Metal Deck Help

CAR600000

I am making a metal deck for the new rotation. Please criticize and give feedback. Ideas for ohko 180hp ex's and changing deck list. Ideas for post rotation.

DECK LIST

x1 Keldeo Ex
x4 Bronzor
x4 Bronzong
x1 Cobalion Ex
x2 Aegislash Ex
x1 Heatran
x3 Dialga Ex
16 Pokemon

x4 DCE
x8 Metal Energy
12 Energy

x3 Float Stone
x3 N
x3 Vs Seeker
x3 Sycamore
x1 Colress
x2 Lysandre
x2 Battle Compressor
x3 Ultra Ball
x1 Professor's Letter
x1 Teammates
x2 Trainers Mail
x4 Steel Shelter
x3 Muscle band
x1 Startling Megaphone
32 Trainers

Cobalion EX, N and Colress will rotate out this time
so .. your deck will rotate out as soon as the new rotation comes.

Lost cause

Cobalion EX, N and Colress will rotate out this time

so .. your deck will rotate out as soon as the new rotation comes.

Lost cause

not even close to a lose cause...........

the deck doesn't even need Cobalion-EX, N or Colress to function......Aegislash-EX and Dialga-EX are all the deck needs, my steel deck is 34-6 and only runs 2 N 2 Colress and 1 Cobalion-EX

Cobalion-EX punches through Safeguard and Pyroar but its not needed....its an ok counter to Toad but Aegislash's Mighty Shield is a million times better counter to Toad and to just about any deck that runs heavy on those special energy.  There are other ways to deal with Pyroar and Safeguard without Cobalion-EX

N will be replaced with Shuna if something else better doesn't come along to replace N

Colress.....well Colress is Colress, I doubt there will be anything that can draw up to 10 cards off a single effect so what players choose to replace it with will be up them

I am making a metal deck for the new rotation. Please criticize and give feedback. Ideas for ohko 180hp ex's and changing deck list. Ideas for post rotation.

DECK LIST

x1 Keldeo Ex
x4 Bronzor
x4 Bronzong
x1 Cobalion Ex
x2 Aegislash Ex
x1 Heatran
x3 Dialga Ex
16 Pokemon

x4 DCE
x8 Metal Energy
12 Energy

x3 Float Stone
x3 N
x3 Vs Seeker
x3 Sycamore
x1 Colress
x2 Lysandre
x2 Battle Compressor
x3 Ultra Ball
x1 Professor's Letter
x1 Teammates
x2 Trainers Mail
x4 Steel Shelter
x3 Muscle band
x1 Startling Megaphone
32 Trainers

-1 Bronzong line (1-1) you only need to get 2 on to the bench and I've found that 4 is just bulky 

-1 N (you'll take prizes fast enough that it hurts late game, if you need it early game battlecomp it and VS it back)

-1 Steel Shelter (3 usually wins the Stadium Battle, no need for 4)

-1 Float Stone (3 is good but again I've found that its not needed, 2 does the job and paying a retreat for a pokemon with steel energy can just be recycled with Metal Links)

+1 Startling Megaphone (until Garbodor rotates out in a few months you need to shut off that power or it'll wreck your whole strategy and slow you down hard)

+2 Trainers Mail (speed up your deck and shuffle it, becoming a staple 4 of in all decks)

+1 Sycamore (its an excellent card at 4 of in this kind of deck)

I also run 3 Bicycles in my deck but soon will be switching over to 4 Trainers Mail and 3 or 4 Acro Bike (might keep the Bicycles over Acro Bike)

Atm there really isn't anything you can do to OHKO 180HP and higher without applying Weakness....only Hypnotoxic Laser helped with that but its rotating out so we'll just have to wait and see what the next set brings for cards that might help with 180HP.  With that said my tip for 180HP is to either 2 shot with Aegislash while hopefully stalling out with Mighty Shield or Crono Wind from Diagla to prevent the EX from attacking then Full Metal next turn....either way the only way is to 2 shot them.

not even close to a lose cause...........

the deck doesn't even need Cobalion-EX, N or Colress to function......Aegislash-EX and Dialga-EX are all the deck needs, my steel deck is 34-6 and only runs 2 N 2 Colress and 1 Cobalion-EX

Cobalion-EX punches through Safeguard and Pyroar but its not needed....its an ok counter to Toad but Aegislash's Mighty Shield is a million times better counter to Toad and to just about any deck that runs heavy on those special energy.  There are other ways to deal with Pyroar and Safeguard without Cobalion-EX

N will be replaced with Shuna if something else better doesn't come along to replace N

Colress.....well Colress is Colress, I doubt there will be anything that can draw up to 10 cards off a single effect so what players choose to replace it with will be up them

Should I replace the n's right now and take out the cobalion ex?

-1 Bronzong line (1-1) you only need to get 2 on to the bench and I've found that 4 is just bulky 

-1 N (you'll take prizes fast enough that it hurts late game, if you need it early game battlecomp it and VS it back)

-1 Steel Shelter (3 usually wins the Stadium Battle, no need for 4)

-1 Float Stone (3 is good but again I've found that its not needed, 2 does the job and paying a retreat for a pokemon with steel energy can just be recycled with Metal Links)

+1 Startling Megaphone (until Garbodor rotates out in a few months you need to shut off that power or it'll wreck your whole strategy and slow you down hard)

+2 Trainers Mail (speed up your deck and shuffle it, becoming a staple 4 of in all decks)

+1 Sycamore (its an excellent card at 4 of in this kind of deck)

I also run 3 Bicycles in my deck but soon will be switching over to 4 Trainers Mail and 3 or 4 Acro Bike (might keep the Bicycles over Acro Bike)

Atm there really isn't anything you can do to OHKO 180HP and higher without applying Weakness....only Hypnotoxic Laser helped with that but its rotating out so we'll just have to wait and see what the next set brings for cards that might help with 180HP.  With that said my tip for 180HP is to either 2 shot with Aegislash while hopefully stalling out with Mighty Shield or Crono Wind from Diagla to prevent the EX from attacking then Full Metal next turn....either way the only way is to 2 shot them.

Do you think that replacing the float stones with switches right now since float stone is gone soon and I dont want to waste the time and energy getting them. 

I've made some adjustments, let me know what you think. Thank you for all your help.

x1 Shaymin Ex
x3 Bronzor
x3 Bronzong
x1 Cobalion Ex
x2 Aegislash Ex
x1 Heatran
x3 Dialga Ex
14 Pokemon

x4 DCE
x8 Metal Energy
12 Energy

x3 Switch?
x2 N/Ace trainer new set
x3 Vs Seeker
x4 Sycamore
x1 Colress
x2 Lysandre
x2 Battle Compressor
x3 Ultra Ball
x2 Professor's Letter
x1 Teammates
x3 Trainers Mail
x3 Steel Shelter
x3 Muscle band
x2 Startling Megaphone
34 Trainers

-1 Prof's Letter, with the Battle Compressors, you'll send at least 2 or 3 energy to the discard pile early for Metal Links and with the draw power of the deck you won't need to search out the energy often

+1 Trainer's Mail

-1 Switch 

+1 Escape Rope....some times having that force switch on the opponent to get something out of the active spot or get something that you know you'll KO that turn into the active spot without using your supporter for the turn is really good and just like switch it helps get your active that is in trouble or one you don't want there out

as for the rotation.....replacing Colress, Cobalion-EX, and possibly Startling Megaphone (once Garbodor is out the deck almost doesn't need it since it won't stop Spirit Links since they can be played and evolved that same turn) is a bridge I'll have to cross myself once we get there and see all the new cards and see what we still have access to 

but for now I like where your deck sits and hope you like it as well......good add on the Shaymin-EX for added draw power and a quick Metal Links will help it Sky Return to free up bench space if needed and conserve resources 

Thank you all for your help, I think I got what I needed, you guys are awesome and your the kind of people that make the Pokemon community a great place.  :)  :)  :)

Thank you all for your help, I think I got what I needed, you guys are awesome and your the kind of people that make the Pokemon community a great place.  :)  :)  :)

Welcome and thanks for the complement 

I used a deck list very similar to this at my local league and I won a tournament 4-0. Thanks guys! :)

np any time.....glad to hear that its working as well for you as it has for me

I found out that level ball is going to be reprinted soon, how do you think I could incorporate it into my deck?

-team mates

-heatran

+2 Level ball

this is all post rotation of course.

I found out that level ball is going to be reprinted soon, how do you think I could incorporate it into my deck?

-team mates

-heatran

+2 Level ball

this is all post rotation of course.

If Level Ball does get reprinted than that's excellent news for my Fighting Bats deck (even though I'll lose Landorus-EX)

As for you fitting it into your deck.....the changes you posted would do.  Level Ball would help get that Bronzong line out early without using the Ultra Balls, saving those for your needed Pokemon at that time.

As mentioned before there a 2-2 line of bronzong works just as well as 4-4, I've played aganist 4-4 and not onlydoes the problem of taking up space happen but it's made it easy targets.

Level Ball is ideal for this deck, bringing out bronzor nice and early without having to discard.Usually 3 stadiums do the trick, I find otherwise you're discarding a lot of them.

So just replace the team mates and heatran unless they become super useful? Also where do you think I could add a registeel from the new set? It's main attack: MCC 70 If the defending pokemon is EX then discard an energy atached to it.

This is my plan for post rotation let me know what you think.

x1 Shaymin Ex
x3 Bronzor
x3 Bronzong
x1 Registeel
x2 Aegislash Ex
x3 Dialga Ex
13 Pokemon

x4 DCE
x8 Metal Energy
12 Energy

x2 Switch
x1 Escape Rope
x2 Ace trainer 
x3 Vs Seeker
x4 Sycamore
x1 Professor Birch
x2 Lysandre
x2 Battle Compressor
x3 Ultra Ball
x1 Professor's Letter
x4 Trainers Mail
x3 Steel Shelter
x3 Muscle band
x1 Xerosic
x1 Startling Megaphone
x2 Level Ball
35 Trainers
Or replace 1 Ace trainer, 1 switch, and the escape rope for a 1-1-1 line of the new metagross that gives a free escape rope.

The Registeel is an excellent replacement for Cobalion-EX (if its lost due to the rotation which we are all sure it is)

I haven't seen the Metagross line yet so I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Might be able to drop Startling Megaphone for something else if Garbodor Gabotoxin rotates out and nothing else with a very similar effect that requires a tool to activate it isn't introduced.  But save that for when we see all of the new set and get confirmation on what exactly is being rotated.

Otherwise I think this looks like a very solid post rotation Steel deck.  It brings the speed, power and counter strategy I expect Steel decks to use and that I use my self.  I'm not saying its the only way to play Steel decks, but it is a very successful way to play when you can counter most strategies and out power most decks quickly with big damage. 

I'm glad that you like it, just get back to me on whether a thin line of metagross would be good when you see the translation. I'll also put it here for anyone else.

Metagross - Metal – HP150
Stage 2 – Evolves from Metang

Ability: Magnet Warp:
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may switch your Active Pokemon with one of your Benched Pokemon. Then, your opponent switches their Active Pokemon with one of their Benched Pokemon.

[M][M][C][C] Iron Cannon: 80+ damage. You may discard all [M] Energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do, this attack does 80 more damage.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 4

I'm glad that you like it, just get back to me on whether a thin line of metagross would be good when you see the translation. I'll also put it here for anyone else.

Metagross - Metal – HP150

Stage 2 – Evolves from Metang

Ability: Magnet Warp:

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may switch your Active Pokemon with one of your Benched Pokemon. Then, your opponent switches their Active Pokemon with one of their Benched Pokemon.

[M][M][C][C] Iron Cannon: 80+ damage. You may discard all [M] Energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do, this attack does 80 more damage.

Weakness: Fire (x2)

Resistance: Psychic (-20)

Retreat: 4

oooh that ability is once per turn?!  That is a really nice replacement for Keldeo-EX and Float Stone, its just not as efficient as playing 2 cards to get that free switch however, it also would provide a very strong non-EX attacker dealing more base damage than Dialga-EX 160 to 150 respectively means an added Muscle Band is 180HP KO's for Metagross while its only 170HP KO's for Dialga.

It's a definite 1-1-1 line, I would suggest a bigger line but with all the Item Locking going on and the added Vileplume for more added Item Locking, it would be too dangerous to have a bigger line without Rare Candies but the chances of being able to play Rare Candies is dwindling simply because of all that Item Locking.

I agree with it replacing 1 Switch, 1 Escape Rope for the 1-1-1 line but I'm not entirely sure on the last replacement, I'll have to take a quick look at the translation of Ace Trainer 

Edit: just looked Ace Trainer over, even though its a situation based card, it would be good at 2.  however since there is 3 VS Seeker, you could always run 1 Ace Trainer and then commit 1 or 2 VS Seeker to reusing Ace Trainer in the mid to late game but that would be something you'll have to make the decision on based on your play style.  

I think that option would require some testing before I can answer that.

The ability will get you 2 EX's at the same time however, it will take up bench space on an already tight bench: 2 Bronzong, 1 Ageislash, 1 Dialga  is the typical bench with something active witch leaves 1 spot free.

So it might work, the biggest problem I foresee is that it can't benefit from having Metal Energy attached to it like Keldo-EX could........worst case scenario if Keldo-EX needed to attack, even if it was just for 50 damage it could, Hoopa-EX however will not be able to attack, the best it could do is retreat by discarding a DCE or 2 Metal Energy that you Hyper Linked to it.....so with that being said once it hits the bench it might end up being like a Jurachi or Shaymin that just sits there not doing anything after its been played and if Lysandre'd into the active spot it will most likely be a free 2 Prizes for the opponent.

Again, it'll need testing 1st though because the speed of the deck at which you should be taking prizes might be able to out weigh the cost of giving up 2 Prizes for Hoopa if its attacked.  So I'm not saying yes or no, just a maybe but I'm leaning towards a yes. 

I'm worried that it will become bench bait after being used but it would be really helpful to get out ex's fast and efficiently.

Ultra Ball, Revive, Wally can all help, especially if you consider throwing in the almighty Klinklang Plasma, which, if set up, can be a metal pokemon godmode.

Also, do consider using some of the following:

- Cobalion (non ex) - great for locking down your opponent's pokemon, especially when they're hiding behind a single pokemon.

- Jirachi ex - great for picking up some essential supporters. Also really helps if you play a deck with only 1 of each type of supporter. (also with Steel Shelter, Jirachi's attack can be pretty neat)

- Mewtwo ex - great for when you need a non-metal pokemon to deal some damage, and can accept the metal energy from bronzongs.

- Scramble Switch - this card works a lot better than computer search in this deck, and helps you out of some really tough spots.

- Max Potion - while not as effective as in fairy decks, this can get you out of tight spots, and you can recover the discarded energies with bronzongs easily.

Also I would switch some of the Metal and DCE with shield energies, which, while cannot be brought back with bronzongs, can block a lot of damage, and save you from some KO attacks.

I've already considered and play tested with my current deck and sometimes mixing it up with pokemon like klinklang can be good but the deck that I am currently using is very powerful and can get fully set up on turn 2. Also I am preparing for the next rotation so I want to keep my deck consistent for the next few months so I don't have to change my strategy next rotation. Mewtwo can be good but it usually takes up space because it cant get OHKO's without factoring in weakness and most physic weak pokemon are physic and almost my entire deck is resistant to physic. Jirachi and Shaymin are about the same draw power and shymin can scoop itself up if it needs to. I can lock with a dialga ex witch has more hp then the cobalion so it can wall better and if they are using a shield, I can dig through my deck to find a Lysandre or vs seeker. Other then that I am happy with how my deck works and if I had more room, I would add your suggestions but my deck is already jam packed with cards.

Archived