Incorporate a betting feature..

A1snipe06

Why not ask if the other player would like to make a bet and make an offer?

it adds a whole new dimension to the game play, since tournaments go by so quick and the tickets get eaten up so quick... Add some more flare to the game?

Also I think it would be nice if you could click a "all for trade" button and list everything you have.

I could see matches where two players have to both put the same pack in a pool but it would have to remain anonymous as to who the players are as it would be unfair for them to see user names before the match started. It sounds too unfair for people to be able to put cards up for the match as they are all of different worth. It would have to be that both players would have to put into the pool the same card. I think one pack or card would work with this. I don't think I would like this type of game as it is very high stakes. I can see how it is too much like betting so it would be illegal to have. 

Betting over a virtual card game? How is that harm.. You are over analyzing it, if individuals want more of a thrill within the game I think an alternate matchmaking where such things can happen is completely okay..

People quit this game quite a bit because it is extremely hard for people without very much (real life) money to even get ahead.. Maybe let one of those people invest in like $5 worth of booster packs and if they are good they can continue to progress and win and not have a financial issue hold them back from progressing and having fun.

If you put this into a "gambling" perspective you are completely ignorant for that because it is in no way the same thing. No one is winning money..

idk, it was just an idea!

Betting over a virtual card game? How is that harm.. You are over analyzing it, if individuals want more of a thrill within the game I think an alternate matchmaking where such things can happen is completely okay..

People quit this game quite a bit because it is extremely hard for people without very much (real life) money to even get ahead.. Maybe let one of those people invest in like $5 worth of booster packs and if they are good they can continue to progress and win and not have a financial issue hold them back from progressing and having fun.

If you put this into a "gambling" perspective you are completely ignorant for that because it is in no way the same thing. No one is winning money..

idk, it was just an idea!

Well, I completely agree with Aniket. All he said was, let this game be childish. Even I think betting is completely out of the morals of a game. It will lead to cheating and all kinds of things. Scams and all the crying and all have been a result of betting in the history in real life. And for you question, to how does it harm. Here is are some arguements I want to put forward. Not only they are arguements, there are some facts :-

1. Betting is banned over games in many countries, making it clear its not good for sportsmanship. So it does prove that betting is actually not good.

2. Cheating and false game plays, scams and other bad things can take over the game as a consequence of betting.

3. It is not Moral to involve in Betting, as Aniket said. Plus this is a game where children play, and no Parent would tolerate his child to be involved in betting, as it Is not a MORAL thing. I am talking about from where I belong, and I do guess that all other parents from all other parts of the world would agree to me.

4. For the fun and thrill, Betting is not the solution, you suggested it as a way to earn prizes. Well, it will always end up rich players winning such games, while we are making the pokemon community better to help newer players to get in and get set go and enjoy the game, this suggestion would ruin the work done to make such a good playing environment, with all kind of KIND people in the community helping each other. In my sight, Betting is a very bad thing to do. And you don't need money to get ahead in this game. I am one of those, who hasn't invested real money in this game, and hence know many other people like me and who are very successful. So real money isn't needed to get ahead in this game.

5. Another thing, from your statement, tickets get eaten up, it seems you have been unlucky in getting tickets from Random Battles, but that is the only way, or you can play theme deck tournaments and there are many other ways to keep on playing tournaments. There is actually a very easy way to get tickets, and I guess no one in the game is short of them :)

I hope you understand my point of view, overall, I am not happy with this idea/suggestion.

Ending on a good and polite note, if you felt I hurt anyone, I am sorry for that, I didn't mean to do so.

Have a nice day :)

Welll Lets have at it..

If betting is banned, why can runescape get away with it?

Most of the people that play I honestly doubt are children.

No sir, you did not hurt my feelings as I understand where you are coming from, I do not completely agree with you, but that is my right so it is okay :)

Welll Lets have at it..

If betting is banned, why can runescape get away with it?

Most of the people that play I honestly doubt are children.

No sir, you did not hurt my feelings as I understand where you are coming from, I do not completely agree with you, but that is my right so it is okay :)

But atleast some are children :) Even though if you feel they aren't children, most of my friends are so small, but actually pretend to be mature, that even before, I didn't knew they went to school, I was thinking they were some elder office going people lol. So you never know xD and if betting is implemented, it will effect children, even though they are or they are not the major part of the game :)

When gambling becomes problematic and there is a plausibility of difficulties, it becomes problem gambling. Ludo mania as is commonly referred is a mental state of excessive gambling without an urge to stop. So grave is this problem, that it is diagnosed as clinical pathological gambling. It might be difficult to accept but people dealing with this addiction can suffer from migraine, distress, intestinal disorders and other anxiety related problems. Now that is something to mull over as gambling is becoming more prevalent throughout the world. A problem gambler gambles as frequently as he will take a tranquilizer, or have a cup of coffee. It becomes an addiction; the person will wish to experience the emotional affect same as before. It can disrupt your physiological, personal and professional life to a grave extent. The solution may not lie in banning and imposing strict laws on legalized gambling but since it is causing negative impacts on one’s individual life, it needs to be curbed.

Man, chill out pitchfork mob -- the guy was only making a suggestion.

However, I agree: It's not gonna happen. PTCGO/Play! Pokemon can't and shouldn't do anything to stop informal bets, but there are already so many elements of the game that have come under fire for "gambling-like" properties as is. Coin flips, unknown contents in packs, random card draws.

Pokemon does not want the legal consequence of institutionalizing formal bets in its program, a free-to-play program. Though I wonder what the IRS would say if I tried to write off excessive losses? ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Man, chill out pitchfork mob -- the guy was only making a suggestion.

Yes, ^ that. ;)

Currently, "wagering" is against the rules of TCGO. It is considered scamming, because it is not controlled by the game, and often players will skip out on their end of the deal once the game has been played.

Personally, I would really enjoy being able to up the ante; but only in a controlled environment where the details are handled server-side. I do not consider this to be any worse than purchasing a lottery ticket, and do not see it as a moral issue. However, countries that sell lottery tickets do have minimum age requirements.

Bearing in mind the age requirement and the possibility of scamming, I doubt we will see this become a feature of TCGO any time in the near future. But that's just my guess.

Well one idea is to set up a side mini game. I played an online game where you invested virtual in-game currency in a mini game in hopes to get more of the same. It was kind of a lottery, you buy a ticket, with about 6 to 7 different characters, basically you reveal them on a 3x3 grid i think it was, winnings count straight and across, you could bet about 100, 1000 or 10000 and if you get 3 same characters either straight or across your money is doubled, tripled, quadrupled etc. This can also be done here, only with tokens. Plus you could set up some characters to give booster packs instead of tokens if you get those. This won't involve real life cash, so it would be the same as playing virtual texas hold'em. Right? And it would be controlled server-side.

Edit: Right, almost forgot, it was possible for all the fields on the grid to be filled with just one character, meaning a jackpot could be won.

i thought it was implied that we could bet just tokens and the games automatically gave them to the winner after the match. That would be a good way to earn more tokens. set a token max and let 2 players wager who has better skill.

just having the word 'betting' associated with the game will be a PR disaster.

so while the game very much encourages gambling like behaviour as mentioned by others, you can't have something so blatant in a game that is heavily marketed towards kids.

I know betting is a huge no-no when it comes to children's games- and I am completely against it..

however it should be off the table since it's a kids game is kind of a weak statement to make.. in a game where you have limiting such as chatting and trading based on age restrictions modified on the main site and monitored by parents

I think that PTCGO is just a "tool" that "real-life" players can use to practice or new players to try out the game, but obviously this is not the case.  But I don't think it needs any thing more than just the TCG. (such as betting, a lottery or mini games)

Archived