My false predictions about the emerging powers theme deck is a cause for CELEBRATION!!!

signofzeta

I predicted Toxic Tricks will be Psychic Grass, and Power Play will be Fighting Darkness.

I was wrong. Toxic Tricks will be Psychic Fire, and Power Play will be FIghting Water. Now that is something to celebrate. WHY? After so many freaking sets, GRASS is finally NOT featured in at least one of the theme decks in the set.

I just hope in the future that no one elemental type is featured too much in a theme deck, much like Grass was since 2007.

It was quite obvious to me Toxic Tricks wouldn't be Grass/Psychic. As much as it would've fit, that would be a really overused combination then. Fighting/Darkness at the other hand seemed pretty obvious (unfortunate to see that's not the case).

Because of my same expectation that Power Play would've been Fighting/Darkness, my expectation was that Toxic Tricks would've been Psychic/Steel. Steel and Dark are opposites in the TCG which would've been nice for these theme decks (indirect damage vs direct damage), because these theme decks sounded promising for a "Defense vs Offense" theme. But unfortunate to see it got kinda random (well, it's obviously intended as "Some Fightings weak vs all Psychics, all Fires weak vs all Waters; but still). It even looks like Toxic Tricks barely has any "Toxic Tricks" up its sleave, what a shame...

Say, do you know if card scans are already available? Or at least simply what all cards do?

I only know of the card lists from Bulbapedia, which they got that info from Pokegym.

Anyway, speaking of opposites, this is how I usually pair them together.

Fire vs Water

Fighting vs Psychic (Body vs Mind)

Grass vs Steel (Nature vs Industrialization)

Darkness vs Lightning (DARKness vs LIGHTning)

But in actuality, I don't think that's how the TCG groups them.

If the November set is based off Red collection, and the theme decks are based off the fossil pokemon, like they did in the past, I would guess that darkness and steel theme decks will be featured in those sets. Carracosta is Water and Archeops is Fighting. So my prediction would be Water Dark, and Fighting Steel.

As for whichever one I get, it all depends how the decks are arranged in the display box. I always buy the deck, when looking directly at the front of the box, that is sitting on the right side of the box. So far I haven't strayed from this pattern. I only use this pattern when there are only 2 theme decks in a set. If there are 3, I just pick the one that closely resembles the version or starter that I chose in the video games. The main exception to this is HS triumphant. I bought Royal Guard, and that was on the left side. So why did I buy the one on the left? If you look at the image of Nidoking on the deck itself, and the image on the display box, the images are reversed. Also if you look at the sides of the display, Mamoswine is on the left side, and Nidoking is on the right. The placement and display box image is reversed, and hence, Royal Guard should in actuality be on the right side.

I look at different things. Indeed, Fighting vs Psychic seems obvious. One is very direct, the other is pretty indirect (dealing less damage but having more strategic value). However, as for Steel and Dark, one is defensive and the other is offensive: just look at their special energies, but it can also be seen in the cards themselves (Darks are more obvious as they generally don't have as much HP as Steels, but just look at Steels: Dark Pokemon would deal more damage for 5 energy than Steelix Prime, same with Aggron for 4 energy (and Aggron reduces damage dealt!), etcetera). You mustn't look at themes that have nothing to do with the cards. You must look at the cards themselves.

I look at different things. Indeed, Fighting vs Psychic seems obvious. One is very direct, the other is pretty indirect (dealing less damage but having more strategic value). However, as for Steel and Dark, one is defensive and the other is offensive: just look at their special energies, but it can also be seen in the cards themselves (Darks are more obvious as they generally don't have as much HP as Steels, but just look at Steels: Dark Pokemon would deal more damage for 5 energy than Steelix Prime, same with Aggron for 4 energy (and Aggron reduces damage dealt!), etcetera). You mustn't look at themes that have nothing to do with the cards. You must look at the cards themselves.

Which is why I said that the TCG does not group them like that. I kind of find it odd that Dark is offensive and Steel is defensive, which makes them opposites, but it would have made more sense for Lightning to be opposite of Dark, but since they added Dark and Steel later, there is nothing that they could have done without changing the entire game. I find it odd that darkness is related ot offense. Usually things like fire and lightning are better suited as offense in the real world. Dark, well it's the opposite of Light. Also you may have not noticed, but in the video games, ground types are opposite to flying types themewise.

Then again, there isn't really an opposite when it comes to fire and water. Themewise it does, but for the card game itself, fire deals massive damage with the cost of discarding energies, while water hits any target directly. I don't think that is opposites. Grass does healing, Lightning fetches energy from your discard pile, Psychic is good at dealing status condition damage, fighting has a lot of coin flipping for combo attacks, darkness makes opponents discard cards, and steel has the highest HP out of them all, well that is at least what the rulebook says. I don't think darkness is the de facto opposite of steel types because steel is the best defensive type, but darkness isn't the best offensive type. That honor goes to fire, which deals way more damage than dark types. The only cards that makes dark and steel opposites would be the special energy cards, but in terms of every other card, not as much. I am fairly certain that fire is better offensively than Dark.

But who cares, the theme decks are coming out, and I am buying the one that is sitting on the right side in the display case.

Archived