Archie's Blastoise reigns supreme! Take that Seismitoad EX!

fr33land

Jacob Van W. won Masters Division at worlds with Archie's Blastoise, sweeping Seismitoad EX / Crobat.

Keldeo EX's Secret Sword slays the Toad one last time before rotating out soon, playable because of a new mechanic from Primal Clash.

The deck is brilliant, 2 copies of all the stuff you need to pull off Blastoise in turn one: 2 Jirachi EX, 2 Blastoise, 2 Archie's to make sure the complete set you need is there and not half prized, 4 Ultra Ball, 4 Superior Energy Retrieval, it really works!

I was rooting for Keldeo! It's one of my favorite decks. It had one last beautiful run before rotating out. I will miss it....

Was so happy to see a Keldeo EX deck takes World's. Too bad Keldeo and Blastoise will be rotating. :( That was my favorite deck to play.

I just played against the Archie Blastoise deck in versus yesterday. The opening hand plays out a lot like Night March but with a much stronger payoff.

Was so happy to see a Keldeo EX deck takes World's. Too bad Keldeo and Blastoise will be rotating. :( That was my favorite deck to play.

I just played against the Archie Blastoise deck in versus yesterday. The opening hand plays out a lot like Night March but with a much stronger payoff.

I'm afraid this deck won't be playable much longer- even in expanded due to the power of hex maniac as a card.. The ability to lock shaymin set up is just too powerful to be ignored.. And when you check, hex maniac literally stops everything in a blastoise deck- from keldeo to blastoise to suicune..

I'm afraid this deck won't be playable much longer- even in expanded due to the power of hex maniac as a card.. The ability to lock shaymin set up is just too powerful to be ignored.. And when you check, hex maniac literally stops everything in a blastoise deck- from keldeo to blastoise to suicune..

Yes but that means you've wasted your supporter that turn, plus it only lasts for one turn. Not very effective, unless you have one to play every single turn, but then again that wouldn't help you either, because you wouldn't be able to play any other supporter, so yeah, Hex maniac, not that big a deal :P

Yes but that means you've wasted your supporter that turn, plus it only lasts for one turn. Not very effective, unless you have one to play every single turn, but then again that wouldn't help you either, because you wouldn't be able to play any other supporter, so yeah, Hex maniac, not that big a deal :P

But of course hex maniac doesn't even mater because you get shiftry donked.

True that this deck pretty dies in both standard and expanded. It has no chance against Shrifty. I agree Hex Maniac is a pain, but it's just a speed bump. The thing about Keldeo/Blastoise decks that I love, is their resiliency. Once Blastoise is out, Superior Energy Retrievals allow you to reload your next Keldeo once the first gets knocked out. I've won a ton of attrition games where I'll give up 2 Keldeos and take out my opponent's main attackers and all their energy investment and them steam roll them with a fully loaded third Keldeo to take the game. Very few decks have this kind of ability to bounce back in the long game. I'm going to miss that strategy.

Been considering what deck I'm going to roll with for new standard. Probably something with Manectric Ex. He's got a good power to energy ratio, not sure what the optimum build is. Could be a variant of some of the Manectric decks that were at World's. You guys have any thoughts?

It was brilliantly constructed and finished both rounds in under 10 mins making it the fastest Worlds Final to-date according to the announcers.

There wasn't a single thing that Toad could do about it as Archie's Blastoise pulled off a Turn 1 Blastoise/fully powered Keldeo each game with ease.  Resulting in fast OHKO's.

Truly a great way to end the season with a deck that rotates out of Standard at the start of the 2016 season!!!

Great way to send off the Deluge deck.  A new take on a potent mechanic.  By no means a simple set up and no matter how well constructed the deck, a little luck and mental gymnastics are required to make it happen, truly for masters of the game.  I'm not sure Mees would have been able to quaking punch, seemed like his set up struggled for bad draws on his first turn.  As the commentators point out, Van W. had to complete his set up in the first turn or playing his hand down and doing any of the other things that make Archie possible: Ultra Ball for Jirachi, Computer Search and Trainer's Mail for an immediately playable card would have been impossible.

Truly, ability lock would make this deck unplayable also, but you only need Blastoise for one turn, really.

So many things make that deck excellent, immunity to special conditions with the double 'Rush In'.

Just that such an elaborate set up was accomplished against the relatively easy set up of Quaking Punch, wow, truly brilliance.

I wonder if the Semi Final Night March deck had had better starts how it would have faired, but the fact he didn't miss Ace in the Hole in any of the games I saw (one on turn 2 all the rest on turn 1) should prove the deck's consistency.  Totally buying the championship deck when it comes out to play for fun.

I love those stage 2's with brilliant abilities, Fandango, Deluge, Mystical Fire, you truly are rewarded for finding a way to make them playable because their effects are so potent.  I was simply glad that it beat the powerful basic with the debilitating attack.

I dunno about Manectric EX, I've always leaned toward ridiculously powerful attacks, I've got to find a new partner for M Manectric, been using Zapdos LTR with Fliptini, I guess Ampharos EX  but I'd be looking for something with a big enough damage output in case you come up against any of the big Megas.  Pikachu EX would be nice, if we ever get it.  You could  Turbo Bolt away, charge up Pikachu EX in case you need a massive KO.  Another Mega might be sticky, but since Manectric EX is an excellent basic I dunno.

Isn't Black Kyurem EX or Yveltal EX the current preferred partners?  I suppose the new Mewtwo EX (Lugia?)  would work. 

I can't help making a comparison to Sceptile EX and M Sceptile, Sceptile EX also has 2 attacks, M Sceptile EX accelerates except not from the discard pile, which means you can draw energy with a supporter and Jagged Sabre or use Professor's Letter, rather than being basically dependent on an item to discard energy (Ultra Ball or Battle Compressor) in order to make it work.  Maybe Manectric EX with Fire or Fighting, so you can use Scorched Earth to your advantage in setting up Turbo Bolt.

I dunno about Manectric EX, I've always leaned toward ridiculously powerful attacks, I've got to find a new partner for M Manectric, been using Zapdos LTR with Fliptini, I guess Ampharos EX  but I'd be looking for something with a big enough damage output in case you come up against any of the big Megas.  Pikachu EX would be nice, if we ever get it.  You could  Turbo Bolt away, charge up Pikachu EX in case you need a massive KO.  Another Mega might be sticky, but since Manectric EX is an excellent basic I dunno.

Isn't Black Kyurem EX or Yveltal EX the current preferred partners?  I suppose the new Mewtwo EX (Lugia?)  would work. 

I can't help making a comparison to Sceptile EX and M Sceptile, Sceptile EX also has 2 attacks, M Sceptile EX accelerates except not from the discard pile, which means you can draw energy with a supporter and Jagged Sabre or use Professor's Letter, rather than being basically dependent on an item to discard energy (Ultra Ball or Battle Compressor) in order to make it work.  Maybe Manectric EX with Fire or Fighting, so you can use Scorched Earth to your advantage in setting up Turbo Bolt.

Yvetal-ex and Toad are the 2 preferred partners, however Manectric-ex and Mega Man can be built by itself without a partner as you can Max Potion, AZ, Scoop Up, Rough Seas ect. to heal damage from one Manectric and use another to retreave the energy discarded and power up another one on the bench while putting in a consistent amount of damage for 2 energy.

If you wanted to keep the energy just {L}, Lugia would work well with Manectric since all its attacks are {C}.  But remember that Manectric-EX Basic can attack very well on its own and doesn't need to always go Mega, you either run Head Ringers or you let your opponent attach their own Tools and you have a 120 attack for 2 energy.

I've added Ampheros to my Manectric deck as it serves like a Cobalion-EX, ignoring abilities to punch through Safe Guard and Pyroar.

Yvetal-ex and Toad are the 2 preferred partners, however Manectric-ex and Mega Man can be built by itself without a partner as you can Max Potion, AZ, Scoop Up, Rough Seas ect. to heal damage from one Manectric and use another to retreave the energy discarded and power up another one on the bench while putting in a consistent amount of damage for 2 energy.

If you wanted to keep the energy just {L}, Lugia would work well with Manectric since all its attacks are {C}.  But remember that Manectric-EX Basic can attack very well on its own and doesn't need to always go Mega, you either run Head Ringers or you let your opponent attach their own Tools and you have a 120 attack for 2 energy.

I've added Ampheros to my Manectric deck as it serves like a Cobalion-EX, ignoring abilities to punch through Safe Guard and Pyroar.

Hey linnell, I've recently made a mega mane deck which seems to be running quite well so I thought I'd give you a few things I found to work well..

1. No need for safeguard counters- you have compressor and vs seeker- hex maniac can take care of the rest

2. Mega mane helps fill up otherwise ridiculous energy costs- giratina can be easily paired up with mega mane.. And even hoopa can be used as a final gambit sniping a pokemon off the bench

Of course you already mentioned the energy stacking stadium destroyer-lugia works quite well in tandem with mega mane- both in presence and absence of giratina

Hey linnell, I've recently made a mega mane deck which seems to be running quite well so I thought I'd give you a few things I found to work well..

1. No need for safeguard counters- you have compressor and vs seeker- hex maniac can take care of the rest

2. Mega mane helps fill up otherwise ridiculous energy costs- giratina can be easily paired up with mega mane.. And even hoopa can be used as a final gambit sniping a pokemon off the bench

Of course you already mentioned the energy stacking stadium destroyer-lugia works quite well in tandem with mega mane- both in presence and absence of giratina

How many Hex Maniac do you run?  I find that most builds of any deck have it as a 1 of and if it ends up prized then you're 1 out over Safeguard (until the rotation on Sept 1) just cost you the game if you don't have anything else that can punch through them.

Of course Safeguard rotates out and we start preping for the 2016 Season but for the last week of the 2015 Season, we can't ignore Safeguard.  I don't know if it's just me but I'm noticing A LOT of players playing as many cards that are going to rotate out as possible...almost as if they are saying good-bye to those cards.

Once things rotate, I won't see any need for Ampheros-EX until a new ability like Safeguard gets introduced into the new format.

There is. . . but on a stage 2, Beautifly then there's Giratina EX's 'Mega Immunity'.  Can't see the one being a huge problem, simply don't Mega Evolve, or watch out for Giant Plant Beautifly.  Neither is anything like Suicune or Sigilyph.

I'm leaning towards PHF Pyroar, the idea of bringing up Shaymin EX over and over for easy KO's is too sweet.  But also abusing M Mane's free retreat to bring in some real firepower like Lugia EX.

Yeah, that was super exciting to watch, the Finals, eh?  It wasn't all drawn out, it's totally reinvigorated my interest in Pokemon.

My current build is Manectric/Mega Man with Yveltal EX. It's fairly good, but Yveltal suffers from Electric weakness, which is bad against all the Raichu/Sky Field and Night March decks running around PTCGO, not to mention other Manectrics. I may add the new Lugia EX (i.e. Mewtwo EX 2.0) as an alternate.

Was also considering a water counterpart (other than Toad – something like Primal Kyogre) that could ***** Mega turbo and also capitalize on Rough Seas synergy, unfortunately there is also a ton of Vespiquen being played right now which kills Water Pokemon with the Grass weakness.

Psychic or Fighting seem like possibilities, but lacking some synergy. Are there any good utility stage 1 or 2 Pokemon in Electric or Dark right now?

I just got beaten quite handily by superpower Golurk, colourless attack cost stage 1...    Double Type and the new eevees made it a savage opponent.  It is psychic and fighting types weak to darkness I believe, probably an excellent option against Raichu or Manectric, whereas against Yveltal or Rayquaza you're winning with Manectric EX.  Lugia EX ought to be weak to electric also don't forget.  Because of double type Golurk can also use strong energy.  But I can't see running strong and double colourless with M Manectric EX, if you ran Jolteon Golurk could also use Rough Seas.

Mega Rayquaza, the Dragon one that uses Lightening and Fire. 4X2 Mega Manectric and 2X2 Mega Rayquaza, with Scorched earth and Blacksmith and Mega Manetric and Mega Turbos. Throw in a couple Dedenne to boot, or just plain old Lugia Ex.

I thought about that, unfortunately Blacksmith won't work on Rayquaza.  I just worried about how often I'd actually get both Megas set up...  You'd probably want 3 Manectric spirit link and at least 2 Rayquaza especially since you want to keep attacking with M Manectric and evolve M Ray.  I dunno, seems too difficult to pull off, at least Manectric  EX's attacks are low cost by comparison to Rayquaza. 

For M Ray 4 Reshiram RSK, Hydreigon EX, lots of switch and 3-4 stadiums, I use Scorched Earth and Memory Shrine, so many because Silent Lab is sooooo bad, it's fun. . .  Lots of Double Dragon Energy and 3-4 Mega Turbos, bench gets awful full since 3 Reshiram, Hydreigon EX and 2 Rayquazas is nice.  I did great until the very end of the ladder.  Enhanced Hammer kind of hurts, or not being able to find Hydreigon, free retreat for the dragons is kind of key.  Against Night March and the Bees it's hard, but with lots of switch and free retreat you can use Reshiram or regular Rayquaza EX (just reset the second attack if you lose the coin toss), which kind of stinks because Mega Turbo is a handy card, it's doable, but both those decks tend to be a great deal faster and require 6 KO's to win against, which can be difficult.

I just got beaten quite handily by superpower Golurk, colourless attack cost stage 1...    Double Type and the new eevees made it a savage opponent.  It is psychic and fighting types weak to darkness I believe, probably an excellent option against Raichu or Manectric, whereas against Yveltal or Rayquaza you're winning with Manectric EX.  Lugia EX ought to be weak to electric also don't forget.  Because of double type Golurk can also use strong energy.  But I can't see running strong and double colourless with M Manectric EX, if you ran Jolteon Golurk could also use Rough Seas.

I ran Superpower Golurk for a while a posted the deck list here under "Superpowered Golurk."  Nice to see hear other players giving it a shot.  Having the ability to cover 5 weakness types is huge {P}{L}{W}{Fire}{Fighting} (censored if used with short letters).  Its draw back is that it take 3-4 energy to use which is ok against most decks but against decks like Speed Queen and Sky Field Raichu that can attack with a single DCE, Golurk was just too slow against them as all 3 decks can easily trade OHKO's against each other yet Speed Queen and Raichu can counter attack much more quickly.  But I find it to be a lot of fun to run.

Archived