What are the best current standard decks?

Pika36521

Hello. I stopped playing for some months, a little before Ancient Origins release, and gave away all my stuff, a lot of which is now expanded stuff. Anyways what i wanna say is that i missed the rotation and never played standard again so i'm wondering which are the best decks i'm gonna find and whats the best counter option, or maybe i rather build one of the best out there.

I'm aware M.manectric/regice and P.groudon/wobbuffet are good competitors.

Edited by Cuqk

In no particular rankings of popularity:

Manectric + friends

Girantina + fairies

Vespiqueen

Night March

Mienshao

Vileplume + friends

Primal Groudon

Gengar EX + Trevenant

Raichu + Bats

Toad + friends

However, given that the new set is about to be released, you are better off waiting a couple of weeks, to see how the meta game will shift with the new cards.

Whoops, almost forgot about good old Rayquaza.

Personally I haven't seen the deck for quite some time now, but its def. viable, just not as good as it used to be, due to Manectric, Jolteon, a good amount of stadiums, Hex Maniac to go aorund Altaria, non-EX decks and so fort.

With the return of FLoat Stone and pseudo Keldeo in the new set, Metal Rayquaza could have a small comeback though.

Manectric + friends

Girantina + fairies

Vespiqueen

Night March

Mienshao

Vileplume + friends

Primal Groudon

Gengar EX + Trevenant

Raichu + Bats

Toad + friends

However, given that the new set is about to be released, you are better off waiting a couple of weeks, to see how the meta game will shift with the new cards.

Well there are also a few more great standard decks:

Lucario/Machamp fuf

Yveltal n friends

Dragon m Ray

and even Miltank/Delphox as a cheap but good deck

Well there are also a few more great standard decks:

Lucario/Machamp fuf

Yveltal n friends

Dragon m Ray

and even Miltank/Delphox as a cheap but good deck

Good point, though given that we are looking for the "best" decks, I wouldn't really include any of those. Good decks and fun to play for sure, but not really on top of the food chain.

Manectric + friends

Girantina + fairies

Vespiqueen

Night March

Mienshao

Vileplume + friends

Primal Groudon

Gengar EX + Trevenant

Raichu + Bats

Toad + friends

Tbh theres a lot less of Primal Groudon now. Other than that, you pretty much covered everything else.

Lots of Crobat + Seismitoad or Manectric or Lucario or Wobbuffet.

Lots of Giratina + Toad or Fairies

Manectric + Regice

Barrage Medicham

Those are the combo's you've missed.

From my experience at the highest levels of AOR Standard, in as close as I can get to a "best-to-worst" list (at least in the tiers I've sorted), but with all listed being strong competitors, here is my tier list:

Night March/Milotic

Seismitoad/Giratina

---(I personally feel these are the two strongest decks in AOR Standard)---

Speed Rayquaza (I used this to great success this set, my list is in the forums)

Manectric/Regice
Giratina/Aromatisse (Probably the most solid Giratina-centric deck in all of Standard)

---(I feel like this is the cut-off for highly competitive decks)---

Various Crobat decks (Seismitoad, Lucario/Hawlucha, Manectric, Raichu, and Wobbuffet being the best choices, I would rate them all at the same level in any sort of tier list, consistent enough in the long game to handle most matchups when piloted by a skilled player, but sure to fall short with a minimal amount of misplays)

---(Anything below this point is still competitive, but not strong enough IMO to carry consistent tournament wins on their backs. Departing from power-based sorting, anything below this line will be in alphabetical order)---

Dragon Rayquaza (There are a few things keeping this from being really, really strong. Colorless Ray is one of those things)

Gengar/Trevenant (This is only currently below the cutoff until BREAKthrough is legal, Float Stone is what this deck is missing in Standard)

Metal (with either Rayquaza or Giratina, neither version is as strong as the aforementioned iterations of Ray and Tina though)
Mienshao (This deck is single-handedly responsible for the amount of Megaphone in the meta)

Metal (with either Rayquaza or Giratina, neither version as strong as the aforementioned iterations of Ray and Tina)

Primal Groudon (Wobbuffet keeps this deck relevant right now, but Ray being able to bring in a one-shot before evolution, or even dropping the counter 240 the turn after promoting, keeps it lower on the list. Also, 11 Pokemon to one-shot with Vespiquen isn't exactly difficult)

Vespiquen (Night March and Eeveelutions are both great partners, I just feel like this deck is heavily inferior to Night March/Milotic, and thus is not a viable choice for high-end competition, due mostly in part to the loss of Flareon PLF and Life Dew)
Vileplume variants (The loss of Mewtwo, Pokemon Communication, and some of the best Supporters the game has ever seen has seriously affected this deck's competitive strength, IMO)

Yveltal (Baby and EX are still a couple of the best Pokemon in Standard, but they don't have a strong partner to pair with them to diversify and not get one-shot by a Joltik with 4 Marchers in the discard. I believe that Zoroark BT will bring this deck higher up in the list)

This is how I feel after nearly 800 games in the XY-AOR format. BT will surely shake things up a little bit, but most things on this list should stay competitive, if not improve with the set's release.

Edited by DonbranFL

Good point, though given that we are looking for the "best" decks, I wouldn't really include any of those. Good decks and fun to play for sure, but not really on top of the food chain.

I'm more than sure that Lucario/Machamp is better than Lets say Mienshao deck is every aspect !

And I had a lot of trouble with Fast Dragon ray decks

I'm more than sure that Lucario/Machamp is better than Lets say Mienshao deck is every aspect !

And I had a lot of trouble with Fast Dragon ray decks

You say that, but there hasn't been a single Lucario / Machamp deck that's been able to win a Locals within the US yet, whereas Mienshao has won several. (Note: I may be slightly behind as it's not been updated for this week)

You say that, but there hasn't been a single Lucario / Machamp deck that's been able to win a Locals within the US yet, whereas Mienshao has won several. (Note: I may be slightly behind as it's not been updated for this week)

tbh i was talking from my personal PTCGO experience, Lucario/Machamp is very good ...

And Mienshao actually won ??? it just doesn't seem that strong !

PS: my first post as a Senior Trainer ... yay

Edited by ChawkyV

tbh i was talking from my personal PTCGO experience, Lucario/Machamp is very good ...

Ho-hoo!! You achieved Senior Trainer, congratulations :P

That aside, I'm not saying that it's not a good deck, I'm just saying no one has actually won a locals yet with it. Normally, within a format, you'll see the most popular / best decks winning several locals over the course of the year. That particular deck has yet to crop up.

Also, the reason why Mienshao is so good is that he's very similar to Accelgor, in that he can just attack and then bounce away to safety.

Edited by PWAeolian

Are you referring to Lucario with the Machamp that evolves? Because Bats are just plain better.

Mienshao is one of the most competitive fighting decks. If you don't lock out its Focus Sashes, or get timely tool removal, you stand a good chance of losing.

Edited by DonbranFL

Ho-hoo!! You achieved Senior Trainer, congratulations :P

That aside, I'm not saying that it's not a good deck, I'm just saying no one has actually won a locals yet with it. Normally, within a format, you'll see the most popular / best decks winning several locals over the course of the year. That particular deck has yet to crop up.

Also, the reason why Mienshao is so good is that he's very similar to Accelgor, in that he can just attack and then bounce away to safety.

Are you referring to Lucario with the Machamp that evolves? Because Bats are just plain better.

Mienshao is one of the most competitive fighting decks. If you don't lock out its Focus Sashes, or get timely tool removal, you stand a good chance of losing.

Yes lucario/fuf machamp is pretty good in ptcgo

I have to try mienshao now !! And i think it's more similar to Donphan than Accelgor

A lot of decks that aren't competitive in high tiers are good in PTCGO due to the average skillset and cardpool of the playerbase. I would say that Lucario/Hawlucha/Bats is the premium fighting deck of the format, with Mienshao not far behind. Mienshao is just really grindy for both players and not a whole lot of fun.

• Upvote 1

Mienshao is just really grindy for both players and not a whole lot of fun.

Well that depends on your own preferance :P, though the deck might be more appealing to me, considering I played a good amount of Sandbag, aka Wailord EX :D.

I do apologize, i ddin't know what iw as talking about, and I take back what i said about Lucario/machamp being better than Mienshao

Mienshao decks are really good, Focus Sash is what makes them that good thou !

• Upvote 1

I do apologize, i ddin't know what iw as talking about, and I take back what i said about Lucario/machamp being better than Mienshao

Mienshao decks are really good, Focus Sash is what makes them that good thou !

I know right! Focus Sash is ridiculous with Mienshao decks. Those little foxes just don't get knocked out, and it can be very frustrating. The downside to the deck though is that, if you're not using many EX's, it can take a long time for the Mienshao user to win. Metagross decks have shown to be quite the challenge.

I know right! Focus Sash is ridiculous with Mienshao decks. Those little foxes just don't get knocked out, and it can be very frustrating. The downside to the deck though is that, if you're not using many EX's, it can take a long time for the Mienshao user to win. Metagross decks have shown to be quite the challenge.

Ikr !! i just started using it

And Xerosic and even Megaphone and Red Card can hurt this deck, but overall it's very fun to play !!

• Upvote 1

There is no point to play L/Machamp if you can play M Rayquaza that can knock out 240 hp pokemon on turn 1 going second, feel the difference.

BTW there is reason to play Mienshao as it has potential to be extremely annoying in right hands, on paper you need to remove 4 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 focus sashes, 4 robo sub and 6 pokemons, but most of the people playing it really fast which leads to horrible mistakes, think bro.

Edited by EvolvedJanitor

This Mienshao deck reminds me more accelgor, but with the advantage the cards remain in your hand after attacking, and N has been rotated out. There's still red card, but how many players run it...? Oh and xerosic and megaphone of course. Still it doesn't seem that fun to play, mostly because you have to be patient...and your opponent as well.

Now i might be interested in building one of these manectric/regice decks. It seems the right type, plus energy acceleration and ex-counter. But i dont know anything else about it... are there any lists to start from? What's manectric and mega ratting? 16 pack for 2-2 lines?

Or maybe i just wait on the BT release to see the meta upgrades on decks, but still i need a competitive standard deck. I'm only runing vespiquen and golurk as standard now.

Edited by Cuqk

There is no point to play L/Machamp if you can play M Rayquaza that can knock out 240 hp pokemon on turn 1 going second, feel the difference.

BTW there is reason to play Mienshao as it has potential to be extremely annoying in right hands, on paper you need to remove 4 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 focus sashes, 4 robo sub and 6 pokemons, but most of the people playing it really fast which leads to horrible mistakes, think bro.

Np i commented before actually trying it, I did and it's very very good ! thnx

Edited by ChawkyV