Finding a use for Mega Sceptile....

rgp151

When AO came out I quickly went after Sceptile and Mega Sceptile, but I've been underwhelmed by M Sceptile primarily because I can't find anything to pair him with.

I tried a M Sceptile / M Heracross deck, which is a great pairing, except for the fact that Heracross has no Spirit Link. If not for that it would be a great combo, and I still try running it from time to time, but doing two mega evolutions, one of which has no spirit link is a bit of a bummer. 

Another possibility is Beutifly, but again, now we are talking about probably 4x4x3 Beutifly and 3x2 M Sceptile, plus at least 2 Spirit Links and you're going to have to switch the active on turn 1 a lot.

Another option is M Sceptile & Gengar, but its a little awkward with the energy. Still, if you run Shrine of Memories then it can be a good combo so you can use Sceptile's attack. 4x2 M Sceptile and 3 Gengar Ex.

But overall, for me the biggest let down with Mega Sceptile is that he has no really great partner. Again, Mega Heracross would be awesome if not for the Spirit Link issue 

The only other real option I can think of would be AO Lugia Ex.

Or maybe the deck should just be 4x4 Mega Sceptile, 2 Malamar Ex (Shrine of Memories), and you just simply switch out M Sceptile using switch and escape rope to heal up as needed??

I think Malamar EX is your best bet.  Hyper Hypnosis, 130 damage. . .  How about Trevenant and M Sceptile EX, your biggest worry is what to do when Malamar or Trevenant get KO'd with ridiculous amounts of energy on them, Energy Recycler and start again?  I would try energy denial and Malamar EX with Sceptile EX, not so many M Sceptile.  You deny energy to your opponent so they can't OHKO Sceptile EX or retreat so Sceptile EX can't 2-hit KO their big pokemon, run fewer Mega so you can run Muscle Band and Sceptile EX is taking care of nearly every non-EX pokemon.  I think M Manectric EX is better because of it's retreat cost or lack thereof.  Both have pretty bad weaknesses though. . .

Edit: Delta Plus Dragonite? M Sceptile charges up Dragonite's brutal 5 energy cost 150 damage Heavy Impact and sets up a KO on Mega whatever next turn for 3 prize cards.  It might suck starting with Dratini all the time and the end result is turn 3 dragonite which you could have anyways with Double Dragon Energy, but two of them and your lucky not to see Enhanced Hammer, this way it's 3 basic and 1 Double dragon, turn 1 attach to Sceptile EX, turn 2 attach to Sceptile EX, mega evolve, Jagged Razor or whatever to Dragonair / Dragonite depending on your Rare Candy / Wally situation, okay you're still not ready to Heavy Impact on turn 3, even with DDE. Never mind.

M Sceptile is underwhelming, it's not leaf energy from your deck, it's from your hand requiring you to search them out often, it's not 'basic' energy like M Manectric can attach, it does the healing thing. . .   It has theta stop, which I suppose means it can even hit Safegaurd pokemon, doesn't ger Shiftry donked. . .  I dunno.

We'll I've been trying simply 4X2 Mega Sceptile and 2 Malamar Ex and it seems pretty good. I'd like to go to 4X3 I just don't have the cards yet. I'm not using Muscle Band or Hard Charm, just running 3 Spirit Links and that's it. 100 and 130 are just weird attack values. Too low to get up to 1 shot range (without poison) and too high to need to boost for 2 shots, so I'm just leaving them as is. If anything I'd run Hard Charms, but honestly, with the full heal ability, I'd rather run the extra Switches instead and just switch out and heal up. 

So basically right now its between 4X3 Mega Sceptile or 4 Sceptile and 2 Gengar Ex. 

The Gengar is good for when you can't use Malamar's ability, but maybe the 100 attack and extra HP for Mega Sceptile is better, plus it works even when they are immune to special conditions, whereas Gengar still doesn't in those cases.

I've seen the Malamar/Sceptile build a few times. It's actually not bad. The reason I don't like it is that you end up loading up a bunch of energy on Malmar instead of getting your main attackers ready. Malamar's attack is decent but it can outright lose games if you are unlucky.

I use 4-2 M Sceptile EX combined with 2-2 Ariados, 2-2-2 baby Sceptile and 2 Shaymin EX. 
Sceptile EX is the main attacker in this deck, but M Sceptile and baby Sceptile give some ridiculous amount of healing power. You do need more then 12 energy in your deck to pull this off + energy retrieval or energy recycler.

Archived