Energy Types, Trainer Cards, and more

BlueStream

Hi.

To start things off, I will try to make this clear. I am not a first-time player. I started playing when the online game was in beta and I started hearing about the TCG during the HGSS-on format. I have seen many TCG videos during that time so I know a good chunk about the game.

It has been a while ever since I stopped playing the online game and I just got back. I want to build my own deck, hopefully with Fairy cards and my old beloved Kyurem-EX, but the problem is, I have been gone for too long to the point I do not know what I want anymore.

I would like to know what each of the ten energy types are capable of and ideal for in detail (For example, I heard that the Metal and Fairy energy types are good for defence, is that true?), along with some notable cards that I can probably gain easily through safe means. That means EX cards are out of the question. Although they are quite powerful it would be impossible for me to get one unless I am super lucky and to say that I am the unluckiest commoner alive would be an understatement.

I do not mean to sound as if I am new to the game but I would also like to learn about Item, Supporter, and Stadium cards that are the easiest to obtain (and worth obtaining). I have the Sky Field, but I am in need for more because I only have one.

Lastly, I always wanted to ask this question. How many energy cards are ideal in a deck? I have been planning on filling an entire half of my deck with energy cards. Is that a good idea? Are special energy cards worth getting and applying onto a deck? How many of those are ideal?

This is where I end up bombarded with beginners' tutorial links and videos. Please stop and just answer the questions. Well, then again, it has been years, so I guess it would not hurt to look at one, or a couple.

Fairy Is based around healing and moving energy around.

Steel is a energy accelerated type

Fighting just stacks damage effects

Colorless just fits in any deck really

Dragons are playable due to double dragon and mainly just do a lot of damage

Psychic and grass are all about effects whether it's poison or confusion or sleep

Fire is about energy play getting it into discard to accelerate energy

Water and electric have rough seas which heals them

Fighting has fighting stadium adding another damage effects

Virbank is used with poison to make it deadly

Others include

silent lab no ability's for basics

Scorched earth adding draw power to fighting and fire decks

With special energy the useful ones are double dragon and strong energy for fighting making dragons playable and stacking fighting damage up

Sorry if this is not what you wanted I couldn't really understand what you were asking

So Fairy is about healing and moving energy cards around, right? Can it be used in aggro decks to gain tempo, or is it more ideal for a control deck? What are some of the notable Fairy cards that even the beginners can get with ease? What other non-rare cards synergize with Fairy cards?

Same question for the ten other energy types, as well as Fairy.

For each energy type (including Dragon):

• What makes the energy type different from others and what kind of gameplay is expected from it?
  • Can it be used for getting knockouts quickly enough to empty the opponent's whole playmat or is it more ideal for playing defensively?
  • What are some notable cards of that energy type that are easy to obtain?
  • What other common cards synergize with that energy type?

You also said that Fire and Steel accelerate Energy, right? so what are the differences between the two energy types?

I also have questions about energy cards.

• How many basic energy cards of an energy type is ideal? If it varies depending on how many Basic/Stage1/Stage2/Mega (which I will not have) cards I have, what is the perfect ratio?
  • What kind of decks rely on special energy cards? How many special energy cards in total are ideal in such decks?
  • In a deck that synergizes with specific special energy cards, how many of each is ideal?

I am asking these questions.

At this rate, I may have to start looking at beginners' tutorial videos. I am not really a beginner but it has been years and I am still a low-level player so...

Long story short, this:

"what each of the ten energy types are capable of and ideal for,"

... does not exist. The thing about Pokemon is that the mechanics in the game are defined by each individual Pokemon, not each individual type. It is for that reason that decks in Pokemon TCG are named after Pokemon rather than type. Even this:

"So Fairy is about healing and moving energy cards around, right?"

Is something Grass, Metal, Dark and to a slightly more indirect extent, Lightning have been known to do. All types has had some form of defensive play style, all have had some form of control, all have had offense, etc. As for energy ratios, energy should in general be less than a quarter of your deck. The top decks in the last major tournament are in this link, so feel free to take a look:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/nationals/2015/decks/masters/

Long story short, this:

"what each of the ten energy types are capable of and ideal for,"

... does not exist. The thing about Pokemon is that the mechanics in the game are defined by each individual Pokemon, not each individual type. It is for that reason that decks in Pokemon TCG are named after Pokemon rather than type. Even this:

"So Fairy is about healing and moving energy cards around, right?"

Is something Grass, Metal, Dark and to a slightly more indirect extent, Lightning have been known to do. All types has had some form of defensive play style, all have had some form of control, all have had offense, etc. As for energy ratios, energy should in general be less than a quarter of your deck. The top decks in the last major tournament are in this link, so feel free to take a look:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/nationals/2015/decks/masters/

So if I wanted an aggressive Fairy deck, is that possible? Oh wait, I don't see a Fairy deck on that list... Did an Ice deck do well in a tournament in the current format? Is it viable?

So if I wanted an aggressive Fairy deck, is that possible? Oh wait, I don't see a Fairy deck on that list... Did an Ice deck do well in a tournament in the current format? Is it viable?

It is indeed possible. Though I can't vouch on how effective it will be, Florges EX is a really aggressive deck for Fairies. The deck is fairly unexplored, so you will have to do some experimenting with it.

Deck aren't really sorted out by types, really. I would say that the closest you can go to an Ice deck is probably Primal Kyogre, who sometimes uses Articuno or Kyurem as a secondary attacker.

It is indeed possible. Though I can't vouch on how effective it will be, Florges EX is a really aggressive deck for Fairies. The deck is fairly unexplored, so you will have to do some experimenting with it.

Deck aren't really sorted out by types, really. I would say that the closest you can go to an Ice deck is probably Primal Kyogre, who sometimes uses Articuno or Kyurem as a secondary attacker.

I have my own deck that uses Kyurem-EX (Next Destinies 38) and Articuno (Roaring Skies 16) as my main, along with a Fairy Alpha Azumarill (Primal Clash 104) and Samurott (Boundaries Crossed 41 and Black & White 32) as my secondary. Is that viable?

Oh wait, I just got myself a Florges-EX. What other cards do I need? I just got the Venusaur-EX too...

Oh wait, I just got myself a Florges-EX. What other cards do I need? I just got the Venusaur-EX too...

I don't want to be mean, but you could get an aswer to your question in 10 seconds using google.... I mean it's fine to ask for advice if you have build oyur own version of the deck, but just to get a general stock pile list, the internet is your friend.

I have my own deck that uses Kyurem-EX (Next Destinies 38) and Articuno (Roaring Skies 16) as my main, along with a Fairy Alpha Azumarill (Primal Clash 104) and Samurott (Boundaries Crossed 41 and Black & White 32) as my secondary. Is that viable?

I can't even imagine how you can fit all that into a single deck without something going wrong. Can you share a decklist?

Anyways, I haven't built a Florges EX deck myself yet, so you'll have to search one out with uncle G.

Rakkis157, on 01 Aug 2015 - 11:50 PM, said: I can't even imagine how you can fit all that into a single deck without something going wrong. Can you share a decklist? Anyways, I haven't built a Florges EX deck myself yet, so you'll have to search one out with uncle G.

Uncle G, yea, that will never get old... XD

• 3x Oshawott (Boundaries Crossed)
  • 3x Dewott (Boundaries Crossed)
  • 2x Samurott (Boundaries Crossed Reverse Holo)
  • 1x Samurott (Black & White Holo)
  • 1x Kyurem-EX (Next Destinies)
  • 1x Articuno (XY)
  • 1x Articuno (XY Holo)
  • 2x Marill (Primal Clash 102)
  • 2x Azumarill (A-Recovery)
  • 1x Escape Rope
  • 2x Town Map
  • 2x Max Revive
  • 2x Bicycle
  • 2x Cheren
  • 1x Wally
  • 2x Tierno
  • 1x Shauna
  • 2x Pokémon Centre Lady
  • 2x Pokémon Fan Club
  • 2x Professor Juniper
  • 1x Magnetic Storm -- Wait, how did that get in there? --
  • 1x Sky Field (I wish I had more)
  • 1x Hard Charm
  • 2x Muscle Band
  • 10x Fairy Energy
  • 10x Water Energy

Yes, something probably went wrong.

Uncle G, yea, that will never get old... XD

• 3x Oshawott (Boundaries Crossed)
  • 3x Dewott (Boundaries Crossed)
  • 2x Samurott (Boundaries Crossed Reverse Holo)
  • 1x Samurott (Black & White Holo)
  • 1x Kyurem-EX (Next Destinies)
  • 1x Articuno (XY)
  • 1x Articuno (XY Holo)
  • 2x Marill (Primal Clash 102)
  • 2x Azumarill (A-Recovery)
  • 1x Escape Rope
  • 2x Town Map
  • 2x Max Revive
  • 2x Bicycle
  • 2x Cheren
  • 1x Wally
  • 2x Tierno
  • 1x Shauna
  • 2x Pokémon Centre Lady
  • 2x Pokémon Fan Club
  • 2x Professor Juniper
  • 1x Magnetic Storm -- Wait, how did that get in there? --
  • 1x Sky Field (I wish I had more)
  • 1x Hard Charm
  • 2x Muscle Band
  • 10x Fairy Energy
  • 10x Water Energy
Yes, something probably went wrong.
Well, your deck lacks a strategy. Think of one Pokemon you like, and focus your deck on helping that one Pokemon, and it will be much better. Also, you might want to cut one type, as sometimes two types in the same deck are clunky, also, you have too many energy, around 10 is better. Add n, it's a great card and up your juniper count and add ultra ball, it's a staple in like every deck.also, rough seas or fairy garden are good depending on which type you want to focus on more, and dive ball is a cool inclusion. If you do go with Faries, get the resilient life theme deck, it has some really good cards in a fairy deck, and is one of the best theme decks there is. Mainly the Xerneas and aromatise line are amazing. Hope this helps!

It looks like I'll have to start grinding dailies again, huh? At least I'll get better cards through theme decks...

Archived