Best card/tech card in Ancient Origin

Brio97

Ancient Origin will come in the next 2 days. In my view, it is one of the best booster pack I have ever seen (I rate booster packs in term of number of good cards they have). So in your point of view, what is the best card/tech card that are so powerful that players may use to strengthen their deck in the next format.

For me, I love ace trainer as it is a supporter that can replace N in the future. But I love Unown the most for its effect.

Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is on your Bench, you may discard this Pokémon and all cards attached to it (this does not count as a Knock Out). If you do, draw a card.

If you have played Yugioh tcg, this card is similar to upstart goblin. 4 unown in your deck help you to make your deck having 50 cards only ( 6 prizes and 4 unown) , giving you a chance to draw the cards you need (especially for speed deck).

However, there are others good cards like volcarona, regice, registell, etc. So give your own opinion to discuss the best card of the set. :)

AO will be a great set, the main tech cards i see being useful are, Vileplume, changing the lock deck format also Giritina helping with that. I feel like hex maniac will be VERY useful as a 1 of in all decks, Ace trainer as a come back replacement for N. i do feel like Unknown will be useless, due to a few reasons,1) speed decks are already super fast.

2) imagine starting unknown, having to waste energy to retreat or wasting a switch to get it out of active. 3) imagine you have 2 pokemon an attacker as active and an unknown, you have no idea what you will draw and it leaves you open to a knockout. I see unknown only being useful for vespiqueen.

My personal top 3:

1. Forest of Giant Plants: I wasn't playing the game yet when Broken TIme Space was around, so I'm pretty excited about the combos that we'll see in the future

2. Unown: As I said, I love combo decks and this little fellow will def. find his way in a good number of turn 1 donk decks.

3. Vileplume: As long as the meta doesn't shift to Vileplume vs. Anti-Vileplume, I'm very happy about this reprint from HGSS.

maybe to me best card is Kyurem EX, cause i love both attack first move attack each foe's and second move the defending foe's can't attack during their turn  :D  :D  :D ....... i hope i can get 1 of them :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

maybe to me best card is Kyurem EX, cause i love both attack first move attack each foe's and second move the defending foe's can't attack during their turn :D  :D  :D ....... i hope i can get 1 of them :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

As a competitive player kyurem is the worst ex to come out of the set, its bulky and its pay off isnt great, also there are way better kyurems that have been printed, Also the 2nd move doesnt gaurentee the disabling of an attack, evolution or switching takes it away

At an analytical standpoint (From what I heard from my friends in Japan, who've been playing with AO for a while now, as well as my play testing group), AO is a very nice set. Here's what I found, in detail:

1) Grass (In particular Vileplume/Ariados) are, despite face value, pretty bad. Sure, you get the item lock with Vileplume, on your opponent, but you also lock yourself, which in any deck is extremely devastating. No matter what you'll try to play, in XY-on (Which is the Standard format when AO becomes legal) You rely on a few key cards- Ultra Ball, VS Seeker and Trainers' Mail. With Ariados, there have become limited uses for. The only grass deck that looks promising is M Sceptile, which already has ability to Poison and Put Sleep on your opponent. 

That being said, M Sceptile and Vespequen has some potential. Giratina EX and Lugia EX look to be the best partners, since Lugia is colorless, it can utelize any energy, so the Grass does well in a colorless attacker deck. Giratina will be nice to have as well, since it requires {G}{P}{C}{C} to attack- in other words, 2 Grass and a DDE.

Vespequen is basically a Flareon PLF, but has multiple-type advantages, with the new Flareon, Jolteon and Vaporeon coming out, which let all Stage 1 be their respective types (Fire for Flareon, Electric for Jolteon and Water for Vaporeon), which means we have an attacker that can hit multiple types for weakness. That will be pretty nice.

2) Dark got considerably better, in the form of M Tyranitar EX. I mean, 110 + 60 for every 1 DAMAGE COUNTER?! That can knock out anything (well, anything within near-infinite HP) The problem is, it's painfully slow- until you consider Yveltal XY and Mega Turbo. Then you realize, maybe this isn't so bad. Wait, you can stick TWO Muscle band on this thing?!

3) Lugia EX has the potental to be great. This is a mix between Mewtwo EX (Aero Ball is the same as X- Ball) and Yveltal (Weakness, resistance), but the second attack is really good. it discards the stadium, and hits for 150, which is really nice when you use this with Areo Ball-ing the previous turn, Knocking anything out within atleast 190 HP range. The downside is, Due to the popularity of M Rayquaza, Electric is Very active in the meta. Things could get a little hairy for this majestic bird.

4) The Trainers rest of the set isn't that good, but there are diamonds in the rough. Spirit links aside, we get Level Ball and SR Trainers' Mail. We can grab the small basics with ease now, and we get a new shiny staple card. There isn't really much left to the set.

Let me know if you think I got something wrong! I'd love to see new ideas and new strategies emerge!

okay I have a few things to say to iron..

mega tyranitar is definitely far better than it looks.. with it you could keep 1 link (if there is a link) and 1 rocky helmet..

with one rocky helmet mega tyranitar's attack goes to 110+20+120= 250 automatically knocking out everything short of a hard charmed wailord..

an alternative to this would be the new "dangerous" energy which counters an ex with 20 damage.. assuming that just like the old special dark energy, it can just be discarded and attached, it brings a new speed to the deck

team magma's secret base.. 20 damage on any basic played.. since your opponent has to play a basic to ******* evolutions out, if you can lock this in, every single pokemon in play gets hit for 250 every time

grass doesn't seem so good at first look, but then again, you have a first turn attacking virizion with the hp of a mega (only disadvantage is that you need energy in hand) but then again which has the effect of a max potion.. if nothing else, that is probably enough to boost grass a few levels

imo unown seems a bit risky.. I mean as a person who usually fills up his bench with pokemon, this card may just pile up in my hand..

also a first turn unown seems a lot worse than a first turn jirachi/ shaymin looking at bulk (one deck it looks good on though would be night march where the already teched in revives can bench it to draw another card)

have we really missed hoopa? is that even possible? I mean imagine having a hoopa in hand.. play and draw ray, mega ray and shaymin.. play em and shaymin, possibly getting another hoopa or shaymin- hoopa is a bulky card which is bench bait.. plus when you can land 3 extra exs with a hoopa, it may be advantageous to the less beneficial exeggcute vs mega pokemon

Unown is awesome, can work great with sacred ash i think, but alone are great

Malamar is a card to put an eye in: 30 damage and a card from discard for a sole dark is pretty nice

Whimsicott can make the Dusknoir form FLF quite good with lysandre and target whistle

Vespiqueen can get a space with the marchers when Mew rotate out

Paint Roller says Hi! to the stadium lock of Ninetales and gives you a card too!!!

Danger energy with Rock Guard or Rocky Helmet on Malamar(AO) or Sableye(DRX) can make serious damage

Gardevoir can help the stall decks a bit

and a few more i didnt pulled yet xD

For me, those are a couple good cards in the expansion (without mention the already good cards in AO)

Why would anyone want to play a Paint Roller when you can just play a counter stadium?

So you can draw a card, then play the counter stadium.

Why would anyone want to play a Paint Roller when you can just play a counter stadium?

To counter Ninetales from Primal Clash mainly, when Ninetales is in play you can't play stadiums so is the closest you'll be to beat it. It also can help you in the stadium war, when each player have 4 stadiums having Paint Roller can really help you out to be one step ahead.

So far, unown has proved to be one of the best texh cards for many decks. With the rise of shiftry (I hate it), unown helps rising speed for the deck. And up to now, I love Hoopa ex while playing in Ray deck :)

So you can draw a card, then play the counter stadium.

To counter Ninetales from Primal Clash mainly, when Ninetales is in play you can't play stadiums so is the closest you'll be to beat it. It also can help you in the stadium war, when each player have 4 stadiums having Paint Roller can really help you out to be one step ahead.

Paint Roller makes a lot more sense now. Thanks! :)

Archived