Tell me about tournaments.

BlueStream

Hi.

I have not been playing this game for a while. I just got back into it.

So I have found this new way of playing called tournaments.

I have never tried this mode, and I do not really have good cards that can allow me to compete with even the most average of players, but let me make this clear: I am not a first-time player. As a matter of fact, I started playing the online game while it was still in beta, so I am not the baby of the bunch. I have known how the game works for years and I have been watching many TCG videos.

The question is, though, how does this new feature work and what are some tips I could use to get the most out of my experiences?

Now, I am not looking for a simple answer. I am looking for the detailed answers. I need all the detailed rules, like how the system works*, and, of course, at least four survival tips.

*For example...

• Do I get dropped into a pool of random players or is there some sort of matchmaking to make sure players have evenly matched cards?
  • Can I see a screenshot of how the bracket looks like?
  • Is there some kind of seeding in the tournament which will make me nothing more than feeder to the sharks?
  • I heard the tournaments consist of eight players each, is that correct?
  • What banned cards did I miss other than Lysandre's Trump Card, which I do not have anyway?

Here's everything I can say about tournaments, which I've personally been grinding to get most of the good cards I have now.

As you've heard, all tournaments on this program as of now are eight-player single-elimination, as the program currently isn't built for any other style of tournament.

The bracket is two-sided, with four players on each side; those who win their matches advance to the center of the bracket, where the two finalists ultimately meet.

The players participating in each tournament are decided on a first-come-first-serve basis; once eight players sign up, it begins. As for how they are matched up to each other, I can't say for sure how that works, but it seems to be completely random to me.

As you've probably guessed, Tournament Tickets are required to join the tournaments that offer tradable prizes, such as booster packs. These are earned in a number of ways: the Daily Login Rewards, random rewards from the Victor's Wheel, rewards from the new Versus Ladder, and as strange as it sounds, tournaments (there are tournaments that costs 49 Tokens to enter and offer Ticket prizes).

As of now, the available tournaments change on a weekly basis, though the only thing that actually changes most of the time is the format each is played in (Standard, Expanded, Unlimited, and Theme). There's always one tournament that costs Tokens and has Ticket prizes, and two tournaments that cost 4 Tickets and offer booster packs (mostly from the current set, with a random Standard-legal set thrown in sometimes). On weekends, one more tournament becomes available, costing 6 Tickets and offering more booster packs, as well as Reward Chests (which, for the record, are largely worthless).

That's all I can think of for now on tournaments. As for banned cards, you've already heard of Lysandre's Trump Card, which is only banned in Standard and Expanded; it is legal for Unlimited, and it doesn't appear in Theme anyway. Another card that was "technically" banned is First Ticket, though that's only because it was brought to the staff's attention that the card became completely worthless when Legendary Treasures changed the first-turn rule, conflicting with the card's wording.

Everything posted by Shareking is about right for the way tournaments work atm.  They are working on tracking players ranks via the VS Ladder and Tournament Points so this will let you see how you stand out compared to the rest of PTCGO.

Tips for winning:

• you'll need your very best competitive deck(s), you will not do well at all with a Theme deck (unless in Theme Tournament) or non-competitive deck 
  • decks that are great at setting up quickly usually do very well
  • Night March is a very cheap inexpensive deck for players to get every card of and does very very well in Standard and Expanded
  • There is a much shorter time limit on your entire play!!! you only have 12 mins to win/lose and if you time out even if you're ahead in the prizes you still lose, so be quick on your decisions, make as little mistakes as possible
  • its best of 1 single elimination so every game matters
  • don't run an experimental deck until you have played at least 50 to 100 VS matches with it to see how well it does against the Meta otherwise you're probably wasting your tickets (though there are several ways to obtain them, they only come 1-4 at a time but mostly just 1)
  • and lastly expect to face just about anything......competitive and non-competitive decks show up, meta and non-meta show up as well but you can expect there is going to be meta so your deck is going to need to be able to handle anything at any time (its not like IRL tournaments where you can build a deck and tech it with cards to help you out against a deck you expect to see the most of...example: you might see Toad 1 tournament but then go 6 tournaments without seeing it again so don't build a deck to beat Toad and then not see it and lose to non-Toad decks, your deck needs to be able to beat them to)

While Sharking319 said, "I've personally been grinding (tournaments) to get most of the good cards I have now," Linnell said, "[Y]ou'll need your very best competitive deck(s), you will not do well at all with a theme deck or a non-competitive deck."

Sorry if I sound as if I'm nit-picking, but does that mean tournaments are the best way to earn good cards, but in order to get good cards, I have to already have obtained good cards? Oh wait, Night March... The problem is, I only have about a dozen cards available for trade because the game just does not let me trade any of the pack cards from the current set. This is where you tell me that is because I bought them with tokens. Yes, it looks like I will have to consider buying one of those $60 USD boxes (I'm from Canada) if I can find one...

No, seriously, I should be buying one anyway if I ever want to stand a chance at being qualified for the World Championships, but please, those two quotes are a little confusing, so help me out here.

Dang, if only I could figure out how to be able to get more cards that the game lets me trade. I was thinking of getting myself a Fairy deck or something but since I have no clue where to start, I will probably consider the Night March deck.

Maybe I could try the theme deck tourneys. What are some of the theme decks that do well in the theme deck tourneys anyway? I do have the Salamence-Victini-Articuno one...

Maybe I could try the theme deck tourneys. What are some of the theme decks that do well in the theme deck tourneys anyway? I do have the Salamence-Victini-Articuno one...

Sorry for the short answer...I would recommend using the built-in Mental Might theme deck or purchasing a Resilient Life theme deck from the shop.

In the Mental Might deck, Gallade has a very powerful attack that can amass plenty of damage on other theme decks and has great bulk too.

{C}{C} Powerful Storm 20x

Does 20 damage times the amount of energy attached to all your Pokemon.

In the Resilient life deck, Scolipede has a lot of bulk and a decent attack as well. Setting it up may be difficult, but you are aided with Xerneas, great for acceleration, Slurpuff, who prevents special conditions from affecting your Pokemon with fairy energy attached to them, and Aromatisse, allowing you to move around fairy energy to different attackers.

Sorry for the short answer...I would recommend using the built-in Mental Might theme deck or purchasing a Resilient Life theme deck from the shop.

In the Mental Might deck, Gallade has a very powerful attack that can amass plenty of damage on other theme decks and has great bulk too.

{C}{C} Powerful Storm 20x

Does 20 damage times the amount of energy attached to all your Pokemon.

In the Resilient life deck, Scolipede has a lot of bulk and a decent attack as well. Setting it up may be difficult, but you are aided with Xerneas, great for acceleration, Slurpuff, who prevents special conditions from affecting your Pokemon with fairy energy attached to them, and Aromatisse, allowing you to move around fairy energy to different attackers.

Well, that answers one of my questions. I'll consider the Resilient Life deck. Too bad I have already spent my 600 Trainer Tokens on the three 10-card packs only to get nothing.

If we're talking about a good deck to use for Theme tourneys, you should definitely get Dark Hammer once you save up 500 Tokens.

When it comes to theme decks, Dark Hammer is by far the best of them. One gigantic problem with most theme decks (Resilient Life especially) is that they're often filled to the brim with useless Pokémon. Dark Hammer is largely exempt from this; save for Scrafty, just about every (fully-evolved) Pokémon is useful in some capacity, especially Pangoro, Machamp, and Landorus.

Dark Hammer also has plenty of solid Trainers, more than most theme decks. You have two Korrina, which is very useful for searching out a Pokémon and a useful Item, like Professor's Letter, Evosoda, or Energy Switch. You also get a couple of Professor Sycamore, one of the best draw Supporters in the game, as well as your standard theme-deck fare in Tierno.

Being a primarily Fighting-type deck, you might think that Dark Hammer is very weak against Mental Might. However, it has Pokémon that can stand up to that deck, such as Landorus, Lickilicky, and especially Pangoro. All in all, Dark Hammer is very well-suited for a battlefield where theme decks come to play.

If we're talking about a good deck to use for Theme tourneys, you should definitely get Dark Hammer once you save up 500 Tokens.

When it comes to theme decks, Dark Hammer is by far the best of them. One gigantic problem with most theme decks (Resilient Life especially) is that they're often filled to the brim with useless Pokémon. Dark Hammer is largely exempt from this; save for Scrafty, just about every (fully-evolved) Pokémon is useful in some capacity, especially Pangoro, Machamp, and Landorus.

Dark Hammer also has plenty of solid Trainers, more than most theme decks. You have two Korrina, which is very useful for searching out a Pokémon and a useful Item, like Professor's Letter, Evosoda, or Energy Switch. You also get a couple of Professor Sycamore, one of the best draw Supporters in the game, as well as your standard theme-deck fare in Tierno.

Being a primarily Fighting-type deck, you might think that Dark Hammer is very weak against Mental Might. However, it has Pokémon that can stand up to that deck, such as Landorus, Lickilicky, and especially Pangoro. All in all, Dark Hammer is very well-suited for a battlefield where theme decks come to play.

All in all, this was a convincing explanation, but in a theme deck game dominated by Mental Might you are victim to constant type disadvantages. The deck doesn't contain fast enough acceleration to really get the deck kicking, but does have many cards with great attacks and abilities. Landorus can resist Gallade, but doesn't have enough firepower to fully deal with it. Lickilicky is hard to get being a colorless type in this deck and also requires lots of energy to attack without access to double colorless energy. Finally, Pangoro has a psychic resistance is great against Gallade, though is also hard to get and set up. You're only supplied with two in the deck anyways with no way to get them back from the discard pile.

Mental Might is easy to set up with an excellent attack costing low energies and will always have the advantage against Dark Hammer. It's a winnable situation for Dark Hammer, but it's not worth the difficulty against Mental Might to run the deck. 

Resilient Life does have some bad attackers, but these are much easier to setup with Xerneas and will do the job just fine against other weaker theme decks filled with lower HP pokemon.

For theme decks. These are some good ones, from their ratings.

In general, most of the HGSS Theme decks that come with the bundle in the shop are very good. example --> Royal Gaurd.

Now to all time, Best theme deck that is so hard to beat. --> Theme deck from HGSS, with leafeon, don't remember the name.

Theme decks to use now --> Dark Hammer, Resilient Life, and you may rely on Mental Might !

Still, the real point is the fact that I'm in a Catch-22 Dilemma. In order to get good cards, I have to participate in tournaments and do well. To participate in tournaments and do well, I have to have already obtained good cards. I couldn't find the right words for it until now.

Now we have two users debating between Dark Hammer and Resilient Life. Well, I was looking to make a Fairy deck, but Slurpuff can do, like, what, 30 damage at best for a Stage 1? It's only the special conditions that it can protect my cards from, but isn't the Fighting energy type infamous for dealing damage to the benches (back in the HGSS days it was Water that was like this, I think)? Plus, with that many different Psychic Pokémon, how will seven Psychic energy cards ever suffice?

Now for the Dark Hammer. In order for Pancham to evolve, there has to already be a Darkness Pokémon in the bench, and there are only two different kinds of that available--Pangoro and the Scraggy line. There is no Switch in the theme deck, and there is only one Evosoda so I have to rely on one Pokémon and pray it does not get knocked out, making the deck very RNG-based. There are some good Pokémon cards in the deck, but I will have to pray that I have enough energy cards to power them up.

Even still, the real issue is how to solve the Catch-22 Dilemma as explained at the beginning of this post.

I'm going to move the debate between Dark Hammer and Resilient Life elsewhere. But for now, can I get any clues on how to get out of this catch-22 dilemma?

Do you have any way to obtain cheap budget cards?  Night March is the best budget deck you can get.  If you haven't seen it, it's made up of about 95% commons and uncommons and 5% rares.  Those rares include Flareon (Vengance), Mew-EX, Shaymin-EX and an ACE-Spec (usually Computer Search).  Shaymin and Computer Search are the most expensive cards in the deck and you can do well without them, just find a cheaper ACE-Spec to use or pass up on it all together since they rotate out in a few months.  Other than that, you can trade for just about every single card in the deck that you don't already have in your collection.  

If you had to trade packs or use packs as currency from one of the trading companies on the forums, 10 packs tops will get you all 60 cards if you don't have them.  Could be even less then 10 packs.  Its the cheapest way to get a deck that is in the top 10 competitive tcg decks. 

Yes, but the thing is, the only things I can trade right now are the twenty or so cards I have no clue how I obtained. Everything else is trade-locked. Also, my mum doesn't let me spend money in this game.

I did manage to trade up for an Azumarill line with one more Alpha Azumarill to go, and I did find a trade-locked Night March Joltik. Other than that, though, yes, I am screwed.

Without spending even just $10 on the game, you're gonna have a hard time getting good cards and decks.  The only way to do it for free is to complete the Trainer Challenge and obtain the 45 free packs from it (if you haven't done so) and spend lots of Tokens in the Shop for 5 card packs from a set that you want the most and make the best deck you can from those cards.  If you want Night March, all of it comes from Phantom Forces and being common and uncommon cards you can get them pretty easily that way.

Other than that you'll have to grind through the VS Ladder, probably in Theme Deck Mode, and obtain the free Roaring Skys packs.  I'm sorry but there is just absolutely NO other way to get the cards you need for a decent/good deck.

Well, I could try to pull some strings and buy the $60 booster box. That will give me physical cards because I would need them anyway. I still find it hard to believe that I am actually nineteen years old because I still don't get to use my own debit card freely. If I do manage to buy the box, then I am probably going to learn how to make a strong deck first. Night March is a good budget deck, but the problem is I would need to learn how others play the deck, and I don't like netdecking all that much either.

A moderator just told me she will share my frustration with the Trainer Challenge, so I might expect it to be a little easier. Then again, probably not. After all, developers don't actually listen to feedback. They only listen to popular demands, and even then, the chances of having that put into effect are very slim.

Personally, I thought I was going to be denigrated with infantilizing discriminatory rants even though I am actually nineteen because that's how toxic the gaming community generally is.

Archived