Feels Like Pay 2 Play...

cruentos

I feel that the ability to purchase, and receive booster packs needs to be made more feasible. I feel as though casual players are turned off by how difficult it is to gain enough coins to buy booster packs or starter decks, and even further deterred by there only being a brief opportunity to buy full packs of cards, and are forced to settle for 5 card packs that very rarely obtain anything of value. people ultimately have 3 weeks at best to get to 600 coins as many times as possible, which unless you grind for hours a day is probably 2 maybe 3 times at best. This seems like a way of forcing people to purchase the physical cards, which comes off as greedy and a backhanded version of pay2play. i dont personally like to play the physical game i like to play online while I'm trying to kill a few hours at my job which is unconventional at best. Granted in an effort to allow myself to be competitive i have dropped well over $600 on the physical game just to get code cards to better my chances of receiving an ex or ultra rare. 

i dont think casual players (myself included) should be forced to purchase the real cards, or suffer being at a major disadvantage to the people who do. I also dont think we should have to grind to buy booster packs if the chances of getting a good card are just as bad if not worse than getting good cards in the real world.

I feel that the ability to purchase, and receive booster packs needs to be made more feasible. I feel as though casual players are turned off by how difficult it is to gain enough coins to buy booster packs or starter decks, and even further deterred by there only being a brief opportunity to buy full packs of cards, and are forced to settle for 5 card packs that very rarely obtain anything of value. people ultimately have 3 weeks at best to get to 600 coins as many times as possible, which unless you grind for hours a day is probably 2 maybe 3 times at best. This seems like a way of forcing people to purchase the physical cards, which comes off as greedy and a backhanded version of pay2play. i dont personally like to play the physical game i like to play online while I'm trying to kill a few hours at my job which is unconventional at best. Granted in an effort to allow myself to be competitive i have dropped well over $600 on the physical game just to get code cards to better my chances of receiving an ex or ultra rare. 

i dont think casual players (myself included) should be forced to purchase the real cards, or suffer being at a major disadvantage to the people who do. I also dont think we should have to grind to buy booster packs if the chances of getting a good card are just as bad if not worse than getting good cards in the real world.

Hi, i know it is hard for new players to start their collection, but if you started this game in Web-era when it was still on internet browser you would see how far this game came.  I never bought real packs myself, and never paid for this game but now after few years i have nice collection and i can t say that I played this game 24/7 .

So to put it in short. I think this game made big improvment since i started 3-4 years ago, and sure there are still things to improve and what they need for improvement is our money which is totally OK.

And to see progress i'll point out big changes :

Before- no tourney,

no free packs everywhere

i think each game beside first in the day as reward got max 5 tokens ( sry if wrong)

no other way to get tokens then playing for max 5 per game (needed almost week for 95 tokens)

many others...

So do u still think that this game doesnt want to help new players that dont pay for this game?

I think they are doing all they can.

Sorry but I myself have only played 8 months and disagree with you. I usually play for only 1 hour daily. And I don't have a very good collection, but good enough to have playable cards. I have 6000 coins, without buying codes or paying in real life. Its just that I finish my Daily Challenges everyday, Finished Trainer Challenge. Also, getting tokens is easy. Just get a mystery box and get 50 tokens a match. On top of that, open tournament chests. Nothign to brag, its just that I trade like 0% I hardly trade at public :D So that can be a case, but then I do buy Bundles that come in the Shop :)

you can buy ptcgo codes directly online all over the place.  then after you get packs you can trade for cards you want instead of opening them.  $600 spent efficiently (especially if you don't want the physical cards) will easily max you out in this game.

also this game is technically not pay to win.  you can pay $1m and not win world championships.  

It is however a game the caters to your collection instincts, so it can get costly but it is not costly to be competitive.

How did you spend $600? I bought $10 worth of pack codes (no need for physical cards) and was able to trade and build a competitive deck. From there it was all grinding.

Seriously, though, it is pay to play. There's nothing greedy or backhanded about it. Like any online or iOS game there is an in-game economy. Games are designed to be played for free to get people interested, but all games are designed to make money and it is necessary that they do make money to ensure any kind of longevity. It's called monetization of apps. If it does not generate some kind of revenue, game designers wouldn't be able to pay their developers, hosting fees and all the other expenses that go into producing digital games and they would cease to exist.

From my own experience, ************** of PTCGO, this particular game does an outstanding job at supporting the "free play" mode and making it easy for new players to build their collection and put them on the road to building competitive decks. No one is forced to buy physical cards or spend any kind of money on the game. You may choose to invest actual money in the game, if you wish to reach that competitive level faster. But it is entirely your choice, as it was mine.

I can see where cruento is coming from. It not really a pay to win game, but  more of a pay to play I think. There are often cases when a Night march deck will destory my expensive decks.. which is why we see nightmarch all over the place.. I feel like this game could increase the chances for a mystery box pack though! the last 3 days ive been grinding and have not gotten many packs at all from the mystery box :/  It would be really nice if the pack you get from the weekly login was tradable as well :/

I agree, this game is indeed pay-to-win, but at the same time, that's how trading card games have always been. You don't see any poor commoner luck out into becoming a celebrity in the card game scene, do you? Only those who are already very wealthy are the ones who get anything that others only dream of. This kind of corruption applies to every scenario, and this card game is no exception.

Archived