What really goes into MMR/game advantage?

Patriarch

Usually the people you pair against have a higher ELO than you, and are therefore awarded the advantage. I get that, and it's cool.

However, sometimes I play against decks that are inconceivable to me as being capable of having a higher ELO than me on my worst day. We're talking Oshawott/Wingull. And it's obviously not someone experienced who's merely messing around with the deck generator, either.

So my question is...what exactly determines the in-game advantage? I remember a PTCGO staff member once saying that it wasn't just ELO, but the total number of wins a deck has earned. If that's the case, then a guy with an obviously bad Oshawott/Wingull deck with a 1,000/4,000 (25%) W/L ratio could still have the advantage against my 79.8% Seismitoad/Yveltal.

Usually the people you pair against have a higher ELO than you, and are therefore awarded the advantage. I get that, and it's cool.

However, sometimes I play against decks that are inconceivable to me as being capable of having a higher ELO than me on my worst day. We're talking Oshawott/Wingull. And it's obviously not someone experienced who's merely messing around with the deck generator, either.

So my question is...what exactly determines the in-game advantage? I remember a PTCGO staff member once saying that it wasn't just ELO, but the total number of wins a deck has earned. If that's the case, then a guy with an obviously bad Oshawott/Wingull deck with a 1,000/4,000 (25%) W/L ratio could still have the advantage against my 79.8% Seismitoad/Yveltal.

I do think the advantage thing is a bit unpredictable and doesnt work  sometimes. Im thinking it gave him the advantage is  due to amount of item cards and energy hes got, but your more likely going to win due to your deck.

At this point I'm pretty sure the advantage coin is purely random.

I have experienced the same issue as Patriarch over the course of the last weeks, where I played with my 87% 300ish games Blastoise deck in Unlimited and got paired against absolute beginners multiple times, who also got the advantage in a peculiar number of cases, which show not only the lack of match making, but the sheer randomness of that advantage coin.

lol I have found decks that I makes for Daily Challenge, particularly evolutions, will get the advantage emblem when the deck has absolutely 0 energy in it and only Trainers that either search Pokemon, evolve Pokemon or scoop them up to evolve them again.

tell me how I'm supposed to win if I'm not stalling like a Wailord and have 0 energy?  lol answer is you don't, the deck wasn't meant to win by any means so why it has the advantage over a deck built to win is beyond me.

Archived