Trouble Beating Anyone

Greedalox

Oh hello! I started playing a couple nights ago and I decided to make my first little deck with a few of the cards I've won. I take it to fight a few other players and for the past 6 hours I think I've won once legitly, every other time was people forfeiting turn one or timing out. However, it's mainly consisted of horrendous losses where turn 3 or 4 I'm pretty much put in a situation that I can't be saved from, and in those 3 or 4 turns they spend quite a few minutes each simply building up the 3-4 Ex cards they throw down turn one.

My one legit win was against someone with similar cards, consisting of what appeared to be no Legendary, no Ex and maybe 1 or 2 fully evolved pokemon. So what I am asking is if there is an option to fight newer players as well? Possibly people who are not already immensely decked out with amazing cards. I found myself losing my temper under my breath just trying to find a match that I could have any hope of winning, and I consider myself to be a patient person.

Am I destined to simply fight AI? That doesn't sound very appealing to me in a card game, especially when they repeatedly retreat over and over removing all their energy cards and then continue doing nothing. I really like the game but I'm at a point in my life where I haven't a lot of money in excess to be spending on card games, so that's not an option.

I don't get it. Random matches used to pair me with decks very much on the same level.  It wasn't until I won consistently and had decks featuring multiple copies of EX's that I was thrust into more competitive matches.  It wasn't until I started to play tournaments that I realized how out matched I am against the large majority of players since no ranking system determined my opponents: only the decks tournament entrants brought.  I did well with decks made out of pillaged theme decks, when I play those same decks now against opponents in Random or whatever I am annihilated like you described, maybe not many newer players are online and the matchups available are 'bad'?  I dunno, the match up system has changed dramatically several times since I began playing, but it seemed 'fair' at one time and got progressively more difficult as my decks and play improved.

Oh hello! I started playing a couple nights ago and I decided to make my first little deck with a few of the cards I've won. I take it to fight a few other players and for the past 6 hours I think I've won once legitly, every other time was people forfeiting turn one or timing out. However, it's mainly consisted of horrendous losses where turn 3 or 4 I'm pretty much put in a situation that I can't be saved from, and in those 3 or 4 turns they spend quite a few minutes each simply building up the 3-4 Ex cards they throw down turn one.

My one legit win was against someone with similar cards, consisting of what appeared to be no Legendary, no Ex and maybe 1 or 2 fully evolved pokemon. So what I am asking is if there is an option to fight newer players as well? Possibly people who are not already immensely decked out with amazing cards. I found myself losing my temper under my breath just trying to find a match that I could have any hope of winning, and I consider myself to be a patient person.

Am I destined to simply fight AI? That doesn't sound very appealing to me in a card game, especially when they repeatedly retreat over and over removing all their energy cards and then continue doing nothing. I really like the game but I'm at a point in my life where I haven't a lot of money in excess to be spending on card games, so that's not an option.

Visit New player Guide for the help of new players. Click on the 'New Player Guide in my signature to reach there. It will help you for sure. And the period you are crossing through is very obvious. It happens to everyone, but the thing is, complete the trainer challenge, do daily challenge and get more cards to improve. Thats the only way. For more tips do visit the guide :)

At least you didn't have anyone be rude and disgustingly mean to you. When I first started the online and played some vs matches I would get the meanest people that would say "lol your deck is horrible" "god your deck sucks" "get a better deck yours is lame". I did the same thing where I tweaked the them decks to be standard playable. The only reason I have good cards now is because I took the hundreds of code cards we have collected from my kids playing IRL and redeemed them. 

But even now I get smarty pants people that tell me good game when they have 2 prize cards left and I have 6 thinking they are going to win on the next turn but finally a good draw gets me what I need and then I work my way down to having 2 prize left as well, and then after all that work.....they concede.

Just keep trying, tweak the deck you have each time you get new trainers or something and try to work yourself up to the ex's that they give out in the versus ladder. Then you will have something to build a good deck around to win more stuff. 

Three weeks ago I found myself in a similiar situation, being frustrated over the thousands of long-time-players I didn't stand a chance. But believe me, battling through the AI for new cards and playing versus mode over and over again until you finally have the crads needed to make your first "win-streaks" - it's worth it.

I understand that it's hard to keep going, but remember that everyone of the players has struggled your issue. But that's life!

Patience and strategic play will bring you the fun once you play this game for longer than a week - believe me ;)

Focus on theme tournaments to start. Play the theme tournaments that get you tournament tokens the week the entry is coins and load up on tokens. Then when the tournaments rotate weekly, use the tokens to enter theme tournaments for packs. Even using Mental Might you can score some good wins/packs. Just a few packs can get you some good ex cards and you're well on your way to standard games!

I originally typed up a short essay but the short answer is...

...you goofed.

When you've got that early, beginner card pool, those early decks you build are basically for Unranked Versus play: befriend some other new players or find friends among more experienced players with better card pools that are willing to run a deck on your level.  While the game tries to match you up as best it can, it only has so much to work with and probably a built in time limit for how long it is allowed to search.

When you want to earn rewards, stick to Theme Deck mode.  It is what most of us had to do; now I've got a decent card pool that allows me to at least make an attempt at most decks, but I've been at this for about two years (I signed up sooner, but my computer couldn't handle it before then).  I also got some great advice on how to trade shrewdly (shrewdly = / = ripping people off), I learned when the best time of day was for me to try and how to save up my non-Trade Locked boosters to get the actual cards I needed for the Budget Decks (decks that can compete in real life tournaments but don't require as many expensive cards).  Then I started grinding in the Standard Format play.

Some people do simply cash in on codes (or spend actual money) to hit the ground running; if they've got the money to spend that sounds like a good deal to me (it supports the game!).  Me?  I can only play because the PTCGO really is free-to-play.  I played the real life game since 1999 but I've hit some hard financial times while also realizing I had my real-life priorities messed up, so I made myself sell off my old collection (and... not for much because there was a time factor).  So starting from scratch here, I'm not at the point where I can build current popular decks with my available card pool.  Sometimes it'll take a bit to get an older card I don't already have (or enough copies of a less used card), but I can get it done. :)

TL;DR: Yes it is frustrating when match-ups are like that.  The main thing is though to stick to the Theme Deck mode until you have a coherent deck where even if you're using mostly cards that are seen as too weak for competitive play, the deck is still "functional" in a manner that looks like what you would see in competitive play (just with better cards).  Unless you want to start spending money, it'll be at least a few months before you can field a real-life tournament caliber deck.  For now, focus on the Theme deck mode and learning how to trade well. :)

Archived