Decks without EX Pokemon

J4o4e

This has been suggested time and time again. In fact I don't think there's a week or a month that passes by without someone suggesting this.

The development team currently have no plans to implement such a mode.

Pokemon-EXs are a crucial part of the current marketing strategy so I don't think that PTCGO would have an option to do what OP is suggesting.

BUT, that should not stop you or someone from sponsoring/hosting a tournament of this nature. :) it is a good idea and I personally would want to see what decks would prevail. Be wary of donphan decks though, as they may dominate non-ex tourneys.

It'd be nice to have a verses mode for decks that don't contain EX cards

It would be nice to have a mode that allows players to ban or restrict any card or cards they wish.  Such a mode probably wouldn't (and shouldn't) have rewards, but it helps those that aren't close friends to arrange such games.

Otherwise if you think banning Pokémon-EX will help players that don't have a lot of resources, think again.  First even some of the top ones aren't that hard to get: learn about trading from the appropriate places and you should be able to get your first good Pokémon-EX as soon as you can get 2-3 boosters to trade for it.

The important point though is that not all Pokémon-EX are overpowered - in fact most aren't.  The few that do greatly shape the metagame but non-Pokémon-EX can be just as powerful (sometimes more so).  As such if you're looking for a format to help players without a lot of resources, you'd be better off with a mode that allowed only Commons and Uncommons.  It would still have balance issues, but I'm telling you right now that just getting rid of Pokémon-EX will result in the players that are regularly losing for the lack of them still regularly losing while punishing them for taking steps to actually get the cards needed for a competitive deck in regular play.

Archived