Would These Be Magnificent Typings For A New Generation's Starters?

Winxtrainer13

Grass/Fairy

Fire/Electric

Water/Dragon

If the next main series game was a new region and new story, would you be happy with these typings for new starter Pokemon?

Bonus question: What typings would you create, if you worked for Pokemon?

Hey there!

Grass/Fairy would be awesome! Grass starters are usually my favorite, so I'm sure I'd love it. :) I'd love a Bug/Dragon personally, just because I think it would be interesting!

I would like to see a water/psychic type starter. There are not many of those. At the moment, Lugia is the only one I can think of.

I would like to see a water/psychic type starter. There are not many of those. At the moment, Lugia is the only one I can think of.

slowpoke, bro and king are water/psychic and plus lugia isnt a water/psychic its a psychic/flying

slowpoke, bro and king are water/psychic and plus lugia isnt a water/psychic its a psychic/flying

Ah, yeah. Just looked it up. My point still stands though that there are hardly any Water-Psychic Pokémon. Slowpoke, Slowbro, Mega Slowbro, Slowking and Starmie are the only ones out of all 719 Pokémon.

A bug/dragon typing would be awesome Mod_Poplar. ^_^

Hey, MaSkullzOnFire! That would be cool to.

Grass/Fairy

Fire/Electric

Water/Dragon

Well, the Fairy typing doesn't benefit your Grass starter much with exception for getting protection from the Water starter's secondary typing.  It basically makes your Grass starter 4x vulnerable to Poison and swaps the Bug weakness for Steel.

Electric seems a random thing to add to your Fire starter (who already resists both types of the Grass starter) -- sure this buffs its Steel resistance and adds resistance to Flying (plus Electric STAB for all those pesky water types), the only drawback is magnifying the Ground weakness to 4x.

As for the Water starter, Dragon as a subtype is potentially too powerful to give it, with its only weaknesses being Dragon and Fairy.

One combination that might be interesting to see, IMHO, was something suggested since day one of the XY announcement:

Grass+Dark

Fire+Psychic

Water+Fighting

Then each starter has a secondary type that complements it, thus making the elemental triangle relationship go both ways.  It WAS interesting to see the Fighting/Psychic/Dark triangle in a set of starters in XY already, but the direction of it was a surprise (albeit clearly intentional).

Another combination I'd like to see is simply having a pure-typed Fire starter again.  We haven't had one of those since Gen 2, every other Fire starter ever has acquired a secondary type by its final form (and too many of them Fighting, Emboar receives a lot of criticism for its typing alone).

Of course, on a practical level elemental typing goes hand in hand with overall design.....

Well, the Fairy typing doesn't benefit your Grass starter much with exception for getting protection from the Water starter's secondary typing.  It basically makes your Grass starter 4x vulnerable to Poison and swaps the Bug weakness for Steel.

Electric seems a random thing to add to your Fire starter (who already resists both types of the Grass starter) -- sure this buffs its Steel resistance and adds resistance to Flying (plus Electric STAB for all those pesky water types), the only drawback is magnifying the Ground weakness to 4x.

As for the Water starter, Dragon as a subtype is potentially too powerful to give it, with its only weaknesses being Dragon and Fairy.

Those are nice points that you made.

• 2 months later...

Well, if Dragon type is very powerful and strong, there is not fair to give it to only one of three starters. I prefer give Dragon subtype to all three fully-evolved starters:

Grass / Dragon

Fire / Dragon

Water / Dragon

What do you think about it, guys? :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if Dragon type is very powerful and strong, there is not fair to give it to only one of three starters. I prefer give Dragon subtype to all three fully-evolved starters:

Grass / Dragon

Fire / Dragon

Water / Dragon

What do you think about it, guys? :-)

I think that would be an easy way for everyone to win the game quite quickly. Asuming fairy type would not be the first gym...Actually. That could make it more challenging. The player would then have to catch other Pokemon to help them defeat the gym and grow as a trainer. (Not to mention have a dragon as a pet with other deadly pets.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dragons are usually the "chase" pokemon in the game, that are brutally annoying to level and take a long time to get in the first place. I would like to see strange combinations, though.

Dragons are usually the "chase" pokemon in the game, that are brutally annoying to level and take a long time to get in the first place. I would like to see strange combinations, though.

Strange combos, huh? Are the following strange enough? (I'm writing these for fun.)

Ground/Grass

Poison/Ice

Water/Fire

Flying/Rock

Electric/Psychic

Steel/Fairy

Would any of those strange type combinations be enjoyable to see in-game?

I think water/fire and steel/fairy stand out for me. Espescially because I am thinking a water and fire type could be a legendary. (The design of a water and fire legendary could be cool.)

Would any of those strange type combinations be enjoyable to see in-game?

I think water/fire and steel/fairy stand out for me. Espescially because I am thinking a water and fire type could be a legendary. (The design of a water and fire legendary could be cool.)

Pokemon #721... water/fire legendary.  Just hasn't been revealed yet officially. 

Pokemon #721... water/fire legendary.  Just hasn't been revealed yet officially. 

What legendary is that? Oh, wait...is that Volcanion?

Archived