The NEWBIES (or anyones) guide to fair trading

zekrom311

I've made a similar post a couple months ago in regards to how to make and/or recognize a good or fair trade. Since the Pokemon TCGO is no longer in CLOSED BETA and we are now in OPEN BETA, we now have alot of new players. Most of which are indeed either new to Pokemon or new to the latest version of the game. One of the things that makes Pokemon a fun game is the trading aspect. I remember when i first started playing the game it was during the DIAMOND & PEARL era,....and silly me, I traded away (at a real life tournament) my UXIE LVL. X for a regular Salamence, a Empoleon and a Infernape. Oh yeah on paper it looked good, 3 rares for 1 rare LVL. X. oh yeah that was until i found out that the Uxie lvl. x was one of the RAREST of all lvl x. cards and had a value at the time of almost $75 dollars. OUCH!!!! Well lucky for me I was able to get two more, one thru a costly trade on my end, and the other in a booster pack. Anyways my point is I'm not wanting others to fall into the same mishap I did. So I am hoping this post helps not only the newer players to Pokemon TCGO, but to anyone and everyone.

Rule number 1: Every rare (star card) isnt valued on the same level. Just because you are being offered a rare card for a rare card doesnt mean per say that their values are the same. Serperior (regular) for Zoroark is not a good deal folks sorry. So its important for you to know the value of not only YOUR cards but the cards based on what the market of trade has set.

Rule number 2: Quanity never tops quality. You would be surprise at how many times in public trade forum people assume they can offer you 10 commons/uncommons for a rare card and think that its a fair trade. NO COMMON/UNCOMMON IS WORTH ANY RARE, ever!!! Now if you are just feeling generous, or perhaps you have a great deal of multiples of a specific rare that you just dont care about trading away then so be it.

Rule number 3: Beggers cant be stingy. Look I've always felt that if I was offering a deal for a card I wanted, it was my job as the "initiating trader" to always try and "sweeten the deal a bit. It helps with possibly being able to trade with others more on the regular as well as build up your reputation as a good trader. For instance, a FULL ART ZEKROM for a FULL ART RESHIRAM is a fair one-for-one deal. But if I'm the one initiating the trade, and its the full art Zekrom that I'm wanting,....I will offer my full art Reshiram, along with lets say a Judge Supporter with maybe another rare card like a regular Typhlosion or regular Samurott.

Rule number 4: Pokemon with abilities, poke-powers, and/or poke bodies hold higher value over pokemon that do not. Some of you may or may not have noticed,....but Serperior/Emboar/Samurott although a rare cards are not of equal value to its Serperior/Emboar/Samurott with ability counterparts, so edge on the side of caution when doing trades where the other person is asking for your pokemon that has these qualities. From my observation most NON PRIME cards that have abilities, poke-powers, or poke-bodies warrant at least getting 3 decent rare cards for them. Some like Emboar w/ ability could possibly get you up to FIVE (yes!!!) FIVE rares for just that one card alone.

Rule number 5: Some cards you just may need to mortgage your house for. Obviously thats a joke, but listen, if you happen to own any of these cards,....feel very good about yourself because the value of these cards are extremely high. I call them the FAB FIVE..*PLEASE NOTE, THIS LIST DOESNT INCLUDE CARDS FROM THE EMERGING POWERS RELEASE because at present time the market has yet to be set for most of these cards in POKEMON TCGO. But again if you have either or multiples of these five cards, then be happy that you do, be VERY HAPPY!...5.Double Colorless Energy 4.Emboar with ability 3.(tie) Yanmega Prime & Rare Candy 2. Gengar Prime 1.Magnezone Prime. Honorable mentions are any of the Reshirams/Zekroms, Zoroark, Pokemon Collectors, Machamp Prime, Judges and Cincinno. Any of these cards can land you between 4-6 good RARES easily.

Anyways I hope this helps, happy gaming,...and definitely happy trading as well.

Generally a good guide and one that anyone fairly new to the game should read, I would like to point out that the line : "NO COMMON/UNCOMMON IS WORTH ANY RARE, ever!!!" is inaccurate, especially when considering trainers and supporters, Rare candy is an uncommon card along with many special energies and such, not to mention the fact that some commons are in such high demand they will often go for a rubbish rare, I myself recently acquired 2 yanma for a rare carnivine and due to Yanmega Primes' popularity I would not consider this an unfair trade. Supply and Demand rule the roost here, not a cards rarity symbol. Once again this is an otherwise fine guide that I highly recommend

Very true,...although when i stated "No Common/Uncommon is worth any rare, ever." I meant that in regards to pokemon themselves....which is why you see me list DCE's, Rare Candies, and Pokemon Collectors in my RULE NUMBER 5 section. Sorry I shouldve been a bit more specific. But yes again very very true LordJebusVII.

Even so, while certainly more prominant in the past (poison experiment Cacturne springs to mind) there are uncommons which I would value higher than the majority of black star rares such as Delibird, Starmie, Tentacruel, Muk, Marowak, Dragonair and Togetic with many more to come in the next few sets I'm sure. I've got to admit though that I can't think of any commons I would ever consider to be of equivalent value to a weak rare since Roast Reveal Vulpix from Platinum... except perhaps Sneasel. I think that my point is valid as originally intended but I suppose that is my opinion and that the value of a card also greatly varies between owners and potential owners.

Just read what the card saids, If it godly, The value is high. The more godly the card, the higher it is(Exception is on super rare low printed cards, that are useless)

I can't believe it took a full list to state EXACTLY what people should do, and they STILL give away free cards!!!!!

(good guide though, very well done)

i think the point Zekrom311 is making is that for alot of the newbies may not know the true value of potential cards. and although some cards that are uncommons have a particular higher value than some rares, the point is "better safe than sorry". and even more so i would assume zekrom311 was talking about specific rare cards, not just rares in general. although he did say no rare card is worth a common or uncommon. but again I see the point he was trying to make. i myself have had people offer me 3 mareeps and a 3 oshawotts for my Ho-oh (not the two part legend) as if to say 6-for-1 is a good deal. i mean there are alot of trainers on tcgo who either make or take bad trades because maybe they dont know the true value of certain cards. i personally would say pay attention to the market and see what cards have the greatest value before you trade any card that is a rare card, even if it is a card that you dont think holds any personal value to you. me i never trade a prime card for anything less than another prime card in return. and that includes the least popular ones. but thats just me. helpful guide still. hope alot of the trainers pay attention to this one.

All rules apply technically but if you're wondering what the value of a Legend card is, they are about the same as a Prime (per half) obviously you wouldn't get something like a Donphan Prime for half a Lugia, or even a whole Lugia for that matter (if you do consider yourself very lucky) but at the same time some Legends are highly sought after and will fetch a good price. See Rayquaza & Deoxys or Groudon & Kyogre

i use to have groundon and kyogre got like 10 or 20 cards for it... and i had both top and bottom too.

Don't forget Rule 2, quantity has little meaning, did the cards you got have any usefulness to you? Were they cards that you would consider worthwhile? A Kyogre & Groudon Legend is worth a LOT, I've seen the real cards sell at £20 per half (the values don't convert well into dollars since cards are generally cheaper in America anyway) so ask yourself, was it worth it? If so good on you, if not, each mistake helps us to gain more insight as we learn from them. You can't become a master without screwing up a few times!

thank you Zekrom311, when I first joined I traded away a mew prime for a celebi prime and a Zekrom for a Metagross pokebody, if it wasn't for this guide I would have made alot of mistakes, but now I've got a Cincinno and it was a bargain, I just gave away my Simisage (I have 4) :) Thanks!

Thanks Bravetoto,....but again always TRY to edge on the side of caution. I do believe this week the Emerging Powers cards will be available in full force with people being able to finally purchase Emerging Powers Boosters correct? So that in turn means new rares to hit the market,...i.e. Thunderous and Tornados. So where will they fall in the market of things, along with Beartic and that new PokeCatcher trainer. Hopefully with the help of LordJebusVII and others we can all continue to keep everyone updated because I know how much it would bite to trade away/lose out on a card with a very high trade value. But again sometimes its all about what that person is will to trade. I mean if i had 5 Gengar Primes (highly unlikely for anybody here, but just for the sake of argument) and no Tyranitar Prime, and i really really wanted a Tyranitar Prime, then maybe I'd do a one-for-one deal for it. But again this is a thread is moreso here to help out the newbies. Trust me if I trade away a Full Art Reshiram for a Samurott w/ability it wasnt because I didnt know the value of my FA Reshi, it probably is moreso of me having a bunch of them (which i do) and just so happened to be in a generous trading mood. haha!!!....Right now i wont be getting any more codes for boosters anytime soon, i figure the 94 codes ive redeemed already should have enough rares in them to trade for some Emerging Powers rares. So i will see how that goes over the next couple weeks. Although Im hoping they will have fixed the binders by then because its really aggravating to have to log in every other day to re-mark the cards i want to trade or trade for.

although it is nice to have a general guideline on the value of cards one also needs to take in account the real rarity of cards online as opposed to the non-online distribution. let us keep in mind markets are governed by real supply and demand values (and dont forget UTILITY as well). take for example rare candy. in real life there are an abundance of rare candies. however in tcg online probably there is a lower amount of rare candies as opposed to reshirams and zekroms so in essence rare candy may turn out to have more value than reshirams and zekroms. the same can also be applied to pokemon collector and double colorless energy, these cards may actually be rarer here online than reshirams and zekroms. if someone is thinking why this is the case its because people would be most likely redeeming more black and white boosters over unleashed and heartgold soulsilver. another good example is palkia and dialga legend. it is a very rare card but has no utility in the current meta. do you think this legend card is more valuable than a rare candy, DCE or pokemon collector in tcg online? i think not.However in the real world you wont trade a Palkia and Dialga half for a DCE since DCE is abundant. what im trying to say is non-online valuation of cards may sometimes not reflect the true valuation of cards in tcg online.

but we are talking online. why make a post about the value of real life cards when the format is TCGO? but yes I'm sure most would understand that there is a difference in value of the TCGO cards in relation to their real life counterparts. at least i would hope so.

Hopefully with the help of LordJebusVII and others we can all continue to keep everyone updated

Thanks for the mention Zekrom!

With regards to Emerging Powers which will be available from 31st after the next update:

Full art versions of Thunderus and Tornadus won't be nearly as popular as Reshiram or Zekrom but have their uses so we can still expect Prime value, but not top tier.

The new Beartic will be up there as well, this will in turn increase the value of cubchoo and Switch since it is one of the few cards that will combat Beartic.

Recycle and Crush hammer will not fetch much but hold onto every pokémon catcher you can, this uncommon trainer will be used in just about all major decks so may even reach rare candy pricing in some cases. Pokémon Catcher will also increase Zoroarks' popularity so expect a slight increase in their worth too. Max potion will be in demand but don't expect collector/judge value. Meanwhile Great ball demand should cool off a little as they will be easier to obtain.

Virizion has been attracting a lot of interest lately, not entirely sure why to be honest but with lots of grass support out there it could be one to watch. Terrakion and Cobalion will also bring a good price but perhaps not as much as Virizion. Due to the popularity of fire decks the Klinklang / Cobalion deck may not take off like it should but if it does expect the Ability Klinklang from BL&W to become sought after.

If anyone is unsure as to what their new cards are worth and wants a card valued feel free to ask here or create a new topic. Many of the top players are constantly on the look out for top tier cards and are willing to trade handsomely for them.

tornadus and audino are the pokemons to get in EP since it serves as a viable to tech to most decks. pokemon catcher obviously is the trainer to get in EP although cheren, bianca, great ball and max potion arent bad at all.

sheer cold beartic has drawn a lot of hype but ive played against it and its problem is it needs 3 energies for it to work and without feraligatr prime's rain dance you will be hard-pressed to power up a second sheer cold beartic. with the employment of switch you can dance around beartic. vileplume has been suggested as a partner to sheer cold beartic but that means you'll need to pay dearly to get a twins engine and rare candies to make it work.

i have also played against virizion and it is dragon fodder. a fully set up reshiram deck or zekrom deck can catcher virizion up and ohko it with no problems.

Good point, forgot to mention Audino. I didn't mention Cheren or Bianca either since I usually stick with Engineers for draw power but I suppose if you have no energy recovery they work well enough.

I believe Feraligatr Prime will make a comeback thanks to Beartic, at least online. Although with DCE Sheer cold is not hard to build.

I have to ask because I don't understand: Why is Virizion popular? Reshiram and Emboar have shut down Scizor and Steelix decks almost completely and I can't see anything Virizion does that Reshi/krom don't. Is it Serperior or Sunflora support? What makes Virizion stand out?

I traded away a Holo Zoroark for a Scizor Prime and a scyther. Was this f'air trade? I don't know much about trading

Depends, did you want Scizor Prime? If you want to go of pure value Zoroark is worth more but the point of trading is to get what you want for a price you think is fair. If you intend to use Scizor and had no plans for Zoroark then both parties get what they want and everyone should be happy with that. I know I seem to be tiptoeing around the question but honestly, if you can make more use out of Scizor then it was a good trade. I traded two full Legends for a Feraligatr Prime a while back, was that a fair trade? Not really, but since Feraligatr has won me 10 battles and the Legends were useless to me, I don't regret it one bit

Depends, did you want Scizor Prime? If you want to go of pure value Zoroark is worth more but the point of trading is to get what you want for a price you think is fair. If you intend to use Scizor and had no plans for Zoroark then both parties get what they want and everyone should be happy with that. I know I seem to be tiptoeing around the question but honestly, if you can make more use out of Scizor then it was a good trade. I traded two full Legends for a Feraligatr Prime a while back, was that ****** trade? Not really, but since Feraligatr has won me 10 battles and the Legends were useless to me, I don't regret it one bit

Thanks, for the tips Jebus. I believe you know the true concept about trading.

Also, I kinda did want a Scizor prime, the zoroark was no use to me. I am hoping to use this card in my future deck

Thanks again!

Archived