What XY Breakthrough card(s) are you looking forward to the most?

Cymantex

As lame is it may seem, I have to settle on Float Stone and Skyla.

I really dislike the current Standard environment, as it just feels so clunky, a bit like watching a group of toddlers play sports; in the end one will be declared the winner, but the path to victory wasn't pretty to watch at all.

Sure, I also like a couple of the new cards, but as another user once said "The best deck in the format is Shaymin-Ex and cards that win the game", thus I can't really get hyped over a single Pokemon.

Quite a few cards im looking forward too.

1) Parallel City: I want to build and test a deck involving this cards and see what effects it can do in games.

2) Mewtwo Y: im not building a mewtwo deck, but adding mewtwo Y to my Psyquaza deck for extra support.

3) Float stone: return of float stone means i can reuse Gengar/trevenant

4) Giovanni scheme, Skyla and judge: supporters i can use to replace some of the current standard supporters which i dont like.

5) BREAK cards: Whatever my first break card i pull, im going to build a deck around it and see how good BREAK can be.

Well, there are quite a few cards that I'm NOT looking forward to, like Mega Mewtwo. It just seems way OP. I think there are going to be quite a few OP cards in the set.

I'm looking forward to pretty much all of the supporters however.

Getting back Skyla will be interesting because its going to heat up the Stadium wars once we can Skyla for stadiums on demand. That should help Primal Groudon at least (which needs help anyway).

Skyla might hurt M Ray, because it will be easier for people to get rid of Sky Field.

Pokemon I'm actually looking forward to most is Noivern Break. I think Noivern is going to be awesome, perhaps OP, with Break. Once you put Break on the Echolocation Noivern he's going to be a 130 HP Stage 1 that has only a 50% chance to ******* and can either hit all your pokemon for 30 or potentially hit for 150 (With Battle Reporter).

It's not hard to see the potential there. With a Muscle Band you could OHKO many EXs outright, but even without that you can just take a few turns of Boomburst and you'll have damaged everything to the point that everything, including Megas, can be taken out with Synchro Woofer.

I assume that if you put Break on Noivern won't still count as a Stage 1. I don't know the answer to that. If he does still count as a Stage 1 then Noivern Eeveelutions will be insane.

p.s. Just this morning I got lucky and got a Gold Max Potion from a chest, which will soon be usable! Unfortunately it wasn't a tournament chest, or I'd be trading it...

I know some of these may seem noobish, but heres my list:

Parallel city: 1. Its a FA staduim I mean come on, how cool is that? 2. Its a good M Ray counter and just overall annoying IMO.

Burning energy: It comes out of the discard pile if it is discarded by an attack so i am already scheming decks. >:)

Float Stone: Its just an amazing tool card.

Skyla: Korrina just doesn't cut the butter IMO.

Geovanni's XXXXX(idk the rest of the card): It's a shauna/muscle band hybrid.

Parallel city looks super annoying and pretty bad overall. It will basically kill Metal, Fairy, and M Ray, also bats. I think overall it will encourage MORE use of Shaymin EX and more use of basics that can be simply revived. It makes evolving supporters pretty much unusable. Any stage 1 and stage 2 supporters are going to be toast with this.

Probably everyone will put it into every deck that doesn't run Fire, Water, or Grass pokemon and use it to limit the opponent to 3. This card can really kill Fairy decks. It will be bad for M Ray, but probably not as bad as it will be for Fairy and Metal, because M Ray is already used to dealing with the issue, while Fairy is not.

Yeah, I don't like that card. I think its going to have a bad effect on the meta. It definitely goes directly at two of the strongest decks, being M Ray and Mega Gardevoir and I think it will hit Mega Gardevoir hardest. I think the worst thing about it is that there is no real way to counter it. Yes, you can get rid of it, but by then the damage is already done.

Also, M Ray can easily run Ninetales to counter this stadium, but decks like Metal and Fairy don't have space for that. Yeah, I think this card is a real shame, and its making me think I shouldn't bother trying to make a Mega Gardevoir deck.

I'd say, because of this single stadium alone, Fighting, Darkness, Psychic and to a lesser extent Dragon, will surge. These are all types that don't need big benches and don't ******* by the type negatives.

With this, pretty much everyone should run 4 Shaymin EX all the time in every deck, get them all out, and then throw this stadium to discard them, or just run lots of Shaymin in case someone else does they've have throw away pokemon to discard.

It's also going to be an annoying and cheap way to get rid of injured pokemon, further encouraging OHKO builds...

So, I'm guessing pretty much Shaymin EX + Mega Mewtwo FTW...

Actually, because of Parallel City Mega Ampharos will probably become big. Just run only 4 pokemon (plus their Mega Evolutions) a bunch of energy, Shrine of Memories, and some healing and sit there and go for it with no bench. 

I have a feeling that there will be a bunch of "hurt" people who think parallel world isn't good and will want it banned. also this could be good against shiftry cause 90% of the time shiftry needs a full bench and if you can get that out and ninetails into play, shiftry will pretty much be toast, but wobbufett and baltoy are still better counters.

Parallel City with Ninetails is going to be a thing, and almost everyone is going to try running it and its going to be super annoying. Every game is going to end up being a race to get out Parallel City with the 3 bench limit facing the opponent and putting up Ninetales. The entire meta is going to revolve around that.

This card is really stupid.

I can already tell you what will become the core of every deck:

4 Parallel City

4X2 Ninetails

4 Wally

4 Shaymin

4 Trainer's Mail

That's the essential core of every competitive deck post Parallel City.

It will get to the point where every game will be decided by the coin toss, because whoever goes first will get out Parallel City and Ninetails and then the other player will be stuck.

Yeah, this is stupid...

Parallel City is indeed one of the more interesting cards of the set that has some pretty nice interactions with the current meta game ( both in Standard and in Expanded), but you guys are overhyping it beyond any reason.

@chicken:

Ignoring that your first sentence doesn't make any sense ( why would people who don't think the card is good want it to be banned ? ), you don't honestly think that this card would do anything against Shiftry. Sure, in a world where you'd play Wally and Ninetails, but this isn't something you'd take into an Unlimited match.

@rgp:

While I know that you are quite creative in your deck building process, I get the feeling that your judgement on this topic is somewhat disillusional.

1. The card doesn't nearly impact as many top tier decks as you want us to believe.

2. While Ninetails is certainly a nice tech card, having Hex Maniac in the game does further limit the use of the card, in addition to the usual argument of it being snipped quite easily by Lysandre.

Sure, the combination of those cards can lead to some pretty awkward situations for the opponent, but not nearly in a way you imagine.

3. Speaking of your “core build everyone is using”, you do realize that with Ninetails taking up a spot on the bench, you essentially just get 1 more Pokemon than your opponent.

Also, why would anyone with the right mindset play 4 Wally and commit to a strategy that doesn't effect 60+% of the entire field ?

Ninetails/Parrllel City/Wally would be an annoying and fast set up deck(and I will assume that it will go rampant until proven wrong). So with that logic, Shiftry went wild and people want it banned for good or something like that, and if this new deck is like that, people will want Parallel City, Ninetails, and/or Wally gone.

I don't get it, what's the point of Ninetales/Parralel/Wally? Sure you've locked your opponent to 3 spaces but what comes next? How does it win, do you just sit until your opponent decks out?

While I know that you are quite creative in your deck building process, I get the feeling that your judgement on this topic is somewhat disillusional.

1. The card doesn't nearly impact as many top tier decks as you want us to believe.

2. While Ninetails is certainly a nice tech card, having Hex Maniac in the game does further limit the use of the card, in addition to the usual argument of it being snipped quite easily by Lysandre.

Sure, the combination of those cards can lead to some pretty awkward situations for the opponent, but not nearly in a way you imagine.

3. Speaking of your “core build everyone is using”, you do realize that with Ninetails taking up a spot on the bench, you essentially just get 1 more Pokemon than your opponent.

Also, why would anyone with the right mindset play 4 Wally and commit to a strategy that doesn't effect 60+% of the entire field ?

Maybe, but if you build your deck to accommodate that situation and the opponent has not then it will be a problem for them.

Yes, there is Lysander, but it's not that simple.

If you get Parallel City/Ninetails on turn 1, then it can significantly impact the opponents ability to setup. It will obviously limit the ability to play Hoopa/Shaymin. If they do try to counter it it means they need to burn their only Supporter for the turn doing it, and since they will have limited ability to setup to being with they have a lower chance of even drawing onto a Lysander to begin with.

It also means that you force your opponent to burn an attack on Ninetails, opening them up to an easy counter attack.

The issue is that due to Shaymin (and to a lesser degree Unown), bench space = draw support, so if you limit their bench space you are also limiting their draw ability.

Also, its not just Ninetails. There is also Parallel City & Giratina EX (Not first turn, but still), Seismitoad EX, Trevenant (which will be better due to Float Stone).

Metal and Fairy basically can't function with only 3 bench slots. Vespiquen will be limited due to lack of Shaymin space. The other side is going to hurt Grass, Fire, and Water, so you won't want to run it in those decks.

I think Parallel City/Giratina, Parallel City/Trevenant/Gengar EX, Parallel City/Mega Mewtwo/Ninetails will all be big. 

Yeah, I think the impact of Parallel City on the meta is going to be bad, bad, bad.

We'll see....

I don't get it, what's the point of Ninetales/Parralel/Wally? Sure you've locked your opponent to 3 spaces but what comes next? How does it win, do you just sit until your opponent decks out?

Not necessarily, cards like the hammers, Flare Hyper Gear, Flare grunts, and even Target Whistle can be used to prevent your opponent from attacking or getting big attackers out.

For one, if they have only 3 bench slots they can't effectively play Shaymin. If they do, then they can't play attackers, so you can just kill off the Shaymin easily. If you can't play Shyamin then you can't draw as effectively as your opponent, and that is the life of the whole deck. It's why Shaymin cost like $50 in real life right now.

It kills anything that needs supporters, like Machamp EX/Ariados, Medicham/Machamp, pretty much all Fairy and all Metal. It hurts Mega Manectric a lot because that often relies on Hoopa and Shaymin and having space on the bench to setup attackers. It defiantly hurts all bats decks, no room to put the bats out.

But mainly it will greatly hurt the opponent's ability to play Shaymin, which by itself will be very powerful. It's going to make lock decks even more powerful, and guess what, everyone hates lock decks. They are no fun to play against.

Now its going to be lock the opponent down to 3 bench spots (effectively block Shaymin), then lock the stadium, then lock items.

Giratina EX is going to be huge. I'm already anticipating that the two big decks will be Mega Mewtwo and Giratina EX, and Trevenat will make a comeback with Float Stone.

But, we do have Paint Roller, so I guess everyone will start having to run 3 or 4 copies of that :P

While the community is indeed easy offended and if it would go according to certain individuals then we'd have a ban list that consist of 30+ cards, but lets be honest: in what parallel universe would your Wally, Ninetails, Parallel City deck even be considered remotely as effective as Shiftry ?

You two talk about how easy this deck is to set up, but you still haven't explained what you've actually achieved once you get your set-up going.

Let's look at the field: On your side you have a bunch of Pokemon and Ninetails, as well as Parallel City. You've spend your first turn doing so, as your deck is dedicated to get this going as fast as possible. Ignoring that you've thus spend a lot of resources just to get everything rolling, we haven't talked about the things that will actually win the game, though you could run a couple of cards in this case.

Alright, not let's look at the opponent. You are facing a couple of different scenarios now:

1. Your opponent plays a deck that heavily relies on the bench ( Bats, Raichu, Rayquaza, Fairy, etc.). Naturally he's crippled by your play. However, even with 3 bench Pokemon Ninetails gets OHKOed by a M-Rayquaza. Being able to chain Shaymins till your 3 bench slots are full, then playing Hex Maniac, replacing Parallel City and then proceeding to fill the bench is also something you shouldn't overlook.

2. Your opponent plays a deck that doesn't need many Pokemon on the bench and is practically unaffected by your stadium. Sadly you have devoted quite a lot of cards in order to get everything rolling, slots that you now dearly miss, as you get steam rolled by the opponent.

3. You play the mirror match, because your opponent is apparently as disillusional as you are. The coin toss is the scenario doesn't really matter, because the player who gets the City rolling essentially only gets one bench slot more, which can be quite good, yet hasn't the same impact in the game that you seem to believe it has.

This is obviously just a broad overview and there will certainly be situations where a turn 1 Parallel City puts the opponent into a lock down, but even thinking about the impact you two want it to have is downright ridiculous.

Oh and before you argue “well the card isn't released, so nobody know for sure”, well guess what, the set has been available in Japan for a month now ( I was even tempted to buy a couple of booster packs when I was there) and you can be assured that by now we'd have known if the metagame there would contain of nothing but Parallel City.dec.

But if your opponent is stadium locked AND item locked, then they are screwed, and you can even get exeggutor in the mix and kill supporters, so thats literally every trainer card, useless.

While the community is indeed easy offended and if it would go according to certain individuals then we'd have a ban list that consist of 30+ cards, but lets be honest: in what parallel universe would your Wally, Ninetails, Parallel City deck even be considered remotely as effective as Shiftry ?

You two talk about how easy this deck is to set up, but you still haven't explained what you've actually achieved once you get your set-up going.

Let's look at the field: On your side you have a bunch of Pokemon and Ninetails, as well as Parallel City. You've spend your first turn doing so, as your deck is dedicated to get this going as fast as possible. Ignoring that you've thus spend a lot of resources just to get everything rolling, we haven't talked about the things that will actually win the game, though you could run a couple of cards in this case.

Alright, not let's look at the opponent. You are facing a couple of different scenarios now:

1. Your opponent plays a deck that heavily relies on the bench ( Bats, Raichu, Rayquaza, Fairy, etc.). Naturally he's crippled by your play. However, even with 3 bench Pokemon Ninetails gets OHKOed by a M-Rayquaza. Being able to chain Shaymins till your 3 bench slots are full, then playing Hex Maniac, replacing Parallel City and then proceeding to fill the bench is also something you shouldn't overlook.

2. Your opponent plays a deck that doesn't need many Pokemon on the bench and is practically unaffected by your stadium. Sadly you have devoted quite a lot of cards in order to get everything rolling, slots that you now dearly miss, as you get steam rolled by the opponent.

3. You play the mirror match, because your opponent is apparently as disillusional as you are. The coin toss is the scenario doesn't really matter, because the player who gets the City rolling essentially only gets one bench slot more, which can be quite good, yet hasn't the same impact in the game that you seem to believe it has.

This is obviously just a broad overview and there will certainly be situations where a turn 1 Parallel City puts the opponent into a lock down, but even thinking about the impact you two want it to have is downright ridiculous.

Oh and before you argue “well the card isn't released, so nobody know for sure”, well guess what, the set has been available in Japan for a month now ( I was even tempted to buy a couple of booster packs when I was there) and you can be assured that by now we'd have known if the metagame there would contain of nothing but Parallel City.dec.

Its honestly just a cheap, annoying deck. Just like all decks, it won't will 100% of the time and most wins is by people conceding cause people don't like to be against lock decks. I will most likely try it out once rotation comes around, but knowing me, I will play it till it is really good, then go back go my favorite decks and forget about it for the most part.

Edit: To answer a couple of comments I hadn't read while writing the previous answer:

I think Parallel City/Giratina, Parallel City/Trevenant/Gengar EX,Parallel City/Mega Mewtwo/Ninetails will all be big”

So, how does a deck like Parallel City + Mega Mewtwo win against a regular Mega Mewtwo deck ?

You trade 1 bench slot for 12+ cards, that doesn't seem like a good trade at all.

The same argument holds true for your other decks. 1 Toad, 1 Giratina, 1 Shaymin and either one Shaymin or 1 Keldeo, you don't need more to be effective.

Keep furthermore in mind that the majority of decks run roughly 2 Shaymin EX, which more or less signals “yeah, I want 1 of them in the first turns in every game, but if the second is prized I don't really mind”. Sure you got your Night Marsh, Rayquaza and Vespiqueens, but those aren't the prominent decks in the formats anyway, and even if they where, Rayquaza is more or less the only deck that has a problem with the stadium.

There is no need to argue about this. This deck will either work, or not work. It doesn't have to be a fight before the deck has even been made!

You are right, although given that the cards are already available as well as being played in tournaments, it's rather difficult to start any argument in the first place :P.

I have to think that if you run Giratina Vileplume and you can lock the opponent out of Special Energy, Stadiums, Tools, Items, AND down to only 3 bench spaces, that that's going to be pretty devastating. 

Granted, that's not the Ninetails build I was talking about, but still. Remember that Skyla is coming back into Standard, so you can do Giratina Vileplume and run only 1 or 2 Parallel City, along with Forest of Giant Plants and you'll still be able to throw up Vileplume, and then Skyla for Parallel City. The opponent won't even be able to play Paint Roller to get rid of it.

As for The Ninetales/Wally/Parallel City thing, we'll see. You are right, in a mirror match with Mega Mewtwo or other such low supporter pokemon (Mega Ampharos) it may not be an advantage, but it would certainly disrupt most other decks IMO.

- I'm looking forward for Yveltal baby...! Yveltal has tool canceling while active, and deals 60 damage + 60 more damage to one opponent benched ex... great match up for Darkrai Ex deck, along with the new Zoroark and maybe Break Zoroark, instead of Keldeo Ex.

- Zoroark stage 1 plus break are also some of my greatest expectations. Having a 140hp Zoroark with Keldeo's ability and foul play for 1 dark energy or mind jack for 2 dce is awesome! Also, mind jack seems a good counter for mega ray col, taking advantage of opponents sky field and hitting until 250hp... you don't even need to carry your own sky field as it's not a must for zoroark.

- Noivern break seems pretty cool too, maybe upon echolocation noivern.

- The comeback of float stone and skyla is very welcome, as everyone knows.

- Heavy boots and heavy ball will be cool for my camerupt ex deck, transforming it into standard.

- Octillery will also be welcome as shaymin replacer (i don't own any shaymin) but still i think i wont use it... to setup a stage 1 while other needs have to be attended may not be the right thing to do, even if it gives you drawing power.

What about Raikou? 20 more damage for each lightning energy attached, and 20 less damage from attacks. Any ideas besides Magnezone or is it not worth?

Archived