Anyone familiar with PTCGO unlimited? Best deck(s)?

Cwarfare718

I started playing about 6 months ago and I'm clueless when it comes to unlimited decks. I would like to try out the older stuff but it's hard to find reliable information, because I see either decks that were good but don't incorporate the new cards, or decks that are straight unlimited and utilize cards made before PTCGO.

I haven't seen many posts regarding unlimited decks here on the forums recently, and whatever I did find may or may not be competitive...

Can anyone tell me what unlimited decks are good here on PTCGO? If possible a deck list would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

After LTC ban, it's hard to tell how the format will shape. As a general guideline, it's usually a good idea to take a popular and powerfull standart deck, and try to add cards like Junk Arm, Professor Oaks New Theory, etc. to the mix. Lets take the ever so popular builds of Rayquaza (col) Raichu for example. With 4 Junk Arm, you all of a sudden have the option to play up to 5 Computer Search, up to 8 Super Scoop Up, etc., etc., adding even more consistency to the archetype. Anything that once was tier 1/2 is more or less playable in Unlimited and we are not accounting for the wide range of Unlimited only decks, including builds that evolve around Mew Prime, Lost World, Seeker, etc. For additional information ( and to make a bit of advertising), I'd suggest you follow the link in my describtion :D.

Edit: nice, the forum is buggy again ~~

Cool, I just checked out The Unlimited Corner. Multiple lists there and I picked up some info.

To be honest I'm disappointed about unlimited... Just adding old broken cards to Standard decks was not the meta I had in mind, but like I said I'm clueless hah. I was hoping the format ran on Lost World or some Primes like Scizor or Tyranitar.

Thanks for the help Felidae :) You saved me a lot of trouble trying to obtain the older stuff, but now I know it just isn't worth it.

Cwarfare718, it is not like that. sure, most matches in unlimited you will face modified standard/expanded decks, but sometimes you will face really cool decks using hgss pokemon (not only primes) and that s the reason to play unlimited at least. most of hgss pokemon cards unfortunatally weak comparing to newer cards, but you can still build fun deck using hgss-era pokemons (just dont use obviously weak ones) and it will have good percentage of wins. for exmaple, you can check Felidae_'s thread and see that he has Shiftry/Drifblim deck which seems really fun and has 70-80% of wins with it. i have fun unlimited decks using hgss era pokemon as main attackers and none of them has less than 65% percentage of wins. give unlimited a chance. you can try to play unlimited matches with your standard deck and see if you like it.

Hey Cwarfare718,

I'll quote myself here real quick:

Although most players where content by just adding a couple of Professor Oaks New Theory and Junk Arm to their already established arsenal of Expanded decks, the games against people with experience and the necessary card pool proofed, that Unlimited was way deeper than that.

As I mentioned a couple of times, this approach is just the easiest way to get you started, as most of the Unlimited staples are very expensive and it's not as easy to build a deck list Lost World from scratch.

The problem is, that in the Pokemon TCG, like almost every other card game, they tend to increase the power / stats of the Pokemon witch each set. Your usual Stage 2 Pokemon just can not be compared to the regular EX counterpart, in terms of raw strength.

If you are looking for a format that is entirely based on old cards, then you are indeed wasting your time, as limiting yourself to a particular era of cards goes against the whole nature of Unlimited ( hence the name).

The beauty of Unlimited lies in the details.

There are so many fun cards to utilize, things that boost existing decks, or give them a unique spin.

Take the Blastoise deck I posted for example. Sure, you can play this archetype to a certain extend in Standard / Expanded, but without cards like Shuckle or Shaymin, you just lose so much potential.

I'd advise you to play a bunch of games in the format and see for yourself, if you like it or not :D.

I believe you misunderstood me Felidae, it would be foolish to believe the best decks would be made completely of HGSS era cards. Although they're broken cards, generally cards get better not worse. To clarify what I was expecting, I thought Unlimited decks would incorporate both new and old cards but revolve around the usage of Primes.

Why...

Primes are relatively expensive and not all the same price.

1. Primes are "cheap" irl, but that would make sense because you can't use them anymore as opposed to the PTCGO where they may be used often.

2. If it were simply an issue of old card rarity then many Primes would share the same value. They don't...For example why is Scizor 22 packs?

I would like to quote 2 things you said:

"Although most players were just content by adding Professor Oak's New Theory and Junk Arm to their already established arsenal of Expanded decks, the games against people with experience and the necessary card pool proofed, that Unlimited was way deeper than that."

Jump to initial response to my post...

"As a general guideline, it's usually a good idea to take a popular and powerful Standard deck and try to add cards to it like Junk Arm and Professor Oak's New Theory"

I understand what you mean, but surely you can understand my confusion :)

I believe you misunderstood me Felidae, it would be foolish to believe the best decks would be made completely of HGSS era cards. Although they're broken cards, generally cards get better not worse. To clarify what I was expecting, I thought Unlimited decks would incorporate both new and old cards but revolve around the usage of Primes.

Why...

Primes are relatively expensive and not all the same price.

1. Primes are "cheap" irl, but that would make sense because you can't use them anymore as opposed to the PTCGO where they may be used often.

2. If it were simply an issue of old card rarity then many Primes would share the same value. They don't...For example why is Scizor 22 packs?

I would like to quote 2 things you said:

"Although most players were just content by adding Professor Oak's New Theory and Junk Arm to their already established arsenal of Expanded decks, the games against people with experience and the necessary card pool proofed, that Unlimited was way deeper than that."

Jump to initial response to my post...

"As a general guideline, it's usually a good idea to take a popular and powerful Standard deck and try to add cards to it like Junk Arm and Professor Oak's New Theory"

I understand what you mean, but surely you can understand my confusion :)

You have to factor in various points here:

Lets start with the prize of the Primes:

As far as the paper game is concerned, they are nothing special, just simple cards from simple sets, nothing to fancy about them.

Their value in the online game is however quite high, due to a limited amount of trade able copies, as HGSS packs did not include an online booster code and hence it has become quite difficult to obtain those cards, especially given that you have to rip multiple boosters to even find a single on of them.

You should always keep this in mind, when looking at the prize of any HGSS card.

Among the 26 Pokemon Primes, as well as the 9 Pokemon Legends ( I'll include them to this list in terms of value / unique usage in the format), I'd say that about 60% of them are playable and that about 40% of them actually see play.

I'd argue that this is the primary reason for the difference in price, however I can not tell you, why Scizor Prime for example is the most valuable one, you'd have to ask someone involved in a trading company /or someone who has more knowledge of the market than me for this question.

“To clarify what I was expecting, I thought Unlimited decks would incorporate both new and old cards but revolve around the usage of Prime “

To a certain extend this statement is true, however one has to make a distinction between decks that truly evolves around a single Pokemon ( lets say a Deck around Gengar Prime / Mew Prime / Lugia Legend, etc.), a deck that utilizes a Pokemon in an already established build ( Celebi Prime in Genesect, Scizor Prime in Metal, Electrode Prime in Rayquaza / Kyurem) and decks that “just” include trainer / energy cards from the era, as the deck concept doesn't gain anything by adding a Legend/Prime Pokemon (i.e. Yveltal builds).

Given the cost of the cards, it becomes evident, why people would rather choose to play slightly modified versions of Standard / Expanded decks, instead of paying a small fortune.

For this very reason I made this rather narrow statement in my opening post, as this is just such an easy step to get into the format, without investing to much.

• 4 months later...

As Felidae_'s Unlimited Corner is closed... apparently it wasn't unlimited xD ...anyways, as that thread is closed, i decided to come here to expose my unlimited deck idea, although i've created a thread for it. I never played unlimited, so this may have many flaws, but hopefully with your help we'll manage to make it viable.

So, it's a disruptive deck based on Magnezone's Dual Brains, Parallel World and Seeker. Add a couple shaymin, rare candies and maybe Genesect Ex with G Booster, along with a fast disruptive power, and it would be something like this:

- Set up 1 or 2 Magnezone, using Shaymin ex for set up, and an attacker pokémon, which could be Genesect ex with G Booster because it's unaffected by any defensive pokémon's effects. I need to figure the energy acceleration way for it.
- This turn is important. All setup, after 2 or 3 turns, and surprise! Parallel world in play, allowing 3 benched pokémon for the opponent and 20 less damage on Genesect's attack. Next, 2 Seeker, leaving the opponent with 1 benched and 1 active pokémon, and the rest in the hand. So, play Red Card and he shuffles everything into the deck. Next, disrupt the benched pokémon, tool or energy discarding, and KO the active one with Genesect's 180 damage G Booster. Or use Escape Rope if it's more suitable to KO the benched one.
- This way, even if the opponent puts benched pokémon next turn again, they won't be able to rely on them to setup or support, because you just use 2 Seeker again along with Red Card, disrupt a little more if needed, and they'll be left with one poké again at the end of the turn.

There are some things to consider. The ideal attacker and respective energy acceleration (i remembered genesect because of g booster, allowing to hit safeguarders and such), a way to get around the 3rd pokémon left on opp's. bench, the ideal amount of disrupting power and which, and whichever you remember and care to suggest.

If i start to make a list, i'd say:

4-2-3 Magnezone Dual Brains
2 Shaymin Set Up
2 Genesect Ex

8 basic energy
4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
1 G Booster
1 Shadow Triad
4 Vs Seeker
4 Seeker
2 Junk Arm
2 Red Card
2 Enhanced Hammer or 2 Lost Remover
1 Tool Scrapper
1 Xerosic
2 Lysandre or 2 Escape Rope (as the opp. only has 1 benched)

That's already 49 slots.

If only Magnezone's Dual Brains Ability was cumulative, it would be possible to have 2 Magnezone and play 4 supporters per turn, which means Seeker all 3 benched poké and KO the active. It would be way OP.

The best decks in Unlimited?

Anything with Wobbuffet or the ability to block effects from opponents Pokemon. Celebi is a good example.

But Wobbuffet blocks abilities, and in unlimited you find poké body and poké power, which wobba's ability doesn't affect

This thread was inactive for more than 14 days at one point. to avoid bumping, your not allowed to post on threads like this. Mods may want to close this.

Archived