overly slow opponents :(

RoseBlackBones

I don't know if its just me, but some times when I'm playing verses I play people who every turn go afk till the count down appears then poof there back.... and they keep doing it till you get really bored and quit the match, also people do this when you look like your going to win the game xD,

so I was thinking instead of repeatedly doing the 15 second count down you could change it so it just ends their turn cause if they can't be bothered to play the game they should be the one who losses.

Parents play the game. I can tell you, time and again, my little ones interrupt me during a battle plenty of times. Sure, my opponent's get mad at me, but I can't do anything about it. They come first.

However, there are people that stall the clock when their losing, so they can hopefully annoy you enough to quit. This is the problem at hand.

I bring up both groups because, if a decision is made, the update effects a ton of players either way. I'm not sure if the people in charge of PTCGO are going to do anything, since the parent group are substantially larger than the stalling group. Only time will tell.

I think a good solution is to have 15' for each player (like in the tournament mode) instead of 30'. I have played a lot of games and never used 15', neither me or my opponent.

Or a way to report the 'stalling' issue would be nice. A way to report in game rather than the very long and round about way we have now. 

While I'm positive it's rule breaking to use it to stall out a match, it's next to impossible to prove unless you're recording your matches. 

I agree with the parent above and an owner of a company. Family and business has priority. Granted, I try to play when it is "my" time but things happen. One of the reasons I love and play and pay for this game is that flexibility. Something realtime (like WoW) was impossible.

Stalling so you quit is just plain wrong. All I can say, is concede and move along in a vs. . You time is valuable too.

Just hope some of you get the old people's perspective  ;)

Well, when I am am playing versus in PTCGO, i usually just play my turn, and start playing a different game, so for me, although i do not do it to bore your opponent out, but still sometimes i make my opponents wait unintentionally, and also if a player is stalling time, he himself is wasting his own time, so i think that the stalling majority is just about less than 5% which can be an exception.

I think it's beneficial to re-post here my comment in a similar thread:

"As a disabled player it'll make my game experience extremely difficult. If I type or my hand is weak I get the message few times. Find a way to punish the time wasters, not the physically weak people."

Sometimes I reach the last 3 minutes in a tournament match not due stalling/slow thinking, just because my hand isn't positioned well on my mouse or its too cold to move. I can't call for help, because it happens at 2:00~4:00 am and I won't wake up my parents for this. I just ignore the few players not patient.

I do under stand that a lot of the time people have one slow turn because of distractions, I do too like if i really need to pee xD, i am only refuring to the players who intentionally do it, most of the time i have netfilx on and im not really paying much attention to the game and don't mind a slow player, even then i still get super bored waiting, just at the mo most games I'm in i get lumped with someone who is trying to get me to quit, if i do go with the quit if there slow idea ill quit mostly every game xD, I just think for the purpose of stopping the people who like goading people in to quitting we need some way to report them.

I play this game for fun and would like to enjoy it but it can be hard with players like this.

I've had games where I am sure the opponent is determined to take as long as possible and a game end with 20 minutes still on my clock and less than 5 on theirs and several times where the inactive timer will come up just for them to hit "still here" and then come up again. Honestly, people who have that time come up multiple times in one game need some kind of reprimand and if nothing is done, then suspension.

I think it's beneficial to re-post here my comment in a similar thread:

"As a disabled player it'll make my game experience extremely difficult. If I type or my hand is weak I get the message few times. Find a way to punish the time wasters, not the physically weak people."

Sometimes I reach the last 3 minutes in a tournament match not due stalling/slow thinking, just because my hand isn't positioned well on my mouse or its too cold to move. I can't call for help, because it happens at 2:00~4:00 am and I won't wake up my parents for this. I just ignore the few players not patient.

[Content removed - please keep all discussion respectful and constructive. -Mod. Poplar]

I occassionally do stall the game when it looks like I'm going to lose, but only until the game time reaches 5 minutes so I get the prize wheel (and only if that'll only take a minute). But I always concede or finish the game once the five minutes is up. I just don't like that if the game lasts less than 5 minutes I get nothing out of it.

I occassionally do stall the game when it looks like I'm going to lose, but only until the game time reaches 5 minutes so I get the prize wheel (and only if that'll only take a minute). But I always concede or finish the game once the five minutes is up. I just don't like that if the game lasts less than 5 minutes I get nothing out of it.

You do realize that most games are decided by the 15 minute mark and that wasting that 10-15 minutes could have got you a win by then earning you more than what the 10+ minutes you just waste right?

I've had games where I am sure the opponent is determined to take as long as possible and a game end with 20 minutes still on my clock and less than 5 on theirs and several times where the inactive timer will come up just for them to hit "still here" and then come up again. Honestly, people who have that time come up multiple times in one game need some kind of reprimand and if nothing is done, then suspension.

[REMOVED]

I study between 00:00-03:00 AM, and I start a tournament rarely, but only when I feel good. But sometimes my hand moves a bit. It's not every game (if it was, why would I play to suffer?) and people should accept others, unless I don't act at all for long period, which doesn't happen. Also, I breath better during the night better than during the morning.

You had a logical point, but too harsh and and with not enough information to rely on.

You do realize that most games are decided by the 15 minute mark and that wasting that 10-15 minutes could have got you a win by then earning you more than what the 10+ minutes you just waste right?

If the game's been running for a minute or two, I won't bother waiting for the five minute mark. It's if I've been playing my best and it's clear I'm going to be knocked out with just a minute or so left to go for five minutes that I'll wait. And I always let the other player know that's why I'm hanging about through a message. I don't mind doing the same for other players, and I'd rather get a few tokens than nothing. And I'm talking about five minutes total game time (my time and the opponent's) so it doesn't take too much of anyone's time.

I never understood why people are so upset at others taking their time. It's an approximate 25 minute game. It clearly states on the count down clock. Not only that, but the online game is to strengthen real life tournament play -- that is why the clock is less online then in tournament play. Also, sometimes in tournament play, stalling a game is an appropriate tactic.

If pokemon wants to change the play action, it should not be done by punishment, but by rewards. If game play ends earlier, than the average play time, -- they'll need to do research on that -- both opponents should receive extra token rewards. (How many is up to them)

In my opinion, because I play real life tournament play, I don't find it annoying at all. People have disabilities, kids and are consistently trying out new decks online for real life tournament play. It also might be used as a tactic to win the game. Usually, those whom are rushing the game have not given themselves the allotted time to play a single match. The allotted time is 25 minutes.

Inadvertently, by rushing an opponent you are trying to intimidate them. In real tournament you would be warned, and than, if it is done again, you would be disqualified. Having driven 100 miles to play in a city, state, or regional you quickly learn that there is great sacrifice and risk to this behavior. Being an online only player the concept does not quite sink in because most believe no one is monitoring.

However, if abused like this, you can export your logs out, and send them over to pokemon. No one should have to go through this because of another players bad planning.

My belief is that Pokemon is truly about patience and empathy which will open doors to friendship. In the end, I'll take a friend over a win. :D

I never understood why people are so upset at others taking their time. It's an approximate 25 minute game. It clearly states on the count down clock. Not only that, but the online game is to strengthen real life tournament play -- that is why the clock is less online then in tournament play. Also, sometimes in tournament play, stalling a game is an appropriate tactic.

If pokemon wants to change the play action, it should not be done by punishment, but by rewards. If game play ends earlier, than the average play time, -- they'll need to do research on that -- both opponents should receive extra token rewards. (How many is up to them)

In my opinion, because I play real life tournament play, I don't find it annoying at all. People have disabilities, kids and are consistently trying out new decks online for real life tournament play. It also might be used as a tactic to win the game. Usually, those whom are rushing the game have not given themselves the allotted time to play a single match. The allotted time is 25 minutes.

Inadvertently, by rushing an opponent you are trying to intimidate them. In real tournament you would be warned, and than, if it is done again, you would be disqualified. Having driven 100 miles to play in a city, state, or regional you quickly learn that there is great sacrifice and risk to this behavior. Being an online only player the concept does not quite sink in because most believe no one is monitoring.

However, if abused like this, you can export your logs out, and send them over to pokemon. No one should have to go through this because of another players bad planning.

My belief is that Pokemon is truly about patience and empathy which will open doors to friendship. In the end, I'll take a friend over a win. :D

Well said, so true for the prudent thinking players.

there's taking your time to think and trying to get people to quit. like this morning i played a guy who didn't put any pokemon in he deck, so i was just being shown his hand and pressing the OK button till i got bored and quit, i will admit i play very fast but its not like i'm getting annoyed at people who are clearly taking there time thinking about there move, I don't mind that. but having the inactive player thing come up again and again is very frustrating and that is all im refuring to people who are trying to make you quit that game so they get some points for it. with the newish edition of the verses challenge, I know from experians with players quitting as soon as the game starts I still get 10ish points for the win, it happens more now because of it.

The only time I get the timer warning is if I am looking through my deck for 2 cards to get with teammates. Sometimes I am looking for a specific card and run through my list a couple times to make sure I didn't miss it. Sometimes I back out of the screen to see if my opponent has any special energies or tools to see if a megaphone or enhanced hammer would help me out, or to look at their bench to see if lysandre would help.

However, I am also a parent and sometimes my kids will ask me something and I will forget to look at the screen, but if they ask me to do something away from the computer I let my daughter take over for me, she is old enough to handle it and plays the regular card game. 

The thing that annoys me the most when I play online is when people quit without even trying. I get people who quit before we even get through each of our first turns, or people who quit once you take 1 prize card, or people who quit because they ******** your dragon energy and you happened to have another to put on your turn or you hammer their energy and they don't have one to put on. Especially if I am trying to complete the trainer challenge and people quitting prevents me from doing that. And I put full effort into creating a good deck for each challenge type and not just playing junk.

Yesterday I was trying to test out a mew ex -less night march deck and as soon as they saw I put out a pumpkaboo and joltik they quit. And that happened multiple times.

I study between 00:00-03:00 AM, and I start a tournament rarely, but only when I feel good. But sometimes my hand moves a bit. It's not every game (if it was, why would I play to suffer?) and people should accept others, unless I don't act at all for long period, which doesn't happen. Also, I breath better during the night better than during the morning.

You had a logical point, but too harsh and and with not enough information to rely on.

[Content removed - please keep all discussion respectful and constructive. -Mod. Poplar]

25 minutes on each clock would put it at a 50 minute game though I guess it wouldn't really be 50 minutes since you would not be the slow on if your complaining. However, while, I do agree that if it is a tournament where you drive 100 miles to play, then yeah, by all means take your time because you are playing for a real prize that will actually have meaning. Also if you try to rush your opponent, then yeah, I can see you getting a warning.

But this is not that, this is you playing with some random person for something with no meaning for the fun of it and when you have people that just take a million years to do whatever because they are a sore loser, or they just lack respect to concede when something happens or they just multi-task and have this running in the background, then they should be the one punished. Not the ones being "impatient". It is one thing when playing in real life as there is a much larger social aspect that you can get where as playing online, a large people don't use the chat or even even know about the chat feature. And even then, it still will not be even close to what you can do in real life and you will rarely ever make a friend playing a silent chat box game.

It is not fun sitting in front of a computer screen while watching an inactivety time pop up only to go away at the 5 second mark multiple times a game. People will waste time, people will multitask or whatever. [Removed]

You're suggesting a world where only the "strong" people are important and counted. If I finish a long and tough match with 2-3 minutes less on the timer than my opponent, and we both enjoy a great match, is it such a disaster?

You're suggesting a world where only the "strong" people are important and counted. If I finish a long and tough match with 2-3 minutes less on the timer than my opponent, and we both enjoy a great match, is it such a disaster?

Today I had someone concede on the 3rd turn for no reason. I used trainers mail to get skyla to find something (didn't even take very long) then used that professors letter to get 2 energies, put them on my special trait swampert (the one with growth) and then I went to use his dive ability to put a card on top of the deck they conceded. I don't know whether they did it because I had 4 energy on swampert. They had suicune out so I am not even sure if that would have killed him and he had something big on the bench, The whole time couldn't have been long, I never even got the timer pop up. The whole concept of having the search cards and the search pokemon is to set up, if someone can't handle that why even bother. 

[REMOVED]

I agree with you, but already said it's not my case. I don't need any help 90% or more of the time, and when I needed (1-2 instances max) it was only in 2nd-final match (after waiting long time between rounds, yet I played every turn as fast I could, never very long time per turn), and since I am much more careful before entering a tournament so it won't happen again.

:)

@sampsonj by making assumptions of what you believe people are doing, you in affect are trying to dictate game style because they don't fit your mold. In a way, you are displaying an extreme bias that is a bit contrary to the overall game beliefs of Pokemon. 

Pokemon as the company has the time limit. If they want to adjust the time limit, than the players will change their game style. But, currently, pokemon believes the time limits are appropriate. Which, as a player you should accept. If you don't accept it, than yelling at other players to speed up their game style is not coherent with current game beliefs.

The best thing is for you to do is complain to Pokemon. The worst possible thing to do is try to intimidate your opponent to mold to your bias of playing. Because, in honesty, the game is not about your dispositions, or anyone dispositions, the game is currently about having a 25 minute game.

Honestly, Pokemon has never punished people for extreme bias thinking, based on their history, they have incentive people into playing with a different style. If your intentions are to ensure that everybody plays with your speed, than you should really take it up with them. For me though, I'm find with waiting, and not making assumptions about the opponents current dispositions. Together, we have twenty-five minutes to figure it out.

Archived