how to bring 'physical card collectors' to ptcgo

kalendae

A large proportion of people who buy pokemon cards (the physical packs) are 'collectors' only and don't play the game.  In fact, 100% of my son's friends who collect pokemon don't know how to play with the cards.  Their parents buy them the packs and they collect them and they show it to each other and ooh and ahh over them and that is the end.  

The barrier to entry there is that they are not taking the effort to learn to play the game. This is where PTCGO shines, the tutorial is very good at teaching people how to play.  But it is a bit of a catch-22.  someone who only collects has very little motivation to get an 'online' pack. the result is that they sort of just abandon their code cards making pack codes VERY cheap, because there is a large population of collectors who don't play and thus don't need the online code.

But what the collectors DO want at the moment are physical cards.  So the idea is to make promo physical cards that can be obtained only after you create an online account and finish the tutorial.  

an example would be, when u open a pack, sometimes you get a rare 'ticket for a promotional holo reshiram', to redeem the ticket you take it along with a code you get at the end of the tutorial generated uniquely for your account to a local pokemon league, and exchange it for the actual physical card.

This will force a portion of the collectors to finish the tutorial and a portion of those will be retained as players if they find it fun.  

Hi kalendae!

Interesting suggestion. I'll submit it to the Dev team and leave this thread open for discussion, and as always, we appreciate your input! :)

Wow that's actually a very cool idea.. It kinda takes a link of ptcgo to the tcg and makes it two way.. Encouraging online play

Interesting idea. I like it.

That would be an awesome advertisement for the online TCG and would bring for sure some more players/collectors*.

*Having that said, collectors only are in disadvantage in this game at the moment since the high token costs were implemented. Getting those rare cards from HGSS-era for example, is a real pain right now.

I'm a collector myself but In PTCGO they dont promote trading or collecting, only promote pvp. Why do you think they want to increase the collectors playing PTCGO?

Hi xsYosho,

I can give you at least my opinion on this.

My kids are the same way.  They collect but they don't play.

This type of real world link would at least expose them to the online game and how to play.  If even a small percentage stuck around and played online or decided to play irl, the whole game would benefit.

And although it may not be the best implementation - yet - I do think you'll find many people here who are big traders and collectors.

Kalendae - great idea but due to the number of departments that would have to work together in the company to implement this, I wouldn't expect to have much chance.  But let's hope.  And if it happens, I hope you can get a nice rare holo out of it for suggesting it. ;)

Archived