Guest PapiDimmi

[CARD] Malamar (XY58) - Banned from Unlimited?

Guest PapiDimmi

Hello.

I'd made a deck revolving around the Black Star XY58 Malamar promo for Unlimited, but now recently said Malamar has been banned and now it has a giant red X just like cards like Lysandre's Trump Card and First Ticket.

I should be used banned cards in Unlimited, right?

Well, I saved the deck. It has just cards that I own, and it has 60 cards.

It still says:

X Theme

X Standard

X Expanded

X Unlimited

I can't even play it in Unlimited. I can't even see it in the deck list in the Versus deck select screen.

SharKing319

This is just a temporary thing relating to some kind of exploit being fixed. Here's the official statement on the matter.

Guest PapiDimmi

This is just a temporary thing relating to some kind of exploit being fixed. Here's the official statement on the matter.

I see, thanks. 

So it's not banned, then? It will be available for Standard use when they've fixed the bug, I assume.

SharKing319

Yep. Once the exploit, whatever it was, has been fixed, Malamar will be available in all formats.

graywh

The bug was that it made your opponent always flip tails for sleep and burn checks, which are supposed to happen *between* turns.  Malamar's ability is only supposed to affect coin flips *during* your opponent's turn.

There's a difference in "banned because of a bug in the programming" and "banned from sanctioned formats (i.e. Standard and Expanded)".

SharKing319

Ah, yeah. I can see how that would be exploited, what with Hypnotoxic Laser, Malamar-EX, and in Unlimited, Houndoom Prime.

Mod_Poplar

Hey there!

As this has received an explanation, I'll be closing this thread. We appreciate your patience until a fix is put into place. :)

NightSpear90

hello pokemon, 

will malamar ever be able to play again? i traded a lot for the promo's and now its a useless card.

i was also wondering if in the future maybe those banned cards can be displayed differenty. i mean those cards are beautiful to watch, even if they are banned. but with that huge red cross on it makes the card very ugly.

i think a lot of players would agree thats its not only a ban but also making the card ugly:p

thanks

matthew69

Hey Nightspear90 :), from my understanding Malamar Promo is in a similar situation to the Slowking Prime card, in that it has a game breaking bug associated with it which has led to it being banned.

Similarly to Slowking Prime, it is assumed that this card will eventually be fixed when the source of the bug is found, and a new patch is created.

How long this will take nobody knows, but it is unlikely to be an indeterminate banning of the card, so it should hopefully be re-introduced back into PVP and the store sometime in the future :).

Edited by matthew69
  • Upvote 1

NightSpear90

thnx bro, 

i hope i can play it one time.

and that the ugly red cross becomes something else:p

Guest PapiDimmi

Why is the Malamar promo still banned for all formats?

The changelog/release notes for the new update of PTCGO specifically said that the bug with Malamar has been fixed.

So the bug is fixed, but the card is still unusable? I don't understand.

If the bug's fixed, why is it still banned?

TPCi_Samhayne

Sorry, we have removed the ban from the Malamar promo card.  

Have fun!

Guest PapiDimmi

Sorry, we have removed the ban from the Malamar promo card.  

Have fun!

Thank you.