What XY Breakthrough card(s) are you looking forward to the most?

Cymantex

There is no need to argue about this. This deck will either work, or not work. It doesn't have to be a fight before the deck has even been made!

Arguing is healthy, develops opinion and criticism, and what's been doing here is to explore some new ideas due to the release of cards we haven't even used. Plus Felidae_ is right in all his arguments and you two, especially rgp, should consider your position, as Felidae_ made notice. You're dreaming too high and also forgeting lots of details, because setting up parallel city and ninetails doesn't win you the game. I run a deck that relies on only few pokémon and doesn't use shaymin and you're done.

I like the new Raichu and Raichu Break.  50 damage to all opponent EX is a hilarious attack and discard 3 energy for 170 damage.  Raikou is awesome, a basic that only yields one prize has basically the Secret Sword attack (without Rush In of course, has a less cool ability), maybe Superior Energy Retrieval will be in XY9 and we'll all be playing Magnetic Circuit decks.  Seems like a no brainer already: a strong basic, the best energy acceleration (clearly) in standard and Fisherman for when Raikou gets KO'd.  I can do that with 3 bench spaces.

You can't set up Vileplume and Parallel in the same turn, so they're probably going to get a turn to use their Shaymin anyway. Then what? You let them discard a perfectly viable Lysandre target?

Parallel is bad, it only beats Ray, which only a couple other people besides me have played much in tournaments this format. It's cool, but bad. Hex Maniac doesn't care about your Giratina, Vileplume or Ninetails either.

On another note, Zoroark is the coolest card in the set.

Let's say you do run Seismitoad EX Parallel City, you aren't going to take many prizes *************** with Muscle Band. It's going to make for some very boring drawn out games.

censored bit points out Toad's Quaking Punch will do even less damage.

Technically, you can setup Vileplume and Parallel City in the same turn, especially with Skyla. All you need is Forest of Giant Plants, get the Vileplume, then Skyla for Parallel City and put it up. Now, you can't lock it in with Giratina until the next turn as best, but still...

I might try it in Dragon Rayquaza deck, I can discard Hoopa EX, keep Hydreigon EX, 2 Reshiram and a Mega Rayquaza and any Fire, Water, Leaf decks will have to deal with Delta Wild and an extra 20 less damage. Or the other way around, not that doing 20 less damage would make a difference to Dragon Ascent's 300 damage it won't affect dragons, or a lot of other pokemon.

Arguing is healthy, develops opinion and criticism, and what's been doing here is to explore some new ideas due to the release of cards we haven't even used. Plus Felidae_ is right in all his arguments and you two, especially rgp, should consider your position, as Felidae_ made notice. You're dreaming too high and also forgeting lots of details, because setting up parallel city and ninetails doesn't win you the game. I run a deck that relies on only few pokémon and doesn't use shaymin and you're done.

Yes, arguing is healthy, but I just didn't want it to get turned into something bad and I agree that Felidae_ made some good points but we haven't had the chance to play the deck(on the TCGO) so I think we should debate it after the release, but thats just my opinion. :)

What do you all think of the new Vest Tool? Basically, It cuts all damage done to the holder by 40 against any pokemon with special energy attached to it. Looking at a huge number of strategies that rely on double colorless energy, I'm really going to try it out somehow! Maybe with the new Raikou, or AT Entei.

Technically, you can setup Vileplume and Parallel City in the same turn, especially with Skyla. All you need is Forest of Giant Plants, get the Vileplume, then Skyla for Parallel City and put it up. Now, you can't lock it in with Giratina until the next turn as best, but still...

Unless they changed the rules, you can't bump your own stadium the turn it came into play.

Unless they changed the rules, you can't bump your own stadium the turn it came into play.

Ahh, didn't know that rule. But it could still happen technically, though not very likely. Forest of Giant Plants > Paint Roller > Parallel City. 

Don't think we need to worry about that though :P

You can't play the same stadium down, right?  So can you counter Parallel City with Parallel City?  Bet the programmers have a headache with that.  I'm sure you can play it down the 'other' way, but I bet the game just decides it's the same stadium and you can't play it at first. 

Yeah, Assault Vest will be interesting.  Special Energies are becoming a bigger and bigger liability.  Vespiquen, M Ray, Metal and Fire decks, Toad and Giratina, Night March, Furious Fist decks all enjoy special energies (mostly DCE and strong), I suppose some Aromatisse decks run Rainbow what other common competitive decks, Dragons (although again, M Ray's Dragon Ascent is still so stupid it won't even notice, although I suppose M Tyrantitar could have two Assault Vests and survive.)  AT Entei would definitely want one. 

What other popular decks rely on special energies?  Strong energy is pretty much the only type-specific energy that is so good it has to be included, oh, and Double Dragon. Mystery, Wonder, Flash, Herbal, Burning, Dangerous, Shield all kind of lame.  Don't think it will be that much of an issue:  You can Skyla for Startling Megaphone in Standard soon.

Hey, though, looking into it, the rule is 'you can't play a stadium of the same name' isn't it?

So if you are Parallel City and so is your opponent, as soon as one is down, regardless of its orientation, it's a dead card in your hand.  I dunno if there has been a ruling otherwise, but that sucks.

Hey, though, looking into it, the rule is 'you can't play a stadium of the same name' isn't it?

So if you are Parallel City and so is your opponent, as soon as one is down, regardless of its orientation, it's a dead card in your hand.  I dunno if there has been a ruling otherwise, but that sucks.

The ruling is that you can't replace a Parallel City with another Parallel City.

The text written on the card makes it very clear why:

"This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can't play this card."

Yeah. . .

what I was getting at was that you can't play the same stadium that is already up, regardless of whose turn or who played it initially.  For example, I cannot replace my opponent's copy of Rough Seas with my own, so I can get it out of my hand and draw cards with Shaymin (as an example).

Extrapolating a little further, regardless of which way Parallel City is facing I don't think you can play another copy of Parallel City to 'flip' it, since it has the same name whichever way it happens to be facing:  once you are stuck in one parallel city you can't play your own to bump your opponent's and reverse it, you follow?

Yes, thank you Tizzy, beat me to it, thank you for comprehending.

I know this sounds lame, but the card I want the most is a FA Glalie-EX, because the art and Pokemon is just awesome. I also reckon that with the release of the next Japanese set, which revolves around a water type M-Gyarados, the special Water Energy will be released and may help to boost Glalie's competitive value, possibly with quicker set-up, now that Blastoise and it's Deluge ability are out of Standard. I mean, with cards like Judge and Octillery, getting the same number of cards in your hand as your opponent shouldn't be too hard, and with a Muscle Band that goes for 170 Damage! Not to mention upcoming Golduck Break and it's ability which means healing (if that's what you're after) should be easy. If you really want you could include Empoleon, to boost attack, but it's not really necessary. I don't know, I think this would be pretty cool anyhow, what do others think? (Pun right there)

So many evolution pokemon that are reaching 160 HP and sick attacks, amazing abilities, think it's worth it to play stage pokemon now, so many things have made Seismitoad toothless that is might be possible to set them up easier too.  When the stage pokemon get so good, it seems worth it not to play EX and give up 2 prizes.

Someone mentioned Gallade, you could actually Maxie it and power it up with DCE in one turn and do 130 damage? Massive.  That will be cool.

There are sooooo many though.  My aching wallet.

Archived