Feedback - Dev Update: Ancient Origins, Deck List Sharing and Client 2.30

TPCi_Samhayne

One crucial note: You should add rephrase to title to "deck list sharing", unless you want to hype up people for no good reason, because "deck sharing" does usually spark a different idea in most players heads.

Other than that I see some initial problems for the import function. First of all the game has a clear cut between FA and non-FA versions of a card due to the set number, however I see no way to distinguish between a rev. foil and a regular version of a card which could be bothersome for a lot of players, who want to use this tool as an easy way to store and share deck lists.

Speaking of sharing, what happens if I have the card, but not from the same set as the deck list (i.e. Level Ball from AOS and NXD, FA and non-Fa versions, etc.) ? Do I have to fill the empty spaces by hand ?

While I like the idea on the surface, I'd wish that you focus your attention on stomping bugs and maybe present us with an updated that doesn't add more bugs to the client (I play with invisible Eggsegcutes for the past 2 weeks now).

Excellent addition; its definitely something that's been on my wishlist. The only question I have: is it possible to do the reverse and have a sandbox mode for deckbuilding only? Maybe not in this update, but in a future one. Makes things a little easier to visualize sometimes rather than looking at a list.

Nice update ! It will help a lot in completeing my any deck . And decks can be shared more easily than ever before . Just wanted a add-on in this , if it becomes possible to share created decks with other players in-game and further they can obtain not owned cards to complete the decks :) .

I like the ideas implemented here, but I'm still foggy how this "Sharing" works. I'm sure you'll find out on the update.

I like the ideas implemented here, but I'm still foggy how this "Sharing" works. I'm sure you'll find out on the update.

You copy your deck to the clipboard, paste in onto word, on the forums or whereever and then people can copy your deck and import the text file in-game.

reformatting the cards in the original theme decks had better make it so that these decks cannot be played in theme play... just saying

OMG Import deck!  This was a feature I really felt like was missing.  Testing decks I see online will be 200% easier now :)

Other than that I see some initial problems for the import function. First of all the game has a clear cut between FA and non-FA versions of a card due to the set number, however I see no way to distinguish between a rev. foil and a regular version of a card which could be bothersome for a lot of players, who want to use this tool as an easy way to store and share deck lists.

Speaking of sharing, what happens if I have the card, but not from the same set as the deck list (i.e. Level Ball from AOS and NXD, FA and non-Fa versions, etc.) ? Do I have to fill the empty spaces by hand ?

While I like the idea on the surface, I'd wish that you focus your attention on stomping bugs and maybe present us with an updated that doesn't add more bugs to the client (I play with invisible Eggsegcutes for the past 2 weeks now).

There is indeed a separate entry for every version of every card from every expansion in the game's database. However, there are also meta-tags on each entry that links it to the entry for every other version of that card. This system is already used to prevent adding more than 4 Professor Juniper cards to a deck, and to allow a Potion card from HeartGold & SoulSilver to be used in a Standard-legal deck. The deck list sharing feature uses the existing meta-tags to automatically replace versions of cards in a deck list that you don't have with versions that you do have. The only point that you should see the placeholder version of a card is if you don't have any version of that card.

New feature development and gameplay bugs are handled by different groups within the development team. The gameplay guys have been hard at work squashing stuff like the Exeggcute bug. Unfortunately, that specific issue can't be fixed with a server update; it requires an updated game client. Client updates are a much longer process than server updates, especially since we have to submit the iPad version to Apple for review before it can be released. Our bug database shows that a fix for the Exeggcute bug is part of the 2.30 release, which is slated for August 12th.

There is indeed a separate entry for every version of every card from every expansion in the game's database. However, there are also meta-tags on each entry that links it to the entry for every other version of that card. This system is already used to prevent adding more than 4 Professor Juniper cards to a deck, and to allow a Potion card from HeartGold & SoulSilver to be used in a Standard-legal deck. The deck list sharing feature uses the existing meta-tags to automatically replace versions of cards in a deck list that you don't have with versions that you do have. The only point that you should see the placeholder version of a card is if you don't have any version of that card.

New feature development and gameplay bugs are handled by different groups within the development team. The gameplay guys have been hard at work squashing stuff like the Exeggcute bug. Unfortunately, that specific issue can't be fixed with a server update; it requires an updated game client. Client updates are a much longer process than server updates, especially since we have to submit the iPad version to Apple for review before it can be released. Our bug database shows that a fix for the Exeggcute bug is part of the 2.30 release, which is slated for August 12th.

Can you enable ability share the deck list on the forums?

Can you enable ability share the deck list on the forums?

The export feature copies the deck to your clipboard. You can then paste it into pretty much anything, including a forum post. So long you don't change any of the formatting, anyone can then copy the deck list from the forum post to their clipboard and import it into the game. Here's an example of what an exported deck list looks like when pasted into a forum post:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 18

2 Manectric-EX PHF 23

1 Bunnelby PRC 121

2 Crobat PHF 33

4 Zubat PLS 53

3 Golbat PHF 32

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77

4 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20

Trainer Cards - 34

2 Lysandre FLF 90

3 N DEX 96

3 Super Scoop Up FFI 100

4 Hypnotoxic Laser PLS 123

4 Ultra Ball FLF 99

1 Xerosic PHF 110

2 Virbank City Gym PLS 126

2 Colress PLS 118

1 AZ PHF 91

2 Head Ringer Team Flare Hyper Gear PHF 97

4 Professor Sycamore XY 122

2 Muscle Band XY 121

1 Rock Guard PLF 108

3 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 8

4 Lightning Energy XY 135

4 Double Colorless Energy XY 130

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Now that is the kind of feedback I'd wish to see more often on the forums. Clear and straight to the point, thank you very much.

Just tell me that besides the Exeggcute bug you also fixed the visual display of the rev. foil cards, as they currently look way worse than they used to.

Just tell me that besides the Exeggcute bug you also fixed the visual display of the rev. foil cards, as they currently look way worse than they used to.

I actually filed a bug report for the foil issue last week.

Backstory: Prior to the 2.29 update every foil card in the game used the same foil pattern. In some cases, this made it all but impossible for a player to differentiate between the different foil versions of the same card. For example, the foil effect for both the rare holo and theme deck holo versions of Serperior (BLW 5) located inside the card's art box, but the physical versions of use different foil patterns.

It appears that some of the new foil patterns that we implemented in the 2.29 update are a bit too "bright". I'm not sure that we'll be able to get them tuned up for the 2.30 update, but they're definitely on the list of things to get fixed.

What really bothers me is the current visual representation of the reverse foil cards. Prior to the update, the foil effect would run smoothly through the card, which created a beautiful look, especially if your entire field/hand/discard pile was full of them.

After the update the motion seems to shutter and I can sometimes hardly tell the difference between the rev foil version, and the regular version of the card.

The export feature copies the deck to your clipboard. You can then paste it into pretty much anything, including a forum post. So long you don't change any of the formatting, anyone can then copy the deck list from the forum post to their clipboard and import it into the game. Here's an example of what an exported deck list looks like when pasted into a forum post:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 18

2 Manectric-EX PHF 23

1 Bunnelby PRC 121

2 Crobat PHF 33

4 Zubat PLS 53

3 Golbat PHF 32

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77

4 Seismitoad-EX FFI 20

Trainer Cards - 34

2 Lysandre FLF 90

3 N DEX 96

3 Super Scoop Up FFI 100

4 Hypnotoxic Laser PLS 123

4 Ultra Ball FLF 99

1 Xerosic PHF 110

2 Virbank City Gym PLS 126

2 Colress PLS 118

1 AZ PHF 91

2 Head Ringer Team Flare Hyper Gear PHF 97

4 Professor Sycamore XY 122

2 Muscle Band XY 121

1 Rock Guard PLF 108

3 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 8

4 Lightning Energy XY 135

4 Double Colorless Energy XY 130

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I thought there will be a Deck Management Feature. Where players can put certain in their custom made folders to help organize.

What really bothers me is the current visual representation of the reverse foil cards. Prior to the update, the foil effect would run smoothly through the card, which created a beautiful look, especially if your entire field/hand/discard pile was full of them.

After the update the motion seems to shutter and I can sometimes hardly tell the difference between the rev foil version, and the regular version of the card.

One of the other things that I noticed about the new foil animations is that the intensity of the foil effect seems to change based on the location of your mouse. On my PC the foil effect looks most intense while the mouse is in the lower right quadrant of the screen, with lessening degrees of brightness elsewhere. The more (and faster) you move the mouse around the screen, the more pronounced the "shutter" appears. I reported that issue at the same time I reported the overly bright foil effect on parallel foil cards.

One of the other things that I noticed about the new foil animations is that the intensity of the foil effect seems to change based on the location of your mouse. On my PC the foil effect looks most intense while the mouse is in the lower right quadrant of the screen, with lessening degrees of brightness elsewhere. The more (and faster) you move the mouse around the screen, the more pronounced the "shutter" appears. I reported that issue at the same time I reported the overly bright foil effect on parallel foil cards.

Ok, so I cheeked the rev. foil effect both in game and in my collection, using various mouse positions: Top Left (TL) Top Right (TR) Bottom Left (Bl) Bottom Right (BR) Centre ©

Collection: Trainer cards

zoomed in:

TL = almost no foil effect, barely seen at the top of the card (around the trainer logo)

TR = no foil effect at all, not even around the trainer logo

C = moderate foil effect, mostly on the right side of the card

BL = full foil effect on the entire card

BR = moderate foil effect ( same result as in C)

note: the rev. foil effect on the newer cards (tested Dark Patch, Mega Turbo, Silver Bangle, Enhanced Hammer etc.) seems usually weaker than the one on the old cards (could only test Copy Cat as I don't own more HGSS art rev foils).

Collection: Pokemon

zoomed in:

TL + TR = moderate foil effect over the entire card

BL + BR + C = foil effect over the entire card

Collection: Energy

zoomed in:

TL + TR = almost no foil effect

C = moderate foil effect

BL = full foil effect

BR = almost full foil effect

In game:

Discard Pile ( positions taken for the discard pile as a whole, not on a single card):

TL = a slight foil effect is seen

TR = no foil effect in sight

C = moderate foil effect

BL = full foil effect

BR = moderate foil effect

Playing Field ( again, talking about the entire field as a whole):

TL + TR+ C = a slight foil effect is seen for the cards in play, non for the cards in hand

BL + BR = a slight foil effect is seen for the cards in my hand, but almost non for the cards in play

So my testing ended with the following results:

1. The foil effect is indeed based on the position of the mouse

2. Due to this fact, it's almost impossible to get the full effect on the cards in play

3. If you don't move around like a maniac there is almost no point in playing with rev. foil cards

4. The discard pile still looks beautiful, but only if you move your mouse around.

I have no idea if this method was used before to display the rev. foil cards, but I doubt it, because as far as I can recall the motion would run smoothly across the cards, without any help of the player ( by wavering the mouse all around). Most importantly, the effect would run on different stages on different cards, which I personally find very appealing.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought there will be a Deck Management Feature. Where players can put certain in their custom made folders to help organize.

Yes, I was hoping that we would get this feature as well.  Another feature would be more sorting features when selecting decks in the VS mode.  Right now you can select the deck type, but if you only have one card from another type in your deck then the system would view that as a valid criteria to make it a certain deck type.  

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to say thank you for listening to the fans when it comes to features like this. I was very glad to see you implement this after asking for it a few months ago.

The implementation of the deck list sharing feature actually covers two of my previous requests "Deck Creation with unowned cards" and "Export - Import Decks". So I just wanted to say thanks again and keep up the good work on the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I was VERY underwhelmed by this. Certainly you can implement a better way to share deck lists WITHIN the program, or at the very least, auto generate an email send to someone containing the list. This is not deck list sharing so much as clipboard dumps...

Intuitively this implementation would have seen the export button be a "share with friend" button, sending over the list to a friend on your friends list. The friend would receive an in game notification - "BoSS MoSSBerG has shared a deck with you! Click to view it", and would be redirected to the deck builder with the list loaded. As it stands right now this is not going to replace better, more convenient online options. Which is a shame.

Archived