Deck Review Thread (Experienced Players Wanted For Reviews! See Details)

pokemasterTz

EvolvedJanitor

Mienshao, the hidden meta pick

[Content removed - please keep discussion respectful and constructive. -Mod. Poplar]

Edited by Mod_Poplar
Please keep discussion respectful and constructive.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pokemasterTz

• Felidae_

• chickenman2015

• harshu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL, anything will work. If I am allowed just to comment on Virgen     Well certainly I was able to create a very good, "BROKEN" Deck out of a similar concept of Vir-Gen, it didn't work exactly b

“Chopping Evolution”  A Look At The Ascent Of Archeops!   The idea of stopping evolution is, in theory, very strong. So when Archeops was first released, why was it never played? Well, it seems that

You are welcome.

I find I often deck out against the MeinShao deck.  Their damage output is minimal at times, but it is super hard to take prizes against.  I guess we all need a few more startling megaphones?  Or play Ariados decks?  Almost every deck benefits from having two copies of Lysandre and 3-4 VS Seekers, still between Sacred Ash and Eco-Arm. . .

Very comprehensive review of this deck.  Thanks, Felidae.  Looking forward to more excellent content in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
pokemasterTz

Regionals Analysis

Hi everybody! I am going to do some analysis on the six regional tournaments that have taken place. Let’s start! I will be looking at Top 8 masters data.

So basically I am going to use math to figure out which decks you should play using data from regionals. This is all data-based, not opinion based. To figure out which decks are better, I will be using a point system. First of all, I know the Meta changes over the course of these tourneys, so I need to make newer ones weigh more. But how can I calculate weights? Well, the last three tournaments were pretty recent, so I am going off of those, and weighing them one. Next, I am “Averaging” them. I look at every deck that was played, and count how many times it was. Then a get a fraction. When a deck is played x times, it gets x/24 as how much it was played. I then look at the first regional tournament. I compile a list of fractions again, and then multiply the /8 fractions for /24 fractions. I then take the difference and do this for the second and third tourneys too, for all the decks. Now I add all the differences. Now each tourney has a difference compared to the average. However, now we must divide by two. This is because each difference is counted twice, because if one deck is say, one lower, than another has to be one higher, so all differences would be counted twice. With these three differences, I find the weights. If the difference is x, then (24-x)/24 is obviously the amount that’s the same. The percentage that is the same is the percentage it will be worth, or the weight. With this, we get:

Houston – 0.25
Arizona – 0.3
Lancaster – 0.5

This makes sense, as they are in the order that they were held. Now, onto the points. First of all, I want to calculate, on average, where in the top 8 the deck finished. To do this, I add a point for each top 8 placement for each deck. 1 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, and so on. Then I divide by the number of times it was played to get averages. Remember, we are using the weights for the first three, so each placement in those tournaments is getting multiplied by the respective weight. From this, we get the following results for all decks:

1) Toad/Bats – 0.625 points
2) Yvetal/Archeops – 1.2 points
3) Archie’s Blastoise – 1.3
4) Speed Rayquaza – 1.6
5) Vileplume/Regice and Seismitoad/Genesect – 2
6) Yvetal – 2.2
7) Vileplume/Milktank – 2.4
8) Night March – 2.75
9) Mannectric/Garbodor – 3.15
10) Tyrantrum and Sabeleye/Garbodor – 3.5
11) Toad/Giratina – 3.75
12) Vespiqueen/Flareon – 4.15
13) Primal Groundon – 5.5
14) Donphan – 7.5
15) Mannectric/Garbodor – 8

You’re probably going what? That makes no sense! I agree! This is based off of placement, but popularity is not accounted for! So this is weird! Not to worry, we will get a better ranking, to do this, let’s calculate popularity. We will use the same weights, and each time a deck is played, it will get one point. With this, we get this:

1) Vespiqueen/Flareon – 5
2) Toad/Giratina – 3.5
3) Sabeleye/Garbodor – 3
4) Yvetal – 2.85
5) Archie’s Blastoise – 2.6
6) Tyrantrum, Primal Groundon and Donphan – 2
7) Manectric/Garbodor – 1.5
8) Speed Rayquaza – 1.3
9) Night March and Toad/bats – 1.25
10) Toad/Genesect and Manectric/Regice – 1
11) Yvetal/Archeops - 0.6
12) Vileplume/Milktank – 0.3
13) Vileplume/Regice - 0.25

That looks much better. But now you may be thinking, PokeMasterTz, that’s great, but it’s only based off of popularity, and not skill! So let’s combine this list with the other list. Since more points on this list is better, and less on the other is better, let’s say the points a deck has are determined by its “Popularity Points” – Its “Placement Points”. Using that, we get this: (negative signs (-) and – signs not to be confused!)

1) Yvetal - 2.65

2) Archie's Blastoise - 1.3

3) Vespiqueen/Flareon - 0.85

4) Toad/Bats - 0.4

5) Toad/Giratina - (-) 0.25

6) Speed Rayquaza - (-)0.3

7) Sabeleye/Garbodor - (-)0.5

8) Yvetal/Archeops - (-)0.6

9) Toad/Genesect - (-)1

10) Tyrantrum and Night March - (-)1.5

11) Manectric/Garbodor - (-)1.65

12) Vileplume/Regice - (-)1.75

13) Vileplume/Milktank - (-)2.1

14) Primal Groundon – (-)3.5

15) Donphan - (-)5.5

16) Manectric/Regice

That list looks pretty good! Hope this helps with picking a deck in expanded! Go to Pokemon.com/Regionals to see results for each regionals the Top 8. Thanks for reading!

Edited by pokemasterTz
lBlAlRlClOlDlEl

sorry if OT:

when are we going to see updated to new rotation standard tourneys?

or are they all standard post rotation decks?

Felidae_

In the US all major tournaments this season will be played in the Expanded format.

As for Europe I believe that the majority will be Expanded as well, though there might be one or two majors played in the new Standard format.

Figmentofmyself

Steel Mega Killer Deck

I have a steel deck that I have been working on I need a bit of help with the finishing touches.

I am having troubles figuring out the last piece of it as of right now it works amazing I have only lost 1 match of the 10 in Standard. This deck was created to kill Mega Pokémon.  

I have noticed that as soon as they lose their Mega they quit or just stop trying.

Im wanting to know if I should add 2 Beldum’s and 1 Bronzong,and If so what should i replace?

Any ideas would be amazing Thank you guys.

Pokémon

2 Regigigas.

2 Drilbur

1 Excadrill “with the Barrage ability”

2 Beldum

2 Metang

2 Metagross “Magnetic warp ability”

1 Dialga-EX

2 Jirachi

2 Karrablast

2 Escavalier

1 Metagross-EX

1 Mega Metagross-EX

2 Registeel

Trainer

2 Evosoda

2 Great Ball

2 Professor’s letters

2 Lysandre

2 Pokémon center lady

2 Pokémon fan club

2 Steven

1 Teammates

2 Tierno

2 Wally

1 Lucky Helmet

1 Muscle Band

Energy

4 Double Colorless

13 Steel Energy

The idea of this deck is to get my Mega out or 1 of the 4 diffrent Pokemon that can kill or Cripple a mega early.

The want for the Bronzong is because my Regies are going to be a sacrifice early game, meat shield that can still fight back vs a Mega, if possible after the opponent’s Mega hits the active slot move in Jirachi for the Doom desire 1 shot ability. After that to clear the board with the amount of High damage ability’s and control.  “if they don’t quit like so many have.”

I think that being able to move Steel Energy from my discard pile would be amazing and help bring my win condition faster.

Edited by Figmentofmyself
  • Downvote 1
pokemasterTz

Steel Mega Killer Deck

I have a steel deck that I have been working on I need a bit of help with the finishing touches.

I am having troubles figuring out the last piece of it as of right now it works amazing I have only lost 1 match of the 10 in Standard. This deck was created to kill Mega Pokémon.  

I have noticed that as soon as they lose their Mega they quit or just stop trying.

Im wanting to know if I should add 2 Beldum’s and 1 Bronzong,and If so what should i replace?

Any ideas would be amazing Thank you guys.

Pokémon

2 Regigigas.

2 Drilbur

1 Excadrill “with the Barrage ability”

2 Beldum

2 Metang

2 Metagross “Magnetic warp ability”

1 Dialga-EX

2 Jirachi

2 Karrablast

2 Escavalier

1 Metagross-EX

1 Mega Metagross-EX

2 Registeel

Trainer

2 Evosoda

2 Great Ball

2 Professor’s letters

2 Lysandre

2 Pokémon center lady

2 Pokémon fan club

2 Steven

1 Teammates

2 Tierno

2 Wally

1 Lucky Helmet

1 Muscle Band

Energy

4 Double Colorless

13 Steel Energy

The idea of this deck is to get my Mega out or 1 of the 4 diffrent Pokemon that can kill or Cripple a mega early.

The want for the Bronzong is because my Regies are going to be a sacrifice early game, meat shield that can still fight back vs a Mega, if possible after the opponent’s Mega hits the active slot move in Jirachi for the Doom desire 1 shot ability. After that to clear the board with the amount of High damage ability’s and control.  “if they don’t quit like so many have.”

I think that being able to move Steel Energy from my discard pile would be amazing and help bring my win condition faster.

This is the wrong place to post this. Go over to the Best Decks in the TCG or make your own thread.Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...