Mega Tyranitar Ex....

rgp151

Yes I think this Pokemon is OP. I can't really figure out the logic behind creating this Pokemon this way. It does 100 damage + 60 for each damage counter, which means it can one hit any Pokemon in the game with just 3 damage counters on it, and 99% of other Pokemon with just 2 damage counters. So unless you are Wailord or Primal Groudon basically, one **** from Colbat is all that's needed to setup the OHKO.

I don't get it. IMO it's an okay card, they just made the multiplier way too high. And its not that hard to get M Tyranitar up and going with Mega Turbo and Spirit Links. In two games now I've had Mega Pokemon OHKOed by turn 3 or 4 by MT.

Granted, there are counters to it, but they are the typical other OP decks, like, Seismitoad, Night March, etc.

Overall its probably more beatable than some decks, so many will say its not totally OP, but I just don't understand the logic of this card. It's not THAT hard to get MT going, and I don't understand why we need a Pokemon that can do 1,000+ damage?

Seems like it would be better if it was 100+ 20 for each damage counter. Even with that it would only take 4 or 5 damage counters to knock out even Mega Exs, so what's the reasoning for such a high multiplier?

Rayquaza is already more op, he charge more fast and need less energy. Tyranitar is so heavy, but need 4 energys and damage conters in opponent pokemon. The Pokemon Company are inteligent, they no created a op pokemon, tyranitar is less dangerous that you say.

True M Rayquaza Ex, but there are better counters to that. For example Giratina Ex is a hard counter, even if you don't have all the energy on him. Forest of Giant Growth + Beutifly, but that involves some luck to get Beutifly up in time. Plus you can just get rid of the stadium, but they can still play a Sky field down and drop the Shaymen on their own turn, but still.

But I still ask why make M Tyranitar capable of doing over 1000+ damage? Doesn't make sense IMO.

True M Rayquaza Ex, but there are better counters to that. For example Giratina Ex is a hard counter, even if you don't have all the energy on him. Forest of Giant Growth + Beutifly, but that involves some luck to get Beutifly up in time. Plus you can just get rid of the stadium, but they can still play a Sky field down and drop the Shaymen on their own turn, but still.

But I still ask why make M Tyranitar capable of doing over 1000+ damage? Doesn't make sense IMO.

The strange thing here is why some people are so fixated over 1000+ damage. Last I checked, there isn't a reward for huge overkills. A low damage + high multiplier makes it so that players cannot play M Tar as if without a way to damage beforehand, but makes it so that getting a KO with M Tar is not overly difficult.

Mega tyranitar has its weaknesses.

Weakness 1: 2 dark and 1 DCE is a lot of energy and can be counted easily at the right time.

Weakness 2: Fighting types will destroy it regardless.

Weakness 3: it is slow at start of game. faster decks can ko or seriously damage it.

Weakness 4: it does sometimes struggle vs good non ex pokemons. taking 1 prize card by ko a 120 HP pokemon and 230 attack is a waste of a bat.

Weakness 5: no bats to evolve means 2 turns to Ko an EX.

Weakness 6: its losing some good tech cards.

Nah, I just built a MTyranitar deck last night and it kills. I went 4 for 4. I don't use bats, I use Trevenent. I had MTyranitar operational by turn 3 or 4 every game, and with 4X4 Trev line, the opponent gets slowed down so much it's not a problem. I use only 2X2 Tyranitar line.

If you don't recall, Trevent hits for 60 plus 20 to two benched Pokemon. So one simple attack with Trev sets up 3 Pokemon for OHKO by MT. It's much better than bats, even though the energy is more unwieldy. With Mega Turbo it is really not a problem. Use Ultraball to put Darkness energy into the discard, drop a DCE on Tyranitar, and as soon as you Mega Evolve you can Mega Turbo on the other energy. (3 Skyla and 3 Mega Turbo).

I use Dimension Valley, plus 4 X DCE, so either way Trev is hitting by turn 2. All you really need for the win is ONE hit by Trev, that's it. If Trev can just land a single hit you pretty much take the game, unless they are running Rough Seas, but that's also why I run 4 X Dimension Valley, just to get rid of Rough Seas (though I didn't face it last night anyway) or Mountain Ring.

Once Trev lands a single hit, you now have 3 Pokemon setup for MT OHKO. Even if they try healing, unless they are running the water pack thing and use it when you bring up MT, which no one does, they can only heal one at a time with Pokemon Center Lady.

Being able to stop all opponents item cards while you set up is massive, and to be able to hit two guys on the bench each turn!!!

The way every game went I was attacking with Trev by turn 2, and got in 1 to 3 attacks before bringing up MT, Sometimes getting a KO with Trev before MT even came up. Once MT was up ppl either resigned right away or resigned after the first attack. I also run 1 Weakness Policy (which I didn't need to use last night, but...) (and 3 Skyla and 3 VS Seeker).

So yeah, I still say that MT is OP. MT+Trev = practically unbeatable. Any deck can be beaten with a combination of luck and designing decks specifically to beat then, but Trev + MT is a killer combination, because Trev also covers the weakness of MT. So if you try to play Fighting against MT, then Trev is going to slaughter you because fighting is mostly weak to Psychic.

You could play Hawlucha, but Hawlucha can't hit Trev and Trev can hit Hawlucha. Probably the best counter to this deck is Jirachi, which I also think is OP :P Seismitoad is probably also a decent counter, but really Trev is hard on Seismitoad decks because they typically rely on using a lot of items themselves. Night March might also be a problem, but I didn't face any of those and I think Trev would slow them down enough, especially if you can Wally Trev on turn 1. But running 4 X 4 Trev with 4 Wally getting Trev by turn 2 is a virtual guarantee. I got it by turn two every game last night anyway.

(Edit: Actually I think this deck would kill Night march, because Trev can OHKO Pumpkaboo and 2HKO Joltiks on the bench, so you can easily get 3 KOs in a single turn with Trev against Night March, so this might actually be the first deck I willingly play against Night March.)

I'm sure there will times that it doesn't happen, but every deck has freak bad runs.

I'm running 4 X 4 Trev, 4 Wally and pretty much 3 of every other Trainer in the deck.

(Edit: Thinking, I guess the biggest counters to this deck in the 2016 Standard format would be Regice, Beutifly, Jirachi, and Giratina Ex. Mostly all due to Safeguard type abilities.

I think I could take Regice and Beutifly with Trev. Trev's bench hits might help against Jirachi and I could use MTyranitar to OHKO Jirachi. However, if I run up against a lot of Jirachi I'd probably change out a hard charm for a 1 of muscle band so Trev could OHKO Jirahi. Giratina Ex would be a problem. You'd have to fight him with Tyranitar which is not favorable, but hopefully Trev would be disruptive enough to slow them down. So yeah, Giratina Ex is probably the worse matchup.)

• 2 weeks later...

What about M Charizard with a protection cube?He hits 300 damage with no negative effects and can be powered up easily in three turns with black smith.300 damage can knock out anything in on hit without doing anything extra like M tyranitar would have to.I can easily get M Charizard out by the third turn with the use of cards like burning torch and the scorched earth stadium, not only do the allow me to draw cards quickly but the also put fire energy in the discard pile so black smith can attach them to M charizard(or what ever other pokemon needs it) 

Except with Skyla rotated you could have a problem with Tyranitar / Trevenant.

No M Tyranitar is really weak and I doubt it will see any serious play for the time being. It needs a lot of support back. The next set could give more for Tyranitar since Skyla is reprinted and float stone is also coming back. With that the strategy Trevenant / Tyranitar could work. 

Archived