Building Custom Decks...

muzikmaestro

Hey guys! I'm interested in building custom decks in RL, but am not completely sure about the balance (as in, how many of each, how many energies, etc...)

Any help/ advice would be great!

I usually like to use about 20 or more energies (usually 22 for me), 10 - 15 trainer cards, and the rest pokemon. These are my personal preferences, so you can adjust these numbers to your liking.

sounds good... any personal preferences as to what pokemon you use? I'm thinking about doing an electric/dark deck but idk...

thumbs_up.png

-WARNING!- This was taken from Pokémon Trading Card Game (1998-2000) - Pokémon Company. [/b]

"(...) I'll give you tips on the types and number of cards you should include in your deck. If you have 3 of a basic pokémon card, you'll want to have 2 of it's stage 1 and 1 of it's stage 2 pokémon. If you follow this rule, your deck will be well balanced. You should have about 14 basic pokémon and anywhere between 20 and 26 energy cards in your deck. The type of energy cards will depend on the type of pokémon you have in your deck. (...)[/b]

Mason Laboratory - Dr. Mason ;)"[/b]

Oh, and you shouldn't have more than 3 diferent types of pokémon, as it get's harder to draw certain energies (not counting on colorless type pokémon).

I really hope this helps everyone having better decks and to get your perfect deck done!

-Jacklogion cool_smile.png[/b][/i]

PS: When I saw your question I runned to my bedroom to get my Game-boy advance SP and the Pokémon TCG to get your answer! teeth_smile.png

I own an official "Deck Consrtuction Guide" mat for the Pokemon TCG. It's quite old, so I'm sure decks are somewhat different nowadays. Anyway here is what it says on it. Also, this was before Dark and Steel types existed.(first gen)

1) Choose Your 2 Energy Types

• Choose 2 types of Pokemon (Lightning, Water, etc,) you want yo have in your deck.

• When choosing your Pokemon types, be sure their Weaknesses and Resistances work well together and aren't too limited. For example, don't choose Pokemon that all have Weakness to the type

2) Choose Your 21 Pokemon

• Now that you know which types you want to play with, choose 4 different Basic Pokemon - two different Basic Pokemon of the first type and 2 different Basic Pokemon of the other type. (You will have 16 Basic Pokemon in your deck.)

• Make sure that 2 of those Basic Pokemon can evolve. One should evolve to a Stage 1 Pokemon and the other to a Stage 2.

• You can add Colorless Pokemon to any deck because thay can use any kind of Energy. If you want to, you can use a Colorless Pokemon (4 copies of it) in place of 1 of your other Basic Pokemon.

3) Choose Your 11 Trainer Cards

• Choose 11 Trainer cards you want to use.

• Choose some Trainer cards that will really help out your deck. For example, if you'll have to discard a lot of attacted Energy cards from your Pokemon, then add cards like Energy Retrieval.

• Trainer cards like Potion and Energy Removal are great because they're easy to use and help out a lot when you're playing.

4)Choose your 28 Energy Cards

• Put 28 Energy cards in your deck -14 of each kind of Energy that maches your Basic Pokemon types.

5) Finishing Touches

• Now your deck should have 60 cards. If you don't have exactly 60 cards, double-check to see if you missed something or added too many of a card type. (Later on, when you feel like you're getting the hang of building decks, you can try changing the number of different cards in your deck. For example, what happens when you add more Pokemon and take out some Trainer cards?)

• Here are the total numbers of cars that should be in your deck: 28 Energy cards, 16 Basic Pokemon, 5 Evolution Pokemon, 11 Trainer Cards.

Remember people, this is an older guide, but still shouldn't be that bad. Let's look at a newer starter deck, "Red Frenzy" to see how some of the new starter decks differ.

• 18 Energy cards (12 Fire Energy and 6 Fighting Energy.)

• 12 Trainer cards ( 10 Items and 2 Supporters)

• 6 different Basic Pokemon (4 Tepig, 3 Darumaka, 3 Lillipup, 2 Minccino, 3 Pansear, 2 Timburr)

• 7 different Evolution Pokemon: 2 different Stage 2 Pokemon ( 2 Emboar and 1 Stoutland) 5 different Stage 1 Pokemon (3 Pignite, 1 Darmanitan, 2 Herdier, 1 Cinccino and 2 Simisear.)

Example of decent combos from this deck:

• Let's look at Emboar his best attack Flare Blitz takes four Energy (2 Fire and 2 Colorless) and does 150, but you must discard all Fire Energy cards attached, well use the Trainer card Energy Retrieval to get 2 of those Energy cards back.. The rest of the Trainer cards in this deck are self explanitory, if you own the deck that is =p

Well, peeps that's what I have for you for now. Obvisouly, add your own style to you decks and think of creative combos. Use the types you want!! Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope it helpful, or at least fun to read.

Mmm... 28 is too many energies, trainer cards are at choise to be used and you may add up to 3 diferent types of pokémon.

You don't need to be that strith. wink_smile.png

But the rest is good.

(And I though mine was too big... xD)

Okay now I guess I'll try to make one.

Choose one powerful card get four of them and choose your rest around it. This is usually a stage two pokemon, but not neccesarily.

Add cards that will allow you to chose cards. Twins, Professor Elm, Togetic, Mantine for water types, Pokemon Collector, etc. And remember to look at all your cards when it lets you search your deck so you know what ones are prized.

Add a handful of basic pokemon that would make good first turns, the babies are particularly good for this. Caterpie gives you 20 damage for one colorless. Choose ones that would survive long enough for you to set your strategy in order.

Really good players can really minimize their energies. Most people play 15--20. Double Colorless energies are really good, get four of these if you can.

Zoroark, Galvantula, and Ciniccino can be played in any deck since their best attacks cost two colorless and are pretty useful.

Keep an eye out for Pokepowers/Bodies/abilites that can be used from the bench.

Mmm... 28 is too many energies, trainer cards are at choise to be used and you may add up to 3 diferent types of pokémon.

You don't need to be that strith. wink_smile.png

But the rest is good.

(And I though mine was too big... xD)

Well sonny... back in my day there was only 151 Pokemon, so we had to throw in more Energy cards. =)

thumbs_up.png

-WARNING!- This was taken from Pokémon Trading Card Game (1998-2000) - Pokémon Company. [/b]

"(...) I'll give you tips on the types and number of cards you should include in your deck. If you have 3 of a basic pokémon card, you'll want to have 2 of it's stage 1 and 1 of it's stage 2 pokémon. If you follow this rule, your deck will be well balanced. You should have about 14 basic pokémon and anywhere between 20 and 26 energy cards in your deck. The type of energy cards will depend on the type of pokémon you have in your deck. (...)[/b]

Mason Laboratory - Dr. Mason ;)"[/b]

-Jacklogion cool_smile.png[/b][/i]

PS: When I saw your question I runned to my bedroom to get my Game-boy advance SP and the Pokémon TCG to get your answer! teeth_smile.png

it's AWESOME to c that other ppl still have that game teeth_smile.png

and yeah i follow those rules too XD

I really hope this helps everyone having better decks and to get your perfect deck done!

Oh, and you shouldn't have more than 3 diferent types of pokémon, as it get's harder to draw certain energies (not counting on colorless type pokémon).

thanks a million you guys!

now, any suggestions of type combos (ie: electric and dark, psychis and grass, etc.)????

type combos are mainly personal preference based on what pokemon cards you want to use, but some you shouldn't use, such as electric and dark, since both types have a fighting weakness, fighting type decks would pulverize it. Really, any type combo can work as long as it doesn't have any major weaknesses. Also, just wanting to add that some pokemon cards require energies that are a different type then they're own type or only need colorless energies for its attacks, such as the first exeguttor card's big eggsplosion. I would reccomend using these types of pokemon in your deck since type variety is always a good thing when it comes to pokemon. It's too bad the new exeguttor card's big eggsplosion requires a psychic energy.

Archived