Yes, I have quite a few EX now, but not Sceptile.

Have you actually tried using that deck? How did it work out for you?

Because it seems pretty bad, sorry.

Yup I did. The very least i have fun using it.

Imma try posting some battle results with this deck soon and the opponent's deck if anyone is interested, slightly busy with work these days.

Sou

peace

Archived