the pauper's tournament and random versus modes

kalendae

a huge draw in pokemon is of course making decks from what you have (or any artificial restriction).  part of that fun is reduced by the power of net decking and getting that tier1 deck straight from offline tournament results.  and unfortunately other than theme modes right now, net decking affects pretty much all other modes of tourneys and versus play.

this suggestion would only work after gems are rolled out to all regions, AND gems are tradeable.  because then, ptcgo will have a currency.  and the system can figure out the estimated value of a card from the last 100 trades of that card that involved gems and that card alone (just throwing out 100 as an example).  and when the system has estimated values on cards, we can have PAUPER tournaments and versus modes! basically modes where there is an upper limit on how much your entire deck is worth.

and it can vary, one day it can be 3000 gems the next it can be 1000 etc etc.  and the system sort of self corrects as if a card becomes good it's price will go up and make it less attractive for pauper modes.  and shifting metas will actually make it so you would constantly need to make different decks.

and of course it would be super fun for beginners too as they are on an even playing field.  rewards for pauper type modes should be less than the full mode of course.

Problem with this is that if someone runs 4 SR Ultra Ball, vs 4 Regular art Ultra Ball, then the system will be confused.

bethe system may not have a hard time registering the price difference.. but then again why make a difference between those two?

the sr version has the exact same effects as the regular version- it just makes your deck look good..

so instead i'd say all fa/sr are priced at their normal ex/card values for the pauper tournaments..

other than that I think the idea is great.. Another possible suggestion would be to make known combinations cost more.. for example if you were running darkrai yveltal, it'd have a much higher price than say (glaceon yveltal- for lack of a better example)

This is an interesting idea.

bethe system may not have a hard time registering the price difference.. but then again why make a difference between those two?

the sr version has the exact same effects as the regular version- it just makes your deck look good..

so instead i'd say all fa/sr are priced at their normal ex/card values for the pauper tournaments..

other than that I think the idea is great.. Another possible suggestion would be to make known combinations cost more.. for example if you were running darkrai yveltal, it'd have a much higher price than say (glaceon yveltal- for lack of a better example)

I disagree. The premise of the tournament would take care of combos. So if one combo was really good the cards price would go up. Also, if you were to account for combos, there would not really be a way to accurately get a cost for that combo. You can trade combos, only cards.

Problem with this is that if someone runs 4 SR Ultra Ball, vs 4 Regular art Ultra Ball, then the system will be confused.

I disagree. If you have 4 SR ultraball, Im sure you have 4 standard ones. Use the standard ones. Who cares if you deck isnt "pretty". If you want a pretty deck then you have to pay the price and would have to use lower value cards for the rest of your deck. Its up to the player if that is a fair trade of for their deck.

Im curious if the reverse would work too. Where you need a deck of greater then 1000 for example. It may cause long ques though if not a lot of people have expensive decks.

Hi there!

I'll submit this suggestion to the Dev team for consideration and leave this thread open in case you'd like to discuss your idea further.

As always, we appreciate your input!

A better suggestion would be a mode that bans certain meta deck cards so people have to come up with original deck ideas.  Because it is harder to come up with these decks, a tournament in this "no meta" mode would have a modified winner's wheel with larger minimum trainer token amounts (minimum 10 tokens).

Other special tournaments would be cool too, such as type restricted, Team Magma/Aqua only, No EXs, only basic pokemon to name a few.

In other TCGs Pauper tournaments are not based on card value, but card rarity. Thus, pauper refers to only building deck using cards with a common rarity. Other tournaments will allow common and uncommon, but no rare or ultra-rare cards. Would be easier to implement and not dependent on a currency system.

In other TCGs Pauper tournaments are not based on card value, but card rarity. Thus, pauper refers to only building deck using cards with a common rarity. Other tournaments will allow common and uncommon, but no rare or ultra-rare cards. Would be easier to implement and not dependent on a currency system.

I agree that it may be easier, but consider the consequences. Basing everything on rarity will force everyone to use one of only a few combinations of common/uncommon cards, and would just establish another meta game. Using kalendae's method, decks with good "common" cards such as "Night March" ones or Donphan would still get ranked pretty high and raise the value enough, possibly, to keep them out of his proposed pauper tournaments.

I see his proposal as anti-meta, which is great really.

Archived