Deck Review Thread (Experienced Players Wanted For Reviews! See Details)

pokemasterTz

pokemasterTz

Hello! Its PokeMasterTz again, and I have brought this community a deck review thread. This is sort of accomplished in Harshu’s Best Decks in the TCG thread, But that thread is on building decks, not reviewing them, So I went “Sure, Wynaut?” (That’s punny) Anyways, bad and overused puns aside, let’s get started.

What Is The Deck Review Thread (DRT)?

The deck review thread is a thread designed to, Well, Review decks! There will be articles on decks occasionally, and you can read people’s opinions, Ideas, and learn! I will write reviews, and so will other people! More on that later.

What Deck’s Will Be Reviewed?

All decks! Decks you have never heard of, and the most Popular decks in the format, they will all be reviewed! Expect to see crazy ideas, and amazing strategies!

Who Will Be Reviewing?

I will select some players who are interested, just because I don’t want anybody writing, I am going to make this rule: Because I want people who have been active on the forums a lot, I want “Senior Trainers” or higher ONLY to write. I will make exceptions, and just because you’re a Senior Trainer, it doesn’t mean you will get in. If you want to write, post below. If you are not a Senior Trainer and are still maybe a Rookie, Novice, Or Trainer, and want to write, PM me in-game and we will talk about it.

How Will Articles Be Formatted?

After a quick introduction, most articles will follow with some insight and/or a deck list, then critique it, show some possible changes, and give tips and a rating. This will completely vary depending on writers, This format will often not be used, but is a general guideline.

What Are The Rules Of The DRT?

1. Constructive criticism only. Replying to articles is fine and encouraged, just please be polite to others.

2. All articles will be recorded in a table of contents for convenience.

3. Writers should only post accurate information, they should always make sure that false information is never put in there articles.

4. You must abide by all forum rules.

5. Any objections, concerns or questions I will happily address, please voice them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pokemasterTz

• Felidae_

• chickenman2015

• harshu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL, anything will work. If I am allowed just to comment on Virgen     Well certainly I was able to create a very good, "BROKEN" Deck out of a similar concept of Vir-Gen, it didn't work exactly b

“Chopping Evolution”  A Look At The Ascent Of Archeops!   The idea of stopping evolution is, in theory, very strong. So when Archeops was first released, why was it never played? Well, it seems that

You are welcome.

pokemasterTz

The DRT Staff

Owner and Article Writer- PokeMasterTz

Head Aritcle Commenter - Harshu 

Article Writer - LegionofLegend2

Article Writer - Chickenman2015

Article Writer - Felidae_

Edited by pokemasterTz
pokemasterTz

The Featured Article

Article #4 - "Regionals Meta Analysis" - A look at the Top Expanded Decks

In this article, PokeMasterTz takes a look at calculating top plays for Expanded based off of data from Regional Tournaments. A must-read for any Expanded player!

Edited by pokemasterTz
pokemasterTz

Table of Contents

Article #1 - "The Grass Was Greener" - A look at the Decline of Virizion/Genesect by PokeMasterTz

Article #2 - "Chopping Evolution" - The Ascent of Archeops by PokeMasterTz

Article #3 - "Mienshao" - The Hidden Meta Pick by Felidae_

Article #4 - "Regionals Meta Analysis" - A look at the Top Expanded Decks

Edited by pokemasterTz

Its really nice to what you are doing for the community. Nothing offensive, but just wanted to clear out, Best Decks in TCG provides a platform of not only building decks but also reviewing them. People suggestion changes, which are taken into consideration and then they are finalised. Everyone's suggestions are welcome.

To be honest I didn't understand the purpose of this thread. If you will be reviewing deck, you would need deck lists and the deck ideas. Another big thread for the same reason. Nothing offensive here. Just trying to clear out my doubts :)

If its something different. Can I join ? I mean I know I am a rookie, but it is interesting to reply on the discussions here !

pokemasterTz

Its really nice to what you are doing for the community. Nothing offensive, but just wanted to clear out, Best Decks in TCG provides a platform of not only building decks but also reviewing them. People suggestion changes, which are taken into consideration and then they are finalised. Everyone's suggestions are welcome.

To be honest I didn't understand the purpose of this thread. If you will be reviewing deck, you would need deck lists and the deck ideas. Another big thread for the same reason. Nothing offensive here. Just trying to clear out my doubts :)

If its something different. Can I join ? I mean I know I am a rookie, but it is interesting to reply on the discussions here !

Harshu, I am really sorry you took my thread this way :( I would never intentionally duplicate a thread, please allow me to explain some differences. So, the DRT releases articles, which have lists, and then, the articles go on to say how good they are, What type of playstyle they follow,  How hard it is to play them, How popular they are in the meta, What recent tournaments they have won and thing like that. Its more on writing stuff kind of like a news site if you will, where you get articles on decks instead of deck lists with strategies which are then debated. I realize their might be SOME overlap, but in the end, I believe these threads to be quite different. If you still have a problem with this, I can ask the Mods to close this thread if that is to your liking. I hope that clears things up, when I publish the first article you can see an example of a article and how it differs. For example, if someone were to publish a VirGen list on your thread, it would be fine-tuned, and edited to make a great list! On the contrary, My thread would talk about something like why its on the decline, Its possible future, and how much I would recommend playing it. I hope this clears things up, again, I give my deepest apologies if tis thread is not to your liking.

pokemasterTz

So this is Where we write articles about our decks and new strategies and stuff?

Well, the people who are part of the staff do, and you can read on comment on the articles.

Harshu, I am really sorry you took my thread this way :( I would never intentionally duplicate a thread, please allow me to explain some differences. So, the DRT releases articles, which have lists, and then, the articles go on to say how good they are, What type of playstyle they follow,  How hard it is to play them, How popular they are in the meta, What recent tournaments they have won and thing like that. Its more on writing stuff kind of like a news site if you will, where you get articles on decks instead of deck lists with strategies which are then debated. I realize their might be SOME overlap, but in the end, I believe these threads to be quite different. If you still have a problem with this, I can ask the Mods to close this thread if that is to your liking. I hope that clears things up, when I publish the first article you can see an example of a article and how it differs. For example, if someone were to publish a VirGen list on your thread, it would be fine-tuned, and edited to make a great list! On the contrary, My thread would talk about something like why its on the decline, Its possible future, and how much I would recommend playing it. I hope this clears things up, again, I give my deepest apologies if tis thread is not to your liking.

Of course it clears the things :D And I never meant you were duplicating :P I meant it would need similar mechanism and big threads :P And Can I take part in the discussions ? Please :D

pokemasterTz

Of course it clears the things :D And I never meant you were duplicating :P I meant it would need similar mechanism and big threads :P And Can I take part in the discussions ? Please :D

Of course, You can also write articles if you want.

Felidae_

I like the idea behind this thread, as well written reviews to established archetypes are something that is inherently missing from this site and a good reason why competitive players seek out discussions elsewhere.

As a potential content creator I do however have one crucial question: What's in for me ?

Don't get me wrong, I like the forum and enjoy posting in it, but the difference in time between writing a short comment and an entire review around a singleton archetype is immense.

pokemasterTz

I like the idea behind this thread, as well written reviews to established archetypes are something that is inherently missing from this site and a good reason why competitive players seek out discussions elsewhere.

As a potential content creator I do however have one crucial question: What's in for me ?

Don't get me wrong, I like the forum and enjoy posting in it, but the difference in time between writing a short comment and an entire review around a singleton archetype is immense.

Well, In writing articles, it benefits the community, which should be reward enough, but you can also get a lot of improvement in your writing, and maybe your insight on the deck you were writing on will increase. I know its not much, but eventually, maybe I will start paying writers.

Felidae_

Well, In writing articles, it benefits the community, which should be reward enough, but you can also get a lot of improvement in your writing, and maybe your insight on the deck you were writing on will increase. I know its not much, but eventually, maybe I will start paying writers.

Well, I figured you'd say something like that. Depending on the development of the thread I might add one or two reviews, but for now I guess I'll stick to publishing on other sites.

Best of luck for the thread never the less though.

Edited by Felidae_
pokemasterTz

“The Grass Was Greener” – A Look At The Decline Of Virizion/Genesect

Hello, this is officially the first article! I really hope this thread succeeds, I have good things planned! Anyways, let’s move on. Last year, Virizion/Genesect dominated. It was such a big deck, and was very, very popular. In fact, of the 2014 World Championships Masters Division’s four semifinalists, three of them where Virizion/Genesect. But then, we fast forward today. Now, since Virizion/Genesect is rotating out, I would have never done an article on it unless something significant has happened regarding the expanded format, as while I do not play in real life, I recognize many players do. Yup, that significant event was the announcement that all regionals will be in the expanded format. Also, possibly, just as important, Shiftry was banned, so now we can actually see some other decks win! So now that Virizion/Genesect can be played in a large format again, we will probably see lots of it like in 2014 right? Unfortunately, I have to say no. Virizion/Genesect is really, really on the decline. Let’s look at a list:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 10

1 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

3 Genesect-EX PLB 97

4 Virizion-EX PLB 96

1 Jirachi-EX PLB 98

1 Deoxys-EX PLF 111

Trainer Cards - 37

1 G Booster PLB 92

4 Professor Juniper PLF 116

3 N NVI 101

4 Ultra Ball PLF 122

4 VS Seeker ROS 110

4 Skyla BCR 149

1 Shadow Triad PLF 102

3 Skyarrow Bridge NXD 91

2 Muscle Band XY 121

2 Tool Scrapper DRX 116

1 Colress PLS 135

1 Colress Machine PLS 119

3 Energy Switch ROS 109

1 Town Map BCR 136

1 Professor's Letter XY 123

1 Super Rod NVI 95

1 Enhanced Hammer PRC 162

Energy - 13

9 Grass Energy CL 88

4 Plasma Energy PLS 127

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The strategy of this deck, as many of you surly know, is to power Genesect Ex’s G Booster attack, which can be used after equipping the ACE SPEC card of the same name. The energy acceleration is covered by Virizion Ex’s Emerald Slash attack, and Genesect’s Megalo Cannon is also very handy. This list aims to bring out the G Booster quickly, get the turn two slash consistently, and win. It’s fairly standard, so I am not going to talk much more about it.

Virizion/Genesect seems good, but in the past year, the Meta has changed considerably. The big thing that Virizion/Genesect relies on is that 200 damage G Booster to get an OHKO. This was all fine and dandy, but then came the big hit: Mega Evolution. These hulking EX Pokémon just have too much HP, and without OHKO’s, Genesect/Virizion is slowed. What’s more, decks like Night March and Speed Rayquaza have made the current Meta full of speed decks, and Virizion/Genesect just cannot keep up with them. With this, Virizion/Genesect looks like it will stay at a Tier 2 or 3 deck.

However, at worlds this year, it looks like Genesect may have found a friend in what is its biggest foe: Mega Manectric. Mega Manectric/Genesect saw decent play, and performed decently. However, it’s clear that the developer’s do not seem to like this deck, as the next set introduces one of the strongest special energy I have seen for some time: Burning Energy. Burning energy is horrifying, its effect says that if the fire type Pokémon it’s attached too uses an attack that discards a fire energy, Burning Energy goes to the discard, but then goes back onto that Pokémon. This is sure to see play with Camerupt or Emboar variants, and it will only make Virizion/Genesect less playable. Ultimately, one of the best decks I have ever played has fallen to the wayside. Thanks for reading!

pokemasterTz

Ok, Can I put you under the "Staff"? If so, what would you like to be called? Writer? Commenter? Please tell me.

Well, I figured you'd say something like that. Depending on the development of the thread I might add one or two reviews, but for now I guess I'll stick to publishing on other sites.

Best of luck for the thread never the less though.

Thanks

Ok, Can I put you under the "Staff"? If so, what would you like to be called? Writer? Commenter? Please tell me.

Thanks

LOL, anything will work. If I am allowed just to comment on Virgen :D

“The Grass Was Greener” – A Look At The Decline Of Virizion/Genesect

Hello, this is officially the first article! I really hope this thread succeeds, I have good things planned! Anyways, let’s move on. Last year, Virizion/Genesect dominated. It was such a big deck, and was very, very popular. In fact, of the 2014 World Championships Masters Division’s four semifinalists, three of them where Virizion/Genesect. But then, we fast forward today. Now, since Virizion/Genesect is rotating out, I would have never done an article on it unless something significant has happened regarding the expanded format, as while I do not play in real life, I recognize many players do. Yup, that significant event was the announcement that all regionals will be in the expanded format. Also, possibly, just as important, Shiftry was banned, so now we can actually see some other decks win! So now that Virizion/Genesect can be played in a large format again, we will probably see lots of it like in 2014 right? Unfortunately, I have to say no. Virizion/Genesect is really, really on the decline. Let’s look at a list:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 10

1 Shaymin-EX ROS 106

3 Genesect-EX PLB 97

4 Virizion-EX PLB 96

1 Jirachi-EX PLB 98

1 Deoxys-EX PLF 111

Trainer Cards - 37

1 G Booster PLB 92

4 Professor Juniper PLF 116

3 N NVI 101

4 Ultra Ball PLF 122

4 VS Seeker ROS 110

4 Skyla BCR 149

1 Shadow Triad PLF 102

3 Skyarrow Bridge NXD 91

2 Muscle Band XY 121

2 Tool Scrapper DRX 116

1 Colress PLS 135

1 Colress Machine PLS 119

3 Energy Switch ROS 109

1 Town Map BCR 136

1 Professor's Letter XY 123

1 Super Rod NVI 95

1 Enhanced Hammer PRC 162

Energy - 13

9 Grass Energy CL 88

4 Plasma Energy PLS 127

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The strategy of this deck, as many of you surly know, is to power Genesect Ex’s G Booster attack, which can be used after equipping the ACE SPEC card of the same name. The energy acceleration is covered by Virizion Ex’s Emerald Slash attack, and Genesect’s Megalo Cannon is also very handy. This list aims to bring out the G Booster quickly, get the turn two slash consistently, and win. It’s fairly standard, so I am not going to talk much more about it.

Virizion/Genesect seems good, but in the past year, the Meta has changed considerably. The big thing that Virizion/Genesect relies on is that 200 damage G Booster to get an OHKO. This was all fine and dandy, but then came the big hit: Mega Evolution. These hulking EX Pokémon just have too much HP, and without OHKO’s, Genesect/Virizion is slowed. What’s more, decks like Night March and Speed Rayquaza have made the current Meta full of speed decks, and Virizion/Genesect just cannot keep up with them. With this, Virizion/Genesect looks like it will stay at a Tier 2 or 3 deck.

However, at worlds this year, it looks like Genesect may have found a friend in what is its biggest foe: Mega Manectric. Mega Manectric/Genesect saw decent play, and performed decently. However, it’s clear that the developer’s do not seem to like this deck, as the next set introduces one of the strongest special energy I have seen for some time: Burning Energy. Burning energy is horrifying, its effect says that if the fire type Pokémon it’s attached too uses an attack that discards a fire energy, Burning Energy goes to the discard, but then goes back onto that Pokémon. This is sure to see play with Camerupt or Emboar variants, and it will only make Virizion/Genesect less playable. Ultimately, one of the best decks I have ever played has fallen to the wayside. Thanks for reading!

Well certainly I was able to create a very good, "BROKEN" Deck out of a similar concept of Vir-Gen, it didn't work exactly because I used another strategy to build this deck. But as pointed out, Camerupt won't be there much, instead we will see pyroars and reshirams as witnessed before. To my theory, for a better Virizon, you can use M Sceptile, which not only heals but also attaches 2 energies from hand. Not necessary, since its says "UP TO" 2. So what say ? M Sceptile is overall better than Virizon and with Virbank in play, Sceptile can get a good start as well ! But that was just about how another thing would go on ! But that can actually be good against the strong opponents like Speed ray and Night march. Its much better actually since it works like healing as well. And a Mega, its not really always that Ray, gets with 8 on bench on third turn, plus you can hit it, poison and other kinds of things !

What say ? Just providing the other face of the coin as well as a new deck idea that works on Vir-Gen.  Another thing to be thought of is, the Drifblim : Virgen being popular as well !  It has succeeded many Nationals as seen on Pokemon Site. But it does have a drifblim. Who knows, as said Virgen may remain EVERGREEN !

I expect it to be popular still, since the main popular deck not aware of --> Seismitoad, whose support has turned to the cave of Expanded tournament will be there and the best counter for it is no Doubt Vir-Gen !!

Just my first post, so wanted to ask, was this how you wanted me to right or is it not appropriate ??

Edited by harshu
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
Felidae_

A decent start, here's some constructive criticism on the article:

1. Length

While I liked your writing style, the amount of content in your first article would barely be enough for a proper introduction in on other forums. As we all know, quantity does not mean quality and reading an endless swell of words without any coherent content can be vastly annoying, yet I can't deny the feeling that I haven't read anything new in your article and that you left me with more questions than answers.

2. Content

Speaking of content, here are some points I'm missing in the discussion:

- comparison between the 2014 version and the current one (i.e. what did the deck gain in this year?)

- match-up analysis (i.e. why does the deck have a positive/negative match-up against certain decks)

- card choices and potential tech cards

- Worlds 2015 meta – why did Genesect + M-Manectric succeed ? Also provide us with a deck list

- Current state of the Expanded meta – why does Virizion / Genesect have so many problems right now

- An outlook into the future – what would be needed to make the deck viable again

While you cover a couple of those aspects, none of them is really touched in a broad fashion, thus leaving me as a reader somewhat unsatisfied.

pokemasterTz

A decent start, here's some constructive criticism on the article:

1. Length

While I liked your writing style, the amount of content in your first article would barely be enough for a proper introduction in on other forums. As we all know, quantity does not mean quality and reading an endless swell of words without any coherent content can be vastly annoying, yet I can't deny the feeling that I haven't read anything new in your article and that you left me with more questions than answers.

2. Content

Speaking of content, here are some points I'm missing in the discussion:

- comparison between the 2014 version and the current one (i.e. what did the deck gain in this year?)

- match-up analysis (i.e. why does the deck have a positive/negative match-up against certain decks)

- card choices and potential tech cards

- Worlds 2015 meta – why did Genesect + M-Manectric succeed ? Also provide us with a deck list

- Current state of the Expanded meta – why does Virizion / Genesect have so many problems right now

- An outlook into the future – what would be needed to make the deck viable again

While you cover a couple of those aspects, none of them is really touched in a broad fashion, thus leaving me as a reader somewhat unsatisfied.

Thanks for your feedback! I agree with your suggestions, and I would have done more, but I was In a hurry when I wrote it, because of complications IRL. The next article will definitely be longer.

pokemasterTz

LOL, anything will work. If I am allowed just to comment on Virgen :D

Well certainly I was able to create a very good, "BROKEN" Deck out of a similar concept of Vir-Gen, it didn't work exactly because I used another strategy to build this deck. But as pointed out, Camerupt won't be there much, instead we will see pyroars and reshirams as witnessed before. To my theory, for a better Virizon, you can use M Sceptile, which not only heals but also attaches 2 energies from hand. Not necessary, since its says "UP TO" 2. So what say ? M Sceptile is overall better than Virizon and with Virbank in play, Sceptile can get a good start as well ! But that was just about how another thing would go on ! But that can actually be good against the strong opponents like Speed ray and Night march. Its much better actually since it works like healing as well. And a Mega, its not really always that Ray, gets with 8 on bench on third turn, plus you can hit it, poison and other kinds of things !

What say ? Just providing the other face of the coin as well as a new deck idea that works on Vir-Gen.  Another thing to be thought of is, the Drifblim : Virgen being popular as well !  It has succeeded many Nationals as seen on Pokemon Site. But it does have a drifblim. Who knows, as said Virgen may remain EVERGREEN !

I expect it to be popular still, since the main popular deck not aware of --> Seismitoad, whose support has turned to the cave of Expanded tournament will be there and the best counter for it is no Doubt Vir-Gen !!

Just my first post, so wanted to ask, was this how you wanted me to right or is it not appropriate ??

Yeah, How you did it is fine, and everyone can comment on decks,  but I guess I will put you as "Head Card Commentor" because it sounds professional! Thanks for the feedback!

pokemasterTz

Hey Pokemaster, I would love to post an article but I am not sure if I need your permission so I am just double checking. :)

Hey, Yeah, if anyone wants to post an article, you need my permission, because I want to keep this thread accurate. Permission granted, you are now a article writer.

Edited by pokemasterTz
  • 2 weeks later...
pokemasterTz

“Chopping Evolution”  A Look At The Ascent Of Archeops!

The idea of stopping evolution is, in theory, very strong. So when Archeops was first released, why was it never played? Well, it seems that the Pokémon Company really hates Archeops.  First of all, you must realize, at the time Archeops was released, evolution was huge. Archeops would have been amazing! If it didn’t have all those flaws. Yeah………. Starting off the list of Archeops problems is the fact that it is a fossil Pokémon. Fossil Pokémon have a long, bad history involving the difficulty of getting those cards into play. The Jaw fossil and Archen that were needed were just too hard of a combo to pull off. Second of all, the set Archeops was released In was also the set where an old mechanic was re-introduced: EX Pokémon. Because of EX cards, much of the format became less reliant on evolution and more on these basic Pokémon. Archeops was both hard to set up being a stage 1 fossil Pokémon, and not as useful as it could have been. So it slowly sank to the bottom.

Maxie’s Revival; Brining Archeops Back From Rock Bottom

Sets went by, and soon Primal Clash came along. With it, two interesting came out; Archie’s Ace In The Hole, and Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick. Now, as most of you know, Maxie’s has a spectacular combo with Archeops. With Maxie’s, it is no longer hard to set up Archeops, as without the need for that dreaded Jaw Fossil, it gets pretty easy. For those of you who do not know what Maxie’s does, it brings back ANY fighting type Pokémon from your discard pile straight onto your bench if it is the last card in your hand. Then, it lets you draw five cards. What’s more, the format by this time had shifted again, and evolution was being used more and more. With the introduction of Mega Evolution, Archeops only got stronger. So why is the price of Archeops skyrocketing now? Well, although Maxie’s allowed Archeops to work as soon as it was released, in the end, the answer came down to this; No one cared. The expanded format was not played nearly as much as the standard format, and it did not really matter to most people. It was not used in any big tournaments, and was kind of just there. So, with Archeops being in expanded, it seemed it would stay at the bottom. But I wouldn’t be writing an article about that would I? There was something big that lead to the price of SR Archeops rising in price. That, was the announcement that all regional tournaments will be held in the expanded format. Regionals, are huge, so this significantly increases the ability of Archeops. What’s more, Archeops is being used more and more in the PTCGO, as a large percentage of players are also so IRL.  With this Archeops rises, so let’s take a look at a couple decks.

Partners For Archeops; A Look At Four Lists

To start, let’s look at a skeleton Archeops list with a few staple cards thrown in:

Pokémon: 2

2 Archeops

Trainers: 17

2 Battle Compressor

2 Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick

4 Ultra Ball

4 VS Seeker

4 Professor Sycamore

1 N

Energy:

N/A

Total: 19

Okay, so with those 19 cards, let’s look at some lists.

1)      Archeops/Night March

2)      Archeops/Yvetal

3)      Archeops/Seismitoad

4)      Archeops Pyroar

To start things off, we have Night March. If you think about it, this makes a ton of sense. Night March already runs four compressor, and it does not have any evolutions that can be blocked by Archeops, and it has the room. Here is a list;

Pokemon: 20

3 Shaymin EX

4 Joltik

4 Pumpkaboo Pies (No Pumpkaboos were harmed in the making of these pies)

4 Lampent

2 Archeops

3 Mew EX

Trainers: 33

4 Battle Compressor

4 Ultra Ball

3 Trainers Mail

1 Super Rod

3 Dimension Valley

4 Professor Sycamore

1 N

4 VS Seeker

2 Lysandre

2 Switch

1 Computer Search

2 Muscle Band

Energy: 7

4 Double Colorless Energy

3 Psychic Energy

Now, as most of you already know what the strategy of night march is, and since this is just night march with some disruption, I am just going to point out some interesting card choices. Super rod is used late game in the case that you have all your night marchers in the discard, and kind of serves like the LTC that was played in night march. The Archeops and Maxie’s with the already high amount of cards like VS Seeker, Trainer’s Mail, Battle Compressor and Ultra Ball pair up very nicely. Stopping evolution is very handy, and can often turn games around. The rest of the list is pretty standard, operating like a normal Night March deck would. Overall, this deck is solid, fast, and provides some crazy disruption, while doing high amounts of damage immediately.

Next up, we have Yvetal. Let’s check out a list:

Pokemon: 12

3 Yvetal EX

2 Darkrai EX

2 Shaymin EX

2 Archeops

3 Sabeleye

Trainers: 37

4 Dark Patch

4 Battle Compressor

4 VS Seeker

4 Hypnotoxic Laser

2 Virbank City Gym

4 Professor Sycamore

2 Lysandre

1 N

4 Ultra Ball

1 Computer Search

3 Muscle Band

1 Max Potion

1 Professors Letter

Energy: 11

7 Darkness Energy

Again, it’s a pretty standard deck. Since Yvetal also does not use evolution, partnering it with Archeops makes good sense, and is very potent. The Max Potion seems strange, but I find it very, very good, especially when paired with Y Cyclone or Dark Patch. Other than your Archeops line, this list looks very standard. All the usual trainers, normal energy count, and a good, solid list of Pokémon. I chose to run 3 Sabeleye, which you can take out for pure Yvetal, but I really enjoy the utility Junk Hunt gives. It is just amazing, recycling whatever you need, especially dark patches. Yvetal was dominant, and in expanded I believe it will still be.

Next up, we have Seismitoad. Take a look at this basic list:

Pokemon: 8

4 Seismitoad EX

2 Shaymin EX

2 Archeops

Trainers: 45

4 Ultra Ball

4 VS Seeker

3 Virbank City Gym

4 Hypnotoxic Laser

1 Computer Search

2 Lysandre

4 Professor Sycamore

1 Enhanced Hammer

4 Crushing Hammer

4 Muscle Band

2 Head Ringer

1 Team Flare Grunt

3 N

1 AZ

1 Colress

1 Tool Scrapper

1 Switch

2 Battle Compressor

Energy: 7

3 Water Energy

This looks like a normal Seismitoad list, and it pretty much is just pure toad plus the six cards for Archeops. The two cards together provide strong, very good disruption. No evolution, No items, huge energy denial/disruption and solid damage (LaserBank + Muscle band + 30 Base = 80). Who would want to play with that? Toad has been a pain to deal with lately, but with Archeops providing even more disruption, it does not look like it’s going anywhere soon. The single switch is in case you get a Shaymin start, otherwise, the list is normal. Staples, draw support, disruption (Flare Grunt/Hammers/Scrapper etc.). Something interesting you can do is put in a few Giratina’s, and a few DDE’s. I would go + 2 Giratina EX + 2 DDE and -1 Colress, Water, AZ and N. Giratina provides a second option, and can be nice, but I prefer pure toad. Disrupting the opponent is certainly powerful, and again, stopping evolution on turn 1 possibly is just mind-blowing. The locks you can create with Archeops are incredible, and in my opinion toad is one of the best.

Obscure, never-going to be used deck time! Pyroar, will you ever be played?

Pokémon:12

1 Shaymin EX

2 Archeops

4 Litleo

4 Pyroar

1 Suicune

Trainers: 36

2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick

3 Battle Compressor 

4 VS Seeker

3 Blacksmith

4 Professor Sycamore

3 N

2 Lysandre

1 Computer Search

3 Scorched Earth

4 Ultra Ball

1 Colress

2 Switch

4 Trainers' Mail

Energy: 12

8 Fire Energy

The idea is to create an invincible Pokémon: Pyroar cannot be damaged by Pokémon who do not evolve, and Archeops stops evolution. You get too make people rage quit because they cannot touch you! (How dare you!) Combine this with energy denial, and you got yourself a nice lock. Then you see Hex Maniac, and your dreams of a perfect deck die, never to be seen again. *sigh* Furthermore, You have to wait turn 2 to play Archeops, so you can evolve Pyroar. Wally does not fix this either, as then you cannot play Maxie’s. Nether less, Pyroar is fun, unexpected, has a few good matchups like Night March and Yvetal, and is the kind of crazy thing that might actually work.

Conclusions

Archeops is a cool card, and I definitely think it will see tons of play. I have outlined just four of the many decks it could be used in, and in two months I am sure someone is going to come up with some crazy deck that is going to dominate. But Archeops has a bright future, and I think it will stay soaring (Get it, Soaring, Flying type? I’ll stop now). Anyways, stock up on those SR Archeops, and thanks for reading this short article (I promised myself this would be longer, but oh well)

Edited by pokemasterTz
  • Upvote 1
Felidae_

Very nice read :). If I get the time I might add a short article on the best Standard deck in the current meta around the weekend or so.