Mega Bluetwo Deck !

I think Night March and Primal Groudon are going to be the hard match ups for Bluetwo. I'm not really sure what to do about either one. There are ways to win against Groudon if you get lucky, but the odds are against Bluetwo in that match up IMO. 

As for Night March, I'm not even sure its worth trying. I do have 1 Xerosic in my deck which can help, but I played against a Night March/Bronzong deck in a pctgo tourney with some other deck (don't even remember what I was using) and I think that deck was just about unbeatable by any deck. The guy playing it had some World's sleeves on and it was pimped out with full arts and ultra rares.

I actually got it down to 1 prize remaining on my side, but he won and 2 of the prizes I took were just a Lysandered Shaymin. 

I'm quite confident I could never come up with a Bluetwo build that would be able to beat that deck and also be good for general play.

Against general Night Marchers, I'd say the inclusion of Xerosic is good. The inclusion of Shrine of Memories and Red Mewtwo is good. If you had a Weakness policy it could help, but in order to actually get it in a useful way you would probably need to Battle Compressor Skyla, have a VS Seeker, VS Seeker for Slyka. Skyla for Weakness policy, and Mega Evolve without the Spirit Link on turn 2 with the Weakness Policy, and even then you would need to be very strategic and you'd probably need to use Shrine of Memories, but it would probably get discarded quickly. You could put 3 energy on Landorus to try and even trade on prizes a little, but you would be losing the energy attachment race. You could also Xerosic you link and put the weakness policy on then if you don't want to lose a turn, but what is better, Xerosic your own link or Xerosic their DCE? I'd probably Xerosic their DCE and Mega Evolve without the link.

So maybe with Weakness Policy against a typical Night Marcher, with the help of Xerosic, you might be able to eek out a win. Against a really competitive Night March deck like the one I faced in the pctgo tourney I don't think there is much you can do. You can get OHKOed even WITH Weakness Policy on anyway. The best hope would be if they run 2 Shaymin and you can Lysander 2 of them for 4 prizes I guess. Target whistle might also be an option, but again, setting that up could be too much trouble.

Actually, Target Whistle may not be a bad idea, that way against "non-EX" decks you could Target Whistle out the Shaymin to keep up on the prize count. Most decent non-EX decks run 2 or 3 Shaymin, except maybe fighting. I'm thinking maybe Target Whistle is good. Against Medicham decks that run Lucario you could use it too. 

Almost forgot. Another option, though perhaps a little weird, would be to throw in 1 Focus Sash for Landorus, which could guarantee that you're able to KO at least 2 of the Night Marchers.

Edited by rgp151
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rgp151

• ChawkyV

• PKMNRocker11

• royalebouquet

Kings_Gambit

I agree completely ChawkyV. I dont see a reason why Mewtwo Blue is slow. I built my own variant of this deck myself and it wins Standard Tournaments to be honest. I also look forward to test your given sample of Mewtwo Blue deck. :).

It's definitely not slow. The game I posted for example I attacked on turn 2 for ****after having been Lysandered). Other than turn 1 Mega Rayquaza, it doesn't get any faster than that :P

Finally had a loss with this deck, bu *** was due to my own stupid misplays, not the deck. I think now I'm 11 and 1, and the 1 loss was due to a series of 3 or 4 misplays.

The loss was against a Red Mega Mewtwo/Fairy deck. I could have attacked on turn 2, but didn't realize it until it was too late. I had 2 energy on Mega Mewtwo and Landorus in the active with a fighting Energy on him with a Mega Turbo and a Dimension Valley in hand.

I thought, "oh too bad I don't have another fighting in the discard", then didn't play the stadium (they had Fairy Garden out) and instead attacked with Landorus, instead of retreating Landorus and then using the Mega Turbo.

Also, since I didn't play the stadium it let the opponent retreat into a Xerneas and proceed to Geomancy, which put enough energy in play to eventually let the opponent get the KO they needed.

To add to matters I filled my bench with Hoopa, 2 Shaymin and 1 Smeargle and didn't leave room to put up another Mewtwo. I got the first 2 KOs, but they eventually got a Mega Mewtwo with 4 energy on it and were able to KO my Mewtwo and I didn't have one ready because of my crowded bench.

So, really I'm chalking that loss up to stupidity on my part and the deck still seems practically unbeatable. (I still haven't faced Primal Groudon or a good Night March deck though). I think even a good Gengar-EX or Gengar deck may this this deck trouble though as well.

Getting a little dissatisfied with this deck, but not really sure how to fix it either. I'm trying lots of different version of Mega Bluetwo now. And of course I'm trying to farm coins now to get 3 of the Promo Sableye in the store!

The problem I'm having with my current Mega Bluetwo deck is #1 mirror matches. I've lost several mirror matches even when I set-up first and get the first attack because of all the bench clutter (I often have 1 Hoopa and 2 Shaymin out) and because its 1 hit on all attacks and I often don't have much on the field I can trade with. Maybe running something like Escape rope would help, but so much is down to chance within having it in hand, etc. #2 non-EX decks. You Mega Mewtwo can get worn down by streaming non-EX attackers and I typically only have 1 up at a time and if I'm lucky, one getting ready on the bench. 

I want a deck with other non-EX alternative attackers and Landorus doesn't cut it because without Strong Energy or Muscle Band or Fighting Stadium, Landorus' attack is pretty useless and I can't invest 3 energy for 90 damage on a weak pokemon like Landorus. BUt I just can't find much in the way of good partners for a Bluetwo if I run 3X3 Bluetwo. If I go down to 2X2 Bluetwo, then maybe. And that's something to consider for sure. 

So far I'm trying:

Bluetwo/Mega Manectric : actually not half bad, but a little clunky and hard to get the energy just right, but its not too bad.

Bluetwo/Mega Gengar: I had someone beat me with a similar deck even though I got going way before him and got the first two KOs due to a Lysander of my Hoopa and then because Gengar isn't weak to psychic, so in a mirror match Mega Gengar beats Mega Bluetwo. The energy is less clunky, but there is less acceleration because I took out Landorus to put in Gengar. 

Bluetwo/Gallade: I haven't tried this yet, but I made the deck. Not totally thrilled with it. I'm doing the evolution path to Gallade, not Maxies. I may try a Maxies version as well. Seems like this has potential. 

Bluetwo/Lucario: Sucks they are both weak to psychic, but Lucario provides a decent leadoff pokemon and alternative attacker that's easy to setup. Not really excited about this though. 

Bluetwo/Hawlucha: Hawlucha provides an alternative attacker that can setup for a single energy drop and had free retreat, but he can't hit non-EXs, so kind of a bummer. I like having an attacker that can set-up in a single turn though at times when a Bluetwo goes down, especially if needed to finish off a Mega. That's where Hawlucha is good, as a follow-up to an incomplete OK on a Mega.

Bluetwo/Promo Sableye: Replace Landorus with Sableye. Haven't tried it yet, but seems promising. The question is whether to run Trick coins to put on Sableye or not. The two retreat cost on Sableye is a real bummer though. That alone could kill this card unfortunately. The single retreat cost on Landorus was perfect and would be used to discard an energy for Mega Turbo, but 2 retreat is a big downer.

Bluetwo/Bats: I've seen several Mega Houndoom/Bats decks that are pretty good so I figured I'd try it with Bluetwo, but I can't fit it all in. 

Anyone else have any thoughts on Bluetwo that has been running it? It was really powerful at first, but now that more people are running it, I'm running into far more mirror matches that are quite problematic. 

Edited by rgp151
00dragonite00

I like to use Deoxys as a Draw machine, and it doesn't require any energy. With 1 energy you're [doing] [240] [damage] in 2 hits against Mewtwo (assuming you don't get escape rope'd or lysandre'd). I also run 1 Mystery Energy for Hoopa. I don't have any Shaymin, so I don't use that. However, one thing I do is run 3 Unown, and Brigette them onto my bench, then use them to draw three more cards. Basically, it's 2 Tierno in one.

Edited by 00dragonite00

Another option could be a Bluetwo/Empoleon. You could do an Archie's Empoleon type thing. Not sure it would really be worth it, but its something to think about. All you need is 1 Empoleon and a Giovanni's Scheme to guarantee you can KO everything. 

The Sableye would be SO much better if it only had 1 retreat cost instead of 2. I really don't know what to think about it with 2 retreat cost. Makes it much harder to use.

However, the really nice thing about it it it might make using Hoopa as an attacker much more viable, especially as an end-game type thing. 

Honestly in the few times i tested it, even thou Landorus sounds better theoritically, I found more success with AO Volcarona, idk i might return to using it instead !

The thing I don't like about Volcorna is inconsistency. I've got several Volcorna decks and when you get a Larvesta start with a Wally and an energy they are awesome. But if you start with something like the card you want to bring out, then it is very bad. In my Volcorna decks I think Volcorna uses up 10 cards: 4 Larvesta, 2 Volcorna, 4 Wally.

Still, I may give it a shot.

But honestly, getting Mega Mewtwo out isn't the problem, it's dealing with Megas with > 200 HP, dealing with the mirror match, and dealing with streams of non-EX attackers.

I don't like it either, but as far as this deck goes, it worked far better than Landorus, Idk why, Landorus should've worked better but it just didn't

I still haven't tried Volcorna, but I have tried Gallade/Mega Mewtwo and Mega Gengar/Mega Mewtwo. 

I didn't play a lot with either, but think I like both better than using Landorus. I think I've concluded that Landorus just isn't that good in this deck. He doesn't really help to get a faster start since an energy played onto him could have just been played onto Mewtwo instead and when running 4 Mega Turbo, it's almost unheard of not to be able to get 1 Mega Turbo for turn 2, so really all you need are two energy drops and 1 Mega Turbo, which is easy enough.

I still haven't used the new Sableye yet either. I have 3 of them now, but don't think I really want to put 3 in a deck actually. I'll probably put in just 1. The 2 retreat cost is just killing me on Sableye.

For me the key to being able to consistently win with this deck is being able to get another attacker up after a Mega Mewtwo goes down. Sableye could certainly help with that, as could Volcorna. Gallade is nice because he acts as a good backup attacker, plus provides useful support, but evolving both Gallade and Mega Mewtwo and Octillery is a bit challenging, but its not too horrible.

So, still haven't found the perfect combo yet...

Yes Lando is still the best solution, but tbh M Bluetwo can easily be set in turn 2 even without Lando, thnkx to dimension valley, battle compressor and Mega Turbo, imo it's a very nice deck !:

royalebouquet

Has anybody given Wobbuffet a try as partner? Don't use Shaymin in it or only one of. Also repeat ball, since there is lots of the same Pokemon. Go for 2 Hoopa, since its ability can still be used with Wobbuffet active. Wobbuffet can also be a back-up attacker.

I run 3-3 stadiums, dimension valley and shrine of memories and 2 Skyla to fetch them. I run 3-3 Mega Mewtwo, with only the shatter shot / damage change mewtwo. Healing mega mew two with either pokemon center lady or damage change is so powerful for this deck and Wobbuffet stops the opponent from using its Shaymin to set up.

Still looking at the best way to retreat Wobbuffet once Mega Mewtwo is ready for action, float stone, mystery energy or switches / escape ropes....

Has anybody given Wobbuffet a try as partner? Don't use Shaymin in it or only one of. Also repeat ball, since there is lots of the same Pokemon. Go for 2 Hoopa, since its ability can still be used with Wobbuffet active. Wobbuffet can also be a back-up attacker.

I run 3-3 stadiums, dimension valley and shrine of memories and 2 Skyla to fetch them. I run 3-3 Mega Mewtwo, with only the shatter shot / damage change mewtwo. Healing mega mew two with either pokemon center lady or damage change is so powerful for this deck and Wobbuffet stops the opponent from using its Shaymin to set up.

Still looking at the best way to retreat Wobbuffet once Mega Mewtwo is ready for action, float stone, mystery energy or switches / escape ropes....

Wobbuffet wouldn't be any help since there is no switching happening like Gengar-ex decks.

1 Hoopa-ex is enough, running a 2nd is just weird, when you get Ultra Ball always use it to get Hoopa-ex and then, 2 Mewtwo/M Mewtwo and 1 Shaymin, great draw help

- Like i said in your thread, 4 Dimension Valley are good enough, Shrine doesn't really help this deck as much.

- it doesn't matter which Mewtwo-ex to use tbh, since i barely ever attack with them since i can get the Megas pretty easily due to me running 4-4 !

- Blocking abilities with wobbuffet can be helpful but tbh in this deck it'll just slow it down, you don't need to cancel any ability since M Bluetwo destroys everything ! and + Shaymin is just easy lysandre bait for me !

- Wobbuffet wouldn't be any help since there is no switching happening like Gengar-ex decks.

- 1 Hoopa-ex is enough, running a 2nd is just weird, when you get Ultra Ball always use it to get Hoopa-ex and then, 2 Mewtwo/M Mewtwo and 1 Shaymin, great draw help

- Like i said in your thread, 4 Dimension Valley are good enough, Shrine doesn't really help this deck as much.

- it doesn't matter which Mewtwo-ex to use tbh, since i barely ever attack with them since i can get the Megas pretty easily due to me running 4-4 !

- Blocking abilities with wobbuffet can be helpful but tbh in this deck it'll just slow it down, you don't need to cancel any ability since M Bluetwo destroys everything ! and + Shaymin is just easy lysandre bait for me !

I agree with all this, except maybe Shrine. I run 4 Dim Valley and 1 Shrine, which can be gotten with Skyla. It doesn't always workout that I can use it when needed, ****** has come through a few times.

As for which Mewtwo, I think it does matter a little, but I run 3 and I run 2 X and 1 Y (the damage swap one). Two times I've actually had to attack using Mewtwo and both times I luckily had X to work with since hitting for 120 for 3 energy isn't bad and once it was against Lucario so it was a OHKO anyway. The other was happened to be against Giratina, but I guess the damage swap one would have worked there as well, but I would have to have taken a hit first.

Also, if I start in the active position with Mewtwo I prefer that it be X since for colorless you can protect yourself from 30 damage.

The only thing I really have trouble with are mirror matches and Mega Gengar matches, which is why I'm now running 1X1 Mega Gengar in my Mega Mewtwo deck.

On a couple of occasions Hoopa has gotten in my way, with people Lysandring it and having that slow me down to the point that it let them get up their own Mega Mewtwo or Mega Gengar. Also, watch out for Mega Gengar using Hoopa's attack.

I have 2 Switch and 1 AZ to try and deal with Hoopa, but despite that on a few occasions I wasn't able to get those when needed.

So for me the thing that I don't like about the deck are that 1) Hoopa is a liability, 2) I often fill my bench with 1 Hoopa and 2 Shaymin leaving not much room for anything else, 3) Once I've gotten my Shaymin and Hoopa out on turns 1 & 2, the deck stalls and its a struggle to field backup attackers.

Having said that, because Mega Mewtwo is so strong and so fast, these problems often don't matter, but more and more they do matter because people are coming up with better counters and there are more mirror matches.

At first just coming out with 1 Mega Mewtwo on turn 2 was enough to win a game. You could just bust out Mega Mewtwo and steam roll everything. That's not the case anymore, so just getting turn 2 Mega Mewtwo isn't enough. So that's what I'm trying to work on now, trying to find way to run Mega Mewtwo X that is more sustainable past turn 2/3, etc.

Edited by rgp151

-Tbh i rarely find any problem setting at least 1 Mega Blue turn 2, and they hit so hard it's ridiculous, i have no idea why they get much hate !! And yes I might add 1 Shrine to my deck tbh

-Hoopa & Shaymin are liabilities but are also great help

-My biggest problems with this deck is tbh Dead hands and Lysandring my Shaymin, other than that it rips through almost every deck !

00dragonite00

I run 1 Mystery Energy for Hoopa. You only need to play him once btw. Once you use AZ on him, you don't need to play him back onto the bench.

I run Volcarona, and find more consistency there compared to Landorus. With Larvesta and Wally, I can get Mewtwo out with 2 Energy on turn 1. I can get another Mewtwo with 2 Energy on turn 2, and the third Mewtwo with 2 Energy on turn 3. Volcarona may or may not be dead by then (probably though). Then, I ultra my Hoopa for up to 3 M Mewtwos, and if lucky with the Spirit Links, will have most of them evolved w/o using up the turn.

Because of Volcarona, I can use my Battle Compressors on my supporters, rather than energy like I would need to with Landorus.

What kind of Volcorna setup do use you? 4 Larvesta + 4 Wally + 2 Volcorna? The problem I have with that setup is that it works great when you actually start with Larvesta and get a Wally, but if you don't then it sucks. I'm thinking of maybe running 2 Larvesta + 1 Wally + 2 Volcorna and using Volcorna more as a way to add new attackers to the bench after a traditional start. But I dunno...

I run 1 Mystery Energy for Hoopa. You only need to play him once btw. Once you use AZ on him, you don't need to play him back onto the bench.

I run Volcarona, and find more consistency there compared to Landorus. With Larvesta and Wally, I can get Mewtwo out with 2 Energy on turn 1. I can get another Mewtwo with 2 Energy on turn 2, and the third Mewtwo with 2 Energy on turn 3. Volcarona may or may not be dead by then (probably though). Then, I ultra my Hoopa for up to 3 M Mewtwos, and if lucky with the Spirit Links, will have most of them evolved w/o using up the turn.

Because of Volcarona, I can use my Battle Compressors on my supporters, rather than energy like I would need to with Landorus.

Yes Az or mystery energy can help dealing with Hoopa-ex but tbh, seeing it Ko'd is better than adding 2  more cards :P since u only generally use that once.

And Yes this deck started with Volcarona, but i found that getting it out can be pretty slow, and Landorus does a perfect job  by itself especially since it's a basic, well these are deck variants anyways

royalebouquet

I went to the league with my deck and my god what is shrine of memories powerful!! Everybody agreed with me that shrine of memories is so good, its worth running 3 of next to 3 dimension valley for sure. Its just to get them fast and I often use at least 1 dimension valley and 1 shrine of memories for ultra ball and thats fine.

I'm going to remove Smeargle from my deck, since I agree with some that its not needed. Also I'm going to remove Korrina for the 4th Birch Observations. The 2 Smeargle might become 2 Shauna to really prevent that dead hand situation as much as I can. 

But other then that, my deck did great. Mega Sceptile and Yveltal did not stand a change against Bluetwo! :)

Edited by royalebouquet

I went to the league with my deck and my god what is shrine of memories powerful!! Everybody agreed with me that shrine of memories is so good, its worth running 3 of next to 3 dimension valley for sure. Its just to get them fast and I often use at least 1 dimension valley and 1 shrine of memories for ultra ball and thats fine.

I'm going to remove Smeargle from my deck, since I agree with some that its not needed. Also I'm going to remove Korrina for the 4th Birch Observations. The 2 Smeargle might become 2 Shauna to really prevent that dead hand situation as much as I can. 

But other then that, my deck did great. Mega Sceptile and Yveltal did not stand a change against Bluetwo! :)

Oh congrats, so you actually use it irl ???? nice

I always loved this deck, and i was planning to use it (online) even before the set came out, and i have no idea why M Bluetwo is so cheap, I stand by claim that it's BETTER than M Redtwo !

Honestly, IMO, the best thing about Redtwo is that its easier to use Damage Swap, and that's about it, but in order to use Damage Swap on Redtwo you have to give up using either Metal or Fairy, so its not without sacrifice.

But yeah I don't really see why anyone thinks that Redtwo is better than Bluetwo. It seems clear that Bluetwo is way better IMO.

As for the Shrines, I just use 4 Dimension Valley and 1 SOM. I could see maybe doing 4&2, but I wouldn't do 3&3, because its just too important to have Dimension Valley on turn 2 IMO.

Also, Bluetwo obviously stomps on most decks, but it can have its challenges and that where the fine tuning really matters. 

Energy disruption decks can be problematic, which is why having Smeargle and Dimension Valley are important, but I still only run 1 Smeargle. 

Other Mega decks can be a challenge since you can't easily hit over 200. Fast Primal Groudon decks are hard, and Mega Rayquaza can be challenge, tough he's typically easier. 

For me the hardest matchup is Mega Gengar since he can OHKO Mega Bluetwo for 2 energy, but Mega Bluetwo can't necessarily OHKO him (unless you use Giovanni's Scheme). 

Also the mirror match is hard and a place where the fine tuning is very important. Night March is also quite a challenge, the odds are probably against you vs Night March.

But basically, Bluetwo can easily beat any deck except those that I just mentioned. 

But the thing is, Redtwo doesn't really have any easier time with most of those decks either, except Primal Groudon. 

Edited by rgp151

Yes i've had issues with Energy Disruption And Night March and i haven't faced Gengar decks yet, but other than that it's a pretty capable deck imo and i love using it !

royalebouquet

Yeah, well I'm staying with 3 dimension valley and 3 shrines hahaha. I believe in it and I guess thats the most important thing. Just won again 3 matches because of Shrine of Memories, so no way I would drop it to 2 :P But thats just me :P

Yeah Night March is pretty unbeatable but thats the deal with every deck that it has at least one bad matchup.

I have made the choice that I will take this deck to 3 league challenges in January and to every League training this December. Make some final changes. Maybe even go to city's, but not sure that fits my busy life, cause of work :)

Will keep you posted :P