Wally or Evosoda?

86pikachu86

i've come across many opponents who prefer to use Wally over Evosoda. i can't really think why as i see them usually use it during mid-game (what are the chances of it appearing during first draw?). it seems wasteful to use up a supporter slot just to evolve a pokemon. 

unless they are afraid of item lock, i can't think of any other reasons why not to use items instead of supporters.

I run both in decks so that I can get a Stage 2 Pokemon out in play early on. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

wally works on just put in game pokemon.

evo works only on already in play pokemon.

Wally also works on Pokemon already in play except from EX cards.

i've come across many opponents who prefer to use Wally over Evosoda. i can't really think why as i see them usually use it during mid-game (what are the chances of it appearing during first draw?). it seems wasteful to use up a supporter slot just to evolve a pokemon. 

unless they are afraid of item lock, i can't think of any other reasons why not to use items instead of supporters.

Depends on how fast you need, like with walls revenant, u want immediate, but with a more laid back evolution deck, evosoda may work better. personally i only run wally accept in a few rare circumstances.

It depends on what you're trying to do with your Evolution lines.

Trev/Gangar wants Trev evolved as quickly as possible and optimally on Turn 1 so its common to see Ultra Ball and now Level Ball used to fetch out Jirachi (Steller Guidance) to fetch Wally and perform that Turn 1 Evolution.

In Expanded formats (pre Shiftry donks everything), Garchomp/Altaria also wants that Turn 1 Evolution from Gible into Gabite to set up the bench as quickly as possible for a Turn 2 Garchomp to start swinging for 60-180 damage with ease.  Again Level Ball is used to fetch Jirachi which fetches Wally and away you go.  In this deck Wally also serves as a Supporter Rare Candy as it can help Gible go to Garchomp in the same turn by performing a Normal Evolution to Gabite and then use Wally to fetch Garchomp and evolve that turn.

Both Evosoad and Wally have their ups and downs.  It really comes down to how quickly are you looking to evolve and how big is the evolution line that determines if you run Wally or Evosoad or Both.  As you could Evosoad on Turn 2 a Basic Pokemon that was already in play for a turn into its Stage 1 and then Wally the same turn into its Stage 2.

i used ONLY. i thought it was clear.

Your wording implies that you thought Wally only works on Pokemon that have just been put into play and not already in play.

Your wording implies that you thought Wally only works on Pokemon that have just been put into play and not already in play.

actually my wording meant what it is written:

wally works on just put in game pokes (not denying pokemon already in game)

evo works ONLY on pokes already in game (implies that it doesnt work on put on turn)

anyway, OP got his answer.

Typically, if I have both normal evolutions and Mega evolution in the same deck, then I use Evo Soda as it can be used on both. If playing Trevenent and such, then yes, you need Wally. 

Archived