XY9: BREAKThrough Best Cards Review

ChawkyV

Top 20 cards from XY8: BREAKThrough

I'll be doing some card and set reviews every now and then from now on, The first one is a review of the Top 20 cards from XY8: BREAKThrough, and here it is:

Special Mentions: First Here are some Good cards, Just ... not good enough:

-Houndoom EX: Will be played mostly in Mill decks but is still outclassed by Bunnelby from Primal Clash but at least it has more HP.

-Mega Glalie EX: It might seem Great at first, but considering how hard it will be to put 100 damage on it and still be able to attack with it more than one or two times, it is just very risky.

-Raichu BREAK: This will be very good with Magnezone and Energy Retrieval, and damage output is pretty high as well.

-Raichu: Since most decks nowadays have a lot of EXs in them, this card will see a lot of play since its first attack damages every EX, but it is still inferior to Raichu from XY base.

-Octillery: Very similar to the very popular Shaymin EX except it draws 1 less card, which is a letdown but of course they wouldn't make it so broken since it has almost the same HP and your opponent only takes 1 card after KOing it. but it can be considered "a poor man's shaymin"

-Raikou: A Lightning Version of Keldeo EX without the Rush In ability, Still a decent starting pokémon, i'm sure we can see some Magnezone/Raikou decks about.

-Xerneas: If used with Florges and Florges BREAK it can be very deadly, with a max damage output of 160 without counting Muscle Band for a low cost and that is very good for a non EX.

-Dodrio: With an ability similar to Dodrio from Undaunted expansion, this card can be very useful in High retreat cost decks.

-Bridgette: As a player who uses Pokemon Fan Club in almost each deck, I find this card to be very good, it is similar to Pokemon Collector from HGSS expansion, but it is only good in non-EX heavy decks. This will be a must in Bat decks for example.

Giovanni's Scheme: One of two cards that have 2 different effects, Drawing until you have 5 cards might not seem like much but still playable, but the second effect that adds 20 damage to each attack this turn can be very useful, there are so decisive match winning attacks that fell 20 damage short from winning !

Fisherman: A reprint of Fisherman from HGSS expansion, replacing Superior Energy Retrieval a card that is seeing a lot of play recently, and without the discarding cost, can be very useful with Magnezone decks.

And now the the Top 20 cards:

20-Mega Houndoom EX: Doing a Max of 160 damage is pretty decent, especially with Burning Energy.

19-Judge: A reprint of Judge from Unleashed Expansion, Basically it's a mini N, it can disrupt your opponent's hand, N was always considered to be one of the best draw supporters and since it rotated out of Standard, this can be a decent replacement.

18-Noivern BREAK: This card by itself is decent, but if it will be used with Noivern from Furious Fists, it can be very annoying to take down because of its ability, and the attack is very good as well with a max damage output of 150 without counting tools.

17-Parallel City: The second card with two effects in this set, Should be a meta changing card, since it can basically erase or at least decrease greatly the number of bench decks like Mega Rayquaza and Raichu decks, but since Stadiums are not very hard to remove from the field, it's not all that "Meta-changing".

16-Mewtwo EX 62/162: While the other Mewtwo EX was straight up horrible this one does have a very interesting attack, Damage Change lets you switch all damage on it with your opponent's active pokemon, it can see a lot of use with both Dusknoir from Boundaries Crossed and Reuniclus from Black & White !

15-Glalie EX: personally i think this is better than its mega, because it can easily hit for 150 damage without having to put any damage counters on it !

14-Piloswine: one of the most Innovative and original non EX cards ever made in my opinion, its attack Gathering Footsteps does more damage the more retreat cost your Swinub, Piloswine, Mamoswine have, using it with seemingly negative cards like Team Aqua's Muk and Team Aqua's Secret Base and with cards like Fighting Stadium and Strong Energy, the damage output from this card can be incredibly high !

13-Gengar: Like Piloswine, a very original card, it can KO any pokemon with any HP simply if it has 30 damage on it, this can exploited to a maximum with Bats, Noivern or Kyurem EX, Gengar always got cool cards :)

12-Magnezone: Basically a Blastoise for Lightning types, a very useful card with Raichu BREAK or Raikou, but it is still slow to set since it's a Stage 2 and there is no Supporter like Archie's Ace in the Hole or Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick to accelerate it.

11-Empoleon:  Adding 20 more damage to basic pokemon might not seem much but with Empoleon being easy to summon thanks to Battle Compressor and Archie's Ace in the Hole that won't be a problem, the most obvious use for ti would be with the infamous Seismitoad EX, that can easily hit for 90 damage while denying Items from being used each turn, This card can make Seismitoad EX decks a deadly threat again.

10-Gallade: Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick can make summoing this card a breeze, with a simple Double Colorless Energy this card can do 130 damage which is very good for a non EX card since most players use supporters each turn, and that is without counting Muscle Bands, Fighting Stadiums and Strong Enegy, Maxie's Gallade decks can be very big.

9- Marowak BREAK: this card might not be very popular but people don't realise how good it really is, being a fighting type it benefits again from Muscle Bands, Fighting Stadiums, Korrina and Strong Enegy, and since it is best used when your opponent is in the lead it can be a great finisher, because the most prize cards taken by your opponent the more damage it does.

8  Zoroark BREAK: This card might be outclassed by the regular Zoroark but still let's not forget how good Zoroark from Black & White was with its Foul Play Attack, which is this card's attack only cheaper and with more HP !

7- Smeargle: This card might not seem like much but it can revolutionize so many decks with its incredible ability like Mega Tyranitar decks and Ho-oh EX/Huntail decks, with it you don't have to worry about the type of basic energy you play !!

6- Float Stone: a reprint of Float Stone from Plasma Freeze, a very very popular card that saw a lot of play, and Like Skyla, rotated out of Standard 2 months ago, but now it is back and will be used like before, and now we'll see the Keldeo EX/Float Stone combo again but With Zoroark this time !

5- Zoroark: a worthy replacement for Keldeo EX from Boundaries Crossed and it also has a very good attack, it even outclassed its BREAK evolution, this card will see a lot of play i'm positive.

4- Skyla: a reprint of Skyla from Boundaries Crossed, this card has always been a favourite, being able to get any trainer card is a very good thing, and this reprint will let players use Skyla in Standard again after 2 months of absence !

3- Burning Energy: Probably the best Special Energy released along with Strong Enegy, Double Dragon Energy and of course Double Colorless Energy, after the dissapointing Special energies released in the recent sets, this was a relief, it will be a must in every Fire deck, this card will make Fire decks finally viable since we see almost none being used and since most fire types tend to discard Energies to attack,

2- Mega Mewtwo EX X: This Mega Mewtwo might be slow but With Volcarona from Ancient Origins, it can easily be set in 2 turns, and it is worth being slow in my opinion, since it hits for 200 if there is a stadium card, and negates all effects, a perfect counter for Regice and Giratina-EX who are considered the biggest threat for Megas in Standard.

1- Mega Mewtwo EX Y: The Ultimate card from this set, it might have a bad side effect of negating weakness but that still won't stop it from being a MONSTER, It is literally Next Destinies Mewtwo-EX gone berserk  :)

Anyways, this is my top 20 cards from BREAKThrough, of course after actually using the cards it might change!

Thank you and I hope you liked it.

PS: I'm sorry for not including links to all cards from the new set but most of them aren't in the official site yet.

Edited by ChawkyV

Nice write-up, especially due to your effort linking anything, so that new players can check out the unknown cards. While I personally would have loved to see more context on the different cards ( you usually only evaluate them in the vacuum, without regards of the meta game and so forth and your evaluation is lacklustre to say the least), I still think that this is a neat guide for new players.

Personal Top 5 Pokemon:

5 Yveltal / Zoroark

4 Xerneas

3 Florges

2 M-Mewtwo

1 Gallade

Nice write-up, especially due to your effort linking anything, so that new players can check out the unknown cards. While I personally would have loved to see more context on the different cards ( you usually only evaluate them in the vacuum, without regards of the meta game and so forth and your evaluation is lacklustre to say the least), I still think that this is a neat guide for new players.

Personal Top 5 Pokemon:

5 Yveltal / Zoroark

4 Xerneas

3 Florges

2 M-Mewtwo

1 Gallade

Thank you for your input, I will try to make it better and more in-depth next time, this is my first time doing something like this, that's why it'l lacking a bit

Mega Galie is just dumb. 210 HP and needs 100 damage to do 250.

But you can use Machamp -EX with Heavy Boot to have 200 HP (with no self confusion) to do 200 damage for 2 energy instead of 3 with that same 100 damage, or 160 for 3 energy without any damage on you, and if you have only 90 damage on Machamp-EX you can do 180 straight up.

Yeah, IMO Machamp-EX + Heavy Boot > Mega Galie. Plus with Machamp-EX you can use Focus Sash, which is just massive.

Also, I think Vanishing Strike Mewtwo is way better than Psychic Infinity Mewtwo.

First of all, setting up Vanishing Strike is not hard at all, and you don't need Volcorna. Since we have Mega Turbo, pretty much all you really need is Mega Turbo.

I'd probably play it with Landorus, Mega Turbo, Battle Compressors, and Dimension Valley. All you need to do is attack a single energy, Mega Turbo one from the discard and Landorus one from the discard and play Dimension Valley and you are ready to go turn 2 without Volcorna and that's not very hard.

Honestly, this card is OP. Psychic Infinity isn't quite as good as it seems when compared to Yveltal.

#1 You aren't going to use a Muscle Band with Mega Mewtwo, so that's a loss of 20 damage.

#2 Yveltal has a base of 20 damage #3 Yveltal has Y-Cyclone This means that with 2 energy and a Muscle Band Yveltal is doing 20+20+20+20 = 60.

With 2 energy Mewtwo is hitting for 30+30, so that's close, but obviously Mewtwo scales better.

Lets say you have 5 energies between you, pretty typical.

5*30 = 150 for Mega Mewtwo

40+(5*20) = 140 for Yveltal

So for 5 energies, Mega Mewtwo is only doing 10 more damage.

That's not that great. Let's say you have 7 energies between you.

7*30 = 210 for Mega Mewtwo

40+(7*20) = 180 for Yveltal

Yeah, Mega Mewtwo is pulling away at that point, but 7 is a lot of energies and a bigger investment.

I'm not saying that Mega Mewtwo is bad, just that, really she's not THAT much better than Yveltal. Probably the best thing about her is that Psychic weakness is better to hit for than Darkness weakness.

I think that Vanishing Strike Mewtwo is way better. She can hit for 200 for only 3 energies, and she hits through everything. A simple Regice can disrupt Psychic Infinity.

Edited by rgp151

But you can use Machamp -EX with Heavy Boot to have 200 HP (with no self confusion) to do 200 damage for 2 energy instead of 3 with that same 100 damage, or 160 for 3 energy without any damage on you, and if you have only 90 damage on Machamp-EX you can do 180 straight up.

Yeah, IMO Machamp-EX + Heavy Boot > Mega Galie. Plus with Machamp-EX you can use Focus Sash, which is just massive.

Also, I think Vanishing Strike Mewtwo is way better than Psychic Infinity Mewtwo.

First of all, setting up Vanishing Strike is not hard at all, and you don't need Volcorna. Since we have Mega Turbo, pretty much all you really need is Mega Turbo.

I'd probably play it with Landorus, Mega Turbo, Battle Compressors, and Dimension Valley. All you need to do is attack a single energy, Mega Turbo one from the discard and Landorus one from the discard and play Dimension Valley and you are ready to go turn 2 without Volcorna and that's not very hard.

Honestly, this card is OP. Psychic Infinity isn't quite as good as it seems when compared to Yveltal.

#1 You aren't going to use a Muscle Band with Mega Mewtwo, so that's a loss of 20 damage.

#2 Yveltal has a base of 20 damage #3 Yveltal has Y-Cyclone This means that with 2 energy and a Muscle Band Yveltal is doing 20+20+20+20 = 60.

With 2 energy Mewtwo is hitting for 30+30, so that's close, but obviously Mewtwo scales better.

Yeah, Mega Mewtwo is pulling away at that point, but 7 is a lot of energies and a bigger investment.

I'm not saying that Mega Mewtwo is bad, just that, really she's not THAT much better than Yveltal. Probably the best thing about her is that Psychic weakness is better to hit for than Darkness weakness.

I think that Vanishing Strike Mewtwo is way better. She can hit for 200 for only 3 energies, and she hits through everything. A simple Regice can disrupt Psychic Infinity.

I totally agree, I was thinking of ways to make M Glalie better but just couldn't it's not good a all. I did pull an FA Glalie EX from a pack so im looking forward to making a fun deck with Judge.

And the M Mewtwo, I was thinking the same! M Mewtwo X is pretty OP if you think about it, sure Primal Groudon has Strong Energy etc but if you think about it M Mewtwo X can knock out any basic non EX INCLUDING Safeguard/Regice without discarding a stadium and with a Stadium its knocking out every non Mega non Wailord EX. I would've loved to pull it from a set since M Mewtwo X is personally, my choice over Y.

Machamp-ex is also bad, and yes I really don't like Mega Glalie , too much risk. I think Glalie-EX is far more superior. but people seem to like Mega Glalie more for some reason.

And I personally prefer Mega Mewtwo X, it just seems more efficient vs Giratinas and Regice especially and Guaranteed 150-200 each time, but again almost everyone else disagrees with this, M Mewtwo Y is good but has some setbacks.

Fisherman is a brilliant card.

and someone else clocked heavy boots + machamp ex combo :lol:

Fisherman is a reprint from HGSS, and it was reprinted especially for Magnezone using decks and even Archie's Blastoise decks in expanded !

As for Machamp-ex, i've never been a fan ...

Edited by ChawkyV

How about Mega Glalie + Roaring Seas + Assault Vest + Magnezone + Pokemon Centers/Super Potions

Basically, prevent Mega Glalie from getting OHKO'd, heal it up to 120 hp, then supply its energy with Magnezone. It's still not great, but I think it's got some viability. Or you could heal it up as much as you can, then just drop 100 damage per attack.

M Glalie would be much better if it was 150 base damage, and an extra 100 with 10 damage counters.

Edit: realized that you'd either need to xerosic the spirit link for assault vest, or not use a spirit link at all.

Edited by 00dragonite00

Riachu with Wide Lens is going to be really deadly. With Wide Lense he's be hitting all Shaymin for 100 damage on the bench, so all you need is something like Fortress + Riachu + Wide Lense to OHKO all Shaymin. Another thing would simply be a Raichu / Bats deck. 

You could also due Riachu + Pischatsu (or however you spell it) + Wide Lense + Bats. That way, you can also always hit your active for Lightening Weakness too if the active is an EX.

Or maybe just Riachu Eeveeluations + Wide Lense + a 2X2 line of Fortess or something, or maybe even Team Aqua's Secret base (but would only work well if you went first).

But yeah, Riachu + Wide Lens is going to be pretty deadly.

How about Mega Glalie + Roaring Seas + Assault Vest + Magnezone + Pokemon Centers/Super Potions

Basically, prevent Mega Glalie from getting OHKO'd, heal it up to 120 hp, then supply its energy with Magnezone. It's still not great, but I think it's got some viability. Or you could heal it up as much as you can, then just drop 100 damage per attack.

M Glalie would be much better if it was 150 base damage, and an extra 100 with 10 damage counters.

Edit: realized that you'd either need to xerosic the spirit link for assault vest, or not use a spirit link at all.

What's the point of putting the damage counters on it and healing it again ?? toooo much trouble and can be outclassed my most Water Megas, and yes if the base damage from the Attack was 150 , it woul be much much better.

Riachu with Wide Lens is going to be really deadly. With Wide Lense he's be hitting all Shaymin for 100 damage on the bench, so all you need is something like Fortress + Riachu + Wide Lense to OHKO all Shaymin. Another thing would simply be a Raichu / Bats deck. 

You could also due Riachu + Pischatsu (or however you spell it) + Wide Lense + Bats. That way, you can also always hit your active for Lightening Weakness too if the active is an EX.

Or maybe just Riachu Eeveeluations + Wide Lense + a 2X2 line of Fortess or something, or maybe even Team Aqua's Secret base (but would only work well if you went first).

But yeah, Riachu + Wide Lens is going to be pretty deadly.

That would be really good, especially if VS Full EX deck, it would destroy Col Ray decks omg

And btw what is pischatsu ? u mean Pichu ?

I was trying to say Pachirisu: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy4/25/

I'm thinking that Raichu Eeveelutions with 2 of the Circle Circuit Raichu and 2 of the new one will be very deadly.

With Wide Lens if you can hit for weakness, you could theoretically take all 6 prizes in 2 attacks against a deck with at least 3 EXs that have weakness.

Yveltal, Lugia, Shaymin, Rayquaza for starters. With Flareon you can add in Sceptile. With Vaporeon on can add in Houndoom and Camerupt. And many Mega Rayquaza decks are going to have to give up Altaria for Ninetails. 

Yup, Zoroark is the thing for me.

Raichu is awesome, the Thunderclap thing is great fun and the second attack deals a fair bit of damage, muscle band and a lucky flip make it 110, pretty decent.  Haven't got a break but that's exciting.

Zoroark is easy to evolve, has the stand in ability and float stone is back, it can fit in any deck since the Mind Jack attack is two colourless, totally doable (and hits pretty good).  Been trying Gengar, it's fun but I haven't got it to work consistently.

The too (two) mewtwo are amazing looking, the secret rare versions certainly don't disappoint. 

Raichu is fun when you Lysandre a pokemon immune to the first attack and trap it in the active spot while you fry all the expensive cards stuck on the bench.

Edited by fr33land

I was trying to say Pachirisu: http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy4/25/

I'm thinking that Raichu Eeveelutions with 2 of the Circle Circuit Raichu and 2 of the new one will be very deadly.

With Wide Lens if you can hit for weakness, you could theoretically take all 6 prizes in 2 attacks against a deck with at least 3 EXs that have weakness.

Yveltal, Lugia, Shaymin, Rayquaza for starters. With Flareon you can add in Sceptile. With Vaporeon on can add in Houndoom and Camerupt. And many Mega Rayquaza decks are going to have to give up Altaria for Ninetails. 

You have a good point, never thought much of raichu till now tbh, I used XY raichu, but your idea make him sound even better !

Seaking has potential

Not much of it tbh, a max of 90 if you heal isn't really much of an attack when you have 90 HP

Yup, Zoroark is the thing for me.

Raichu is awesome, the Thunderclap thing is great fun and the second attack deals a fair bit of damage, muscle band and a lucky flip make it 110, pretty decent.  Haven't got a break but that's exciting.

Zoroark is easy to evolve, has the stand in ability and float stone is back, it can fit in any deck since the Mind Jack attack is two colourless, totally doable (and hits pretty good).  Been trying Gengar, it's fun but I haven't got it to work consistently.

The too (two) mewtwo are amazing looking, the secret rare versions certainly don't disappoint. 

Raichu is fun when you Lysandre a pokemon immune to the first attack and trap it in the active spot while you fry all the expensive cards stuck on the bench.

Yes I agree on Zoroark being one of the best cards of XY8, and I haven't tried gengar yet but i heard it was really good

It's really fun, I haven't figured who to partner Gengar with.  All psychic wouldn't be bad, there's a lot of attackers that can dish out the required 30 damage for very low energy costs.  I tried Noivern FUF, it's hard.  Gengar has free retreat, which is handy.  Raichu has that spread damage across EXs that might set up Gengar and free retreat also, which might help for getting Creep Show going.  Think I might try that, but against Vespiquen and Night March which run without EXs, I dunno.  The two competing stadiums might stink also (Rough Seas and Dimension Valley).

Right now Thundurus EX / Raichu / Zapdos seems to be doing pretty well, not sure why(?)

There are a few thoughts on Gengar.

Stadium choices:

1) Dimension Valley > reduce attack cost by *

2) Team Magma Secret base > Put 2 damage counters on all pokemon when they come into play 

3) Faded Town > 4 Damage counters on all Megas between turns

Given that Megas are getting more popular, one could certainly argue for Faded Town.

Team Magma's Secret Base is good, I used it with Mega Tyranatar, but you have the issue of getting it out in time and sometimes people have a lot of their bench down by the time you get it out. 

I think a lot depends on who the other attackers are, and how you plan to use Gengar. Is Gengar going to be the star of the show, or is Gengar going to be a tech pokemon that you can use to mop up?

The Gourgeist that puts 2 damage counters on everyone seems like a good option, but also Trevenent, because the 2 bench attacks for 20 each can be used to prep targets for Gengar too.

There are really a lot of options. If I were going with Trevenent I'd probably use Dimension Valley. 

The nice thing about doing something like Faded Town/Bats, however would be that faded Town would free up your bats to target other pokemon since the stadium would automatically take care of the Megas. 

Yeah, lots of options...

My deck gengar/ gengar ex has working god i winner 3 tournaments in sequence, the problem is deck without ex pokemons, vespiquen and nightmarch has advantage

Edited by shadows797

Yes, you need a reliable 60-90 damage attacker, I have been using Deoxys as a way both the deal 30 damage and as an attacker against those decks, but they get knocked quickly, I was thinking Gallade EX, to deal 30 and switch opponent or 1 energy mewtwo EX (damage change one) but a Xerosic is nice to have against those decks, you can VS Seeker it and hopefully get rid of a couple DCE, that usually hurts them a lot.

Gallade ex is dangerous nigthmarch hit kill him easyli, deoxys need two turn, gallade need 3 cards too (gallade, gallade ex and spirit link and 3 energis) my deck has 8 energy only. I think miltank is a solution

you forget water has a healing stadium and seaking needs ONE energy card.

all you need is to get poisoned once with the stadium.. and it wont be easy to remove.

like the new cressalia as well.

I figured Gallade EX, no Mega only needs one psychic with Dimension Valley.

Yeah, I see now seaking, one colourless 40 damage.

But on another note, 90 damage for one energy and rough seas.

Gengar EX, I can see how it works,  definitely.  Either Night Attack or Dark Corridor would work.

You definitely need a lot of counter stadiums in case of Rough Seas, which I imagine will be super popular, M Manectric and Regice is a pretty common deck now.

I'm not sure Gengar is so competitive but it is cool.

Anyhow, this has strayed very far from Noivern.

What other supporters now make hand sizes equal, Judge, Hugh and Battle Reporter if one were so inclined to make a go at Noivern Break, but I'm not convinced you need a supporter to specifically do that, just like 'Tuning' on the new Noivern is pretty useless.