Is there not some way to "block" matchmaking with other people?

Axelay

It occurs to me that online systems like Xbox Live allow you to "avoid this player" when in a public session. I could swear that there used to be some way to do this in this game a long time ago, but I may be mistaken. I feel like this could be a very useful addition to this game for a variety of reasons.

Great idea. Blocking undesired people only in VS mode,  or use a filter to avoid annoying decks. Unfortunely, the VS mode are plagued by noobs and farmers that only use Shiftry decks or Netdecking decks from internet. :(

I just want an option to Unlimited battle mode to avoid banned cards.

That will permanent fix the Shiftry /Giant Fan deck problem for me :)

Coincidentally enough, both RhapsodyDragon and settlers25 seem to have hit upon my ulterior motive. I am not a typical player of this game in any capacity, as I only play Unlimited and I don't have any interest whatsoever in participating in a tournament. I've been playing this game casually since its very first incarnation way back with WOTC Base set, and the absolutely ludicrous volume of Shiftry donks in Unlimited nowadays is a true sign of decline. I would have no qualms whatsoever about simply adding those who play this deck into a "do not match" list if such a thing were to exist. And before people get all up in arms about an unwillingness to play against the deck, stop and think for a minute about live/meet play: If you have a deck which you'd like to play, maybe because it has a favorite card, some fun strategy, or maybe even just a baseline viable concept, and you were to look around at the other decks being played in a meet, would you choose to go over to the person playing a known Shiftry donk deck and start a game when you knew that you might not even have the opportunity to have a single turn? (Clearly if you have an anti-Shiftry deck, then the answer would be yes.) I know that I would not, and the only reason why is because I don't feel like this particular archetype offers any kind of honorable or fair competition, and I have many better things to do than to waste my time. It's really a shame that banned cards are still allowed in Unlimited play...

If you have that much of a problem playing against Shiftry and find it pops up too much then ask for games in the chat rather than playing random people, I don't think the ability to use Shiftry should be totally removed from the game, the versus rewards are quite important for some people to complete to get coins/boosters/cards but some people work a lot during the week and it's difficult to complete the whole versus rewards with normal decks before it resets and missing out on them could deter people from playing because they can't earn enough in the game, especially now that the game is so slow to play.

Using Shiftry to power through games quickly just until you've completed the versus rewards when you have time spare and then with any extra time play normal decks is fine with me.

Ignoring the whole Shiftry debate ( seriously everything that could been said about this issue has already been said, thrice), such a system would never work due to several negative implications.

The whole idea of the ladder is to play against random people. Limiting yourself only to a chosen few is exactly the opposite of that.

Choosing to “never play against player X ever again”, based on a random deck choice he made in a particular format is not particularly wise. Today that dude might play Shiftry and tomorrow he might burst out that cool Gengar Prime Lost World deck, but you will never know, because of a single game and don't even start upon multiple formats.

This whole system just cries to be abused. Hey, let's just select any good player you know and maybe work yourself down the top 100+ on the leader boards ( dunno if they are working again, haven't checked them in a while) and start crushing beginners the whole day, sounds like fun.

Limiting yourself to a few select individuals furthermore increases your time between games ( finding games in Unlimited is already significantly higher than in other formats and with your system you'll have to wait even longer. One could even argue that the 10 seconds it takes to concede against Shiftry would take less time than this).

I'm sure that I just scratched on the surface of the long list of problems that would arrive with such an addition to the game.

If you have that much of a problem playing against Shiftry and find it pops up too much then ask for games in the chat rather than playing random people, I don't think the ability to use Shiftry should be totally removed from the game, the versus rewards are quite important for some people to complete to get coins/boosters/cards but some people work a lot during the week and it's difficult to complete the whole versus rewards with normal decks before it resets and missing out on them could deter people from playing because they can't earn enough in the game, especially now that the game is so slow to play.

Using Shiftry to power through games quickly just until you've completed the versus rewards when you have time spare and then with any extra time play normal decks is fine with me.

You just told us the whole point to ban shiftry deck. This is an exploit to be honest.

Yeah, you shouldn't be able to block anyone. The whole point of matchmaking is you to play against some opponent that you don't know. Or else, you can just block everyone and play with just your friends and just keep on farming

I never even considered that before now. That really DOES seem like an exploit. It makes a mockery of the versus rewards system, and adds to the further waste of time for other competitors. Why would the developers feel that this is an acceptable thing to perpetuate?

Ignoring the whole Shiftry debate ( seriously everything that could been said about this issue has already been said, thrice), such a system would never work due to several negative implications.

The whole idea of the ladder is to play against random people. Limiting yourself only to a chosen few is exactly the opposite of that.

Choosing to “never play against player X ever again”, based on a random deck choice he made in a particular format is not particularly wise. Today that dude might play Shiftry and tomorrow he might burst out that cool Gengar Prime Lost World deck, but you will never know, because of a single game and don't even start upon multiple formats.

This whole system just cries to be abused. Hey, let's just select any good player you know and maybe work yourself down the top 100+ on the leader boards ( dunno if they are working again, haven't checked them in a while) and start crushing beginners the whole day, sounds like fun.

Limiting yourself to a few select individuals furthermore increases your time between games ( finding games in Unlimited is already significantly higher than in other formats and with your system you'll have to wait even longer. One could even argue that the 10 seconds it takes to concede against Shiftry would take less time than this).

I'm sure that I just scratched on the surface of the long list of problems that would arrive with such an addition to the game.

You make a very compelling argument. I see now the problem with blocking players artibtrarily.

Still, I am one of those oddballs who doesn't care one single bit about rewards, leaderboards, or tournaments. I just like to play the game because it is FUN and encourages INNOVATION. Or, rather, it should be. Having a dominant one trick pony in the ecosystem which flagrantly exploits a rewards system and potentially punishes people who simply want to have decent non-time-wasting competition seems a very perplexing decision by those who should be managing this system... It'd be great if there was an Unlimited No Banned environment. Problem solved.

Archived